Open Source Games

Beyond DRM-free

Other urls found in this thread:

alephone.lhowon.org/
wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Development_snapshots
baronygame.com/
minetest.net
escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139695-Gearbox-Homeworld-Cataclysm-Re-Release-Comes-Down-to-Finding-the-Source-Code
boilingsteam.com/ptitseb/hydracastlelabyrinth-installer
github.com/opentomb/opentomb
github.com/XProger/OpenLara
nxengine.sourceforge.net/
github.com/nxengine/nxengine-evo
cdda.chezzo.com/wolfsuit
cdda.chezzo.com/vibrator
store.steampowered.com/app/259680/Tales_of_MajEyal/
github.com/blog/2483-game-off-2017-winners
gnu.org/software/freedink/
winterworks.de/project/hurrican/
play0ad.com/
gist.github.com/1wErt3r/4048722
taisei-project.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Personally, I've been playing Naev a lot lately. The game is a pure autism trap.

www.wesnoth.org

13.0 never ever.

So bad games then?

Pic related is a bad game?

tuxracer.jpg

The game is already perfect.

Do open source engines for previously closed source games count?

Except for the art.

You mean like OpenMW and EasyRPG? Sure. I've been playing PlaneScape in the recent GemRB release.

Call then I'm recommending Marathon Trilogy on AlephOne.

How complete is it?

Been done for years. Bungie used it for their Xbox 360 port.

Forgot link: alephone.lhowon.org/

Nice~ How do you get your hands on the assets?

That actually looks decent. Meant to post:

They are included. The games are freeware now.

I'll have to check the AUR later then.

There are not a ton of OSS commercial games, but ToME is good shit, if you're into rouge-like games.

Also Arx Libertatis I recommend the dev builds because the stable release is really outdated by now. The dev builds has a lot of fancy shit in it and some much needed bug fixed across every platform: wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Development_snapshots

Oh well they are in AUR too. You simply build them. There are a couple of fanmade scenarios in the AUR as well like Marathon Eternal. Great shit.

I have no idea why they the AL devs don't just make a new release. There's been more than enough work done on the dev version to justify it.

Also Ebony Spire (MIT):

Same. I thought the project was dead until I saw the git one in the AUR. And that one is miles ahead when it comes to fixed shit.

Fucking bastards.

Somebody should ask the devs what the hold up is. Arx was a great game and deserves some more attention.

At least they decent job with the Avians.

And new lighting effects. Runs smoother too.

On the subject of open Xcom, is it like a Doom source port in that you need the assets from the original, or does it work by itself?

Apparently, the first Sunrider game is fully open source.

Open Xcom was made from scratch, Like OpenMW. The original source got corrupted beyond salvation.

On a related note, nothing pisses me off more than hearing that a company lost the original source code to a classic game. Looking right at you, Nintendo. Half the original code to their NES and SNES library is lost.

Jazz Jack Rabbit was released on GOG recently, there is a free engine called Open Jazz.

No idea why the embed didn't wok.

Shame it runs like crap on FX CPUs. I need to upgrade sooner than later.

I know of Barony, it's basically Minecraft without the mining and crafting, and more like a roguelike. No meta-progress (die a hundred time doing the same thing to unlock a new skill for your next run), but I wasn't really impressed with it either. Probably more fun in co-op.
baronygame.com/

No fucking way.
Got a list/sauces?

There are actually a lot of good OSS rouge-likes. Zombies are tired shit, but ataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is the first 'hardcore' RL I was ever able to get into.

One example is how Nintendo lost the source code to Link's Awakening and coded DX by disassembling the original rom. Nips do not seem to value archiving very much.

If you want a minecraft clone just use minetest.
But you need loads of mods that already exist just lurk in the forums and you'll get them.
minetest.net

Homeworld Cataclysm is an example of that

For HC:
escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139695-Gearbox-Homeworld-Cataclysm-Re-Release-Comes-Down-to-Finding-the-Source-Code
Has for nintendo that info circulates between developer communities.

Escape Velocity is another example. Then again, Naev and Endless Sky might not exist otherwise.

It's actually worse than that not only they did loose the source code but they also lost the roms.
They were looking for them because they wanted to but it back in the wii "something retro store" and they had to contact the websites of "illegal" Rom and ask for the whole database.
They would never have lost the source if they were careful or if they had released it to the public.
Bunch of twats.

Why do enemy soldiers not lose HP when attacking my tanks?

Are you leaving your tanks with AP at the end of their turns to counter attack with, or are you full moving them?

During an attack, you get two turns and the enemy gets one. When you get attacked, the enemy gets two chances to hit and you get one. This stops powerful units from bulldozing all the weaker ones.

It seems to me most single player games could be open sourced without issue. Especially the indie ones that are usually DRM free anyway. What exactly would happen if, say, Cave Story's code was opened?

Oh so that's what the shield icons mean, cheers

Anyone interested in an open source metroidvania game? Hydra Caste Labyrinth has a Mojo installer now:

boilingsteam.com/ptitseb/hydracastlelabyrinth-installer

I'm happy to see OpenApoc progressing nicely, but it looks like there's still a long way to go until it's the superior option.

This is a new one for me. Surprised I missed it.

wasn't this in japanese only?

Like what?

Not anymore.

UI scaling, better mouse tracking for spells, light effects, runs smoother, and quite a few bug fixes.

EasyRPG has made a lot of progress. I've been playing OFF and VH in it a bit.

Those inconsistent pixel sizes though.

I agree, mate. Not having the source code for Magic The Gathering Shandalar still hurts to this day

HUGE pain in the ass to get the rtp files if Wine isn't in a cooperative mood though.

And people wonder why I talk so much about these OSS engine rewrites. We cannot rely on companies to maintain their own shit.

RPGMaker 2000 had a tiny resolution. Scaling is part of the problem.

OpenMW needs to hurry up with that 1.0 release. Then again, modders are actually still thinking SkyWind will ever be finished.

On that subject, Frogatto is quite nice. I really dig the artstyle

An updated version of Shandalar would blow the fuck out of every Magic Game made afterrwards (except for battlegrounds maybe)

Frogatto almost reminds me of a Wayforward game. They need to put it up on Itch though.

It's not a problem if you use integer scaling. Does that program support that?

Man, if that isn't the fasted way to get me to drop a game.

Practically anyone can put games on Itch. The reason I think that it matters is that it's the 3rd biggest DRM-free platform after GOG and Humble.

Seems it works in 2003 games, but not for 2000 ones.

they already have an open source card game on itch. It actually doesn't look bad.

Forgot embed:

I still need to complete my mod to convert random shit to raw numbers based on probability. Only then will the game be perfect.

Open source misses the point, especially when it comes to games like this. What matters is being libre, so everyone actually has the power to alter the game to their heart's content.

OpenGL support wouldn't hurt either. I mean the game runs on a toaster without it, but it would still be nice to have.

If we're only talking about libre games, we'd have to exclude anything that needs non free assets. I agree that libre is optimal.

And there are purely practical reasons for wanting to be able to have source code that do not intersect with RMS' ideology. Want to run Morrowind on literally anything that will let you? Well now you can.

Come to think of it, I wonder if the OpenTTD guys have ever thought about renaming the project to FreeTTD. It hasn't needed TTD assets for several years now.

Renaming such a long lived project would be a bit of a pain in the ass.

I wish someone would make a libre Battlefield clone in Xonotic's vein. I never cared much for Quake multiplayer.

Holy duplication of effort! There are two separate open source projects to remake the original Tomb Raider engine (TR 1-):

github.com/opentomb/opentomb

github.com/XProger/OpenLara

Actually it was an industrial counter-espionage tactic. Konami and Sega also did it to a lesser degree.

What?

I dunno about that, but one thing companies did do very often in the '80s and early '90s was force their employees to use pseudonyms on their game credits, to prevent talent poaching.

Japanese companies up until the late 00s actively destroyed the source code of some of their games to prevent the competition from stealing it. Not even kidding. That's why the Silent Hill HD collection is such a fucking mess, and it's also why JSRF HD never ever.

Oh and it's also why Mario's movement and jumping has never quite been the same since the SNES era.

Why can't the devs just integrate the mods into the vanilla game? Are they lazy or is there some other reason?

someone could use it to make there own distinct game and it would be competition for the original dev, so they jew up and say no no. it's a retarded reason, but it's a reason

What level of fuckery is this? That's some top tier jewry right there "You can't make a copy of my book IF I BURN THE ONLY EXISTING COPY! MUHAHAHA!" And seriously, even back then a lot of people focused on brand loyalty, they wanted to play a Mario game, not a Jario game that had the same physics.

Odds of that happening are next to nil. Besides, Godot is a thing now, so it would probably be easier just to use that.

children cartoons have rotten your brain

I remember someone asking Pixel the same question on his website only stating he can't. Possibly due to what other anons said that Japanese tend to delete their source code. There is an open source engine for the game called the nxengine and it's much better than the original:

nxengine.sourceforge.net/

This has to do with their culture or something.
As another mentioned about espionage (they can't steal the source if it doesn't exist), but they run off a one-and-done project

Actually, that's amazing. If there's no source code, legally you could never infringe on it by making a 1:1 functionally identical clone of a game

Like I said, it's retarded logic, doesn't mean that jews and nips aren't gonna use it though.

user I hate to break it to you, but I don't think he's the one with a rotted brain.

Doom isn't open-source, the Doom engine is.

Was this the game with fursuits and dildos?

There's an SD2 2 port of NX. It's basically the main project now, since the original engine isn't being worked on anymore.

github.com/nxengine/nxengine-evo

SDL2 port*

It's like a zombie fallout rogue-like. I don't recall fursuits or dildos,

Which means it's open source, but requires non-free assets (Freedoom not withstanding). There is a reason I didn't name this the Libre Games thread.

Do people actually watch shit like this? Why does modern anime look like such a shit? I can't tell if that woman is having a laughing or couching fit.

Yeah?
cdda.chezzo.com/wolfsuit
cdda.chezzo.com/vibrator

WHAT!?

Some companies didn't even have source code in the first place. There was a Square programmer who programmed everything in a micro-assembler which automatically assembles each new line.

That's bad, but it's not quite as bad as DELETING YOUR FUCKING SOURCE CODE ON PURPOSE!!!

Well, I was somehow lucky enough to miss those.

Also, their were parts of Kirby's Dreamland programmed entirely in hexadecimal. Nips are autistic when it comes to programming.

The source code is open, not the assets. For example OpenTTD is open source, but can't include original art, music or sounds for legal reasons and the community has created open and free versions of those. This isn't exactly rocket surgery, dear user.

Widelands if fugly but fun:

Interestingly, Strife's source code was lost but there was an attempt to decompile and rewrite it as part of Chocolate Doom, to the extent that it should be 100% compatible to the original.

Also friendly reminder about Starcraft source code. Not that a proper FOSS project would've touched it, but it's back in Blizzard's claws now.

Maybe that's why the Pokémon disassembly exists and isn't taken down.

That's one of the things that turns me off from open source games. The graphics look ugly af. Even pixel shit indie games look better than this.

This is an old game, user. Have a look at 0AD:

Lugaru got open sourced at some point.

You'll never find a truly good, original open source game because people realize that they can easily make money with those and put them on Steam instead.

They usually put the good open source games on Steam too. For money. See:

store.steampowered.com/app/259680/Tales_of_MajEyal/

We already have Wesnoth, idiot.

Plus there's tons of great closed-source freeware games.

Anyone interested in some OSS Sonic?

The ironic thing is that there are actually quite a few open source games on Steam these days.

Super Tux Kart netplay fucking when?

As soon as they fix Kiki.

Tell me the name of this game, please my man.

She draws some nice tits.

Tanks of Freedom. Made in Godot and pretty fun too.

THank you my niggs.

You can get it free from itch.

I posted this in the /agdg/ thread, but GitHub had a gameoff jam recently, so maybe it has some nice projects?
github.com/blog/2483-game-off-2017-winners

Thanks, user!

>Release for like $4 on a digital distributionn platform that isn't steam

Should I do this?

Wat?

The quads think it sounds like a good idea.

Fuck.

Half of these are Unity games, how the hell does this 'celebrate open source'?

I mean, legally speaking, you could totally replace the assets and sell the game.

Idiots not knowing what open source really means and/or not knowing that Godot exists.

Man, you really like going on about this itch of yours.

I know it sounds like I'm shilling, but would you rather compile it from source?

It's the people running the jam I'm more irked by. Why allow Unity games?

I know, but I like to think I'm a little bit above doing an asset flip, besides if I add in new content people can't criticize shit.

Maybe they are the idiots not knowing what it means to be open source or there is some open-source Unity compiler that I'm not aware of.

It's MIT. So you can literally do whatever you please as long as you give the original authors credit. Though, even with the GPL, you could do what you're talking about.

I don't understand, is there something actually preventing you from opensourcing a unity game? Sure the engine itself may not be open source, but while it may be a less pure open source game, it would still be open source, no?

Why not? That is one of the things open source licenses tend to specifically allow you to do. Anybody thinking you are an asshole for doing something specifically allowed is being an asshole themselves.

FreeDink has been ALMOST complete for going on a decade. It's just missing a few sound effects. Think we could pitch in?

gnu.org/software/freedink/

The fact that Unity isn't OSS means any game made with it cannot be OSS.

Good thread op.

I know, but I'd like to put in some effort at least.

I know.

You'd have to compete with Tiny Metal. Good luck.

It pisses me off to no end that the dev of UnityFall is passing it off to us as an Open Source project. The most you can say about it is that it is partly OSS.

That's not true. This is why clean room development exists. Otherwise you could just disassemble and reassemble the game into an exact copy and distribute it. It's legal to reverse engineer and reimplement (as long as you don't use copyrighted assets like art, characters, or music), but using a disassembly or any of the original binary makes it a derivative product, which usually isn't legal. This is why Wine and ReactOS have to work very carefully to ensure programmers implementing the code can't ever look at any disassembly for any of the code they work on, otherwise it's a horrible legal liability. There have been tons of court cases for exactly this, and it's been resoundingly determined that using disassembly (or proprietary sources) in your own product is plagiarism.

I'm amazed it's still up. It isn't hurting Nintendo, isn't being sold, and is mostly just an educational endeavor, though, so it probably won't get shut down. It's easier to just find a ROM than it is to build one from the sources. It is certainly illegal, but I guess it's not really worth their time to even issue a C&D on it (but I'm still keeping up-to-date copies of the repositories just in case).

It's old, not perfect, but entertaining. winterworks.de/project/hurrican/

Not really worried honestly.

I'm shat too, there will always be hard coded limitations with the "engine" as well as it being stupidly inefficient, as well as it not being open source, They should have just used Godot.

Not wholly true. That's like saying a program cannot be FOSS if compiled by a proprietary compiler. I'm not sure about Unity's specific licensing, but you can make all your game scripts, logic, and assets FOSS, which would make your game essentially FOSS. It would mean that only the code is FOSS, and the compiled product could not be considered FOSS until somebody creates a compatible FOSS replacement for Unity that can compile and run Unity projects with only FOSS components (which is legal, as the Supreme Courts in the US and EU determined that APIs are not copyrightable, only implementations, meaning it's legal to reimplement the functionality of any program, as long as you don't use any of the original source code).

I'm a programmer who has had to wrestle with this shit at work for years. I don't know this shit for fun, and I hate legal shit.

Would you be able to run said game without the non-free engine? What you are describing is the exact opposite of OpenMW.

play0ad.com/

I always thought that this game was great and showed real potential as an Age of Empires clone.

Just nice features.

To be fair, 0AD isn't looking to be a 100% clone of AoE. That said, there are some missing features (livestock, taming wild animals).

It's not an exact clone but it takes a bunch of features and adds a new twist to them. I haven't read any planned feature lists, I hope we get more features like livestock though, I haven't played in a year so I can't remember what the exact differences were.

Pioneer might interest people who liked Naev and Endless sky. There is no story in it though. It's an endless spacefag sim, basically.

Did those games even have source? I'd expect most or all of the coding for those was done directly in assembly, in which case, the disassembly is the "source".

gist.github.com/1wErt3r/4048722

I'd give it better than even odds that the modern annotations have better comments than the originals, even accounting for language differences.

I want to hold hands with her

We all do, user.

Who is this semen demon?

A lesbian, sadly.

The assembly code would contain comments, macros and labels. All of these would be lost when assembling the binary.

It is obvious why comments are relevant. Macros allow programmers to create snippets to be copy-pasted by the assembler, allowing for some basic semantic abstraction, useful for understanding the intention of the code rather than its implementation. Labels can also carry semantic meaning, when a jump label has a name it can convey meaning, something a raw address cannot.

This is also why when you have a piece of minified obscured JavaScript it cannot be considered the original source. The original source is what the programmers use to work on, so it must retain all the comments and other structures.

Not for long.

No such thing tbh. Only bisexuals in denial.

Most women fit into the "bisexual" spectrum. It's an evolutionary adaptation that serves a few purposes, actually.

What're the advantages of being dyiking it up?

When I say 'lesbian' I essentially mean any woman that, for whatever reason, chooses not to sleep with men.

Consider for a moment that monogamy isn't the natural state of affairs for our species and the answer to that gets easier. But we're starting to derail the thread, so I'll leave it at that.

Theoretically that includes asexuals, user.

Nobody has made a free assets mod?

Asexuality is bullshit, user. Everyone wants to fug something.

That would be FreeDoom.

There's a opensource engine for the jedi knight and jedi arena games somewhere on the web. I think it is called openJK and opensomething else here.

I wonder why I don't typically hear more about OpenRA.

OpenJK is the engine for both games and MP. When Disney got the rights to Star Wars the devs released the source code as a fuck you.

Very few women are attracted to women sexually.

Thanks. On Linux, what files should I install to play? I see "freedom", which, per the description, only has 2 levels.

Because we don't talk about it more? That's the main problem with these open engines, people need to talk them up more.

Women get aroused by sex in general. And most of them can get aroused at either sex, but they get more aroused when they see a man and another woman going at it. Even lesbians get more out of porn when there's both dick and vagoo involved, according to some studies.

ANYHOO~ Back to the actual topic of this thread. It looks like some mad fool is trying to make an open source Metroid game.

polygamy.

RIP Hexoshi

That makes sense then. Fucking chads.

Trips do confirm.

RIP? Development has been slow, but as far as I know, the project was still alive.

Utterly untrue. Women are aroused by thinking of themselves in heterosexual interactions with men. Their emphasis is upon their own body, and what they experience. You will see how none of the literature contradicts this.

Again, women focus on receiving heterosexual actions from men. This is in the mind.

And men focus on engaging in heterosexual actions on women. This is also in the mind.

Here is an example of what happens in a research context:
< Researchers lay out a plate of food for volunteers. It contains items they say they would refuse to eat, but also items they say they like to eat.
< Saliva levels are measured, since people drool, seeing on the plate what they like.
< However, the researchers conclude they salivated for the items they do not like.

Humans have the ability to choose.

We are getting WAAAY off track with this. This is a more fitting conversation for Holla Forums or even /christian/ than Holla Forums. The last thing I'll say on this is that while monogamy is not 'natural' per se, it is optimal in 90% of cases.

I got that openJK engine to work natively on linux. I just had to compile it myself with a up to day SDL2 library installed. Both the games it supported worked without wine on linux. Was very nice of the devs to release the source code.

Like I said, they basically did it as a fuck you. I dunno what issue they had with Disney, but they eventually had to take down their repo. It was too late by then though.

Pick one. Seems like a defeat of purpose to release the source code if they were trying to ruin the games for disney. Pirates would have just downloaded it anyways. But now modders can go crazy on it. I actually bought it only because the source code was released for the engine.

Think about it. Open Source engine means that there can't be any gay 'Anniversary Edition'.

Explain yaoi.

eh… nope, I'm not off-track. Someone made the comment, and I replied with factual information. By the way, your fallacy is: ad hominem.

You say monogamy is not "natural". This is obviously untrue. Mate-guarding is a natural behavior. Therefore, in more intelligent creatures, this implies monogamy.

Look how that turned out for bioshock and bioshock 2, lowered sales in the long term since people will just pirate the old and better versions I would have too if I hadn't already bought it. Some suckers at the begining fell for the meme and bought the annivesary edition. But then it died out, with how to pirate the old ones taking the place of long term sales. Especially as the anniversery editions look like pajeets coded it with all the bugs. I don't think they even fixed all those bugs introduced in said anniversery editions.

Uh-huh. And the more powerful males tend to acquire more than one mate.

The items on the menu here are, in some cases verbs. The woman fantasizes about herself receiving these actions. The type of fantasies women of Japan are interested in are not those involving two hyper-masculine men, you will note. One is playing the female part.

Remember, the plate consists of numerous elements. Some of interest, some not.

But in the end it is but the same heterosexual fantasy, in the mind, specifically involving herself as recipient.

"The main characters in yaoi usually conform to the formula of the seme (the "top", or dominant figure) who pursues the uke (the "bottom", or passive figure). Material classified as yaoi typically depicts gay relationships between male characters and may include homoerotic content. Although the yaoi genre is also called Boys' Love (commonly abbreviated as BL), the characters may be of any age above puberty, including adults. Works featuring prepubescent boys are labelled shotacon and seen as a distinct genre."

Now imagine for a moment that Bioshock 1&2 didn't run on any current hardware. My point is that things like OpenMW and GemRB are even better than having the game be DRM-free, since we can actually improve and maintain them at the code level. OpenMW means that an Android port of vanilla Morrowind would be a little pointless, for example.

Prostitutes are "acquired" by multiple parties, but we would hardly consider this the choosing of the men.

The preference is, of the mentally non-ill, exclusivity. The woman does not wish to share her man/men, and the man does not wish to share his woman/women.

In animals, of course, they are not able to enforce this, but the nature of high intelligence demands the truce: monogamy.

Therefore, intellectuals are monogamous.

Both of you fags shut up and go listen to an actual expert.

Retux is a decent Mario clone (mind that Python though).

Oh, because you obviously do not know how to think, I shall instruct you. Your fallacy is: appeal to authority.

The arguments for monogamy and polyamorousness are all in there. Go learn something and let us discuss open source games.

Yeah, no. I won't go to your religious sites. You can argue here. Or, as is apparent, you cannot.

Gotta agree with the last thing said; this is really not the place for this discussion.

Seems Exult is still being developed. It's nice to be be able to play Ultima VII with smooth scrolling.

There are numerous species of animals that mate for life.

I loved Escape Velocity Nova

Don't complain to me! Complain to:

I'm saying Hexoshi will get taken down by Nintendo.

Hexoshi is different enough from Metroid that there isn't really anything Nintendo can do. Now, the Solarus games on the other hand…

Then you'll probably like Naev and Endless Sky.

Merry thanks for linking to that user, this game seems great so far, I'm having a blast

Etuzan Jakusui is her name.
I love her

The Dark Mod is amazing.

It really fucking is. You'd think it would have gotten more attention after Thief 4 failed so hard.

Another open source game I really like is Hedgewars. It's a highly polished Worms clone… with hedgehogs.

Not sure I'm a fan of its interpretation of rope usage.

It could be better but it's not something that ruins the game for me.

Not primates

How did they get the Chipmunks to do the vocals?

The HW devs seem to have a pretty interesting sense of humor.

The current beta has added some nice things like soft shadows and native eax audio.

Mission recommendations?

So there's an open source 2hu game:

taisei-project.org/

It's actually not bad. The character art could use work though.

But are any of them good?

no

It's still a work in progress.

Oh man I remember that from back on half/jp/ did it ever make any progress? There was also a rewrite of EoSD in Python but I don't know if that went anywhere. PCB best.

That'd be hilarious if true. I just assumed they were following id Software's example like they eventually did for Heretic and Hexen. That for a time was under even more restrictive terms than the original Doom license and it was a hassle for port writers when Doom and most ports moved to GPL.

Does Jedi Outcast work reliably in singleplayer? I feel like giving it a play, and they claim it's not.

TaiSei is mostly playable now. Just needs music for a couple levels.

The Dark Mod has a lot of horror missions, but surprisingly, few of them have unkillable enemies.

people here seriously can't complain about washed out brown color palettes of games if they praise morrowind in any manner.

The Ashlands did need more pastels.

Morrowind was never really praised for its graphics. Even when it came out, reviewers said it looked good considering how big it was.

OpenRC2 is an OSS engine for rollercoaster tycoon 2. Some good fun if you've never played it

God I hate reddit

Fitting for a k selected nigger

all her translated work is ntr.

As expected of women.

Had to look up how reddit had a hand in this, then saw this in the article:
God damn, that's pathetic.

Shoo, FBI.
So where's the FLOSS games?

Oh yeah that tank strategy game. I beat all the missions, pretty fun.

Arent most roguelikes open source?

ADOM isn't.

The same redditor apparently gutted an OG Xbox dev kit and made a custom PC out of it.

When can we burn that shithole to the ground?

They gave him an all expenses trip to Blizzcon and bunch of merchandise too. Still doesn't excuse it though.

Gotta start small. Let's start with Dorkly and CollegeHumor first.

Wait!
That was the same guy???
Gonna need a sauce an that, no one can fuck up like that twice

It's not. I remember one of them was a spic and the other wasn't.

I should also add that if it was the same person somebody would have hunted him down by now.

If Reddit dies, we will be seeing a HUGE influx of redditors.

I haven't heard those names in a while.

IIRC, the StarCraft source code came with the devkit. I could be wrong though.

I've been meaning to get into it for some time actually. Got any tips for getting into it? It doesn't seem to have the same appeal as OpenTTD for me at first glance.

That would preclude shit like OpenMW and Doom. Open engine + non-free assets does not equal 'libre'.

That game is just a remake of SuperTux which is programmed in C++. I don't what kind of new content Retux has though.

It's just a clone, not a fan game. They can't take it down.

Yea I was playing through the game just fine, stopped on the level where you are on a ship in the air. The graphics selection was a little buggy though as I could only select pre-set resolutions. I was missing xrandr on my system and I could still get a max of 1440xsomething here I forget so YMMV. But for actual gameplay it works fine as long as you manually copy over the old windows game's contents and place the linux/elf compiled binary in the place of the old game engine's .exe. Along with having to go to the directory manually to start the game from a terminal. You could just create a steam shortcut for it though. I think all the instructions are in the github repo for it.

It uses a lot of Super Tux's assets, but it's actually made in Pygame and the levels are totally different.

People still use that shit? I remember not being able to have smooth scrolling using that.

Wesnoth gets compared to Fire Emblem way too much. If anything, it's more like the Shining Force games on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive.

Ren'Py is actually a fork of Pygame (hence the Pygame mascot hanging out with Ren'py tan), so, indirectly, a lot of people use it.

Also, Pygame development has picked back up recently. And it was always 'good enough' for SNES-style games like Retux and Hexoshi.

It's Fire Emblem with most of the bad things about Fire Emblem removed (durability, excessive single unit value). Really though, it's simply based on Master of Monsters and Warsong, but nobody has actually played those games.

You mean the game itself? It's pretty simple and easy to pick up

What's the best scenario for Wesnoth?

I just tried this. The game can seriously benefit from some control tuning, monster tuning, and variety of creatures. I assume the extremely high health pools are to offset the constant cheap shots you get from the flies off screen, but it would feel a lot better if your health was smaller, but the flies were shorter ranged and hurt more. Climbing platforms into flies just feels awful because you get hit by something that is off screen while the screen also scrolls very slowly on the vertical axis. None of the enemies are challenging or fun yet, just annoying right now.

Otherwise, I can't wait for this one to get finished.

Descent into Darkness

The graphics of Wesnoth always bugged me, I'm not sure if it's the tile proportions or the way attack animations are handled though.

Do you have any examples besides that to justify "usually"?

OK smartass, what would (you) have done with the source code you have no copyright to?

Last time I tried Minetest it ran like shit on my toaster. I'm not really into the autistic stacking game, I am more interested in combat and exploration. Minecraft really isn't that interesting in that regard, it just does a job no other game did before. I thought Terraria would be more to my liking, but even that one has too much mining and crafting for my taste.

I got to one of the later missions on that a while back and found the difficulty spike gigantic. I've never finished it.

this needs more devs.

You can say that about literally every OSS gaming related project.

Neither is finished yet. The sticking point in both cases is enemy AI.

Release it so it can turn into OpenSC with custom resolution, better pathfinding, infinite unit selection, 100 player maps, who knows.

Pretty sure that only applies when you're pointing out the opinion of someone with a reputation who doesn't know what they're talking about, bro. You know, like a celebrity or a comedian.

Better yet

Or just post it on v and watch the shit show tbh

Holy shit you are retarded and can't even read their website.
Freedoom is actually two projects, Freedoom 1 and Freedoom 2.
First one is a fully fledged doom 1/The Ultimate Doom styled megawad with 4-episode levelset, at 9 maps per episode; The second one is a fully fledged Doom 2: Hell on Earth megawad with 32 maps, 30 standard and 2 secret just like the original; Both projects share assets and are not just levelsets but rather complete total conversions of original doom as they replace every single asset in the game, from textures and sounds to enemy behaviour and weaponry.

All the assets for both levelsets, which include pretty much EVERYTHING including enemy sprites and behaviour, weapon sprites and animations, sounds, music, etc. Are completely free under GPLv2 and thus reusable for any non-profit or for-profit endeavours as long as you don't break the GPL clauses.

Wouldn't work. You would have to sanitize the entire codebase to the point you might as well rewrite the whole damn engine.

Not sure what that means but if you meant it's a lot of work I guarantee there are sufficient people in the world who'd be willing to do it.

EasyRPG isn't the only OSS replacement engine for a particular version of RPGMaker: XP has one too, called MKXP. Some games on Steam are already running in it. A couple decent ones are Skyborn and Echoes of Aetheria. Technically, these games are mostly OSS if you play them on Linux or OSX.

Why would starcraft code come with and xbox dev kit? You are wrong.

So that's why Skyborn has a Linux port. Thanks for the info, user.

what the fuck is this?

She's a tiefling, user. Some anatomical weirdness is expected.

It's actually how a normal muscular elbow looks like, just slightly exaggerated for artistic effect or some shit.

I've always wondered, is ToME supposed to have constant fps dips under 60 and sometimes under 40? The game always ran awful for me and I've always wondered if it's just me.

I haven't noticed any major lag except for a second after loading into an area.

Is it just me, or has Steam and the glut of proprietary games that have come with it 'hurt' OSS game development? A lot of projects don't seem to be progressing as fast as they used to.

The Aveyond games from RPGMaker Xp's heyday have MKXP ports too. My memory is hazy, but I recall the first one being pretty decent. Didn't get around to the rest.

You forgot
No one would dare to touch the code. This is why proprietary software is shit, even if you manage to save the source code you still can't even look at it. I would have loved to see an OpenSC, but there is no way that could have happened. Blizzard will rather let their products rot away then lose control. Look at how they declared Warcraft II not fun and just put it into the freezer instead of even releasing it as freeware.

Problem, what happens when a single video game (((corperation))) like blizzard owns all the dev studious and their past works? Does that mean no FOSS game devs because (((copyright))) and no source code releases, ever?

Does MKXP also have an editor, or is it in the same field of EasyRPG's "we'll get to it later" ruins?

Not at the moment. The main focus is getting Xp games running on as many platforms as possible. The focus of MKXP is also geared more for porting games than making new ones. Though I guess you could make MKXP part of an EasyRPG Xp if you wanted.

What, and kill the game?

FOss stuff is aways slow in development, if it doesn't out right die. It doesn't matter if its vidya, an application, or some academic shit someone did for a dissertation.

This is probably bait, but looking at shit like Blender and Krita, that is objectively untrue.

Nah, people with the skills and the interest in Open Source/Libre games development won't abandon their labor for things like Steam. The audience for those projects would diminish, but not the actual people who contribute with code.

Man, are you okay? Do you understand anything you are saying? Where the hell did you even pull OpenMW in this context, the message you are replying to doesn't mention or even imply any connection to OpenMW. Can you process anything you read or are you just rambling?

Oh, okay.

Did you learn about most of women being bisexuals from one of those japanese comics of yours?

They should just release the official source, this is one of my favorite games and I'm not sure how well a fanmade remake of it would fill its shoes.

For all we know, there is no source. It would be a lot easier to make Open Jazz better, I'd think anyway.

Are you? Unityfall is a proprietary engine running with some free scripts and assets. That is the reverse situation you have with OpenMW, GemRB and OpenRA. It also demonstrates why code matters more than assets when we are talking about freedom.

How do you know that?

I'm just a retarded spic with a dream of becoming better than pixel and ZUN and make games by myself.

Since this is the open source thread, I may ask this here:

What are my chances of making a living by making open source games?
I do believe in the phylosophy of FOSS mainly because of spending time on /g/ and reading about Stalman documents and sending him emails.

I've moved entirely to a FOSS setup, trying to relly on pure FOSS software, because I don't want to deal with pirating software (I've already spent my time doing some games on pirated unity and FL studio and blender and zbrush), but I've always wanted to move to a complete open source workflow (blender, pencil2d, synfig, inkscape, dia, open office, agave, lubuntu, lmms, milky tracker, krita, mypaint, gimp, libgdx, godot, codeblocks, Kdelive, Kazam), mainly because I do believe in the free software as a movement, and also because of practical reasons since I don't have to pirate the software and not be cucked by licenses and not cucked because they ask me to buy newer hardware (poorfag).

So, I ask:
Can you survive from making open source games?
I think is much better if I let other people, maybe I'll get fans who wanna work improving or modding my games.

But can you make a living off this?
Can you still sell the games on steam?

Will some faggot rip me off because my code and assets are on github?

Pic related, something I've made these days.

First off, your artfag skills will need a lot of work if you plan on selling freetard vidya.
Your chances of living off making freetard vidya is the same as proprietary vidya: pretty low unless you keep living costs really low and people buy your shit often enough for a stable income. Amateur game development is something you do because you love making video games, not because you want to make loads of shekels.
Technically if your stuff is GPL'd other people could resell your game as long as they release the source code for any modifications they make, but a simple way of preventing that (and the route id Software used) is making your assets proprietary.

You can claim copyright on assets like art and music while still complying with GPL. Plus you can use the open sauce meme to advertise to autists

that doesn't stop touhou from making a quarter million dollars on it's steam game though.

What part of "for all we know" did you have problems understanding? It's basically Schrodinger's source code at this point. There's no way of knowing if they still have it or not.

Look, being OSS in and of itself doesn't actually change much, as far as how much you might sell goes. Most fags never compiled anything from source in their lives. If you keep the assets non free then, legally speaking, pirating the game would be just as illegal as if it were proprietary.

I'm not sure the same case applies.
For tools and generally useful software like image editors, 3d modeling, operating systems, the development is funded easily because there are companies that rely on that software.

Things for entertainment like games don't have that same backing.

more like, "filters.png"

Neither does the modding community, but look at that.

How is that not the case for game engines? People normally pay for middleware to avoid having to roll their own everything, increasingly important as game complexity goes up and up, and there's idtech4 out there waiting to be used by anyone for god's sake!

There are a fair number of OSS game engines out there, but the only one that really shows potential for competing with the likes of Unity is Godot.

i prefer Endless Sky.

I want to FUCK Libbie.

Is EasyRPG the only open source version of RPGMaker? I would like to play those games on Debian natively.

Goats are not for fucking, Achmed.

She's an oryx you dumb nigger.

Xonotic. Uses a heavily modified Quake engine.

Those are still not for fucking, you dumb sandnigger.