Inconsistency in tierlists between pokemon gens

With every new pokemon gen that comes out, they introduce more and more new pokemon, new moves, new abilities, new held items, and new forms to deal with in competitive battles. Drastically changing the preexisting tierlists a lot in the process with each new Pokemon game.

Despite being just an "OU banlist", the Uber tier has proven to be the most consistent tier out of all of them. You can see this with how little the Smogon Uber tierlists have changed over the past seven gens. Retaining most of the usual mainstays from the previous gen's Uber tierlist with each new, passing generation.

smogon.com/dex/rb/formats/uber/
First gen; no returning ubers, because there is no previous gen.

smogon.com/dex/gs/formats/uber/
Returning pokemon from gen 1: Mew, Mewtwo

smogon.com/dex/rs/formats/uber/
Returning from gen 2: Ho-Oh, Lugia, Mew, Mewtwo

smogon.com/dex/dp/formats/uber/
Returning from gen 3: Deoxys (all 4 forms), Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Latias, Latios, Lugia, Mew, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Wobbuffet, Wynaut

smogon.com/dex/bw/formats/uber/
Returning from gen 4: Arceus (all types), Darkrai, Deoxys (all 4 forms), Dialga, Giratina (both forms), Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Lugia, Manaphy, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Shaymin-Sky

smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/uber/
Returning from gen 5: Arceus (all types), Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys (all 4 forms), Dialga, Genesect, Giratina (both forms), Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-Sky, Zekrom

smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/uber/
Returning from gen 6: Aegislash (both forms), Arceus (all types), Blaziken (both forms), Darkrai, Deoxys (all 4 forms), Dialga, Genesect, Gengar-Mega, Giratina (both forms), Groudon (both forms), Ho-Oh, Kangaskhan-Mega, Kyogre (both forms), Kyurem-White, Landorus, Lucario-Mega, Lugia, Mewtwo (all 3 forms), Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Salamence-Mega, Shaymin-Sky, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom

As you can see, whenever newer uber pokemon are added with every revision to the latest Uber tierlist, the new pokemon feel more like Additions rather than Replacements. This is largely because uber-class Pokemon are so powerful, it's generally hard for the uber mainstays like Arceus to "fall down a tier". Making the Uber tierlists the relatively Most consistent between the different generations. Especially when you compare it to lower tiers like OU, where the tierlists can rapidly change because new threats can Replace the old ones. Or even knock them down a tier, if old pokes are made unviable in the latest OU metagame.

Other urls found in this thread:

smogon.com/dex/rb/formats/ou/
smogon.com/dex/gs/formats/ou/
smogon.com/dex/rs/formats/ou/
smogon.com/dex/dp/formats/ou/
smogon.com/dex/bw/formats/ou/
smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/ou/
smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/ou/
smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/ag/
smogon.com/dex/rb/formats/uber/
smogon.com/dex/gs/formats/uber/
smogon.com/dex/rs/formats/uber/
smogon.com/dex/dp/formats/uber/
smogon.com/dex/bw/formats/uber/
smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/uber/
smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/uber/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For example. Take a look and compare the different Smogon OU tierlists over the past seven generations. Aside from a few mainstays like Gengar or Tyranitar, newly released pokemon games can drastically change the newest OU tierlist up from the previous one.

smogon.com/dex/rb/formats/ou/
First gen; no returning ou pokemon, because there is no previous gen.

smogon.com/dex/gs/formats/ou/
Returning pokemon from gen 1: Cloyster, Exeggutor, Gengar, Jolteon, Rhydon, Snorlax, Starmie, Zapdos

smogon.com/dex/rs/formats/ou/
Returning from gen 2: Blissey, Cloyster, Gengar, Heracross, Jolteon, Porygon2, Raikou, Skarmory, Snorlax, Starmie, Suicune, Tyranitar, Zapdos

smogon.com/dex/dp/formats/ou/
Returning from gen 3: Aerodactyl, Blissey, Celebi, Flygon, Forretress, Gengar, Gyarados, Jirachi, Jolteon, Metagross, Skarmory, Snorlax, Starmie, Suicune, Swampert, Tyranitar, Zapdos

smogon.com/dex/bw/formats/ou/
Returning from gen 4: Blissey, Breloom, Celebi, Dragonite, Forretress, Gengar, Gliscor, Gyarados, Heatran, Hippowdon, Infernape, Jirachi, Jolteon, Lucario, Magnezone, Mamoswine, Metagross, Rotom-Wash, Scizor, Skarmory, Starmie, Tentacruel, Tyranitar, Vaporeon

smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/ou/
Returning from gen 5: Breloom, Dragonite, Dugtrio, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Garchomp, Gengar, Gliscor, Heatran, Hippowdon, Jirachi, Keldeo, Kyurem-Black, Landorus-Therian, Latias, Latios, Magnezone, Rotom-Wash, Scizor, Skarmory, Starmie, Tyranitar

smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/ou/
Returning from gen 6: Bisharp, Chansey, Charizard (both megas), Clefable, Diancie-Mega, Dragonite, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Garchomp (both forms), Gengar, Heatran, Keldeo, Kyurem-Black, Landorus-Therian, Latios (both forms), Lopunny-Mega, Magnezone, Manaphy, Medicham-Mega, Mew, Pinsir-Mega, Scizor-Mega, Skarmory, Tangrowth, Tyranitar (both forms), Venusaur-Mega, Zapdos

^ Is everything I wrote just pure 100% Pokemon autism? Meh, probably. But the bottom line is this. Even if you heavily disagree with the pokemon that Smogon chooses for their tierlists, a pattern Does emerge: That the Uber tierlists stay relatively consistent with its mainstays, whereas lower tiers aren't quite as consistent between the different generations.

I had a roommate that use to spend a lot of his time breeding competitive pokemon for OU battles in pervious gens. With so much time and effort he spent in getting great IVs, it's a shame that a good chunk of those old pokemon are just not as viable in the current OU metagame as they use to be. Replaced by better Pokemon species that can get the job done and actually win battles.

So it got me thinking: If I were to build a competitive pokemon team, I might as well make it an Uber team. As I proven above, it's undoubtedly the most consistent and future-proof out of all the tiers. Whatever new powerful threats the upcoming 8th Pokemon generation might bring, I highly doubt they'll ever knock down old ubers like Arceus "down a tier".

I understand everything you just said, but what's the point, exactly?

Well, at least you're somewhat self-aware

If you're to waste your time breeding a pokemon team that is comp viable, I would agree that an uber team would last you the longest

WHY you wanna breed this shit instead of using a simulator is beyond me though

I just don't wanna waste my time like my roommate did. It just seems like a lot of effort wasted for nothing whenever new gen comes along and makes old OU mainstays obsolete or fall down a tier. The tier that's least affected by this is the Uber tier, which has stayed relatively consistent throughout these past seven gens.

Which explains why I mostly just play Ubers now. When the 8th gen comes, I doubt that Uber mainstays like Arceus will ever get knocked down a tier.

7 GENS

You compiled a lot of good data, user, but the issue (at least what I think you're getting at) is that some people want to use the obviously overpowered pokemon - i.e. the Ubers or OU - to play, but there are some devoted players, much like the type you see in the Fullderp threads, who just care about having fun.
Speaking for myself, I usually built my comp teams entirely of UU since they are usually gimmicky but fun pokemon.

There is irony when they deliberately design over-powered Pokemon it's more balanced than the metagame where the "balanced" Pokemon result in the same teams over and over (A.K.A. Chalk)
VGC2017's limitations were actually pretty fun. You had more variety certainly.
Now the VGC2018 teams look like 2016- but with the additions of Tapus, and Mega Charizard Y being really popular despite Rock Slide from Landorus being common.
Another interesting point is almost any other mechanic is dead. Sure you have terrains, Trick Room, Weather (mainly MZardY's drought), and mind games of when a Z-Move will come out (even if whose can do it is more obvious). Buffs, Stalls, even Entry Hazards are fucking dead.
The ocean got wider, but it got shallow-er again.
Nerf Landorus T

If you want fun, get Swoobat with Simple and Weakness Policy, and an ally with Fling
If Swoobat somehow survives a turn
Swoobat's low def will get it killed, but have fun.

I, anonymous, were the one who made that OC though.

IT WAS I, DIO

You lost me there.

Seriously

And besides, even if it's competitive, it has nothing to do with fun. If it's a competition you play to win, not for the audience to enjoy it. It's just masturbatory

KONO DIO GA

The main waste of time here is expecting anything from "competitive" pokemon. You're better off smashing your dick with a hammer than doing this garbage.

Pokemon hacks exist for all generations. If you want a competitive team just hack one in and be done with it.

Then just use pokegen or whatever the fuck it is now. What's wrong with your brain?

Nigger Ubers is all Marshadow, Rayquaza and Arceus shit

What pokemon are in the waifumon tier?

gardevoir and pheremosia

Gardevoir is the only one I can think of that has the right combination of being humanoid and attractive enough, while not being too overtly sexual, and also having a description that sounds reasonable for a waifumon.

Why should that matter?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with lewding the non-humanoid ones. But the question wasn't just lewding, it was waifuing, and you can hardly call a full-on, non-anthropomorphic animal your waifu.

Furries get a bullet in the back of the head.

To be fair, part of the fun of OU is seeing how new things change it. Sometimes the change is good, sometimes it's not, but there's only so much you can do with a game in which random chance is an unavoidable feature of PvP.

The problem with OU is mons like Garchomp and Landorus. They're so perfectly splashable, but they're not quite on the Uber level. From there, it becomes a matter of building your team to counter them.

Don't know if you know this or not, but Garchomp as fallen on hard times this gen.

Landorus hasn't. But yeah, I obviously dropped this shitshow after ORAS.

Garchomp actually touched Uber once but all the new shit overshadowed him eventually. Landorus is perfectly justified to go to Ubers as well, especially now with Z-Fly and Defog adding to his 500 sets. Wasn't one of the arguments for banning Charizardite X/Y in gen 6 their unpredictability?

Yes, he did in gen 4, which just proves how ridiculous base 600s can be. Entire teams would be built around countering him.

Do I even want to know?

Why not?

Z-Fly and to an extent Z-Stone Edge lets him dunk on Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu, who can otherwise wall his EQs and force a switch if he's banded or scarfed.

Oh and on top of that it doesn't even need to be held for the bulky grass types since he also gets STAB on Supersonic Skystrike.

So I'm assuming these Z moves are Explosion-level attacks that you can use once?

Once per battle, yeah. I've heard talk of suspecting the Z-crystals before Landorus though.

Huh. Can you use both a mega evolution and a Z move in the same battle? Seems like a clusterfuck.

Yes. Most of my teams have a mega, z-crystal, and at least one Tapu these days.

I already do. Some old events are just too good to pass up. Like that Japanese event Rayquaza with V-create for example. Or various other events to that are now over or out of reach.
Beats having to ask around on Smogon or Serebii for someone to trade me an event. That's for sure.

No. The point of this thread was just to point out how inconsistent the non-Uber tierlists can be between gens. Even if I can poof whatever pokemons I want now with hacks, it still doesn't change the sporadic placement changes that can happen with each succeeding OU tierlist. They're simply not quite as consistent as the Ubers category, I'm afraid.

Gen 1: Mewtwo
Gen 2: Ho-Oh, Lugia
Gen 3: Deoxys (all 4 forms), Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza
Gen 4: Arceus (nearly all types), Darkrai, Dialga, Giratina (both forms), Palkia, Shaymin-Sky
Gen 5: Genesect, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Reshiram, Zekrom
Gen 6: Aegislash (both forms), Arceus-Fairy, Blaziken-Mega, Gengar-Mega, Groudon-Primal, Kangaskhan-Mega, Kyogre-Primal, Lucario-Mega, Mewtwo (both megas), Salamence-Mega, Xerneas, Yveltal

The above are pokemons and forms that made an appearance on every Smogon Ubers tierlist (Gens 1 through 7) since their respective introductions. A lot of pokes that don't seem likely to fall down a tier to OU anytime soon. It's this consistency that I like most about Ubers. That sort of future-proofness that'll come in handy when 8th rolls around. Assuring me that the species I'm using right now are not just momentarily great for this current gen's metagame.

Well, that, and I also like pitting godlike pokemons against godlike pokemons.

Honestly, I'm glad I dropped it. Power creep is the most obvious sign of a competitive scene dying.

You keep dumping a shitload of words, but you're ultimately saying nothing. What's your fucking point?

Tl;dr - I like Ubers more than "less consistent" tiers.

Wow, what a great idea for a thread. You fucking moron.

I never liked smogon tiers. Legendaries are over the top, game freak themselves treat them like that. But you should be prepared for double team pokemons and on. Instead, the complaining and uninventive autists make up a losers's club where they ban strategies they don't like. The result is that every competitive smogon team uses the same 20 or so pokemons, most of them with high priority moves but none with sure hits moves and on.
The smogon meta is stale, stupid and boring. If only those japs would implement a competent 6v6 ranked multiplayer.

OK opp, I can see that you are very low-functioning and also have no idea what you're talking about.

Wow it's almost like gamefreak doesn't give a single fuck about the balance of their game because they know it will sell regardless and anyone who actually gave a fuck about the competetive merit of the game abandoned smogon long ago due to rampant power creep delegitimizing the game and all that's left are assholes who can't think outside the box and wouldn't know hot to build a team without pokemon that are on literally 40+% of teams like lando and assnigga. There's only 1 good thing left about the franchise and it sure as fuck isn't the metagame.

Which is odd- since nothing in the tournaments tries evasion-spam on a wall or tank.
I guess set-up isn't worth it in case they're taken down?

You can add Mega Charizard Y to that list. Turn one powered-up Heat Waves or Flamethrowers tear through anything that isn't resistant to it. Surprised Stealth Rock hasn't become more common to deal with it and Landorus.

Evasion setup is just inconsistent in comparison to something like Belly Drum Snorlax. Eventually you'll get the short end of a lucky roll and lose a game or match because of it, which is why no one bothers with it in VGC tournaments running best 2/3. Not to mention Z-moves skip accuracy checks.

Neither have I tbh. But the tierlists that Smogon makes generally do give you an idea on "how likely" a pokemon would help you win battles.
Uber-tier pokemon generally being "more likely" to win against OU-tier pokemon.
OU-tier pokemon generally being "more likely" to win against UU-tier pokemon.
So on and so forth. Not a guaranteed win, mind you. In the right hands, it's not uncommon to hear of an OU-only team crushing a noob with an Ubers-only team. The tierlists are just there to give you a generality that a good Arceus may be a 'slightly' more efficient weapon than anything OU can offer.

Still however, it's funny that those Smogon autists even banned Mega Rayquaza from Ubers to a higher tier called AG (Anything Goes). He's currently the only pokemon powerful enough to warrant being in such a tier.
smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/ag/
And despite the name "anything goes", that fucking tier still has 1 restriction they want you to abide by. They couldn't even make a "no rules" tier right.

In any case, I only used Smogon's tierlists in this thread because they extend all the way back to gen 1 battling. To show how Ubers had a pattern of consistent pokemon mainstays throughout these past seven gens, I felt that the 7 Uber tierlists from Smogon did a good job at explaining what I meant. By comparison, the other non-Uber tierlists just don't seem to be as consistent in the pokemon they have listed. Take a look at some of the OU pokemon that are considered good right now, in today's current gen OU metagame. One day, they may potentially be outclassed or "fall in tier status" the day the new 8th gen metagame introduces new threats to deal with. If the past gen metagame changes have proven any indication.

This is some riveting stuff, OP. You must've spent hundreds of manhours compiling all of this information to deliver to us. My god, I can't believe nobody saw it before - legendary pokemon are strong!

Smogon is best to learn the basics. 99$ their EV spreads are 252 x 2 and 4, and those that aren't have been heavily proven.
They'll help you get to 1500 ELO on showdown- maybe 2000 if you're good at prediction.
After that, you want to start using the various damage calculators to work out where you can skimp on EVs to put into other stats. So if your Pokemon can do the job without the max 252 EVs, you can put the remainder into HP/Def/Sp.Def.

The Uber tier is indeed the relatively most consistent. A few previously non-Uber pokemon still do rise to Uber status, like how Speed Boost Blakizen was kicked out of OU in recent gens. Or how some pokemon still do fall from Uber status, like how Garchomp fell after 4th gen for example. But for the most, each gen has introduced a new Uber that has since stayed a seemingly permanent addition to the roster. As seen by my post here:

Gen 1: smogon.com/dex/rb/formats/uber/
New addition: Mewtwo

Gen 2: smogon.com/dex/gs/formats/uber/
New additions: Ho-Oh, Lugia +
Mewtwo

Gen 3: smogon.com/dex/rs/formats/uber/
New additions: Deoxys (all 4 forms), Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza +
Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia

Gen 4: smogon.com/dex/dp/formats/uber/
New additions: Arceus (nearly all types), Darkrai, Dialga, Giratina (both forms), Palkia, Shaymin-Sky +
Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Deoxys (all 4 forms), Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza

Gen 5: smogon.com/dex/bw/formats/uber/
New additions: Genesect, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Reshiram, Zekrom +
Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Deoxys (all 4 forms), Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Arceus (nearly all types), Darkrai, Dialga, Giratina (both forms), Palkia, Shaymin-Sky

Gen 6: smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/uber/
New additions: Aegislash (both forms), Arceus-Fairy, Blaziken-Mega, Gengar-Mega, Groudon-Primal, Kangaskhan-Mega, Kyogre-Primal, Lucario-Mega, Mewtwo (both megas), Salamence-Mega, Xerneas, Yveltal +
Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Deoxys (all 4 forms), Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Arceus (nearly all types), Darkrai, Dialga, Giratina (both forms), Palkia, Shaymin-Sky, Genesect, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Reshiram, Zekrom

Gen 7: smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/uber/
Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Deoxys (all 4 forms), Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Arceus (nearly all types), Darkrai, Dialga, Giratina (both forms), Palkia, Shaymin-Sky, Genesect, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Reshiram, Zekrom +
Possible new additions: Lunala, Marshadow, Naganadel, the 4 new Necrozmas (excluding regular Necrozma), Pheromosa, Solgaleo, Zygarde-Complete

^ This is what I mean when I say that they feel more like actual Additions to the Uber roster rather than Replacements. They always seem take the a good chunk of the previous gen's Uber tierlist and actually expand upon it. Giving the tier a pattern of consistency not found in lower tiers.

Minor correction:

Gen 7: smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/uber/
Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Deoxys (all 4 forms), Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Arceus (nearly all types), Darkrai, Dialga, Giratina (both forms), Palkia, Shaymin-Sky, Genesect, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Aegislash (both forms), Arceus-Fairy, Blaziken-Mega, Gengar-Mega, Groudon-Primal, Kangaskhan-Mega, Kyogre-Primal, Lucario-Mega, Mewtwo (both megas), Salamence-Mega, Xerneas, Yveltal +
Possible new additions: Lunala, Marshadow, Naganadel, the 4 new Necrozmas (excluding regular Necrozma), Pheromosa, Solgaleo, Zygarde-Complete

feelsbadman.jpg

Those have never being popular on VGC tho, SR is good in singles but not in dubs.

X is B and Y is C and on its way back to BL. With the introduction of Toxapex who beats both of them, Landorous stronger than ever and Arena Trap Dugtrio dead, the M-Charzard time is long gone.

This is some ultimate autism

Please bury this shit in porn.

Stop caring about these dipshits. Just subvert them and give them endless emotional pain.