Forcing yourself to complete vidya

There's a vidya that i certainly MUST complete on D&D core rules, and its Baldur's Gate, but every fucking time i do a run on it, i get bored after spending few days roaming and killing things. How do you mentally prepare yourself to git gud at not getting bored by video games? This is my fucking main vidya problem right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCRWUY0T6-pqJ4AcUOgeCq0Q/playlists
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I play games that I'm interested in.

uninstall everything else on your PC including the web browser
or
try not being a spastic?

But what if you both interested in vidya, and get bored by it?

It's one of those games where you need to just chill and get into it. It helps if you use your imagination and get in the world.

Try being retarded. I hear that makes Bioware trash easier to swallow.

This. That counts for any D&D based game.

I've only ever finished games I don't like for dumb reasons.
I used to get into arguments with my friends over games being shit, but they'd say "how can you even saaaay that, you didn't even beeeaat iitt" or "it gets better, I swear!", so I'd play the whole thing so I could tell them they're wrong.
I don't do that anymore, thankfully.

I play games I like. If for some reason I cannot get back into a back after a hiatus I uninstall it.
I uninstalled Baldur's Gate but that was more because of the stupid quests than anything else.

If you're bored then don't play it. Why do you have to complete it?

Be careful though. Forcing yourself to finish a game may cause you to hate the game even more. You'll see it more as a chore than an entertaining experience.

Nigger, you play vidya to have fun. If it stops being fun and you are bored, just drop it. Forcing yourself against your will to finish a piece of entertainment is fucking retarded.

Honestly my reason is that i need to finish BG1 before starting famous BG2, to know background of my companion characters, especially Minsk. I also kinda dislike whole storyline of BG1 as well, not infinity engine combat alone. I just want to believe it gets better.

If you don't like BG1 then why do you think you will like BG2?

both of these are true

Don't do things that aren't fun and aren't making you money.

Because even on Holla Forums there are people who still say that BG2 is the best rpg ever made.

It's not like Holla Forums can't have shit taste.

That's dumb. BG1 is good old early level D&D and not much else, while BG2 starts throwing all sorts of magical shit at you. The story in both is, quite frankly, a little retarded.

This is going to sound super gay, but let's plays help me a lot to get motivated to play vidya that requires a lot of investment, I usually look for an obscure channel for maximum comfy and try to stay ahead of the LPer, so I can play a bit, watch that episode of the LP, then play a bit more and so on. That has helped a lot to finish long JRPGs with lots of dialog.

It almost makes you feel like you have friends, doesn't it?

So basically you pretend to have a friend.

you're right **it does sound pretty gay*

Having weeb friends who just happen to be playing the same long-ass JRPGs as you at the same time as you is probably pretty rare anyway or so I like to tell myself.

Play a bunch of 80's games without cheats or walkthroughs. This one's pretty good.

pretty hard right? specially when there is a ton of good games waiting in your backlog and you just want to jump in and try them,

there are games that are fun and you like it, but inevitably gets left off to the side due to you being distracted and life stuff,
but thing is, sometimes you just want to get through with it, to complete and feel satisfied

I know that feels, and yes, sometimes watching LP makes me feel less lonely, I even have things playing on the background solely for the voice noise
is that weird? I thought this was the reason retarded youtubers and streamers are famous nowadays

I couldn't do this because people who do these videos are always worse than me at the video game.

You watch it on Youtube. You want to know Baldur's Gate for the sake of being knowledgable but you are not interested in playing it yourself. This is not hard to grasp, user.

BG1 is not that good of a game honestly. Everything before the titular city is kind of crap stretched way too thin across an empty landscape. You can speed the game up to 60 FPS to make the process of lawnmowing away the fog of war quicker. Past a certain point you can just prebuff your group and clean out half a map before needing to rest.

Once you get inside the city it starts to get better. There's a reason BG2 starts in a (new) city and spends around 75% of its time there

Back in cuckchan's /vr/ there used to be the gauntlet threads which were a really fun challenge. Basically generate a random number that corresponds to the number of release of a game. You start with NES and you have to beat the game you get within a week, after that you move on to SNES or Genesis and pick another random number and so on.
I got a couple of really fun and weird games this way.

I beat Terminator 2.

I can't stand how disposable games have become so I try to finish every game I buy.

Nothing annoys me more than seeing people with hundreds of games in their library without even playing them.

Or some hyped game that has a 30% completion rate.

There comes a point where wading through a shit game just to prove to yourself that you didn't "chicken out" of anything just isn't worth the trouble. That point is Baldur's Gate.

Every time I play E.Y.E. I get sucked into it for two hours, but I can rarely get myself to push the "play" button.
It's enthralling when I play it, but starting to play it is the problem.
I think that it's the fucky save system that kills my motivation to keep going each day.

That's the most pathetic tryhard shit imaginable.

What's tryhard about taking the path of least resistance?

The trick with Baldur's Gate is if you get bored, completely ignore sidequests and beeline for the story required parts. When I played it, I had to take a break for 9 months because I got burned out exploring every map and doing every quest, then I went to Cloakwood. Cloakwood was too much.

Just skip BG1 if it bores you, BG2 is where it gets really good (coming from someone who does actually like BG1). If you still want to play it, here are two tips that made the game much more pleasant to play.

< Increase the maximum framerate in the setting program
(ingame settings don't have that option). The game's speed is tied to the framerate, so if you increase that FPS cap the game will run faster in every way: characters walk faster, combat is faster, effects wear off faster… you get the idea. It's not cheating if everything scales up the same
< Use the teleport cheat when revisiting a map
I think it was CTRL-J or something like that. Look on the internet for it. I used that cheat when traversing a map that I had already visited, because what's the point of watching your party traverse the same area for the 50th time? I don't really consider it a cheat when it's only used to skip areas you have already been in instead of jumping where I haven't been yet.

I also recommend playing using the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod that lets you play the game in the BG2 engine. Much more pleasant experience. Also, don't try to 100% the game, that's pointless. If the side quests bore you just go for the main story. Baldur's Gate is a pretty rough game, it was BioWare's first RPG and it came out in a time when PC RPGs were considered dead.

why would i force myself to complete something that i didnt enjoy when the entire point is to entertain me? train yourself to not give a shit and go do something you find fun.

I think the original bg2 had a config.exe that lets you double the FPS.

All the BG games are mostly about talking and diplomacy so I advise you to skip them all cause they're trash and play something better like IWD or Arcanum

It's a mystery to me user. All of my favorite old RPG standbys just bore me these days, I can't get immersed and have fun with the mechanics. I always seem to be in a rush, ignoring everything about the game except completing the next goal to move on to the next one, making me impatient, making me bored with the pace.

Is metagaming ruining my appreciation of the classics?

this or TuTu. BG can be a fun game, but it needs some extra love with mods that bring it at least to BG2 standards.

That's amusing since bladder's gates pretty much shit on D&D.

It took the second title to get me immersed in the game. The first playthrough I was dying every time I walked around a corner and had the full 6 char evil party. Expansion was even kind of cool.

The first game never really sucked me in. I only explored enough to figure out where all the best shit was so that I could speed run it. In fact I mainly only played it on my phone at work.

Multiplayer in both games is pretty much just a gimmick, but can be fun with the right friend. The pause function kind of kills it.

Siege of Dragonspear was awful. I was really excited until I found out it was written by blue hair harpies. It wasn't long into the game (around the time I realized baeloth was in the starter party) before I quit and re-rolled out a kensai/mage and just went full murderhobo by killing anyone the game would allow me to. Never figured out the plot and never want to.

rip

I do this and I hate it. So many good games start out slow or shitty and get way better, but a lot more are shit all the way through. It's really hard to tell. I just look for red flags like badly done moral choice system, extremely simplistic combat that can't go anywhere, just signs that the game has nowhere to grow.

On the other hand there are games that are amazing at first, then go to shit. Then I just force myself through to see if it goes back to being decent. It never does, the devs ran out of ideas/time/etc

Well, at least it would be better to watch someone's co-op of enhanced edition games, at least some unique experience.
youtube.com/channel/UCRWUY0T6-pqJ4AcUOgeCq0Q/playlists

First post best post.

That was the best thing to come from Holla Forums in a while. I ended up beating that Tom Sawyer NES game. Made the episode of Game Center where he played that game a lot more engaging.

Try one of the mods that makes it play like BG2.

Don't play boring videogames. If a game isn't compelling then its not good and therefore not worth playing.

I will never play fallout 1 or 2 because of the controls. It's such a hassle to move your little faggy character around the screen. And exploring the areas fucking sucks.

The controls are the least of those games issues, you just click somewhere to move there. What's the hassle in that?

He probably wants a controller.

Also Gothic 1 and 2 is so fucking clunky it's unbelievable people think it's good. It's an exercise in patience. There were games with much better controls than Gothshit

I've found over the years that there are some "classic" games that I just can't get into. BG is one of them. For some reason most isometric RPGs just don't do it for me.

you're probably talking to reddit

If you need to do that you better find another hobby.

Final Fantasies are all shit that I force myself to trudge through. Yes even tactics

Also KOTOR just has awful menus that are impossible to navigate through

That's just silly
BG2 is hilariously overrated as a game

It was made for xbawks.

Maybe he never figured out that your character can run?

What's stopping you from making a gauntlet thread here? I'd participate