imgur.com/a/Fw0IU
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168313.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Of course, link: bay12games.com/dwarves/

Oh god. I can only imagine the mayhem.

Just one step closer to
DORFUS VULT

Here is your reply.

I won't be sated until ritual sacrifice is added. I want something to do with caged invaders other than throw them down spiked pits or feed them to subterranean megabeasts. It would be really cool if you were granted favor from the gods for bringing them something they like. Like a dwarf who makes a blood sacrifice to Armok may get a divinely-ordained martial trance or lucky critical strike.

Fool, hold your tounge! For you know not of what you speak! You have no idea of the deep intricacies of this most high of interactive fictional experiences. Alas, for that is the great folly of those such as yourself, no comprehension of the finer things. Like the fetid swine of my mountain home you are woefully unaware of much beyond the slop your stupid kind so happily indulges in. I will briefly explain, but I have not long for the likes of you…

When I begin a digital play session of Dwarf Fortress I enter the mythical realm of the small people. I am Ulric the Unyielding of the Cyclopean planes and I preside over all my domain with a mighty Dwarven fist. Without me there is no fortress, every day brings a new challenge as I struggle to maintain the sanity of my kin in these troubled times. But with hard work comes sustenance. And with cold steel and brave hearts comes glory!

However, I tire of this heedless chatter with a trifling human such as yourself. I must be off for my dwarves need me. A necromancer most foul has arrived with his army of the undead to bring darkness and destruction to our once peaceful land. The ale barrels run low and the morale of the men run even lower. By Armok I pray we will make it through this day, or at the very least that we shall die as valiant heroes worthy of our proud civilization.

So must I bid thee farewell. May the stones tremble at your feet human.

You're just as much of a faggot for replying to a clear baiter in any capacity.

Install Dwarf Therapist and stop acting like a fucking buffoon.

Make an arena and have them fight caged animals and monsters.

Bump

Sex when?

That's already in the game user, although dwarves are very traditional and only have sex after marriage

is this some sort of bait?
you're really taking that guy seriously?

sorry for offending you

People actually play this autism simulator?
Are there any weebums or stories of how this can be remotely enjoyable?

Thank you to the hotpockets for their prompt action. Hopefully this thread isn't dead in the crib now.

I always get so autistic with the detail of arenas that I never finish them. If I'm going to have an arena, I'm going to do it big.

Its actually a good game. And a with quick google search you will find there is a good amount of mods to improve the UI and graphics. There is even a 3D graphics mod.

It's literally Stronghold with dwarves and fantasy creatures, is it really that hard to grasp?
is way easier to differentiate than 16x16 tile images. I have no fucking clue how anyone plays with those atrocious tilesets.

That's not helpful.

Please leave.

No user, its more like populous and settlers, but with brick based walls and environment.

I'm not going to write you an essay, cunt. Get some taste or leave the thread. How about the Sims? That's a game that children have played, you've probably heard of it. Imagine that, but also annihilating Muslims. That's Stronghold Crusader.

I already knew he was going to say what he just said about Stronghold regarding Populous and Settlers. I was already going easy on him.

At least it's slightly different from the usual "everything I disagree with is bait". If you have nothing to promote the game with it must not be very good.

If you are not even going to put forth the effort to copy paste a game title into YouTube and watch 1 or 2 minutes of footage to figure out what a game is about, then this game really is not for you.

See you double nigger, I already watched upwards of four hours of youtube on it. Fuck me for assuming enthusiasts might be able to show someone looking into it what's so great about it instead of screeching.

That was a shitposter.

Webm related.

Again, I'm not here to write an essay for you, and you sure as fuck aren't trying very hard either. You haven't given any frame of reference or starting point, you more or less entered the thread and snidely asked everyone to defend the game without even presenting what you think is wrong with it besides ASCII which I already addressed. Evidently you weren't watching very closely for those four hours. DF isn't particularly groundbreaking in the overall game concept. Management games have been done before. The unique part about DF is its insanely detailed simulation.

Grab the lazy newb pack, choose a tileset in that under graphic (pheoebus is a popular choice) then instead of playing dwarf fortress go play rim world for 20 hours since that game is essentially a sci-fi dumbed down version of dwarf fortress. That'll give you the basic flow better than any youutbe video could anyway and provide the conceptual stepping stones needed to get into the game. Then watch a short video on how to setup your first fort with basics (mostly just making a farm, meeting hall and dormitory, as well as a manager and bookeeper). After that just fuck around a google when you need to know how to do something (dwarf therapist is your friend, and after you lose your first fort to goblins or a beast look up how to use military alerts and set up a military, you can mostly ignore anything about danger rooms these days - they're still fast but you'll be fine doing regular training)

I'm not saying you NEED to play rimworld first or anything, but if you are interested in dwarf fortress but can't get into it its a good place to start even if it lacks a lot of the depth dwarf fortress has because a lot of the moment to moment flow of that game can be translated across into dwarf fortress knowledge.
Don't judge dwarf fortress by what its state was years ago either, I tried to get back into it way back and found the UI too annoying to use, its a lot better these days for people starting out (just the ability to goddamn mouse click helps a lot in some cases, although the more I play the less I use it).

reminder: if you need mouse support or a tileset, you are bitch-made

2cat

Next you'll say real purists don't use dwarf therapist

Make three different mazes filled with traps and dangerous animals then make the goblins go through a running man esque competition. The winner gets to live another day then gets thrown down a pit with some kind of danger down there. If you really want to have fun have a few different rooms after the finish line the first one the winner gets caught in gets to be his fate where the pits under them have different horrible deaths waiting such as drowning, fire, bear, or have it drop down into your armory archery range and have him killed by firing squad.

I haven't played this in years. Are coins and currency back in fort mode yet?

How do you teach someone with no tongue or teeth to enjoy chocolate? Consider yourself lucky you'll never know the burden of possessing a functioning frontal lobe that requires stimulation now and then.

Just press 'u'

I'm new to dwarf fortress. Is this a good time to start playing? Is it really that hard to get into, or is just the memes?

Now's a good time, but you're going to run into bugs since the release just came out. It's not hard to get into at all, it's mostly memorizing they keyboard shortcuts and knowing how to take care of your dwarves. The latter is something that you can figure out from videos or just following a guide from the wiki.
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

Memes. It is a game of trial and error, though. You will fail but you won't fail without learning something to help you last longer and better next time.

It's just memes and retards intimidated by ascii.

I started back when mine carts first came out and I still haven't gotten around to trying them.

hownew.ru

That's not so hard. You play enough roguelikes, you begin to memorize all the key-binds quickly.
I like to go in the blindfolded and have it surprise me.

I might post my first fortress story, since that's how I first learned about the game.

If you like roguelikes, you might like the adventure mode as well, but it's not exactly a roguelike either. It's more open without any goals. If you wanted you could be a bard in a tavern and get into brawls when people say your singing sucks, for example.

This is a good way to go. People unfamiliar with the game don't realize there is a vast ocean of calm comfy between the immediate dangers (like starvation) and the big bads that come later. There is no disaster that should happen to your fort more than once unless you are slow. The first time necromancers peered down the air vent into my butchers shop and reanimated an army of camel hairs was also the last time I made a straight vent shaft.

I actually like adventure mode and I think it would be great if any RPG could have that amount of autistic detail.
I wish there would be quest mods because the generic quests are just not interesting. I want a proper adventure

pic related

ebin

Yeah I heard about adventure mode. I like how it simulates an actual world and not just a dungeon. Like I could get picked off traveling from A to B by a wild animal.

I only know to avoid aquifers and (obviously) tiles that have a lot of evil. I predict my first few playthroughs will end in mass starvation.

How could there be an interesting series of quests that tell a story but also fit in to the unique history of your generated world? One thing this game still needs is artifact keys that you can assign to doors, so there can be megabeasts and ancient undead necromancers sealed away for hundreds of years.

Eventually, you can build a series of pumps and drill a path straight through aquifers. Your first fortress will probably die of thirst. The second one will starve.

The artifact release could lead to needing to go after an artifact that a beast is in possession of, requiring you to train up and gather fodder allies. But, that's all determined by whether or not a situation like that happened in the world, unfortunately. The problem with procedural generation.
I'm mostly looking forward to the magic update where artifacts will be more than just noteworthy items. Instead, potentially useful noteworthy items.

Traveling alone in the wilds?! You know better than that.

Don't play smart, I just basically want a quest in a preset world but with this gameplay.

Has he fixed the fucking bug with not being able to construct buildings if the only accessible tile is diagonal, but without actually suspending the construction or giving any indication as to what the fuck its doing?
How about the "crossbow dwarves refusing to practice" bug?

I think art descriptions might be the funniest and best thing in Dwarf Fortress.

Remember Planepacked?

Game grows ever more complex and we are still stuck on a single fucking CPU-thread.

Fucking finally

The website sucks, went there looked at screen shots and couldn't tell what so ever what time of game this is.

I guess it's some kind of building game?

Should be able to do that at their site
Embed the dang pooptube vid in thread!

So I saw this retarded story about i thing a dwarf chopping a lion in 2 with another dwarf.
Any more like this?

Failure comes from not knowing what to do.

Look it up on youtube. Find a playthrough and watch the first few episodes.

All I got.

I'm sure it would be possible to thread any read-only processing in the game like searches. The only reason someone would avoid doing that is because they are not comfortable with their own programming ability. Very easy to make multithreaded code run slower if you don't know what you are doing.

ur a fagit

cloakcuck

Cuckchan begone!

So actually is there like a breking point time wise when everything goes to shit forever as something like and end game or does this shit go on forever if you are good enough?

That pic actually is the kind of art AI bots generate, maby some could be integrated into the game in the future.

Depends on where you start.
Start with an aquifer zone and shit will can go south anytime. If you're neighboring a tower, necromancers will raise every dead thing that they can see when they come in(even refuse). Goblin sieges are huge now so they can overwhelm even a legendary+10 squad wearing full steel. Then there are forgotten beasts and titans which can come with absurdly broken stats(if it has web don't even try to melee it).

Giant cave spiders can no longer paralyze bigger beasts.

This was a while back. One of my more memorable encounters. I've also had a crystal golem that shot webbing and a fire breathing gorilla. I've been able to destroy the ones I have seen. Most of them are easy to beat with a small group of dwarves.

Learning Dwarf Fortress is easy, just use Dwarven Theraphist at least as first so that it doesn't become too overwhelming.

But this is a video game, not real life.

Actually is there any tool for readiing fortress-scale combat in real time? It doesn't feel as good when you cannot observe it more directly than with a report.

Call me when they add necromancy and multithread

*multicore

To what end?

You can spit on yourself in real life, can't you?

Spit on your dick. Use wrestle on dick.

You can pretend to be black.

Guys help please. I spit on a dwarf and got into a fight, I don't know how to attack and only threw
female pond turtles at the dwarf but I ran out of turtles. What do? How do I attack?

这猫啊,逗死我了呀,脸儿那么大,真是只大脸猫

shift+a

what the fuck

You could mod in a race that has acid spit.

Man if only there was a way to poison alcohol or just straight gas them

You have a public tavern, I'm guessing?

user that looks like a trade caravan.

I had literally nothing. They all congregated next to my starting wagon.

The trade caravan is gone and it was a dwarven one

Just set up a tavern outside the defenses.

I have never gotten Elves to stay before what did you do to have that happen?

I had this happen once. Somehow I created a fortress where several were located. They never left so I imprisoned them.

Set up a tavern inside a flooding chamber.

2cavy

Magic artifacts soon? I want my legendary socks and wooden toy hammers to do something FUN

I'd build the gas chambers but I need to ready up my fortress for sieges and necromancers
Last thing I want right now is more corpses for the necromancer to raise.

Next major release is the magic and myth release part 1. Apparently a portion of this current release was to set up for magic working with artifacts.

I hope I comes soon
**In less than a year I mean*

My only hope is that current release will be playable by the end of the year so I can celebrate new year like a complete fucking autist.

Crossbow dwarves refusing to practice is 99.99% user error and .01% user error related to using different types of bolts for combat and training which bugs out quivers.

This. To me it's pointless to play the newer versions because it's impossible to get a long lasting fort going without dropping below 30FPS within 50 years, even when using every little trick to reduce FPS loss, DFhack, limiting population, limiting production, using smaller maps, etc, etc.

Is adventurer mode running better for anyone else?
In the previous release it was borderline unplayable for me because I would get terrible input lag and I'd lose control of my character until all the inputs were fulfilled. Now its running for me like a normal roguelike and getting 2000fps.

Haven't played this game in about 5 years. Doesn't chopping down trees make elves avoid you? Chop trees, make a stockpile next to where they are standing.

Trying to sell them lumber will also make that particular elven civ stop sending you caravans.
They also may invade you

Even better

I'm making a world with a long history and large population to check. The only times when adventure mode lagged for me was in large cities.

Cant remember why, but I am pretty sure its better to avoid elven invasions if possible because of fps.

Don't they start stealthed?

Okay this is weird, there is 11 elves hanging around my wagon.
I suppose this is something toady will have to sort out.
I just hope they aren't consuming my provisions.

Elves and goblins both don't die of old age so their populations can get really huge if the world generation didn't check them.

A bunch of dwarf immigrant children just vomited all over the fucking wagon.
It started with one and the rest saw him vomit and it started a chain reaction.
The entire wagon is green.

Natural reaction when seeing elves tbh

Not seeing a difference in frame rate in large cities.

DO NOT go to war with the ducks.
You will lose.

How about mouse support. Does it have that yet?

It's ARMOK VULT. Get it right.

SERIOUSLY THIS GAME IS DRIVING ME CRAZY, ITS BEEN 3 DAYS SINCE IM PLAYINGS AND I STILL DONT UNDERSTAND SHIT ! HOW CAN I MAKE A FUCKING BLOOD TRAP ? HOW CAN I LIVE CRAZY ADVENTURES WITH MY BEARDED FRIENDS ? HOW CAN I TAME DRAGONS AND CONSTRUCT BROTELS FULL OF FREE HOES FOR EVERYONE ? SUMBODY EXPLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN

Which is the best version of dragon pass to play?

uncropped version?

you have two options

"Guests" are about to be accomodated

OY

Got a negromancer siege before I could finalize treblinka.
I guess that takes care of the problem on its own.

Call me when it has mouse support.

At least use NKVD camp names. Stop pushing false narratives.

But user it didn't happen
Treblinka was just a recreational camp. The fact that the door was left unlocked during an undead siege was pure coincidence.

ok this is most certainly a bug

Spit on your loins until you geld yourself.

No mouse support? Wtf kind of game is this, no fucking mouse support?!? Fuck this game

Blood is an useless liquid except for how you can drink it in adventure mode. Dwarves will try to clean up blood and I'm not sure if seeing it has any effects on them, maybe they get stressed.
There are no prostitutes in dwarf fortress.
I don't think dragons can be tamed.
Adventure mode is mainly about risk management. If you know your shit will get pushed in don't try. There's nothing to do other than be a psychopath or a hero who kills dangerous monsters and night creatures + the means to get the tools to do so. In 15 years it'll probably be the best roguelike ever though.

This is some religious shit

They can be

Is that you Jeb?

Its like pottery
It rhymes

You can embark on a dragon's lair if you know where it is and trap and kennel it.

It probably will be a feature that comes out in the magic update. Let's be real here.

anyone have an interface.txt for tenkeyless keyboards? specifically, having the arrow keys take priority in the interface and with reasonable diagonal selection / movement binds that i can never seem to bind comfortably?

There is vomit all over my wagon and my ducks.

Next update is magic.

not gonna lie, this thread and the website brought tears of joys to my eyes. i saw another dorf fortress update in my life time. I fear I don't have very many opportunities left

Please, user.

Now I know what to play in the weekend

quick question, I built a u/d stairs and it opened a cave system below it. There's no way anything can get in my fort if there's no up stairs to connect with my ud stairs right?

Wrong. Floor the whole thing and then wall it over just to be safe and then wall it off again.

Even if there's no floor under the stairs, there's things that can fly, user. You are never truly safe.

Does fortress mode run better yet?

Runs well enough for me, but I don't know what you have. Try generating a large world with a long history to stress-test your comp.

the Ganoo Loonix version didn't get the update, though

Fucking finally.

>Goes outside to play.
>Cancels playing make-believe because he's too insane.
>Attempts to play again, only to realize he's too insane to play make-believe.
He's spamming my announcements now. I can't do anything about it.

You need to kill him somehow.
I had a kid go out and make some weird object earlier, I was taken off guard and hoped I'd get to see a kid go breserk.

Also for those of you suffering from bizzare elf/mercenary guest visitations:
If you get sieged just designate your interior as a burrow, undesignate any areas they'd want to hang out in, then designate the surface as a tavern and they will sally out and fight your invaders. If they kill all your invaders, problem solved. If your invaders kill them, problem solved.

WHERE THE LINUX BUILD TOADY
WHERE

When elves show up and get all uppity demanding shit, what you should do is what's always been done: tell them to fuck off.

And then drop magma on them.

Haven't played in forever, but did they ever fix the danger rooms? Is late game fps still shit?

Art by some gamer called tangobat. 3 variants.
imgur.com/a/Fw0IU

Can't rightly say because I haven't gotten that far yet, but I've created a world with all parameters at maximum (large world, long history, etc) and it was a breeze, whereas it'd lag at least a little on earlier versions. I think you're going to be alright in the late game.

Dunno, I never use them. What problem did you have?

The actual images so you don't need to click on that imgur link.

Dwarves cant ride and that's whit abnormally long legs.

Dwarves need war ponies to ride on.

DarkerDark was a good artist, shame he's packed it in.

i like the idea of dwarves using muscular animals like giant boars and ponies to transport soldiers like dragoons or mounted chasseurs, they dont fight on horseback since their mounts are short and slow and they can maneouver well on horseback as the tall races because of their short legs, instead they just ride the animals to transport heavy armored soldiers into advantageous positions.

i meant they can't maneouver well on horseback as the taller races because of their short legs (cant balance)

I embarked near the Lake of Cancer, a sinister area.
Three seconds after I unpaused the game the whole lake just falls down 5 levels and becomes a monstrous waterfall the is destroying my FPS.

Also, the lake has water tiles on the borders, so I suppose this lake will fill up eventually. right?

It lives up to its name.

Well, maybe I should abandon this fort since I've just noticed that the lake fell 5 levels because it's connected to a river, so it'll never fill up completely and I'll have eternal map-edge waterfalls.

Just retire it.

I have seen them more of a chariot/karbantos, warwagon, wagenburg and animal drawn artillery people.
Having a a rapid response ranged unit in the style of dragoons is an interesting idea.

But then again I am not against Boar and Bear Cavalry or even Goats.

Is there any use for drift wood and peat yet?

I suppose you could use it as fuel if you're willing to dabble in modding. Add "Peat" as a custom material and make it usable at smelters and fuel-consuming workshops (forges, kilns, glass furnaces) by adding Peat to the list of materials usable as fuel in the Reactions document. I'm not an expert modder or anything but that's a possible option off the top of my head. Make sure to have a backup of everything just in case.

A werebeaver ambushed some children that were drinking by the stream and killed one of them. I set my civilians to panic mode and the werebeaver followed them into the fortress because I haven't built my drawbridge yet. It turned back into a human right as it was stopped by the two dwarves guarding my entrance. They got into a wrestling brawl because I haven't equipped them yet and tumbled down the stairs into the crafting district. Eventually my guard dwarves corner the human in the stairwell and literally tear him apart. The stairs are drenched in blood and dwarf teeth are scattered across the surface level. Now we have a child to bury.

why

Those two guards that wrestled the werebeaver became werebeavers themselves and slaughtered pretty much the entire fortress, spreading their disease in the process. We would be finished if it weren't for the hero Zuglar, who single-handedly tracked down and punched all the infected to death. He felt nothing as he murdered his peers for the preservation of the cause. Four survivors remain. Hopefully migrants arrive soon.

How effective are wrestlers?
I've been considering trying a harder embark with no metals and wood and that basically boils down to turning your army into the gay community.

Back in 40d, before the combat/military overhaul, dwarves were nasty with wrestling. Your lazy ass could flip your citizens over to military mode, and suddenly half a dozen or more dwarves charge and wrestle the faggots and basically rip them apart and stuff. A legendary wrestler was basically unstoppable, unless arrows were involved.

Otherwise, I don't know how they are now

Anyone got any hot tips for what you should/shouldn't embark with?

Nothing

No really, try it. Turn off migrants, 7 dwarves, no items, tools, or anything. It's pretty easy nowadays, but you basically can't really dig until the first caravan. But you can forage for berries and plants to brew booze, even make wooden training axes for woodcutting and crude shelters.

Or embark with a single pick if you're feeling zesty, no trading

Last time I played, they were basically useless. Given enough time and dwarves, they'll eventually get the job done, but it helps if the target is smaller than them and unarmed. Giving them literally anything would increase their lethality.

That being said, raising their wrestling skill should keep them safe from wrestling moves being used on them, and they'll probably pick it up naturally during sparring or combat.

Thanks you assholes now I gotta waist more of my life on a video game:^) never seen the game be for watched YouTube now I gotta play it, the only thing that was a put down was no mouse support but I guess there is something to fix that. Good thing its for linux

I picked up dorf fort in 2008 or so and played for a long time, then got a decent vidya machine and moved on to other games. I'm thinking about picking it up again, but a shitload has changed - I struggled with the military update, and dropped it completely when I had trouble figuring out how to effectively use minecarts.

Is there anywhere that I can find a good summary of everything that's been added since?

More of her?

I tend to have 4 miners to make the early game digging quicker. Add a carpenter and that makes 1 axe and 4 picks. I also remove all the cloth/thread/wheelbarrow/stepladder stuff that's either easily made or can be bought from the caravan.
For animals I bring a pair of water buffalo (if your biome can't support grazers bring pigs instead), a cat for pest control, and several dogs (a male and some females for war dog breeding). All the remaining points I spend on food, booze, and coal

Don't embark with wooden shit like buckets, splints etc., if you're embarking on a map with lots of trees, it's just a waste because that shit's easy to make.

I'm playing for the first time. Adventure mode. I talked to a queen and she told me that they're having problems with a roc. I used T to leave the area and now I'm in the wilderness. I got thirsty so I drank from a river. I'm hungry so I'm trying to pick something to eat. For some reason I can only pick leaves. I lick them but can't eat them. Trying to figure out how to eat before I starve to death.

Come on, you avoiding the best part. Managing hospital during outbreaks is great fun.

It was still the first year, and most of my dwarves were dying or dead.

Any news?

It’s the little things that make this game something I want to play, but won’t, because it’s not 1983 and mice exist, apparently unbeknownst to the developer.

So problem was really small and easily manageable. And migrants come soon since good fps on 1st year.

You can use your mouse for designations, but what else would it even be good for? I could only see it slowing me down if I were to use it for menu navigation.

Yeah so easy to manage with a couple of dying dwarves.

I hope all of you faggots will stay filtered from df forever.

Update: Finally tried the game out. I think I choose a pretty good place to settle. There are a lot of dwarven cities to the west and all the evil is long south of my base.

I dug up a decent colony in the mountain. So far it's pretty simple. Anyone have any ideas how to gather food?

There's a thread. The delay seems to be based entirely off Toady, and the community at large, being hardware illiterate. Read it and weep.
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168313.0

(d)esignate areas with vegetation for plant gathering
You want to get farming though. up and running.
(b)uild 2-3 farm (p)lots and have a dwarf with the farming labor enabled. You can do above ground plots (which yield human crops) or underground plots (which yield the dwarven fare: plump helmets, pig tails, etc). For the latter you want to build the plots on soil (which you have) or muddy a cave floor by covering it with water first. Once they're built, choose the crops you want on each crop per season. Make sure to build a still to brew drinks from part of your produce.
You can also butcher your animals in a pinch, or hunt animals by having a dwarf with the Hunting labors enabled kill animals with your military because hunting is a crapshoot, then change the standing (o)rders to allow gathering vermin from outside. A "Butcher Dead Animal" job should queue automatically at a Butcher shop wherever a valid corpse is on the map. Butchering generates a ton of stuff so have a refuse stockpile outside or in an enclosed room to prevent miasma. Set a bones stockpile as well (for craftsdwarves/bone gear), or else they will clutter the butchery making further work slow.

Almost forgot, there's a long standing bug that comes and goes where you can't butcher tame animals that have starved or dehydrated (common if you forget to assign arrivals or newborns to a pasture). If you keep getting job cancels from not having a corpse available (even if it's sitting in your dining room) just dump it and let it go.

Pure fucking cancer.

Which music fits for DF?
Currently: Edited Passionate Blood and Guts with tense moment removed, as menu, dark ambience intro and Behelit for gameplay.

Made in Abyss OST

Food:
You want to set up your kitchen and still as soon as possible, then find some underground dirt to build farm plots.
(z) will bring up your status. You want to make sure you always have tens time the food as your dwarf population. Same goes with drinks but you can slack a little if there is a stream to drink from. In status, you can see what seeds and plants you have in stock. This is how you will know what to plant. Most of the time, it will be lots of plump helmets in the beginning. Also, in (z) toggle "cook" to off for all the plants that can be brewed. Now, see what animals you have. For any grass-grazing livestock, you will need to make a zone (i) above ground in the grass, set it to pen/pasture (n), then assign those grass eaters to the zone. You can build a farmer's workshop, milk animals, then turn the milk to cheese. Try and have a couple females for every male of the species. If you end up with a male, but no females to mate him with, designate him for slaughter in your butchery shop. It's good to have a butchery shop anyway in case your dwarves decide to do some hunting. Finally, make a room, fill it with nest boxes, pasture it, and stick all your poultry in there. Your dwarves will be sick of omelettes, but they will never starve.

(heiled)
truly shit taste

You don't understand. He's a true stoic. Completely unphased by death because of its inevitability, he delights in the fighting because it is a practical means of self-improvement. Also, I was mistaken before, I don't know who first spread the infection but this dwarf that went around and culled all the infected was the same dwarf that beat the original werebeaver to death.

dorfs are smallboys

I like any fantasy chiptune soundtrack like FF. Disasterpeace also fits well. Song related really fits the bustle of a teeming fort of dorfs.

thank you sir may i have another

Has anyone made a fort where they capture invaders then kill all the males and strip the females then chain them up around the fort? Bonus points for killing the males infront of the females as they will get depressed from it.

This is some nasty goblin shit user.

If they weren't prepared for the consequences they shouldn't be stealing dwarven kids.

Won't the dorfs get scared when they see the go-
Looks like I got some good ideas today.

i dont see how this will get me more ale

It won't get you less ale either.

i cant just keep sober guard dogs

I wish I had remembered to take screenshots, but here's a short story at least.

I killed 200 elves

You’re an autistic lunatic who is degenerating humanity.

I a) was just thinking about what to do about this, and b) wish that I could have put this filename as /d/warf fortress

invasion from USA

this, i always thought dwarf fortress was open source too until I looked. It's not. fucking botnet.

The Argives and Spartans are not impressed.

The werebeaver incident has decimated my fort but the food stores should last us until the next migrant wave. My only concern is the miasma cloud on the ground level which will likely drive my dwarves mad long before they manage to drag that entire pile-up of corpses outdoors.

His lunix system apparently died, he is working on getting it fixed.

Get your ceramic industry going nigga. It's pretty basic at first but once it really kicks off you're gonna make more money that you'll ever know what to do with. Oh yeah, I think that's fire clay you have there, so you lucked out. You won't need to glaze your pots so they can hold liquid.

I only used 40 dwarves to do it though. Sallied out to meet their ambushes/raid/invasion. Everything got blobbed up, and my military just tore through them as they came in waves to my entrance. Only something like 10 minor injuries when all was said and done, no casualties. I'm saving the bones, not sure what I want to do with them yet.

also, I didnt screenshot it, but I had an announcment some time ago which read that one of my philosophers/librarians had made a litterary breakthrough.

He invented using interviews as sources.

Anyone have anything similiar happen?

I was completely backwards on what was really happening. Those two guards were the only werebeavers after all. Zuglar, who I naively called "hero" and "culler" was really just punching innocent dwarves to death. And his partner As was even worse. She killed 10 dwarves in her rampage. Now she is the fort's only citizen, dutifully guarding the entrance as usual.

Minecarts are hard to integrate into a fortress, dangerous and congestion can get ugly.
If you're going to make a cart system I suggest you first use it to accelerate hauling, in my setup workshops are all close to the central staircase and around them are storage rooms with materials, around that is a minecart system that leads to even bigger storage rooms for materials and finished goods. I planned to make the system also help dwarves get around but quickly found out it's not much benefit and they were better off walking.

Just like in real live.

A man can dream

If toady open sourced DF i bet a ton of autistic fans would help out for free

Open Source unfortunately is no longer viable, it's currently the primary stomping ground for leftists and they are commited to ruining any project they get their hands on. Toadey would have to rule with an iron fist in the samr way Linus Torvalds does. Most of the so called Linux community are virtue signaling leftists that want to kick Torvalds out for not being politically correct.

has anyone tried out the new raid system?

otherwise
no thanks

Yeah, it's pretty barebones right now and can bug out if you cancel a mission while your squad is on it. But it seems to be a nice to start wars and secure valuable artifacts. I imagine that when the Magic Update drops that raids will be a must since getting a specific powerful artifact could be the difference between life and death for your fort when there's more magic available than necromancy.

I couldn't imagine trying to untangle all that code at this point in the game. I respect that this is his personal project and he makes all design decisions, so we'll just have to bear with it. Maybe when it's feature complete he'll reconsider.

And here comes the retards who post completely unrelated things.

It will go open source when he dies, legit it is in his will.

can I burn the elf trees to the ground?

The last of the werebeavers is now sealed away in this room. The ghost of her victim, Odom Townlulled, has never left her side since his death.

I just want to build a comfy hamlet.

I'm fairly new to Dorf, but I really don't understand.
Is the game being developed by only one person?
And why can't this Toady cross-compile or do it through a VM if it requires to be done native-ly?

Toady, while ambitious and bit autistic, is not exactly a competent programmer in comparison to the challenges he is facing.

The dude's a mathematician originally. Even after all this time I think he's still learning as he goes along.

You have developed a potentially terminal case of casualitis, along with an extremely dangerous example of normismus. The only cure is to delete all social medias, cast off any and all friends, and, if you're above the age of thirty, to quickly reverse your age as soon as possible. If you are for some reason unable or unwilling to complete the pretold instructions, the only solution is to commit suicide.

the solution would be if toady were to work on the interface for a bit

There is no problem with the interface. You remember the keyboard commands then hide it completely. Frankly, it would be a complete wste of time to try and design a more "user-friendly" UI just to help exceptionally stupid people get into the game. Especially since you will never truly satisfy the stupid people. Once you start accomodating you will find there is always something else that is too hard for them or not spelled out clearly enough. Next thing you know, the game has become Minecraft.

yeah yeah autism

Two people, Tarn Adams (Toady) and his brother Zach (Threetoe)

Is this what gaming has become?

You might be the one with the mental disability, actually.

More like sour grapes.

if youre going to make this argument, why even run dwarf fortress on a computer when you could play it tabletop?

Because I don't have any table I can plug a keyboard into.

That is not even remotely similar you casual. Gnomoria should be more to your speed.

gee that was quick, makes me think youre using morse code and not using carrier pidgeons. but you wouldnt be that casual

Stay mad kiddo.

an efficient to the point post. how out of character

Self driving cars are becoming a thing because of retards like you.

And this is why grimmoria, rimworld and others are highly regarded. Even "craft the world". People want to play, they don't want to program the game.

by faggots.

>>>/autism/
>>>/1983/

RULE 7 MOTHERFUCKERS REV UP THOSE REPORT BUTTONS

Have you actually tried learning how to play this game, or did you just look at screenshots and make this judgement yourself? It's really not hard dude. There are a handful of keys you use most of the time, and when I forget the less common ones, the game's menu tells me exactly what I need to press.

I don't see them saying anything about mouse. You should double check your vision, that augmenter was probably an imposter.

On second thought, you're just a hothead and first to get thrown out of the plane.

Even Satan tired of your shit.

So play those games instead. Name one good reason why Toady should have any incentive to take the time to overhaul the UI just to accommodate you?

If you followed Cataclysm DDA development you would have a different opinion

well thats a loaded question, and ill give you the best "defense" for the shitty interface anyone has ever posted in these threads and the only legitimate reason.
toady just does whatever the fuck he wants and it would be awful to try to pressure him into doing otherwise because this is a work of passion and leaving him to his own devices is probably the best way for the game to wow us with new features.

if you mean to ask how it would benefit the game? well, the answer would be that for the most part its really sloppy and it slows things down, some aspects far, far more than others.
intentionally keeping the interface as bad as it is for the pride of a few autists with more time than sense is a comparatively nonsensical reason. that they would feel stabbed in the back is nothing short of a mental issue.

Nigger, button press memorization is a part of playing games, the UI is designed to show you which keys do what but any experienced player can invoke every function without having the keys tab open.
Get good you whiney little faggot, if the UI is too obtuse for causal faggots like you than that is ultimately a good thing.
The only people who have difficulty with the UI are people who never bothered to learn it.

It's really not all that complicated as it's hyped up to be, you're just intimidated by it because you haven't played it for more than an hour.

It's not even hard to learn there are only like eight hotkeys you need to know and if you don't know what something is there is a hotkey to examine shit too. Fuck there are like fifty tilesets for casuals that can't into ASCII anyway how fucking casual do you need to be to not figure out DF?

oh please user, this isnt a fighting game its a sandbox. a doll house with a few rules strewn in to it. the way to impress people is not a pointless claim on having mastered the interface, but in creating interesting stories.
do you even have a real argument, or are you just going to pepe post until you feel youve scared off your predators?

If they simplified the UI, added button prompts that can be mouseclicked on the bottom of the screen, these same people would complain that the game isn't in fully 3D.
The only legitimate complaint people have is the lack of multi-threading support. Which is something even Toady understands is an issue which is why they aren't getting rid of quantum stockpiles any time soon.

Everyone is yelling at you because you are too retarded to learn those button presses. Only you think it's something that would be worthy of claiming to have mastered. You are projecting you retarded sape.
Creating stories as you have just said is the entire point of the games design philosiphy, so why the fuck should they care at all about the UI? You are contradicting yourself. If the central point is again, as you had said, "in creating interesting stories" that does not denote for a more simplified or complex UI. You are arguing on a strictly emotional basis because you 'feel' that the game is too difficult to learn, and so that the game should be made easier for you.

anything that goes towards moving the game along to get to the interesting stories will work towards getting the interesting stories, how is it so difficult to arrive at conclusion like that?
now do you actually have a reason that it would harm the game to have an improved interface?
what a wild imagination you have. its very hypocritical of you to suggest that im projecting or arguing from emotion.

But that's purely a user based problem, people who bother to actually play the game, you know the ones who are actually relating these stories don't have complaints about the UI because they had bothered to learn it. If you say that the UI is too difficult, then there is no end to what can be ruled as "too difficult and must change", because there are tons of other aspects that can also be said to be hampering the ability to elicit interesting stories. namely ASCII graphics and 2D Z-based planar viewing.
Again the problem is purely conceptual from a potential users standpoint, while actual users have no issues with it. If you are removed from the equation than the so called problem ceases to exist, therefore your personal inability to comprehend the UI is the source of the issue.

You are advocating for the games design to slide down the slippery slope of casualization. If you cannot learn then that is a personal problem. Quit your bitching or go play something that was designed with casual audiences in mind.

IT IS NOT HARD TO MASTER THE INTERFACE. JUST SIT DOWN FOR 10 FUCKING MINUTES AND LEARN TO PLAY THE GAME INSTEAD OF WHINING ABOUT LITERALLY NOTHING.

If something this simple to use is keeping mouthbreathing retards like you out then I honestly don't mind. It's the equivalent of a fat person giving up because he has to climb a waist high fence.

Man I am glad I built my defenses and isolated the "guests" before that became a tragedy

Also this

you cannot have a solid argument if you base it entirely on theories like that which fail to stand without blowing things ridiculously out of proportion. why do you continue to compare it to skill? casualization removes depth and features. having a poor interface is not a feature unless you just really enjoy the sound of your keyboard.

i never claimed it was impossible to navigate. it is inconvenient and sloppy.
its really impossible for anyone to argue otherwise without insisting that i cant play the game.

It slows you down. It doesn't slow things down. It would make the game better for you. And, quite frankly, you seem like a fucking retard. It really makes no difference except it would help you along because you have some kind of learning disability. It wasn't a loaded question. You just seem to be living rent-free in your own head, convinced that something you are personally too stupid to get the hang of is an inherent flaw that affects everyone.

You wish you could get into this game and make those stories but can't get a handle on the controls for some inexplicable reason. That frustrates you, then you come here to piss and moan and become more butthurt because your skull is too thick to grasp what everyone is telling you: The UI is not complicated. It doesn't slow people down. You are just retarded.

It's not a theory. It's a law by this point. You have proven that you are retarded.

Linux port still dead. From a cursory review of the linux thread, Toady might be able to recover the data from the HDD.
Which, since he has the source code for Windows already, wouldn't matter since all he'd have to do would be set up a VM and build there.

That's literally a feeling you are having and not something you can refute with a reasoned argument. If you could you would have posted one instead of claiming I was using "theories that cannot stand".

Again this is a personal opinion or 'feeling' which is something you haven't explained or provided any reasoning for. Maybe you could actually provide an example of what a streamlined or "simplified" UI would look like and function like instead of repeating the same non-arguments over and over.

So having to use a keyboard is the problem? Then I can safely reason from that then that unless Toady implements a direct neural interface between your brain and the games process, than the game is "sloppy and inconvenient."

Here's an example of the "theory" I laid out.

I know they back up their source to the Smithsonian but it sounds like it hadn't been done yet.
I can't imagine the changes themselves are too difficult, but it's probably a large process to port it all from windows at the same time.

THE WEREBEASTS ARE TURNING THE HUMANS GAY RAAAGGGHH

Time spent planning and developing a better UI is time not spent making the game Toady wants to make. It's perfectly functional as it is. Maybe once the game is actually finished it'll get a better UI. In any case it's not a problem for anyone with half a brain.

Oh shit that's right, DF is literally art at this point.

Open Source is a government sponsored subversion movement trying to crush the FSF with he power of jewish space lizards.

Now if DF was free software toady should probably tell others to fix his spaghetti code and nothing else. I trust that the quality of the content he adds will keep people from making or using forks directed at gameplay changes, because I think almost anyone else would fuck the game up terribly.

it is an inefficient sloppy interface. this statement has nothing to do with how i feel since it can actually be made faster. a well designed ui minimizes the time a user would have to spend using it while not sacrificing function. and in the case of a game like this, not sacrificing the decision making. you wouldnt want the game to play itself.
if were going to use analogies ill use one thats less of a ridiculous non sequitur and also less of an emotional appeal.
customer service bots are at their best when you have to spend as little time as possible dealing with them. getting to the point is the top priority. despite what modern trends suggest things can improve without taking a step backwards in another area.

examples? build could benefit from having interactions that are more like designate instead of working purely in rectangles and squares of limited, often too small sizes. why do these farms need to be this small? speaking of building, a dwarf could try to build in a manner that wont trap him. maybe something like when determining where to stand while placing a wall make sure you have a clear path to booze.

i really wouldnt want to interrupt him. if it hits him then whoopee.

What does AI and pathfinding have to do with interface? What does the size of farm plots have to do with interface? Are you trying to say that the game shouldn't be on a grid? What does that have to do with interface?

The UI couldn't be made faster, and you can't even show an example as how that can be done. The UI doesn't sacrifice any function whatsoever, and you can't even put into words what those sacrifices are.
Your entire basis IS emotional, you haven't give any examples as to how it could be improved, the game exists anyone, and we actually play it, the fact you need analogies to express how you feel shows you don't understand the game. We have to use analogies to explain the game to you because you clearly have no understanding of how it works or functions.

You mean the fucking farm BUILDING? You can make as many plots of farm land as you want, you can make several strips of farm land if you wanted. You aren't even complaining about the UI, you're complaining about the games core functionality. I was completely right in saying people like you would push the game down a casualized slope.

Wow user, did you become this thoughtful by attending college?

*exists for anyone who actually plays it

i never said it sacrificed function. im iterating on how a better interface has nothing to do with casualization. i have no idea how that confused you. hey, you realize the one that threw a random analogy out there was you? figured id indulge you and thought it made sense to attempt to use one that actually had some vague parallel with what were conversing over instead of whatever the hell you were talking about. i dont think theyre a good avenue for argument, personally. but sometimes they help to get an idea across when there is a lack of clarity. i guess i need to use them more often if youre that baffled by everything i type.

of course i know that you can place farms next to more farms, but when building anything theres a strict limit to how much you can place at once. farms are just one example. an example i was asked for. of course when provided with a good example the next step in your delusional stance is to claim it is not a UI thing.

i suppose my interaction with the other user bugs you since it got to the point too quickly? must everything be so arduous?

Yes and as I explained it's necessary as you clearly don't understand the game or the implications of what you were demanding.

That's literally not a "UI thing" that's a game functionality thing, everything works on grids and path finding and those grids interact with other grids. UI is how the player interacts with the game. If you order one unit to attack another unit, the limitations of how that unit can attack is not UI related, what is UI related is how the player ordered that attack.

It's because your statement is a contradiction of your behavior you moron. If you wouldn't be willing to pressure Toady into making changes you are willing to spend hours arguing about in an ideas guy tier vague manner. Then what is the point of arguing with it about total strangers who have zero input on the games creative process.
You are mentally deficient and add nothing to the conversation other than "TO HARD PLS FIX"

Couldn't they at least make the project public?
Doing so they could actually get a feedback from more savvy people and avoid having to release a build (which seems a bit of trouble for them).

How could the interface be made better?

i dont see how im contradicting myself. i feel less strongly about it than i would a new amusing feature. but i still think the UI is garbage.
why would i need to be hellbent on seeing it improve in order to have that opinion?

How can the UI be made better?

I think you meant

Because if you aren't actually committed in wanting the changes then what fucking good does bitching to strangers on the internet does for you? So you can vent? So you can blogpost that you don't like it then cry out when no one buys your emotional garbage venting?

Also again, you still haven't demonstrated any actual problems with the UI or even posited a way that could improve it.

He will never provide one because he simply feels that it should be made better.

weve been through this

You suggested there should be no limit to the size of a farm plot. Very good. What would make the UI better?

You listed an aspect of the games functionality.
IE Pathing and the grid nature of the games world.

Dwarves trap themselves because you didn't think about how they would get the materials and how they would approach the job site. If you understand how these things work than they never occur even when doing complicated tasks like digging refillable lake reservoirs for underground wells.
And how you don't like that farms work on grids.
None of which was a UI problem which is what you've been bitching the entire time about in a vague manner.

allowing you to place larger farms, its pretty straightforward user. when interacting with larger farm plots you spend less time fiddling with them. its not complicated. maybe you could select multiple farms at once, or 'combine' them in to one entity.

sure, trapping a dwarf isnt a mistake youll probably not make that often after the first time. but there could be less convoluted workarounds for something like that. in this instance, rather than simplifying the ui there could be functions that force a dwarf to stand for example, on the northmost side when building.

is Joe wearing suspenders and belt at the same time? what is the point?

That's completely retarded and would remove features from the game and hinder the players interactivity, and do you know why? Because often times trapping a dwarf is something you intentionally do, so if dwarves automatically unstuck themselves it'd require players to do something convoluted to prevent that. If you don't want your dwarves to get stuck, all you have to do is fucking pay attention to the logistics of what you had asked them to do.

There are many uses for getting dwarves stuck, one such use is trapping dwarves/guests that you wish to starve to death, trapping werebeasts, protecting dwarves from being killed by an invasion or by a werebeast attack, quarantining plagues, and a lot of complex build projects will benefit from a trapped dwarf as it forces them to keep digging and do nothing else.

This reeks of you not understanding the game and not taking any time to learn to play it. Again you are a moron and want to casualize the game.

Is farm size your only real complaint? Besides the fact that it has nothing to do with UI, farm size is the thing slowing you down and making the game feel too sluggish to play? What the fuck are you doing in this game that covering ridiculous amounts of area with farm plots is vital? I've never needed to build more than a 5x5 plot at once, in any situation? Are you holding off building farms until you've reached 200 population and have of them have died of thirst?

They gave him a belt because they had no other good place to clip the mic receiver.

Youre just scared its too difficult for you, and being a whiny baby about it. Consider that to everyone youre trying to make fun of you appear to be a little baby.
Youre not even capable of expressing what youre really upset about.

The UI is the games mechanics. A great part of the allure of the game is exatcly in how this works. At any point in time, you can chose any point on the screen, and "zoom in" on it. You have an universal magnifying glass. The "stories" everyone talks about happen nowhere "inside" the game, but in the player, not playing them, not "seeing them", but by discovering them. Dwarf fortress, even in Fort mode, is less of a management/building sim, and much, much more of a historian/detective simulation. That's what the ui is, and that's what the fun is. Seeing, say, a bloody weapon laying somewhere, and then being able to slowly piece together how it got there, by inspecting the area, characters, relationships, motivations, etc.

What you want, is for the "cool stories" to be easier to find. Which is litteraly asking for an "easy" mode.
The fact that you cant seem to grasp the UI is not at argument against it, but quite the opposite. Go back to watching lets plays on youtupe and write articles for kotaku, and stop spending your life so eargerly telling everyone around you that you are an immature idiot.

You can just fork it yourself and improve it if you hate the ui so much.

What should I do? Maybe turn her into a last ditch defense against goblin invasions? Or build her a proper home so my fortress can never truly fall?

Send her to the elves

FUCK. YES.

Use her as a guard dog/lookout
Make a 1x1 burrow outside the fort and place her in that and then wall her in with fortifications.

2D Dwarf Fortress is the only good version.

Prove me wrong

2D Fortress IS the best version.*
As an ant farm simulator.

LEWD

I do like that there is a greater incentive to dig deep in the 2D era, given that there's less material overall to use. It was much more plausible that you'd find it by accident, and it felt like you were actually rolling the dice when you kept going deeper. With 40d and beyond having like 100 layers before hitting the good shit, it feels like you only dig deep if you are going exactly for the dangerous shit. What newbie is going to strip mine that deep?

Fortunately this has been mitigated somewhat by the subterranean caverns, though I wish there was greater reason to dig into those, especially given what's hidden in there. Subterranean tree farming and grazing is nice but it feels like you're sacrificing one danger for another.

Adventurer mode is the funnest shit ever.

Have you ever played NetHack, you fucking nigger retard?

nethack was trash

oh i see the point youre trying to make. the old ascii roguelikes usually have a pretty decent interface that minimizes your keystrokes to achieve a desired effect and otherwise generally strive to be as sensible as possible. it is never intended as a hurdle in these games.
likewise, its not "intended" as a hurdle in dwarf fortress, its just 6 times as sloppy.

LINUX BUILD IS UP FREEDOMFUCKS

Has anybody tried playing with an older save in this version? I built a super awesome perfect fort with super fun defense layout, where cave spiders webbed corridors while magma blobs spit on enemies that tried to avoid the fire of oncoming ballistae etc. But then, I stupidly put weapon traps and saved just before a siege. Haven't played since. I hear from the version report that it should be compatible, but did anyone try?

One of the best play throughs I had was a Jiu jitsu fighter that became a necromancer vampire. He died by his companion when one of his zombies attacked a town.

Funny thing you say that, because it actually is. That the graphics don't show it is another matter :^)

Did I fuck myself from the start?

try a helpful program called dwarf therapist. its a 3rd party interface that helps to organize your dudes and assign jobs. most jobs are inactive by default unless the dwarf has any skill in that area, so you might not actually have anyone who has those jobs activated.

it could take a while but you should be able to buy seeds from the caravans, especially if you request it. make sure you take that liason seriously. get an anvil from him too, if you didnt embark with one.

Did you make sure they have the correct jobs enabled? Workshops always require whatever job that uses them enabled on at least one dwarf to build. Same with picking plants, it is not the same job as farming though it is under the same category. 2 fish dwarfs is overkill, I usually like to make a ranger/fishdwarf and equip him with a crossbow and hunting dog.

Also, you have possibly 70 seeds. Did you make sure what you are attempting to plant is something you actually have a seed of? You also need a broker/someone keeping counts to have proper information of stores. You also have a jeweler as you are your starting party which is kind of useless. Just make the first useless migrant into one and have them pump out cut gems until they become legendary.

No you must have seeds. See on the top there? Animals, Kitchen, etc. Arrow over to kitchen. Then kitchen has subcategories. Tab over to seeds. It's the second one. Unless you manually removed them in custom set-up, you brought plenty of seeds on embark. Dwarves may be refusing to gather plants because there are no gatherable plants on your biome. You're better off because below–ground plants are easier to work with.

If you look there, you have about 200 food and about 70 seeds.

Oh yeah and press 'q' then cursor over a worskshop you placed. It will tell you the status, whether it's in the middle of construction, done, or hasn't been started. It will say "needs ____" with the job you need in the blank. Press 'u' Look at which dwarves are idle. Sometimes nothing is getting built because they are all busy moving stuff to stockpile. This can be a problem in the beginning when you only have 7 dwarves and designate too much to dig out at once. If nobody is idle, wait a second. If dwarves are idle, assign one the job that the workshop requires.

Don't assign jobs like that, use the manager.
Also make sure to make use of loops, for instance my manager tells dwarves to make 20 thrones if I have less than 10 thrones and more than 50 stone and checks for that daily. He also tells dwarves to turn all bone into crossbow bolts.
I recommend you keep dwarves who deal with important crafts from hauling, that'll speed them up greatly because they commonly haul what they produce themselves.

I'm talking about professions, not jobs. Is there a way to assign professions through the manager screen?

Professions tell what the dwarf is skilled at, not what the dwarf is actually doing. You can make a fisherdwarf dig tunnels, and eventually the fisherdwarf will turn into a professional miner that also knows something about fishing.

After eating so many goblin sieges, being able to siege them back is a wonderful thing.

Spoilers: Goblins fucking lose

Can you send out siege weapons now, or are they purely defensive still?

I think that will happen when you are able to build boats/wagons.

I've heard about that. I want to avoid using programs that take away from the authenticity, if necessary.

I just left my dwarfs alone for a few minutes, figured they'll be fine. I got some trader, but all he wanted to sell was leather. I also got a shit ton of apricots this season, so I think I'll be good for the winter. Thanks for all the help. I should stop bumping the thread now.

They're purely defensive, and they're absolutely useless in my experience

You're not understanding. He was asking why his dorfs aren't building his workshops he ordered. It's because he has to check the required profession and assign it to a dwarf. Don't half-read posts and then give misleading, irrelevant instructions.

The Empires of Viginity was a human civilization from the far north. In the year 299, their empire, which was founded in year 1, stands at exactly one township with 186 citizens, of which, half are deemed outcasts, roaming the nearby area in bandit gangs such as The Peeking Virgins and The Greatest Virgins.
They are the laughing stock of the civilized world, having contributed nothing of value to the world in all their years, presumably spending all their time masturbating to engravings of kobold girls.
They have regularly waged war with the nearby elven civilization of The Infallible Shore, most recently in The Fierce War (293-294), which consisted of a single battle, in which the elves lost several hundred soldiers, and the humans, in return, only lost one single life. Having lost one soldier, however, they immidiately surrended and gave in to the elven demands.
"The Past Realm" which the Empire of Virginity call home is named as such, one can only assume, for the inhabitants futile attempts at living in the past, as one can gather from the few pieces of their litterature that has survived, self-indulgently exclaiming: ">tfw 280 was 40 years ago"

so is it finally a video game, or still a Vim interactive spreadsheet ?

If you could load like 20 bolts at a time and use a lever to fire them off, they'd have some value.

As it is, they're shit.

Ballistas are pretty good, though…
…if they're made from high quality siege engine parts
…if you fire them from the end of a long, 1-tile-wide corridor.
…if you tip the bolts with high quiality metal heads.
…if you can get your operators behind enough cover that they won't get sniped inbetween shots.
…if your operators have high skill.
…if said operators aren't eating, drinking or sleeping.
…if you have no dorfs in the line of fire because they don't discriminate (or you don't care about friendly fire)

Some critique
-Build some up/down stairs (d-i). You can build them right underneath each other, keep going down with the same up/down stairs which is useful for multiple layers being able to access a common route. A lot of people make them 2x2 sections going down so multiple dwarfs can path directly up or down rapidly.

-Your fort has multiple entrances which makes it easier for things to sneak in and steal shit or fuck with your dwarfs

-Preferably you should make hallways 2 tiles wide otherwise dwarfs bump into each other which sometimes leads to shit being dropped

-You lack a meeting hall and common sleeping area so dwarfs are sleeping on the ground and getting unhappy/have nowhere to properly congregate

You have apparently lacked the number 1 thing most new people do which is accidentally flood their entire fort attempting to irrigate/build a well.

So I accidentally found the vast caverns with a giant magma lake sitting directly under my fort. How fucked am I if I tunnel right next to it and have it drain lava into a pit for my workshops? Even if I take all the proper precautions I assume that hellbeasts will swim through the magma and start fucking up my dwarfs. Should I just have a rotating crossbow dwarf sit and guard the shops or is it a relatively rare occurrence.

Have not seen this one before, most people just say lol 2 cat then exit. GJ on the new insult to DF that does not even make sense. You seem to be confusing dwarf fortresses interface with aurora's gameplay

Accepting a rescued prisoner was a big fucking mistake

You only have yourself to blame.

There is a difference between hellbeasts and magma beasts. you have to dig further for the hell beasts But, creatures will probably eventually crawl up from the magma.

Goblins don't eat, drink or sleep.
She likes fistfights so make her train in a corner 24/7 and when she masters everything related to Kisat Dur use her as your trump card.

You forgot

Instead of digging through the wall, dig a fortification instead. Any harmful creatures should not be able to pass through.