Clang

KSP, Simpleplanes, Space Engineers, and any similar games where you construct and drive vehicles welcome.
Share your creations and wacky planes marvels of engineering from history.

Simpleplanes download here: #!RxZB2JTQ!nmOl1jjtGBWIXij3CvpWwUalBWQElzSdppbXJnxwF0U

Also why the fuck does my plane wiggle horizontally whenever I try to turn? Are the wings too big? Does it really matter if your center of mass is behind the center of lift? Send help.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_roll
forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/152496-122-contract-pack-defense-combat-advisors-dca/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_yaw
simpleplanes.com/a/3meT9G/sdkfz-222
simpleplanes.com/a/Dy026W/Desert-TankFor-Challenge
simpleplanes.com/a/0943Cz/XLR8-GT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You know what you've invited

Wasn't there an old japanese game just like Simpleplanes or did I dream that?

?

;^)

You're probably thinking of YSflight

That server had some damn good times. Glad someone else tried to thread the needle with that monstrosity of yours.

Time will tell, maybe we can make it happen again
and this time I won't make shit webms like this one

I think it was for the Playstation.

we all make mistakes

Impressive, very nice.

I don't get it. It just does flips.

impressive

Clang you say?

like a bank or a roll?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_roll

I can't make anything, nothing fucking flies.

>>>/clang/

i wish they hadn't removed the perpetual motion bug, that shit was fun to mess around with

There's Cargo! The quest for gravity I guess, if you want a weird twist on this genre.

make a rocket

Can that still be included now that the almighty Clang has supposedly been sealed for a thousand years?
Regardless, requesting some glorious abominations of astronomical engineering for inspiration.

What's the secret to stable pure canard aircraft?
Mine sperg out whenever I push the stick forward, three-surface designs like webm related are the only ones I've managed to get into a somewhat flyable state.

to be honest surprised I have not seen any 9/11 recreation webms yet.

I'm having fun with a game called Robocraft.
though the building mechanics are a bit retarded, a lot like the playerbase.

I feel like if a group of 5 user's here could curbstomp their way to the top of the ranked play in an afternoon.

contains lootboxes but you get one after every game regardless of win or loss.

Does anyone have the gif from that plane building game where that one guy made the Trubokat from swat kats? I need that shit

*Turbokat

can anybody help me with this? this shit just flips. what did i do wrong?

????

You can try adding dead weight to different parts of fuselage to see if it balances out. I've cheated before and built small length fuselage rings with major dead weight where there used to be just one long one, so more like a stack of coins.

I hope someone has this stuff, I can't remember when exactly that was and what the hell I named it.

You mean Panekit for the Playstation?

problem is i dont know where to add it or even if i should

no seriously changing ballast in both ways doesnt work. are my engines too strong? too weak? is my wingspan too much?

There are tons of other boards you can use for robutts.

try a smaller engine and increase the length of the deadweight filled nose. Decreasing wingspan should also help

May just be the layout of the wings at a certain point, looks kind of like your stabilizers are on the same plane as the main wings. But you can cheat out of about anything doing something like this, rebalancing dead weight with weighted fuselage rings joined together at the same or varying weight. Can be a bitch of trial and error but pretty precise too.

I'm pretty sure that's what they were looking for, couldn't remember the name either. I remembered Remote Control Dandy though, so nice..

No sound because it makes the file too large and it's only music anyway. This is one of the most impressive things I've seen done in KSP.

I'm glad someone else can have fun with this retarded game.
I used to play it when it first came out, but seen it devolved into fucking garbage.

Hey this looks pretty coold, does it have any sequels?

Alright, I'll bite.

I have thrown around the idea of either another weekend of Simpleplanes or the idea of a KSP weekend. Both have multiplayer, but Simpleplanes might be easier to get into and is more synchronous.

I know you can build some cars in SP but an actual SimpleCars would be nice.

Try Brick Rigs? Don't know if it has multiplayer though.

The technical term is a gravity assist. It's been done since the 70's.

Dammit, I was hoping my failure would be forgotten.

Any good way to make something rounded? I'm trying to build something stupid.
Sorta like pic related

Not gonna lie, that's fucking tight as shit

You can use vtols and gyros for full silly shit.

Very nice.

Im trying to make a shitty version of the eclipse from armored core FA, I think I have the way its put together down, whether it will fly is another story but either way it should be fun to see what it does.

You probably fucked up something when building it, if anything bigger wings would make it turn easier.
Also having the center of mass behind the center of lift can fuck up banking but it's only the case in extreme situations.

maybe that would do it.

That can still work if you have A TailUpForce to counter the nose down pitch moment

Well, the problem is that it did backflips whenever it got up enough speed to launch. Moving the wings further back and the fuel into the nose made it fly like a dream.
I made one a while back that had a similar design based off the Aeroprogress T-720 but I couldn't remember how I did it. That one has little wings on the nose for pitch control which this Manshu Ki-98 doesn't. Makes it much more maneuverable having those front wings.

Great quads.
That robot would be better without the mouth.

They're called canards, and yes they do increase maneuverability nearly all of my planes have them.
SimplePlanes seems to prefer three-surface designs though, pure canards are often far too unstable and sperg out when pulling the stick forward.
Really makes you appreciate the work engineers had to put in the fly by wire system on something like the Eurofighter.

I can only think of 3 which isn't bad at all, actually.

I need to move my center or mass forwardbit if I move the wings I fuck up the design. Is there a way to add a bunch if mass in the front?

Dead weight slider in the part options so long as you're using fuselage blocks.

Wew didn't add those. Will do now, thanks user.

Did you make your plane completely out of those single blocks? Post pics.
Fuselage blocks can be changed shape and size and filled with fuel/buoyancy/weight so they're the best part to use for basically everything structural.

This game hates creativity, I end up changing so much stuff so my planes actually fly that all my designs are streamlined generic looking planes.

now you know how airplane designers in the 20's felt about their wacky flapping wing'd contraptions.

WHERE IS THE ROBOT PUSSY

Clearly not in this picture.

Then you're clearly not doing it right.

Now I know what Im doing sorta Im going to try and go bigger. I want a god damn flying battle ship.

anyone got that one webm of an attempted flying swastika that the guy didn't even turn on before it exploded

Behind the knee maybe?

Sorry for going on a contentless tangent, but I'm curious; is there a Simple Planes equivalent (spartan visuals, good simulaion) for AFVs or any AFV engineering game for that matter? I know you can throw them together in Simple Planes itself, but it's not really the focus of the engine, aeronautics is the focus. From the Depths also has land vehicle parts, but is totally focused on naval combat with air support, the land parts are icing. I really like stopping in on these threads, but I haven't jumped into any engineering game myself just because my niche isn't really around yet, so I just haven't plunged into the slightly more foreign territories that come with it.

Considering the existence of shitty grindan tank games with somewhat robust simulation engines, how no one has decided to make such an engine with gameplay revolving around jigsawing parts together to make fighting vehicles from scratch either in sandbox, traditional survival mode bullshit, or simulated military-industrial production & combat is beyond me. There has to be something, right?

No
Maybe KSP with a bunch of mods
But no

I guess maybe TerraTech but I haven't looked into where it's at in a good while, so many of these things are early access.

I have no idea what AFV is but what you're looking for might be Crossout.

I will wait, then. And wait. Some day, sooner or later, someone will have to put two and two together & figure out that kerjiggering Simple Planes' surface stretching & shaping ability and applying it to armored plates & casts, with slightly more complex modeling of internals, power transmission, etc and a similar system for creating weapons through selection of bore, barrel length, breach configuration and the cartridge to go with it, plus War Thunderesque moderate simulation level or higher, so on, would sell rather nicely.

I've seen Terratech occasionally, but beside being block based, have no idea how deep the construction goes. It looks like there's a lot of parts with little variance or complexity.

Armored fighting vehicle. Tanks, armored cars, halftracks, infantry fighting vehicles & armored personnel carriers. I tried a tiny bit of Crossout before and it didn't grab me.

Crossout is shit don't play it everyone uses the same cookie cutter waffle mobile made up of base pieces and auto turrets so that they can just drive into you with their 2000 health until you die.

Space Engineers, Garry's Mod, Robocraft. I really wish I could think of more and better suggestions.

KSP with BD armoury
You can even mod in your own missiles by copy and pasting the models/textures and simply editing the config file in a text editor.
You can literally add armour plates, build missile spam space stations, cluster bombing SCRAM Jets, and land boats with artilelry, cannons, and missiles. Rather fun, but the lack of enemies kills it for me.

Are there any good mods for SimpleBlanes for realism sake or better landing gear? Seems like weight and scale are way off, say just trying to build something like a Cessna 180.

TerraTech mainly came to mind for the salvaging nature of it. It would be great to see something with a good ballistics system tied in with armor and all. Shame most seem to end up some dumb freemium thing or early access thing that ages like a bowl of piss.

I tried making a copy of your plane but this one just isn't right. I know the balance is off and the rear wings on yours uses the rotator gizmo but is there anything other than that which makes this massive difference?

There's a mod for that.
forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/152496-122-contract-pack-defense-combat-advisors-dca/

Try adding some dihedral/anhedral to your flight&control surfaces and make the canards out of structural wings attached to rotators.
Make sure that they don't rotate too much though, if they do they'll stall and make the plane turn worse.
On a three-surface plane like that the pitch authority should always lie in the tailplane though, with the canards generating a bit of forward lift to offset the weight of the nose while the elevators control pitch authority.
this depends on the plane though, delta wings generate a shit ton of lift on a large, spread out surface while forward swept wings have their center of lift chiefly on the tail end, requiring more pitch authority on behalf of the canard.
oh and always remember to invert foreplane input in relation to tailplane input, they cancel each other out otherwise

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_yaw

The kraken of space engineers is alive and well, it has only been mostly banished from singleplayer.

SimplePlanes is fun, but I'm shit at building planes and I'd rather build and race cars.

Speaking of krakens.

same tbh. i never really cared all that much about planes. a game where you could make tonks cars and trains would be goty

Now this is pod racing.

You've just got to be a bit more inventive.
simpleplanes.com/a/3meT9G/sdkfz-222
simpleplanes.com/a/Dy026W/Desert-TankFor-Challenge
simpleplanes.com/a/0943Cz/XLR8-GT

Appearantly SE released a "Physics Overhaul".

Pistons and Rotors are more stable now.
I've been dabbling with the new update and I'm happy to say, multi piston elevators and multi rotor blast doors are now actually possible.

After how man years, Keen got their shit together. Let's pray they don't fuck it all up in the end.

Wew I may have to look at it again.
We should have a contest to see who can get the stupidest shit to fly.
How did that user build that giant airplane? I wanted to make something huge too.

Doesn't this thing shit the bed in performance?

Is the auto-orient feature of the Simpleplanes gyroscope limited to the roll axis?
I want to gib my plane basic auto-trim on the pitch axis.

The update also shit every single one of my vehicles for some reason. Everything is broken. Nothing has thrust. It's weird.

I'm not really sure how those things work, all I know is that you're not supposed to put them on the tip of your plane's nose.

Bumping so this doesn't die completely, too rare to waste an engineering game thread. Just so it isn't an empty bump, anyone here given more than a sidelong glance at Sky Wanderers? Another voxel space game solo developed by some frog. No real gameplay systems yet, just engine groundwork followed by more engine groundwork, but said groundwork and the focus on it is somewhat promising. Lots of granularity of parts compared to the usual boxel shit- see embed- and multiple non-ship vehicle types cleanly laid out in the form of repulsorlifts, Battletech mechs & humanoid real robots, laid out early rather than appended later. Fat pile of devlogs to plumb through on each thing added or fiddled with. The competent working pace relative to the genre and more or less total focus on groundwork before any survival mode has me cautiously optimistic. What's your take, anons?

I just want a good game where you cna build shit and fly around.
Why has no one made legos in vidya form yet, do what you want.

bump

Is it difficult importing custom models into this game? I might give KSP another shot but the extremely long loading time is a deal breaker for me.