Replaying games

Are there any games you guys have completed more than 3 times?

Typically I'll 100% a game and be done with it, but there are a few games that I can't help but replay every other year or so. Games like Ocarina of time, Quake and Warcraft 3.

Def Jam FFNY
GTA 3 and VC
Plenty of SNES stuff
And i'm looking forward to replay Paper Mario again

VC I get, GTA 3 has aged like an old turd though.
Like what?
Which one?

I replay Max Payne 1 every year when the first snow falls

I don't replay much anymore, not for many years, but I have no clue how many times I've beaten:

Obviously I owned a Huegbox during my primary gaming years. Still do. Halo 1 is the only thing I still play when I want to mindlessly blast through a game.

Battlefront II's campaign.

THPS3 has aged like wine, its one of a few games I care about enough to 100%.
Once you've unlocked all the levels and characters through multiple playthroughs, the game dangles a cheat menu in front of your nose. To truly unlock everything, you need to complete the game 24 times.
It didn't even feel like a chore, the game is that fluid and polished.

I replay Starcraft II WoL campaign once a year, the levels are great, the world building is the last spark of genius blizzard had before turning shit and the characters are so well built, the only bad thing is the ending, Tychus did nothing wrong.

The opening scene still gives me goosebumps.

Interdasting. I never played SC2 as I heard such bad things about the story. I might give wings of liberty a try. I'm guessing the zerg and protoss expansions are hot garbage then?

A few I think.

Grim Dawn
only if you consider playing to the end of each difficulty as a separate clear.
Sonic Adventure 2
Not only have I beaten it several times, but I have gotten all 180 emblems 3 times due to memory card loss and steam version
Pokemon Crystal and Red
Mostly cause the crystal I got had a weak internal battery, it's been 20 ish years and my red version still holds saves somehow.
Etrian odyssey 3
Best Etrian
The Wonderful 101
An odd case, I didn't just beat it three times I beat it three times in a row as I moved up the difficulty levels, fun game
Armored core 4A and Last Raven
Kinda required if you want to 100% them

The fucking characters and writing in 2 is shit, that includes WoL you idiot
The only redeeming factor is that Kerrigan is not female space jesus yet

That`s a cool opinion you have there. Also Kerrigan isn`t even a character on that game, the Queen of Blades is totally a separate entity and it`s exactly why it failed when on HotS they tried to blur the lines between her and Kerrigan culminating on the mary sue space jesus from game 3, at that point they realized their mistake and they didn`t care anymore because nobody else did also

To me, if a game isn't worth replaying, it wasn't worth playing the first time. After I finish a game, I either sell it or replay it again multiple times in the future.

Yes. The Metal Gear Solid games with the exception of PW and 5.

I've replayed Metal Slug 1,2,3 and 5 multiple times.
Super Mario 64 twice
Replayed Rondo of Blood so many times that I don't even remember the count.

This is going to be a really strange one but
StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
I don't know what it is about it, but the campaign is so fucking fun. I've replayed it about 6 times over the last 6 years.

The story & majority of the characters are complete shit but I agree that the campaign was a whole lot of fun

>"You will feel ashamed of your words and deeds" Quiet doesn't make me feel anything And then Yoko Taro makes 2B and actually succeeds at making me feel bad for fapping to her before the game came out I got over it though
MGSV doesn't stand up to repeated playthroughs and only got high scores because of Konami's highly curated press boot camp

Completed Fallout 2 hundreds of times. Always fun, even with repeat builds.

That and Diablo 2.

Yes. They're beyond butchered and they killed Starcraft 2.
Starcraft 2 in terms of story… it was worse than Starcraft 1 and ruined a lot of things about it, but they did enough things right to where it was still enjoyable for me. I'm not happy about what they did to the story at all mind you, but the campaign's missions were fun enough to where it didn't affect me as much. It went from a space opera epic to a cheesy "revolution" movie blockbuster. I still liked the "moments" you get out of it nonetheless and the concepts, but it is objectively worse on a writing level.
I can't really think of a space epic, but think of something like what I just described turning into Independence Day in its sequel.

Fallout 2, 7 times
Arcanum, 15 times

Chrono Trigger.

I remember when I was younger I replayed jak 2 and 3 quite a bit. Unfortunately never got the chance to play the first one.

I usually like to enjoy my time with the games until I beat them, then I never play them again.
I rather liked the story, plus there are a fuck ton of quests I had missed and only found out in new playthroughs the whole NCR help quests, for example.
One of the few games I had for PS2, plus it was really fun, so I played it a bunch of times, though mostly just fucking around and not playing all the quests. I guess I must've beaten it 4 times without cheats and another 3 completely fucking around with flying cars and all.
The gameplay is fun as fuck, the boss rush-like aspect really stuck with me.

I play Diablo 2 like once a year since I figured out how to host my own private bnet server.

All of old GTA games. Played them fuckton of times, 100% some.
Max Payne games, even the third one.
Dead Space games - replayed those recently in honor of Visceral games RIP in piece ;_;7

WoL campaign is fucking gr8. Too bad that HotS and LotV (fuck me, even forgot the name for a second) dropped the ball. I fucking hated the bosses in HotV and missions in LotV were uninspired as fuck (except that dragon ball z shit with the alarak).

I do each alignment playthrough for KotOR 1/2 and Mass Effect then a "fuckit" one.
Fallout New Vegas because each time I play it, even after 5 years, I find new things.
I replay the campaign for Dark Crusade occasionally
I like to play through every race/origin all the way through in Dragon Age Origin
I play Fable 2 quite a lot because of the way the character reacts to eating/quest outcome/purity/etc. It's always fun playing a fatass succubus or extremely buff dudebro who wears a crop-top and tuxedo pants. Character customization is great in that game
Battlefront 2 has a great story that I don't mind going through once in a while
I sometimes do World at War's campaign because of how fun the gore and action is.

/myguy/

Loved that game

You have autism.

I don't understand. That was arguably the worst part of LotV.

I completed Diablo II countless times, but since I was playing on b.net or b.net emulators the characters are gone. So I play singleplayer to recreate that playing history. Playing a character through hardcore is still yields a feeling of great accomplishment for me, though eventually I think I'll be able to speed through it.

Other than that, replaying games is nigh customary. So my other significant game would be
This was S-ranking the entire game with full upgrades, S-ranking the entire game with no health upgrades, and further playthroughs to collect No Damage tags. The issue that came up however was that collecting all the items on the map i.e breaking all the props was tedious and sometimes conflicted with having the No Damage playthrough registered.

Is there any games that actually reward you for doing multiple playthroughs? I know Eternal Darkness shows you a true ending once you beat it 3 times. Also in EYE you must complete the game like 3 times to escape from the circle of guilt.

Man Fable 2 had its moments. I member buying it as a first game for my old 360.

- Half-Life 1 a shitton of times, but not HL2. I wonder why…
- TIE Fighter, X-wing (especially once I go the collector's CD versions)
- Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 +ToB
- NetHack, vanilla. Never bothered to learn any other roguelike or even a variant.
- Fallout:Nev Vegas.

I played Diablo 2 a lot growing up, but I was maybe 12-15 and didn't full appreciate it. For example, moving into Hell was nearly impossible for a legit character for us, sometimes even with hacked items.

What was the trick? I played Path of Exile a lot in the last few years, and just capping resists and stacking life made you nearly unkillable; is it the same for Diablo as well?

I really liked the ways abilities and spells could be combined to make op abilities. I remember cheesing the crucible by using top level summon and top level force. I didn't take a single point of damage the entire thing.
It's a shame the third game was such a fucking mess. The idea of becoming King/Queen and saving your kingdom by choosing where resources are allocated and making those tough, morally grey decisions about if you should create an orphanage for the homeless children, even if it puts a dent in the coffers, or build a factory so you have arms for the war would have been great had the game been longer and you actually played through the year before the invasion. You could have seen some of those children that turned fighting age battling with you or if you built the factory you could see regiments of the guard holding much better muskets and swords. There was a lot of potential lost in that game.
Also, my OC has a perfect use now, fitting this wall of text.

warcraft 3 and age of empires
otherwise it's just sandboxy shit that can't really be completed unless you're turbo autistic

Not just THPS3, THPS2, Wasteland and Underground are (almost) as fun as they were back then.

The SC1 campaign did not age well at all. I recently tried it in SC remastered and every single player campaign felt like it was designed for a total moron who has never seen a video game in his entire life. Such a chore.

The bosses in HOTS were amazing. The level design and everything with Kerrigan was top notch. Vid related, the battle with Slivan.

Suikoden 1 and 2
Spyro Trilogy
Crash 2
Morrowind
STALKER
Deus Ex
Pokémon Red
Ace Combat 4
Thief 2
Final Fantasy VII

Hmm, mostly stuff where you can try different builds/strategies or just because I enjoy the hell out of them:
Demon's Souls / Dark Souls 1,2,3 / Bloodborne
Fallout 1,2
Resident Evil 0,1,2,3,4,Remake,Revelaitons 1,2
Silent Hill 1,2,3,4
Vagrant Story
Parasite Eve 1,2
Devil May Cry 1,3
Final Fantasy Tactics
Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3
Diablo 1,2
FTL
Tomb Raider 1,2,3
Dino Crisis 1,2
Dragon Age Origins
The Witcher 1,2
Dead Rising 1
Planescape: Torment
Legend of Grimrock 1,2
Mass Effect
Doom 1,2,3
Vanquish
God Hand
Darkwood
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Might and Magic 6
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Recettear
Dead Space 1
Onimusha 1,3
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Dragon's Dogma

Each character build sort of has their trick to it.
e.g +skills gives Amazon some survivability and overall improvements to the point the Peace might be better than Smoke.
The trick with Bowazon is that barely any of her bow skills gives bonuses to attack rating, so its particularly important to invest stat points into Dexterity and skill points into Penetrate.

If you have crazy rare gear or hacked items, but are still having trouble chances are you're neglecting some fundamentals or over/undervaluing certain item modifiers. Generally you want resists on your characters, primarily fire and lightning- Cold and Poison can be compensated with potions. Pic related, I have common and completely worthless gear as far as a b.net economy is concerned, but I still beat the game self-sufficiently.

Here, have a palate cleanser.

These are her resists. I neglect poison since I drink antidotes. The Cold resist is a little low, but its good enough for a Bowazon. Lightning is extremely important because of Gloams, but even when maxed she still needs to dodge lightning.

Obviously this is just a Bowazon example. The other classes of course will value different item modifiers, bonuses more and less i.e Summonmancer is the most gear and stat lenient build.

As an added note, I notice battle.net players avoid Ethereal items that don't regenerate like the plague. This is her Peace. I socketed it around Act 4 Nightmare difficulty to see if it would last for the rest of the game- this is including the Baal runs in Nightmare- and it did.

I have taste

Me too user, me too.

I replay Fallout 1 my favorite game every year and try out very different builds, often with gimmicks.
I've never played Fallout 2.

I've never done this but I will now.

Forgot to say I also replay these every year or two third one is not as good for various reasons and only gets played if I'm feeling it, the hardest difficulty if fucking PTSD-inducing but worth it for the feeling you get once it's over.

Try it, for all its pop-culture bullshit and inferior plot it's a better game mechanically and still a lot of fun. It just suffers from following the first game.

Oh, never mind you were shitposting

Off the top of my head:

But why?

Nigger that was one of the only memorable missions in the whole campaign and one of the only times where you do something different. All the objectives, settings and characters besides nu-Fenix, Alarak and Artanis (only because he's the MC) are all shit. And even Artanis turns into a gigantic fucking loser by the end of the game as well. I usually don't like to comment on vidya from a Holla Forums perspective, but considering how tradition-bound and venerable of a race the protoss were, the way he treated and acted towards Rohana and the destruction of the khala was a disgrace. He treated it as if he was some snobby liberal professor watching a confederate statue be taken away. Something like that should've been given more weight, and more importantly characters shouldn't be used as one-dimensional objects for the main character to express his viewpoints about elements of the story.

I only played vanilla and thought it was pretty mediocre for a souls game, but supposedly everyone says SotFS fixes all its problems
Never played it so I wouldn't know

It's the same campaign, is it not? I never played the original SC1 campaign to be honest, but as far as i know SC: Remastered is SC1 with HD graphics, it should be the same campaign?!

It wasn't just them upscaling the resolution user. They outright changed and replaced art, voices, text where they could get away with it (the non-VA'd bits) and portions of the storyline to fit in more nicely with their sequels. You experienced it from an entirely different context as well. Its almost a shame to be honest. I would strongly encourage you go back and play the original starcraft the way it was meant to be played.
Many, many units and hero portraits look like an unholy hybrid of StarCraft 1 and 2 aesthetic, outright killing the tone in many parts of the game. The animations are also far less impactful, bland and generic for near-everything. The only thing they might've "improved" on might be the explosions, and even that's debatable.
If I had to play StarCraft 1 in StarCraft 2's interface, artwork and units it would be objectively worse. Almost everything about SC:R is objectively worse.

But enough about that, tell me which parts you actually felt "aged" and I can at least address it and see if its a nu-blizz concoction, or if its something you don't like (or maybe its even objectively true).

System Shock 2
Escape Velocity: Nova
Generals
Halo

I've been meaning ti try it but I just enjoy the first game so much. I'm never motivated to try the second, once I start the first. I hear the second is a lot larger than the first, which is probably a downside. I consider Fallout to have impeccable pacing. It's length is just right.

It is but you paid for an almost 20 year old game. You also paid for a blizzard game. Shame on you.

It was the first souls game and tbh I still like it. I tried out different builds and went back to explore the areas more carefully.

You mean *your* first souls game right user?
you can't be this retarded

Almost the entire terran campaign, which is nothing more than introduction to the units and the gameplay mechanics. You can't adjust the difficulty level and as a result it is extremely boring to anyone who has had some experience with RTS games. It might've been alright 20 years ago, but today it feels like a chore.

I actually looked around for a pirated version, but given that it is full of online only pozz i decided to reward Blizzard and buy the game.

It looks basically the same to me (compared to yt videos & the ingame emulation of the old game), except there are more details.
If you don't like the new HD version you can change the graphics back to the way they looked 20 years ago by pressing F5. The old design is not bad, even though it is just 640x480, but imho the HD graphics look better. Very crisp.

My problem is that I replay too much. This year I've already redone Deus Ex, the Soulsborne series and am already going back through Witcher.

Bullet Witch on all difficulties. I had fun.

Jedi Academy
DMC3 and 4
Bayonetta 2
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas
Demon's Souls

I've also played through MGS4 a total of twelve times.

>played watched through MGS4

I replay Pokemon Sapphire at least once a year.
I once did 5 playthroughs of Pikmin back to back, seeing how fast I could finish the game. I think the fastest was 12-13 days IIRC.
I can't think of any games that I've replayed recently though.

Probably beat this game over 10 times.

Resident Evil 1 & 2 and Luigi's Mansion are my go to replay games. They just get more fun the more you play and optimize your routes.

I've played Castlevania Curse of Darkness so many times I don't even know.
Landing the steal on the Dullahan fight is so hard its usually the only place I really get hit anymore.

Fair enough. The difficulty levels not being able to be increased was one of the biggest things that actually did need to be changed in StarCraft 1. I love the story, but the campaign isn't very replayable at all.
I was talking about the story in the original post you replied to as well so… rip, not really much to say there. The Terran campaign in vanilla SC1 was indeed just a tutorial. I agree completely on the difficulty there; did you try Brood War though? The difficulty is definitely amped up there for all races (though protoss is the "introductory" race and still pretty easy, its harder than the original terran campaign was in SC1 vanilla)

I personally disagree on the HD graphix portion but that's of less importance

off top of my head.

I regulary cycle through the first two gothics and the kotor games until something better comes around, so I'll probably continue doing this untill I croak

I guess i'll just put the Main game series i'v played constantly over the years.

Sonic, Devil may cry, Ninja gaiden, Most Platinum games, and Tony hawk.
and yes I consider PlatinumGames to basically be their own Franchise at this point.

Usually 100% JSRF once every year or so. I played Super Metroid for the first time recently and it was fantastic, so I might add that to my replay list too.

Dark Messiah

I'd more or less agree with all of this, less is often more with games and I honestly think most RPGs outstay their welcome.

I find replayability to be a very underrated aspect to games. I feel a little ripped off if i beat a game and just shelf it afterwards. Some of my favorite games I'll replay once a year or more just because I like the core gameplay so much I don't even need to get different endings or unlock more things to feel the urge to replay them (granted those are still aspects i like to see in games)

newer games really have less respect for the concept and a more modern trend of in-game exposition with methods like forced-walking and standing in a room watching NPCs talk really kill the replay value for me even if the core game is still fun.

*the first souls game I played

Yes. I accidentally left a word out

I'll go back every few years and beat old SNES games like the various Mario games, and LoZ:ALttP. I don't really play newer games, besides sandboxes with few if any "win" conditions.

FEAR, I've lost count of how many times I've beat it.
Command & Conquer games, usually Red Alert 2 and Generals
Dawn of War 1 and 2
DMC 3 and 4
Saints Row 2, I only rarely play it if I can be bothered dicking around with the PC version.
There's probably more but can't think of them. I usually replay a game once of twice a year.

I replay some of my favorites hundreds of times if not sometimes more.

I find these topics so quaint. The very idea that someone would find replaying a game only a few times somehow is ridiculous. Frankly if you haven't found a game yet that you replay ten times or more, then you aren't playing good games.

*would find replaying a game only a few times somehow impressive

This sounds like a good rule of thumb for most games, but what about games with a M Night Shymalaman tweeeest and/or puzzles that are tough at first but trivial once you solve them?

Games like Portal, for instance. I can't imagine replaying that despite loving it since the puzzles are now trivial and I know the plot. The game is not carried by its gameplay alone, not in the same way quake is.

I beat Bad Dudes every afternoon after school for 3 months straight with a buddy. Then i got sick of it wanted to play something else and we stopped being friends.

Loved that game but JRPGs now are too damn slow to play without wanting to claw my eyes out.

I could emulate with fast forward I guess…would that count?

off in the distance, piano music is playing…

Cave Story
Superstar Saga
Wario Land 4
Kid Icarus Uprising

There's more, though. I tend to replay a lot of games I have, just because that's what I did growing up.

I just wait a really long time before replays, in that case. L.A. Noire, for instance. I first played it about four years ago. The second time I played it was earlier this year, and it was a long enough time gap that I had forgotten most of the case details. I still remember the big twists, but enough of the overall experience still feels novel, so it doesn't feel repetitive to me.
It helps that I don't have a great memory. I have to read something, or write it down, to retain it, and you don't really do that in vidya.

Onimusha warlords
Hitman: contracts & blood money
Crimsonland old
Alien&zombie shooter 1&2
Carmageddon 1-tdr
Twisted metal 4
Crash bandicoot 2
Spyro 2
A.I.M.
Deadhunt
Nox
Fate
Global operations
Unreal tornament 1-2k4
Resident evil 4
Stalker SoC&CoP
Brainbread
Cry of fear
Jets'n'guns
Big ol bass 2
Tenchu 2
Panzer front
Postal 2&ED
Road rash jailbreak
Deception III dark delusion
Fallout 2
Serious sam SE old
Gex 3
Medievil
MHFU
Binding of isaac
Dead rising 2
N
Men of war
Diablo 2
GTA 2&VC
Borderlands
EDF 4.1
Herocore
Jennifer
Crazy machines 1.5
Dead space 1&3
Battleships forever
Survival crisis z
Medal of Honor 1&2
Breakquest

Mass effect and Dragon Age I guess? Been years though.

Most games are just run and gun. And since new games come out all time I haven't the time nor inclination to replay games.

I think only Pokemon R/B/Y, if you count them as the same game.

The Naughty Dog Crash Bandicoot games
The Insomniac Spyro games
The Genesis and Dreamcast Sonic games
Gen I and II Pokemon games
All the Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, and Ape Escape (main series) games.
The NES and SNES Mario games.
Link to the Past

New games are shit and not worth replaying. Old ones have plenty of examples.

Lotsa roguelikes and roguelites.