Overshadowing Sequels

Let's talk about games with sequels or spin-offs that overshadowed those that came before it.

Whenever you say 'Unreal,' people think you're talking about Unreal Engine or Unreal Tournament. Just about nobody thinks of the single-player game UT spun off from. While UT is pretty rad, it would've been really cool to see more atmospheric and adventure-centric type stuff like Unreal. I guess there was Unreal 2, but that game was really different and mediocre as hell.

Unreal 2 followed more of the Halo vein. The basic gist of it is that I doubt most of the devs who worked on Unreal 1 at the time strictly wanted to make a singleplayer game. There was a lot of work done on the multiplayer and while the netcode was shit it did come with bots.

After Unreal Tournament sold an enormous amount it makes sense they chose to focus on that. While there is a lot of demand for another Unreal game it's pretty clear given how bad Unreal 2 was, just in terms of premise and execution. That Digital Extremes really had no interest in making another singleplayer game. And that Unreal 2 was just made, just because.

It's really a good example of where wanting a sequel to the game isn't necessarily a good thing if the dev has no real idea for one. It's often better to just let the original stay as it's own thing. Had Unreal 1 had like 5 mediocre sequels do you think anyone would've still looked upon it as this quaint forgotten FPS?

Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem both count.
Hell, I bet there are people on this very board that think Wolfenstein 3D was the first in the series.

Red Alert.

How many people even know Galaga is a sequel, seriously?

To be fair it was by a different developer and was only loosely based on the original two games. It was really a sequel in name only. The same goes for Duke 3D since in it's alpha state it was originally more dystopian and bleak in tone but then turned into a farcical game later

Mass Effect 2 overshadowed the original, despite being much more shallow and destroying the setting.

Also, every numbered Elder Scrolls game.

None of those games are overshadowed by sequels though.

Exactly.

if you say warcraft people think of this

Sonic 06 was what kicked off the "every Sonic game is bad" meme. Something that Sonic is only now 11 years later partially getting over.
Jesus it's been 11 years
The Genesis games may as well have not existed anymore. It didn't matter that tons of people loved, Adventure 1 & 2, Sonic Advanced, Sonic Rush, and, Sonic colors, ect…
Sonic 06 came out then any and all credibility Sonic had when into the trash and the gaming media developed huge hate boner for Sonic games. Only after Generations came out Sonic was barley able to get some good rep again.

The original was a somewhat decent game but its sequel really blew it out of the water.

No, Heroes started it and the one-two punch of Ow the Edge and 06 just cemented it almost subconsciously. The Dreamcast dying probably didn't help things either.

Aside from forcing you to play all 4 teams to get the real ending I don't see why Heroes is considered bad. I'm replaying it right now and i'm enjoying it so much i'm going for 100%
I'll give you Shadow since even though I can enjoy it for what it is, it really is a mess of a game.

The Werehog was shit true, but at the time everyone praised the day time stages.
Sonic Boom was far after "Every Sonic game is bad" was established as the norm
If you wanted you could have brought up Secret Rings Now that game is a piece of shit.

I would say so, I never saw any hate for those games until Sonic 06 happened.

Yet it cemented it even more which is relevant since you complain about meme living that long.
Because while it's a bad 2d sonic game everyone understood that it's fine for what it is(3d bigger world building experimentation) at the time. Since 06 took that concept and trashed all the potential that adventures could have the end result is at least 3 mediocre to shit games that went nowhere.

I'm that edgy kid that says DMC1 was the best one, warts and all.

the reason unreal is overshadowed by UT and its own engine family is because the first Unreal isn't a very good game.

Unreal is a fantastic game, it only gets a liiiittle clunky near the end.

Nobody even remembers that game existed. Not even the developers. They completely ignored it and went back to a more Blood Money style with Hitman 2015

Almost nobody played it after it released. While it was a financial success, it was a critical failure and was forgotten really quickly.

The game didn't really overshadow 3/NV. It's mostly just known as "the most recent Fallout" by people. It's only really well known now due to the paid mods stuff.

The first Unreal is a great FPS. It was especially great when it first came out because it really sold people on 3D acceleration. Like if you ask people who played it when it first came out they were amazed at things like the waterfall in the first level. It was also one of the first FPS games that shipped with bots that were also really intelligent. Like Unreal's bots blew Quake's out of the water.

It's just less liked now because much like Half-Life it's been copied quite a lot. Like after Morrowind came out nobody was impressed by a fancy skybox anymore.

Unreal also has a great variety to it's map design. Like later on you get into more surrealistic landscapes

Street Fighter 2 has to be the king of this.

Except when Hitman™ came with it's own problems, forced "la la la, the H:A doesn't exist" transfered onto it overshadowing it by shifting people's focus. If absolution didn't exist people would recieve it better.
That's not the point. DNF was so big of a thing that anything else became less relevant because of people losing interest in the series.
Well, that one is more on a shitpost side of things, like the mentality that you are explaining about the series is more intense than it actually is making it overshadow even 3 and nv.

Except that after Duke Nukem Forever released we got 2 Duke Nukem 3D re-releases. Nobody would bother to re-release Duke Nukem Forever because nobody would buy it.

Sure, but who cares about those? Like who knows what happened to duke nukem franchise after dnf, how many games have released and what happened to them? Also, DN3D in the context is as low effort as it can be so it doesn't matter if many people cared or not, it's going to make dough.
I'm not literally saying that no one knows or cares, the theme of the thread is "overshadowing sequels" and dnf definitely is casting shadow on the entire series.

The franchise was basically dead when Duke Nukem Forever came out. All they had were spinoffs barely anyone knew about (which were surprisingly good, like Time to Kill was great)

Duke Nukem as a franchise is tricky to make sequels out of. Especially in today's political climate. Like back in 2011 while there was controversy over the "capture the babe" gamemode. It didn't overshadow the game

Now if a Dook game came out I expect Hatred levels of drama and controversy about it. Like I would expect Gearbox would get feminist protesters camped outside their office. And this is coming out of one of the most cucked developers, Gearbox. Which already released a huge financial flop with Battleborn.

I honestly don't think so. A new Duke Nukem game would actually be somewhat easy to make since right now "retro" shooters are back in swing. You can see it with how popular Doom 2016 was, how popular Wolfenstein the New Order was, how popular Shadow Warrior 2013 was. They could very easily just make Shadow Warrior 2013 with a Duke Nukem skin. I think the reason why a new game hasn't happened is Gearbox is terrified of how much backlash it'll get in current year from sjws.

Also they'd really need to expand on the premise of the game and modernize it here and there. Like one problem I had with Duke Nukem Forever was they didn't really know how modern they wanted to make it. Like it had a ton of awkward aspects to it like the 2 weapon limit (which was patched to 4 weapons) and regenerating health but also really linear maps and basically the same premise as 3D.

I would use your own arguments to counter you
If people wouldn't wait for DNF, it wouldn't be a financial success, especially giving it's development time. If many people didn't wait for DNF, then it wouldn't be regarded as such a massive failure since in all honesty it's isn't that bad it's just mediocre.
You are avoiding the
question. Sure, there is no point bringing it up after you've discredited the original argument that creates conclusion you are answering to, but that's also the point. Either you answer point by point independently or don't bring up something that is already obvious thus redundant.
Also, your supportive explanation is kinda counter productive to your own statement since you are making a case for "modernization of older games is a bigger deal". It would be reasonable to ask about you being drunk\high or not.

Most people who bought the game were more so aware of its reputation as a game that would never come out. It was more akin to a spectacle. It's like if Half-Life 3 was suddenly announced and came out in November. It would probably sell pretty well just based on the "Valve can't count to three" meme. Despite the franchise hasn't had a sequel in more than 10 years.

No I answered it. The franchise was not killed off by Duke Nukem Forever. The franchise was already dead by the time the game came out. Duke Nukem Forever was just a game Gearbox resurrected due to how much attention it got in the media. The franchise remained dead after Duke Nukem Forever came out. And that the main reason there hasn't been a new Duke game is moreso due to the current political climate. A new Duke game would sell really well it's moreso a question of if Gearbox wants to take that risk. And so far they don't.

I made the point that a future sequel to Duke Nukem Forever, will not survive in today's climate unless they modernize it in some way. And not in an obnoxious way like Forever tried to do I mean similar to how Shadow Warrior 2013 was more like Hard Reset than it was like the original 1996 game. They'd need to really adapt the gameplay to actually get it to sell well.

Sure, but it's common sense that some of them that are not die hard dn fans would check what dn games they could experience in the meantime. Sure, I doubt they'd play much of em since they are kinda eh, but that would generate general knowledge about them which would be lacking for games released after dnf.
Sure, but with a bit of a stretch I can turn it into

Also here is another point, if DNF wasn't overshadowing other games in the series in one way or another then no one would care in the first place since it's a mediocre game in the mediocre line up of series of games.

King's Field series got arguably better with each installment though the first sequel was best in my mind.

I'll bet there's people playing right now who don't even know that almost the entire cast comes from other games.

The Drakenguard series and to a smaller extent NieR. I wonder how many of the people that played Automata knew or cared that it was a sequel to NieR. Then consider the amount that actually played NieR to completion at least once, let alone getting all 5 endings. The number of people that know that NieR itself is spun off Drakenguard must be even smaller still.

Even Mary Poppo??

What really happened is Adventure 1 and 2 were both well received on Dreamcast and then on Gamecube got more mixed reception (but still sold like hotcakes), partially because Sonic Adventure was rereleased almost five years after its original release with minimal improvements and even actual downgrades, but people were judging it by modern standards and also because Nintenyearolds who always hated or never played Sonic started shifting the narrative.

Then after that we got more mediocre games that didn't help matters. And '06 happened and everything was cemented.

Street Fighter II has II in the title and people still don't really think of it as a sequel. Hell, the new IT movie has the kids in the '80s saying they gotta go to the arcade to practice their Street Fighter skills all summer, as if that was such a big game that there would be tourneyfags for it. Clearly what happened was the writers heard of "Street Fighter," googled when it came out, and didn't realize that nobody gave a flying fuck until the sequel.

Dafuq?

Yonah is 7/12 in Replicant and 10/15 in Gestalt. The Gestalt version was the only version released in the west. Why the age differences though, is a question I have never been able to find the answer for. The ages aren't the only differences between the two versions, the time in which each take place is also different, I forget the exact details but the events in Gestalt are either ~100 years before or after Replicant.

Heroes of Might and Magic overshadowed the Might and Magic series.