SAGging sackless

SAG-AFTRA strike over. These worthless shit stains on the underwear of society are back to "work".

archive.fo/QcXbf

Other urls found in this thread:

exploretalent.com/search/all?action=1&order_by=&distance=500&search_term=&cat_26=1&zip=&city=&submit2=Search
imdb.com/name/nm0547707/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
imdb.com/name/nm0283428/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t12
imdb.com/name/nm0057277/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t32
imdb.com/name/nm0655218/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t34
imdb.com/name/nm2562176/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t4
imdb.com/name/nm1640779/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t22
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pottery

After hearing that faggot in Mass Effect Androgynous, I'm not sure I'll ever give money to a AAA game again, and most definitely one with shitty American voice actors.
SUBS NOT DUBS

Yeah, and the first victim of Burch coming back is Chun-Li. So much for a blacklist.

What kind of stunts do voice actors do, that don't involve indecent exposure?

So are video games going to be more expensive?

Who gives a fuck?

i wonder why they agreed to give them anything then.

Why do voice actors NEED to know this? In an age of easy commination and leaks everywhere, if I'm developing a project and I want to keep it a secret then all information would be kept on a need to know basis.
You're voicing maybe three lines for a shopkeeper. Do you need to know the code name of the project, that it's an existing IP? No you fucking don't, you're speaking three lines for an NPC no one cares about.
I hope all SAG-AFTRA unionists are never hired again.

Nope! They might just be blacklisted and/or replaced by someone else, best case scenario is that there won't BE any voice acting! Depending on the situation of course!

If anyone here wants to try their luck to see if they can replace the preachy faggots from the OP then see this.
www.exploretalent.com/search/all?action=1&order_by=&distance=500&search_term=&cat_26=1&zip=&city=&submit2=Search

Oh great. Now Ashley Burch will be in video games again.

It's not a big deal, though. Just get them to sign an NDA, and if they break it, they're fucked. Problem solved. Yeah, it's not perfect, I mean NDAs aren't some magic bullet that prevents leaks, but most people wouldn't risk it unless they knew how to cover their tracks to avoid punishment. I do agree that they don't really need to know such information, but I'll bet someone at the negotiating table was thinking to themselves, "Well, fuck it, if it gets them to shut up already"

exploretalent.com/search/all?action=1&order_by=&distance=500&search_term=&cat_26=1&zip=&city=&submit2=Search

They should have gotten the programmers and artists to go on strike with them. They get fucked over by the big money execs too. Then we could have had the Great Video Game Crash and set everything right again.

After this point western developers can only really blame themselves
THERE ISN'T A SINGLE GOD DAMN VIDEOGAME COMING OUT OR MADE THE LAST 10 YEARS WHERE JAPANESE VOICE ACTING+SUBTITLES WOULDN'T HAVE MADE THE GAME X10 TIMES BETTER

NOT
A SINGLE
FUCKING
ONE
and i could make the case for some of the older ones too

I think it covers screaming or things like male Dunmer in Morrowind.

Metal Wol…
Uh… Souls series? Dragon's Dogma?

beats me, i'd say in the case of the old DMCs, motion capture would be the definition of stunts

Shut the fuck up.

Nips directed those so it doesn't count.

How fucking sad is it that people who don't even speak english natively can pull out better performances than western devs. Not to mention western devs largely use unionized "professionals".

Western development teams are full of leftists, so it's only natural they fuck up in every conceivable way. It's in their nature.

The voices in those games were native English speakers living in Japan with previous voice acting experience.

Witcher and Metro have good English dubs.

irrelevant.

Yes but they are being DIRECTED by japs. The reason why voice acting in the west is awful is because of direction in most cases. A good director can at least pull out something useful from garbage. Instead all western devs ask for the same 3 actors to do the same 2 voices.

Surprised the companies didn't just laugh and used the talent that didn't go on strike. Not that I mind shit companies having to pay more for shit voice actors.

House of the Dead Overkill

Souls series use old british actors. I doubt the nips actually fly over to London (these days who can blame them) to give them direction. At most they email them the script and a character description, then message back any adjustments they want.

They probably use expats who are currently living in Japan that is what Team Silent did for Silent Hill.

Nigger, listen to the Shenmue dub if you want an idea of what it sounds like when a jap who doesn't know English from his asshole tries to direct an English dub. The results are just as dire.

They already were. There were faggots bitching on Twatter that those actors still doing voice overs in games were "scab actors". Nevermind that if you want to act for a living and eventually join SAG you essentially start out as a non-union scab.

Nope, here's an imdb for some of them. Almost all British voice actors are in the Souls games. Some of them previously worked in anime dubbing for Manga Video back in the mid 90s.
imdb.com/name/nm0547707/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
imdb.com/name/nm0283428/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t12
imdb.com/name/nm0057277/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t32
imdb.com/name/nm0655218/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t34
imdb.com/name/nm2562176/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t4
imdb.com/name/nm1640779/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t22

I think there's a bit more to it than direction, but I don't disagree that direction is a large part of it. For instance, the director hiring his talentless leftie buddies that always wanted to be a real VA.

I wish, that money is going to come from the paychecks of devs and animators, expect more (((leftist politics))) hires, they tend to accept less pay in exchange for the promise that they might not be fired for being a sperg on public platforms.

I'm honestly surprised some companies haven't tried doing that for JP dubs in western releases.

To be fair, the "whether the game is based on previously published intellectual property" part might help people involved to do research (assuming they care enough to) on how the previous games were handled to try to retain the vibe of the voicing, or something. Might also help them from saying stupid, uninformed shit on record about the game/character they're voicing (avoiding embarrassing "I voiced F-Zero GX's Blue Falcon" moments), but that's more on the end of their own appearance and not looking like an ass than actually helping them perform their role. Also assuming it's not just an attempt to wring more shekels from the company hiring them, as far as whether the character/IP is all that important of one to the company, where they might be able to weigh the character value against their own perceived value.

Not that I support the shitters that thought striking was a good idea.

Well, I've heard of cases in Japan where a portrayal of a character is occasionally done in such a way that the voice actor actually injures themselves during the process.

Burch in a wig is not a smart girl

I actually feel bad for the guy who voiced Adam Jensen in the new Deus Ex games now, regardless of how good or bad the games were. He will now forever be that voice. And the funniest thing is, it's his natural speaking voice – I've listened to an interview with him. I bet he feels real good about the schooling/practice he's had now.

Square did. It got enough backlash they canned it.

fuck off weeb

Here you go user, non jewtube version.

This.
SUBS NOT DUBS
Is there a way to get the Japanese dub with English sub in the NA release of Fallout 4?

Someone needs to compile a list of every (((voice actor))) in that union and spread it around for who to avoid hiring.

probably, but why would you subject yourself to playing fallout 4? Also the EDF games had great dubs, though I haven't heard IA's voice acting

So, did they get their residuals? because that's how petty they are, residuals for their shitty voice acting while the devs can go fuck off.

Fuck, they should have stuck it out for at least a year to get their royalty payments. Weak willed, the lot of them.

Japanese sounds good to you because you don't know what they're saying and you can just rely on subtitles. If you spoke native Japanese then you'd get nit picky with the voice acting because you can hear things in your own native language that others don't hear. This is reason you can tell when a voice actor isn't giving it his/her all when voice acting. You wouldn't be as dismissive against it in another language. Sarcasm for example is the main thing that non native speakers would struggle with when they try to speak with a native speaker of a language. But sadness is probably the easiest emotion to portray.
Video related is a scene from a show. I'm not judging the quality of the show and that isn't the point of this demonstration. Listen to the woman in orange, even though you aren't native in Japanese you can hear emotion while the scene is trying to portray her a straight faced maniac.
Quality of voice actors varies no matter what language it's in. You just like listening to non native voice actors because you can't hear most of the bad quality. I also apologize if there are inconsistencies in my own spelling and grammar since English isn't my first language.

Does this cover mocap? If so, students make sense.

no it doesn't. If it did, user would have said "Unless it's made or directed in japan."

Or Resident Evil

gollum from the lord of the ring movies.

Yay, for magic.
Until you realize that you can leak things without going "Hi, my name is VoiceCunt almost-as-retarded-as-you-son and I'm voicing Gordon Freeman" .

Stop contradicting yourself.

what this user said is right. However, you can tell when voice acting in another language is bad. The worst one that pops into mind is the old man from asura's wrath. In one scene, he's being crushed to death and the japanese dub has him just talking like everything is fine. I'd embed, but I'm too lazy to do it. That said, the japanese VAs DO have a higher standard and thus more likely to produce better work, but sometimes they're just doing it for money or just having an off-day. Listen to enough japanese, or any dub other than your own language long enough and you can start picking out the flaws.

I know I've at least heard of that happening with DBZ.

It works both ways. The video I presented can is an obvious showcase of good voice acting. Non native speakers can hear the voice actresses giving it her all. When it's terribly bad you can hear it too.

Just because you know a large Chinese guy doesn't mean that they aren't smaller on average and its a simple matter of fact that the Elevens put more effort into their voice acting industry than the san-fran based circlejerk does.

According to you.

Won't argue with that, but the anons whom I initially responded to implied that Japanese voice acting was better no matter what. He even posted two webms with an english voice actor who was doing a better job then her japanese counterpart (Even though they were both pretty bad).

Cuckchan needs to leave holy shit.

Did they damage their vocal chords from the yelling?

Unless you're deep in the autism spectrum you can actually tell when someone is doing good VA because he is capable of conveying the emotional intensity appropriate for any given scenario.

I don't need to know Spanish to be able to tell when someone is phoning it in. The difference between Japan and the West is that they take VA seriously, they don't just hire every purple haired whore they can find that will do the job for cheap or suck their cocks for the privilege.

…I…well…I guess there is some part of me that does want to go back and finish my Survival Mode save. But, yeah, honestly…I guess I'd rather AGDG than play Fallout 4, even 日本語では。

That was the point of my first post.

I know they had people pass out in the English dub.

How about no voice acting? I prefer either that, or the devs doing it themselves. At least then we'd get the same quality for less.

Even the average user is better at voice acting than any union fucks.

You misunderstand. Those two categories are filled with people who need the next paycheck. Most if not all of these prominent SAG people are yuppies.

I grew up on CRPGs my friend, no voice acting is A-OK with me. I'd also strongly prefer a trend back towards silent protagonists and/or just creating your own party to adventure with, rather than playing Character X through Set Story Y.

Clementine was a homicidal sadist who enjoys toying with her victims. She's exceedingly self-confident because in her world the number of opponents who could match her in combat could be counted in single digits. The VA is potraying her exactly as intended.
Cocky fuckers getting BTFO'd by Nazarick is Overlord's main shtick.

Just hire actors who aren't in the union. Problem solved.

I didn't say that all Japs make fantastic english voice directors just that it's sad that some jap directors are better than the vast majority of english directors. I know RE was directed by the japanese devs and that is why it is so hilarious same with the Tekken 7 story mode recently. I didn't know the Shenmue dub was directed by the japanese though. Was it directed by Suzuki?

They deliberately hide the fact they're in a union until the contract is signed to force you into hiring nothing but union members. I wish I could find the article about the guy who did the skeleton laugh in Diablo 1 and 2, just some random Blizzard guy I think, who had all his recordings deleted because they couldn't legally let the guy laugh into a mic without getting sued by like a dozen actors and their union. Shit's ridiculous.

Welcome to unions.

Both of the games were led and developed by Eastern Europeans, which doesn't exactly count as Western. Although both used Western VAs a fair amount, who directed it has a pretty big impact on WHICH voice-actors are hired.

Speaking of the Adam Jensen voice, I swear I hear him on the Deb of Night show. Ia it just me or is there someone else with a verry similar voice?

They can't sue for that. They can only sue if you use a union affiliated actor and the actor doesn't consult with said union before hand. And in some cases actors will bypass getting their union permission by acting under a pseudonym. If you use nothing but non-union actors SAG can't do shit.

If that actor is non-union, there shouldn't be a lawsuit.

I believe MvCI had its voices done just before the strike or they negotiated some deal to get them in.

I would just use speech engines instead.
The advantage is that you can have thousands of dialogues without having to record anything.

Would be fairly difficult to do it well

i'm just waiting for these clowns to consume themselves because i'm sure there would have been a shitfit if a white woman voiced a chinese character

The agreement isn't even signed yet she probably did the voice before the strike.

Why would anyone be retarded enough to join a union?

In some states the government doesn't allow you to work unless you are in a union.

Because people are dumb enough to believe that unions exist to help employees under their wing. In modern times the only reason anyone would EVER go with a union is because in many countries unionised workers are an extremely huge pain in the ass to fire. They are infested so heavily with leftists that the left conveniently turns a blind eye to the fact that unions are seeking profit like any other company.

Well if you want to be a full-time actor and want shit like health benefits, that's why. The downside of course is the mob mentality unions enforce by disclosing what projects you're in and thus making said project "union-affiliated". Much of the actors who are in a union but work on projects under a pseudonym are ones who still scrounging around willing to do anything for a paycheck, even working non-union gigs.

Nigger what? Unions are dependent on profession, not state.

Just write around the concept. If it’s a game that’s all about robots 🤖 then using a speech engine is easy to integrate.

Friendly Reminder that voice acting contributed to the downfall of RPG's.

And most other games too. Remember when platformers didn't have constant grunts every time you jumped?

The devs are better off doing their own voices and hiring their family members.

This is just because of shitty direction by people who do not know how to direct a performance. I saw it broken down in an anime dub comparison. A scene happened where there was no dialogue or sound just the expression on a characters face. However in the dub the character just constantly grunts , sobs, or says small words. Poor voice directors cannot understand visual story-telling and believe sound must always be happening or the audience will be lost.

Care to post it?

THIS

Post YFW SAG-AFTRA never get hired again

And then their name gets added onto a "do not hire" list for all future company projects. Probably shared between other companies so when one of these cucks hands in a CV to a company they're going straight in the bin.

I remember when SEGA was going to get Ryan Drummond to reprise his role in Sonic Colors, but then they got in an argument because Ryan joined a union and they went for Roger instead.

Isn't Roger Cuck Smith union as well?

Nice repeating digits friend

(checked)
Likewise, pal.

So they got nothing. They already almost never do second takes and a lot of sequels are already casting different people for the same characters. And they'll probably just find non-SAG VAs just in case anyhow. Maybe we'll get to hear some new talent for once.

It's hilarious how all these weebs proclaiming japan to be the source of quality voice acting/directing can't even speak the language or have ever been there. If they spent a few years or so in moonland, they'd know ALL of VA work there is comparable to mexican soap opera voice work. I've never heard or seen a subtle performance when I lived there outside of indie films. My associate there said it's a cultural thing and because Japan didn't really transition well from kabuki then made worse by everyone trying to be the next Kurusawa and aping everything about him when they can.

That's exactly what happened with the game Chaos Wars. On other hand, so did Warcraft 3. It's a mixed bag I think.

The point still stands that JP voice acting is better because the actors actually do a better job at conveying emotions better than US ones. Their talent pool is much larger than the one we have in the US that are willing to do video games so we have the same 30 or so people recycled over and over across many games.

How would living there change their view on the quality of voice acting if weebs listen to voice acting 24/7 in the content they consume? Wouldn't exposing them to the talent of said indie movies give a better understanding of what they could/should sound like in certain situations? Or are you implying they don't listen to enough common lingo, slang, and certain dialect to show what's being said or express in anime and games is unnatural?

I'm not exactly sure where you're going with that.

Overall it's easy to see and to come across evidence of why Japanese voice acting is generally better than English voice acting and especially English dubbing in particular, but it doesn't help that for many, the observations and conclusions made about the voice acting of both languages generally never goes beyond "It just works"-styled statements. Given the general avoidance of English voice acting or even desire to have no voice acting over any English voice acting, it comes off as being elitist with an arbitrary, and in some cases even fundamentalist foundations that'd allow someone to make judgements or opinions in bad faith, such as one user months ago claiming that MGS would become a much better game series if it lacked voice acting. It can be said that he means "A plate with food and no shit on it is better than a plate with food and shit on it", though the way he acted implied he thought that voice acting and good video games are mutually exclusive no matter what, or that voice acting cannot have a neutral or positive effect.

While I'll trust a weeaboo's opinions more on voice acting than a normalfag's, especially one that consumed lots and lots of entertainment, the consumption itself of said entertainment also acts to make me more skeptical of what he says and thinks. I think what da5e7e means to say is that even if you know one thing is better than the other as is, that there can still be a case of greener grasses or maybe bias influencing thoughts in a way that isn't exactly good. Being right for the right reasons doesn't make it okay to start being right for the wrong reasons as well. There's people who'll reccommend, though not at the same time from the same people, that one should opt for the Japanese voices because you can't tell if they're bad if you don't know the language, and that one should choose the Japanese voices even if one does not know the language because the language barriers are not so strong that they prevent the intended messages and emotion from being conveyed. I've yet to hear any one person make this cognitive dissonance, though I've also yet to see anyone make the more plausible argument "You can tell when Japanese acting is good, but not when it's bad." or the inverse for English, "You can tell when English acting is bad, but not when it's good.".

Chaos Wars was the producers shelling it out to their families, not the developers. At least developers tend to have some kind of connections with artistic or talented people.

You mean O3 as the localization company. "Producers" makes it still sound like people actually involved with designing the game.

Who?

I definitely used to think that Japanese VO is better just because you cannot understand it so it doesn't sound bad to you. However after a decade of watching shit in japanese I can absolutely tell now when Japanese VA is shit and it definitely happens.

Because the Japanese you hear in weebshit is not used in common Japanese conversation or even a lot of live action entertainment. Saying the Japanese acting in animu or weeb games is superior is like saying English acting is best because you only listen to actors at your local community theater for reference. Not to mention Japanese VAs aren't these demigods of acting in their home country; most japs have no idea who seiyu are.