Receiver

This game sucks but I really like the idea of pressing a key for each of these steps. Are there any actual games that have in-depth gun handling?

I've heard of another game, Relock, that was supposed to be a multiplayer shooter with gun handling similar to Receiver. Unfortunately, it looks like the game is in indie development hell and hasn't been worked on in years.

Is there any reason you would do these things out of order to necessitate separating them to different keys?

If not, why have them on separate keys as opposed to the conventional one key to reload?

You could use the different PULL BACK SLIDE in order to justify gun jamming mechanics. If your gun jams, go to cover and pull the bullet off.
NO idea what the others could be used for though.

Because it's a gimmick to pseudo-simulate the tactile steps of reloading, which the game is designed around for the purpose of tension. This system is then used to meander around collecting audio files and getting tased by flying hot dogs as you fight the control scheme until you remember it.

Press X to reload lad. If it took two buttons everyone would think it was retarded, bar yourself of course.

If it was only a sequence of key presses, it could just be macro'd couldn't it?

Every level of the game starts with your gun in a random state, so to cheat effectively you'd already need to know the intricacies of the weapon.
A lot of what Receiver got right could be made into a very deep multiplayer shooter, it's the next logical step for simmers and realism nuts.

if you really cared about realism you'd be out at a range and not sitting in your basement clicking a mouse and keyboard / controller

This. There's no point in deabstracting reloading controls in video games or simulators when the control schemes are not reflective of the actual thing. If you want to learn the tactile skills needed to reload and clear jams effectively just do it with a real or dummy firearm. There's no reason to deabstract reloading away from one button. Clearing jams could be also be a single separate command so there's that too (not that you want to be clearing jams in a combat situation, you would just pull out your secondary weapon ideally).

I like the idea that Reciever introduces of mags being important loot. The more mags you have, the quicker you can put to use the ammo you have, since it's three presses as opposed to like, seven + for when you need to re-fill one.

Not that I know of, but there should be. It adds a lot of depth to the gun play by introducing magazine management and differentiating firearms by the way they operate.

no cuz "in depth gun handling" doesn't really translate into keyboard, most games you play as some kind of trained soldier or megacock operator so something like reloading a gun would be muscle memory for the player character. If it was all keyboard mapped or something you would just have people who map some kind of 1-2-3-4 setup to get the animation done as fast as possible OR worse, the animation would have a cap speed so the muscle memory would be pointless. I guess balance would certainly be a factor as well don't want some cunt with a macro reloading at max speed or something.

No
Hell yes, learning receiver mechanics was fun as shit and it's very satisfying to correctly reload one of those weapons in a pinch.

It's not always about trying to be super realistic. Having to worry about RNG gun malfunctions based on what ammo you are using sounds like a fun mechanic to do in a high tension situation. Granted I wouldn't put that mechanic into a PvP multiplayer game but rather a single player tactical shooter.

Firearms Source from gamenight was fairly good at this, mags being persistent and being able to merge their rounds if you find yourself with underloaded mags. Another small detail that gives me boners, though:

I remember a VR indie game that was effectively a virtual shooting range. One of those beta journos reviewed it and used the whole three minutes to go on a political tirade about muh guns muh unsafe feelings. Anybody seen the even around?

Webm. Fucking phone posting bullshit.

How do gear goblins reload? Does it tweet every time it reloads?

when you acquire enough tacgear you are granted a gear squire that carries more loaded rifles for you, when its time to reload the squire you one of the loaded rifles and reloads your empty one

I think I know what you're talking about, except the one I have isn't mega compressed to fit 12 MB.

VR would be your best bet.

Yes, that's the one. Do you have the name of the game so I can look the video up later?

I would love to see this mechanic implemented in a multiplayer FPS

On the file name, there's the uploader, video title, and youtube video i.d. You can youtube-dl

This would be a horrible and annoying mechanic in any game that was not built entirely around having to fight your control scheme to do basic shit. I can't think of any game besides Reciever where having this autistic a scheme for reloading would do anything other than tank the enjoyment you'd get from playing it.

Better question: Receiver is clearly the Vim of shooting games, so what would the Emacs be?

I think games like STALKER would benefit a lot by separating out the reloading and bolt pulling into two actions. A large part of what makes the game fun is already just using the guns. And I really wanna just be able to pull the bolt on an aks74u over and over and hear the sexy sound it makes.

It ends up being muscle memory in Reciever after an hour of playing, too. Not sure what your point is supposed to be, here, since executing muscle memory to be tacticool can be fun in itself.

but that's expensive user