Holla Forums Builds an Arcade

You've just been given an arcade. What do you do to keep it from going out of business?

Other urls found in this thread:

mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_Arcade_GP_VR
alibaba.com/showroom/vending-machine-credit-card.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't give a shit about business I just want taiko

You can have taiko, but how will you keep the store afloat? Mean Mr. Noseberg asks $1000 a month, & without other people spending money it won't last a week.

strippers flash you when you get a highscore

Work with game companies to get arcade machines of games that aren't ported to consoles yet

That wouldn't work forever. High scores cap out eventually.

Ok, how would you accomplish that?

DDR

VR station with omni treadmill

VR lapdance machines in backroom

Charge per-hour, not per-play, and have at least one overpriced
junkfood vending machine in view at all times.
This is how my local game store runs its esports cafe and it's doing gangbusters.

How much would it cost to get a Mario Kart VR machine? That would bring in some crowds.

mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_Arcade_GP_VR

does Konami still make DDR machines or would you need to buy an old one? I feel like maintaining a DDR machine would get expensive.

A flat price at the door with freeplay on everything would make more money.

I put it right next to the grade school.
Kids got plenty of money nowadays, can even sell shit on the side.

19 machines with Neo Geo Cup 98 The Road To The Victory and a DDR clone in the back.

This arcade in vegas does this. Its good if you wanna practice MVC2 or blazblu, or try out the newest console game for an hour to see how shit it is

Ho do they enforce that? Do they have people who's job it is to watch who's been there for an hour?"

Have it attached to a range.

I didn't know I wanted this

Its a small place. I think they just call out people who have been there for however long they paid for. You can see the back from the front desk.

Considering nintendo would license you out the ass, probably very expensive.
Still, 4 or 6 VR headsets and gokarts would probably be cheaper than a treadmill

sell liquor, because you can make money off a bar that loses money on arcade games.
if a liquor license is unattainable, then obviously sell weed out of the back room instead. pretty sure that's how most arcades made money in the 80s anyway

reset the highscore once a month, record the previous ones in a book or something

Bro, its the best. Trust me.

Get a group of enthusiasts together and try to form some sort of "Arcade Cooperative" where we all own the machines collectively and agree to maintain them and pay for electricity. I have seen many retro arcade attempts start up and fail in the past decade and I am not convinced that running them as a business is a viable model anymore.

Put it in the college part of town, supply craft beer, a smoking porch, and tetherball.
I'm not being creative, an arcade bar in my shitty go-nowhere city did this and it's a smashing success. Wall to wall with hipsters pretending they like pac-man and MKII.
I shred any challenger at whatever game they like and their confused anger turns to them grabbing the nearest midget beaner slut instead of playing vidya
this place is a door busting success
>mfw

Only disadvantage would be no minors allowed

PIKES FOR THE HEADS OF THOSE WHO WOULD VANDALIZE IT.

so a barcade then? I don't like the idea of blocking kids from playing metal slug.

Do what Galloping Ghost does.

That place is HUUUUGE inside in order to hold all those machines. They must have gotten very lucky to rent that place out.

I remember for the longest time in Montana minors could be in bars provided they weren't ordering alcohol.

I mean I know your intentions must be noble and I can see myself enjoying a place like that, but you have to see what this would result in.

I don't know if it'd be possible to make a Holla Forumsarcade without it being swamped by hipsters or niggers. Kids won't play them because they're used to winning all the time and they can't slide their parents' credit cards through an arcade machine. Fighting game machines would be surrounded by loud hustling niggers ruining any sense of sportsmanship. Putting classics would attract hipsters and putting obscure shit would attract the hipstiest of hipsters or those know-it-all assholes who wouldn't play any games, but instead stand there behind you and babble endlessly about pointless trivia.
As much as I would like to have a bar there and maybe a non-chain pizza/burger joint, I don't know how many of us would want to hang out with each other. this isn't some sort of shaming, I just know how much I was embarrassed by proxy when I went to the only gaming related convention in my small town
A pinball joint however…

Fuck yes. I could play pinball all fucking day. 850k on gorgar is my best high score

I HUNGER

I'm actually trying to get my own arcade set up.

>an F-Zero AX Monster Ride cabinet

DO VIDEO GAME BLUR THE LINE BETWEEN REALITY AND FICTION?

Obtain a liquor/food license, market it as a bar/restaurant.

Sell alcohol.

IT'S FUCKING RAW!

put in some outrun, daytona and some time crisis, house/typing of the dead, you're fuckin set

10/10 the last part especially

There's an arcade near where I live that makes a decent amount of money. They charge £10 for about 4 hours and is typically open until midnight. You can also buy drinks and stuff but best of all there is an 18+ age limit on Fridays. They also give you the chance to try VR if you're into that shit, personally I'm not and I'll go back to playing arcade Tetris or Galaga.

I've never knew there was something I wanted so much before.

If I made an arcade it would be like an arcade museum. We would require you to hand us your ID to enter and we will return it when you leave. Minors are allowed but only with adult supervision at all times and are restricted to the coin-op lobby. The coin-op lobby is where anyone can enter and can insert quarters to play. For the other areas you would have to purchase a credit card to that substitutes coins for credits. There is also a subscription you can purchase that gives you a card with 100 credits per day (the credits don't carry over), or you can buy one use non-refundable gift cards for 10-500 credits (each credit is 25 cents each).

The only real bitch about the place is having to hire security guards with pepper spray and have security cameras see everything. Because nothing shuts down an arcade faster in a small town than having drug deals with kids. Also there would be no public restrooms or refreshments. So I'll need a fast food joint or something near the business. Also food ban keeps the VR rooms clean.

ur stupid.

Lmao what an imbecile

Give me a better location and we'll talk about liberal pricing and not having bullshit restrictions. I'm stuck in a Christcuck town over taken by anchor baby beaners who believe in the "video games cause violence" narrative. Also my town's last arcade got shut down in the 80's because spics were dealing crack in the bathrooms and we've had an arcade ban since.

it's just some guy saying "ur stupid" in every thread:

For some reason I thought of an arcade machine with crab legs. Also thought about having a "truck-cade" where we outfit a semi trailer to be a working arcade we can drive almost anywhere.

There's an arcade at my local mall that makes you put money on a card which you then use to play games with. It's an astounding success. No one's ever at the fighting cabinets though.

That's because niggers have enough trouble holding onto their EBT cards as is.

nigger this is exactly what older arcades have been doing to try and keep their maturing audiences in, except it attracted actual niggers and gambling junkies

You know that would actually probably make a killing if you could figure out how the fuck to really pull it off. Once the novelty wears off and business dies down you just fuck off to someplace new like a carnival. Sell overpriced snacks and drinks and you'll be set.

The only problem is that the only way to realistically pull it off would be by hauling a ton of fucking gigantic arcade machines all over the place and renting a huge warehouse or some shit while you're in town, and that almost definitely would kill you before long. The idea of an actual arcade on wheels is pretty cool too but you wouldn't be able to fit very many machines inside unless you've got an entire goddamned convoy, and even then people would probably still be bumping elbows just for you to have enough machines to meet demand.

This dude…

I'd make sure all games are cheap and bullshit so i get maximum shekels from the idiotic low willed good goyim who can't stop with my skinner boxes.

Keep machines that only play catchy tunes

fucked up the text and have no idea why I drew this in oekaki instead of ms paint

Weight could be solved by leaving the original arcade machines at home and bringing around assemblable wooden ones powered by tiny computers running MAME. It's easier to transport wooden planks, a monitor, a raspi and an arcade stick than it is to lug around an old arcade machine. If something breaks, it's easily replaceable. If someone asks about legality bring up a pic of the machines you legally own.
Only downside would be not having an authentic experience, but most people who pretend to care about arcades don't care anyway.

Isn't replicating supposed to be illegal too even if you didn't rip any roms yourself?

Two words:

T R A P
M
A
I
D
S

A lot of machines got bootlegged in the past, by people getting to the board and reading off the chips. I'm not sure if the act of having a bootlegged machine itself was illegal though, just the copying.
If there's no legal way around that you could pop the original boards out of their arcade machines and use them, but that would be heavier. Also since each board would require it's own wiring, it would be a lot less simple than just plug-and-play.
Some machines would be possible without worrying about legality. Stepmania's stepmix series songs are licensed for commercial use, and making an arcade board of that wouldn't be too hard.

There's already several businesses that do mass console and game rentals, so there's definitely a market for an arcade truck.

what did he mean by this?
And what's with the influx of literally gay newfags on the entirety of 8ch in fucking September?

Damn and here I thought I came up with something original for once. I actually considered it being completely interior, but if I wanted to maximize the number of machines, there'd be no walking/breathing room inside.
Oh well, "it was original in my mind!".

The way I see it, the only way it'll make money is if you make a huge event out of it, and for that you'll need a lot more fucking machines than one truck can ever provide. Also, where would all the fucking electricity come from? I think you're going to fucking die if you try to hook those up to the truck or a generator.

They would also have to be the latest shit and you'd need more than a few of the hueg gimmicky ones like the full-body mario kart games and shit. Nobody's going to come all the way the fuck down to your sweaty truck and stand in the heat just to play pac-man. What you need is racing games, light gun games, and fightan, and fightan would be the only remotely easy one to pull off. People go to arcades for shit they can't get anywhere else. That's part of why arcades died in the first place

I don't know, user, but I'm willing to bet this place will look alot like 4chan soon.

This is more like a private catering service type thing though, I thought we were talking about a fucking truck that just drives around and lets randos hop in and play until closing. Also they do laser tag too which somehow I get the feeling is what's keeping them afloat.

I was thinking about using these big electrical outlets they have in some city centers, but those are often reserved for social events, so it would have to be an actual event like some user above said. Or maybe it could use one of those hippy electric car recharge stations, those are free, at least in Europe. Though I doubt it'd have enough power to support all the equipment, unless you went with the ChinkPi solution.

The thing about truck-ade is that it can work in a relatively small area if you own the warehouse. And just about any building can be a electronics warehouse if you air-condition it and dust seal it or shrink-wrapping cabinets not in use.

Of course the main thing that you have to be wary about is insurance and events. Bringing truck-ade to a foot ball game is not going to win you any clients. But things like festivals, conventions, and carnivals with booths will be bread and butter. Also you need to make sure you're the monopoly of your area. Prices are going to be higher than average. Though I'm sure the pay to play x hours will work in most places. Unless you like teathering I doubt we can keep tokens in check with cards. And not alot of people carry quarters nowdays. Play as much as you want in an hour for $5 doesn't seem like a bad deal. Of course we have to keep customers rotating so after your hour it's back to the line. Depending on how busy it is prices and time can be adjusted.

I can honestly say I've never even seen one of the latter before, but I can almost guarantee you'll wind up in deep shit if you plop your fatass truck onto it and hook up a bunch of video games while pedoph prius owners get stranded on the freeway.

Yeah, I guess that's all you could do, huh? Kinda throws the original idea of being a traveling arcade out the window if all you do is go cruising around the same area all the time, but I guess it's better than nothing. No matter how I look at it I feel like it's just going to be hemorrhaging more money than a normal arcade though.

get rid of the machines, every wiring except for some lights, put cheapest mattresses I can find on the floor and set up some shoddy walls, then lease the lot out to section 8.

No VR shit. Fuck all of you niggers wanting that.

Second, make the arcade whites and asains only.

I'm sure there's some law preventing this

That doesn't cover you, you're still seen as pirating something.

Second, tell whoever it is to fuck off, because now a lot of arcade boards are dying. Ask any Sega Model 1 owner. Making a MAME machine is just common sense.

Too bad shitskins keep breaking them, otherwise they'd be in my arcade.

A truck is a nice business idea but I'd say a good sized warehouse that's located in or near a city with a convention center is the best idea. You can get a good influx of customers from most entertainment cons, I imagine. I managed to get into Disney Quest a couple of times before they closed it up for ESPN'S SPORTSBALL WORLD and I think their setup was pretty practical and accomodating, if but a little vertical. From what I remember, they had everything mostly sectioned off, the motion simulators like the carpet and dinosaur ride in one zone, the weird "create your rollercoaster" dealio in another, and then there was several layers of arcade machines over several floors, with some spaces being taken up by the hockey duck giant game thing. Have the warehouse divided into sections, one being just a massive collection of cabinets, have another section for some kind of create your own autism container, and have a laser tag/VR space, the VR could probably be sectioned into booths with accomodating space. Do a flat entrance fee for the arcade and motion simulator section, have all or most of the cabinets on freeplay except for maybe certain competitive games, have a couple people who just hang around that area wearing french maid outfits and cat ears whose job is to keep the games working and to wipe off the detritus that the grubby blobs of flesh leave after dribbling their snot over all the buttons. Make your laser tag, really really good. Have a customizable arena, have a bunch of large blocks on wheels, get a bunch of foam cubes from a gymnastics supplier that you can arrange into reusable breakable walls, steal shit from airsoft tourneys, have different modes including "traditional one hit you're out," "X hits before being out," "one vs all," call it zombies, kids love zombies and such. Have different kinds of laser weapons, shotguns, sniper rifles, pistols, hell even laser grenades. Gussy up the headgear and lapel, make it look like knockoff Destiny armor. Shit, you could probably make a knockoff live action FNAF thing with staff pretending to be animatronics and some creative liberties of the customizable space, you cannot comprehend how much fucking money something like that would make. For the VR space just have a bunch of oculus or vives with a bunch of games, advertise that they don't have to spend 1000+ dollars on a custom rig and set when they can pay a rental fee of 5-15 dollars a session to play the new hotness.
HAVE AN EXTRA FEE TO LET THEM RECORD THEIR SESSIONS AND LET THEM POST IT ONLINE, GET THE SHITHEADS WHO WANNA BE STREAMERS, TAKE THEIR MONEY

niggers don't care, BLM is all for segregation at least on college grounds

From there on, add or remove features based on what works.

>(((Galloping Ghosts)))
That's just a shitty libtard hangout, so no

I'd serve crab legs

Honestly, I'd probably make it a barcade but still open to younger kids. There would be a one-time fee of 15$ or something for three or five hours of play. I'd also put in a few competitive 1v1 games up front and center with huge screens so people can show off their skills and challenge eachother. Tetris, Puyo puyo, MvC, you name it. Monthy tournaments where a random game is chosen and you have to score above a certain amount. Winner gets free wings

Also, I've been wondering; would Touhou work as an arcade game? I think that'd be a spectacle, though maybe that's just because I've never seen one in person. I imagine that would draw up a lot of attention if it were anywhere here in the west.

Just make it so a continue uses a quarter. Boom, weeb moneymaker. Also I bet watching 2hu PoFV tournaments played by proficient people would be really cool to watch.

It just hit me that somebody said earlier that people don't carry quarters anymore.

I still carry around change for tolls. Does this machine accept credit cards?

not that one
hold the fuck up

These would be a must. Most people only carry credit cards with them, and even if they did bring money, it wouldn't be enough.

Cosplaying female employees

I think I would actually have to sell my ass to the Arabs to keep it goin

Good idea here

It may be wise to have solar panels and generators in the truck if you want to sit down somewhere without power strips, but that's an investment that won't be necessary in the first five years. Truck-ade most likely going to start in the midwest.

That's if we're operating 24/7 as a cross-country tour. Truck-ade is going to be a spring-summer seasonal business for rural areas. Unless the business gets insanely popular and another investor wants to expand capital to support cross country the truth is Truck-ade is going to be a short-term small business. That said the investment in that business in that short time could be reimbersed if another business wants to use your assets to sponsor their things. Like as a tour truck promoing the PS5 or a small Nintendo tour.

Truck-ade can work as a promotion tour. Also like what said, it needs a reliable business first. And why not double the warehouse as an open arcade to pay bills once there's enough games.

Besides I have no ambitions of making this into an international corporate business. I'm not Jewish looking to parasite off of everyone else to make it happen.

Tbh I think the success of an arcade depends on where it's located more than anything. Arcades in nippon are pipular because the country is so small so you can always find one easily. In amerikwa they only work in urbanite hives from what I've seen. So put it in a faggy hipster area with craft beers and go from there. If you don't want to kill yourself or the small souled bugman it will likely attract it might do okay but won't recapture the feel of old arcades.

wait woah I thought this was a completely fictitious, fabricated scenario we were working with here

AAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

it is

There has to be a little bit of reality. Otherwise we'll get Assigned Male levels of dillusion. And that breaks fiction for me.

Ban niggers and jews.

good luck with that, goy

Yeah that's not a bad idea, hadn't considered the possibility of shilling a new console on some coast-to-coast journey. Probably a pipe dream even if truck-ade were a thing, but stranger things have happened.
No, but you've gotta at least make even and preferably even a little bit more to keep yourself from dreading the business. People often underestimate the importance of profit, dismissing it as something only dirty jews care about because they have "muh passion," then act surprised when their business tanks or they start hating life.

I want that fucking hat.

By "trying to get set up" do you mean fantasizing? Or are you actually moving on this? What state will it be located in, if you're a burger?

L O N D O N

/int/ pls

Of course profits have to be a thing. But there's also acknlowledgement that all businesses don't last forever. Due to how short the arcade boom lasted in the 80's and 90's it's safe to say Truck-ade won't last forever as an arcade. So making sure the business can adapt into another industry is a must have back up plan.

While a large warehouse filled with entertainment is a good end result, feasibly speaking, a good start should be using a truck filled with laser tag equipment, and advertising as a rental entertainment business that isn't video games is great looking to investors and customers. A couple notes on this start up idea, the truck should have at the minimum; a large number of cheap inflatable props that will be easy to replace and set up quickly, based on your engineering know how either homemade laser rifles (somewhat difficult to do cheaply but will be easy to care for) or a bulk assortment of store bought ones (that you'll probably go through like quicksand), safety equipment and laser vests, and of course an eye catching logo on the side. Don't use foam cubes outside of a warehouse, they'll go bad quickly and they're not that cheap. Ideally you should advertise for birthday and office parties (the old classics), but again targeting local convention centers and whatever they're hosting can usually score you a gig if you phrase your proposal right. If you're in a university or college town try contacting fraternities and sororities as well as seeing if they have a freshman week you can bargain a job for. Always make sure your clients can pay on the spot or in advance, and carry numerous extra copies of safety release forms. If this business gets out of the initial red phase, then you can try going for the warehouse deal and set up the larger custom arena there with more interesting environments with rolling blocks and foam cube walls, with the large rolling blocks make sure the bottoms have padding to avoid stubbed toes. Really big important note here, while concrete floors are ok for not stupid people, if you want to accomodate groups of children at your warehouse site, look to invest in some padded flooring, you can probably get that at the same place you'd buy the foam cubes. And then once the warehouse business gets out of the red and you've got reliable profits, you can start prepping unused space for VR booths and/or the arcade floor.

Games with stuff you could never do with a home port, 8 Daytona deluxe cabinets all linked together, a Neo-Geo with all slots filled with fightans, DDR and Taiko.

Money aside and ideal patrician games to place:

1.- Metal Slugs
2.- Pump it Up (the newest one with ALL songs from every single pump it before it)
3.- the latest DDR, though PIU is the superior machine gameplay-wise
3.- Some fighting games, Garou mark of the wolves, etc. Maybe Put a set up with a PC and emulate Tatsunoko vs Capcom for like 5 monitors. I'd do this with many multiplayers. Jojo HotF
4.- Id have a lounge for smash bros, but they have to order something to play at the cafe/bar. Id also have other party games, Kart, dokapon kingdom, mario parties, etc.
5.- Table rooms for DnD and tabletop card games, that's 0 cost so I wouldn't charge
6.- Beat em ups: Die Hard the videogame, Michael Jackson, turtles in time, simpsons arcade game, capcom beat em ups (chronicles of mystara, captainc commando, etc)
7.- light gun games: Time Crisis, house of the dead, the sega jurassic park,
8.- run and gun: ghost and goblins, three wonders, wonder boy, willow, sunset riders,
9.- shoot em ups: there's a myriad of them to choose from here. un squadron, ikaruga, 1943, r-type, gladius, etc
10.- puyo puyo fever, among other worthy puzzle games to have
11.- I guess I'd have a guitar Hero at a cheap price and Taiko
12.- I guess I'd have to put some racers, but i don't really play arcade racers much, so I wouldn't know best here.

can be card based or quarter based, whatever they want

For ammenities There would have to be a bar, a cafe, a restaurant outside the arcade (casual dining, fair prices, well invested, family/mom and pop/indie and offer all the good local stuff and all the local brew shit to cater to the hipsters and the organic not-chain restaurant/arcade vibe. Would serve more than just shitty generic arcade food. Maybe a deli bar like wholefoods has so people can eat healthy. But also fat shit like a nice pizza for those who want to indulge. This would be OUTSIDE of the arcade but linked to eat so theres peace and quiet for people to catch a break. bar could be inside the arcade. wouldn't overprice water.

karaoke room would be cool, party hosting rooms for rent would also be a thing. Laser tag would be nice too. ideally having kart racing outside the arcade (and/or bumpy boats were you soak each other by bumping)
ultimately, a LAN room as a cybercafe on the second floor or next door would be the icing on the cake. would host local CS/Insert co-op multi here tourneys to encourage regulars to get to know each other, play together, and make friends.

no children area, this is mainly for teens and above.

Invent a time machine and go back to the 80s. It really isn't possible to keep an arcade afloat anymore, not in the west. You'll get a bunch of faggots saying "just sell booze," but guess what, barcades fucking suck. They're shitty as bars because of the noise from the games. And they're shitty as arcades because of drunks breaking shit and being belligerent.

Well the topic was make an arcade, but laser tag seems to be an alternative start up. Less power consumption means less fuel to burn. That said it kinda locks me into using the truck only for laser tag because of the extensive modifications required to have plugs safely for a wall of arcade machines.

Alternatively what if I had a variant of laser tag that uses the same tech but is used to shoot 3D projections on the walls instead? That way while the laser tag arenas are set up in the places I cater I can in the truck I can set the lasertag tech demo as a co-op on rails shooter. That way even the unfit can have a turn playing.

We never mentioned putting in a Polybius machine with one of the fan games inside.

I thought of that. But isn't that also a PSVR game too? Not sure if Sony or whoever the publisher would let us have a Polybius cabinet by another author.

Well, I would need to sell snacks. The quarters that customers put into the machines are not enough to keep my business operating in the green.

I will also have to sell off certain machines that do not pull in money over a 3 month period and may also need to buy duplicate cabinets of games that are popular enough to form long lines.

I'm going to need to have an advertising budget as well. College campuses and areas around schools will be good places to put up fliers and I will need to get ad space on a billboard in a high traffic area of town.

I'm also going to need employees that have been trained to be friendly to customers and diligent in cleaning. If the place is not presentable then customers won't want to return. It's also a mark of a failing business for the staff to lose interest in cleaning.

WHITES ONLY

That is why there is a fee at the door and free play rather than Coin OP

Merge it with other, similar businesses. I live half an hour away from the largest arcade on the planet and they've got minigolf on the top floor, two floors of arcade games, and bowling plus a bar on the bottom floor.

Is the bar called Abari, and is the shitty go-nowhere town Charlotte, North Carolina?

The arcade is called Game Nest right? That arcade doesn't seem to have many games.

Simple task, just make a Japan themed arcade with Japanese arcade/vending/gambling/photo booth machines in a place where it's known Japanimation conventions or a Japanese/Japanophile community lives, it's guranteed people will eat that shit up
Have every Cab in Japanese mode to really get that Japanophile money.

You didn't specify keeping it non-cancerous so I'd pander to BBT-loving psuedo-geeks, charge a fuckton for pretentious food and fake-gamer products (e.g. Zelda and Mario referencing t-shirts) since they don't really play games.

Have it in a side room of a place that serves good food. Kids will want to play after they eat or while their food is cooking. The town where I went to school had a place like that and it was running for years before the owners sold it and the new owners got rid of the machines.

Either way I think we can all agree that arcades can't support themselves on their own.

Yeah, the laser tag thing is more of an "if you actually wanted to create an arcade in real life this would be a reasonable method to get there because if you haven't already noticed arcades exist by themselves anymore in the US" sort of deal. If we're going full truckcade, the first thing is to take into consideration is the physical limits of the space you're working with. You can get variable lengths from 28 to 53 feet, and you've got a little more than an 8 by 8 foot space to set things up. Let's say an average arcade cabinet is takes up about 3 by 3 feet of horizontal space and a little under 6 feet tall. I've made a small mock up for a design using the 53 foot length, with a sample arcade cabinet on the top left to copy and paste. I've lined up arcade cabinets on the side of the truck for reference.

does nu/v/ hate fun?

see

you stupid fuck
actually read the thread instead of ctrl+F'ing next time

Use it as a front for criminal activity.

No gay ass pacmoan no girls allowed.
Aircraft sims, racing, shooters, fighting, and games with lots of mecha.
also have vid related in the bathrooms.

My fucking dude

Shit arcade
You know what? I take that back.

Sell booze and pot + strippers

/thread

No girls allowed. Get out of here faggot.

The reason for no pacman is to keep out hipsters and posers.

Doesn't it sound fun, goy?

Just put Ms. Pac-Man in a stripper club and be done with it.

Boy you must be fun at party's.

Why can't there be World of tanks, the arcade version.

good stuff
not TMNT Arcade, not Alien vs. Predator
too broad a generic "catch all". Therefore its disqualified. Now quit begin such a faggot or (you) wont be allowed in our arcade.

What are the arcade police gonna check it to make sure its legit? I'm sure that unless you manage to hit the big time and become a national chain or something nobody is going to notice or care.

And you aren't selling the machines or the roms, you're selling TIME in front of them.

Doesn't the arcade version of turtles in time have less stages then the snes one?

no, but you could sell boardgames and have game nights etc. with a small entry fee. You can make a killing off MTG. Plus that's extra space you have to pay rent on.

You guys have great ideas.

Anyone have any idea what the electric bill for running a single arcade machine for a full business day would be?

I would like to be able to sort out how that cost factors into arcade ownership as an arcade expands.

My local arcade keeps adding machines, and as happy as that makes me it makes me wonder if they've thought it through financially.

Isn't Wargaming in general a mix of Autists, Millitary/Ex-Millitary and Millitary Autists

That's styandard on XCar parking meters

Screen your employees for social justice indoctrination
Also have a working Bubble Bobble, Gyruss, 1942/3 and Double Dragon

If you don't mean if Konami themselves literally manufacture them, the last one was released in August 2016, and it even has free eAMUSEMENT support.

fill it with whores

The thread is about making an arcade.
pray tell, how did I post off-topic?

Ex owner of an arcade in mexico, unless youre ready for seventy hours a day of KOF dont open one here, also, Malls charge you two and a half kidneys per month in rent, and I wont open one in my home because that would be stupid, I still miss the drunken soul edge weekends with my old patrons, though.

I have been collecting arcade pcbs for years and have a pretty good working collection. AVP, Children of the atom, MVC, and a bunch of other capcom stuff, Primal rage, Bionic commando, Punisher, Soul edge, Tekken 2 and 3, Mario Bros, Fantastic joruney (parodius) and various 80s pre jamma stuff like pacman, asteroids etc. I am working with a local carpenter to try and get a simple cab design he can get built fairly easy and start pumping them out so i can get some of them housed and running. I have a decent size warehouse on my property so i can store them as i am working on getting them ready. I live in a small college town so i think there will be some interest but i am mainly doing it because i want to and my current business will help support it until it can support itself if that is even possible today. I am leaning towards a membership style setup but also considering straight walk in coin op.
seeing chuckecheeze going toward a credit card type setup was interesting as well. There are several large buildings that are in decent shape that are completely empty in town. Two have shit parking one had plenty of parking but is pretty expensive. They are all large enough to acomidate vending or a couple of small stores inside. I was considering making the interior the arcade and renting out some of the other rooms for events or to vendors that might be interested in having say a comic shop or food place inside my arcade. I do not have any plans to do anything alcohol wise and i do prefer not to deal with food service. I like the idea of letting people record their playthrough or streaming live. Maybe stream some tournaments if there are enough people in the area to even attend my arcade. It is something i think i would enjoy at least until the first kid spills his drink on a machine or when i have to clean the controls and start catching every cold in town.

As for modern arcades, the point I'm not clear on is how one runs a legitimate arcade. I'm pretty sure it's not going to fly, legally, to just open an arcade with 20 or 30 LCD cabinets all running RasPis with MAME or something. Is it legitimate just to have original hardware? What legal liabilities are there pertaining to intellectual property, or other issues?

I would make a different bunch of MAME cabinets. One for sports, then fighting games, then shmups. Set the prices for food and drinks high so you're there to play video games and not get drunk and try to destroy the bar.

What about gangs stealing your stuff and killing patrons also can you answer >>13447928's question?

With the mame cabinets it's a case of how long can you charge people before you get caught. That would have to be free access for anyone.

shit/10

>reddit the post

I'd rather die tbh fam

Rule 1: NO NIGGERS

Do nigs even go to arcades?

I'd go there. Only need pinball machines.

They're part of the reason arcades died in the first place

How so?

by making it unsafe for kids

Electric bill would be harsh, you could tone it down by using more efficient cabinets I'm sure.

From a 2003 post on ArcadeControls:

Average electricity price in the US is $0.12/kWh.

So if you leave the machines on 24 hours, you're looking at 4.8 kW/day, so $0.57 per machine per day, or about $210 per machine yearly. However, if you power them down during off hours and only run 8 hours/day, you're only looking at $70/machine yearly. Really, I'd be more concerned about the cost of renting the space.

I do think the key would be diversification. You want to draw in people with overlapping interests, instead of just pacman hipsters or just obese grognards. I have a friend who drives half an hour every week to a tabletop store that isn't even very good, it's just that a bunch of autists congregate there and it's sort of a third space for them. Third space means good recurring revenue, and the bigger you can make that customer base, the better. Shit, there's even a gaming lounge in the same city that does Bring Your Own Console/PC at $2/hour, or use one of theirs for $7/hour (or VR rentals for more), and while I've never visited, they've been around for years and haven't shut down yet.

So really, you need to work out your core features to draw people in, which means pick and choose from

And then your core moneymakers

And then work out your money sinks

If you're actually going to do something like this, your state probably has small business grants that you should look into. You can also take classes on running a small business so you can get a grasp on the legal end of things. It'll get more complex if you want to serve beer there, remember to be anal about checking IDs or the cops can shut you down completely and fine you into oblivion.

How much easier would this challenge be if you had a driven gamedev providing you with new games that targeted the old appeals that your typical arcade doesn't cater to at all?

Instead of games that are approaching their 40th anniversary, new games that are simple to pick up but provide growing challenge that makes it exciting to race to the top of the scoreboard.

Also Fighters, brawlers, racers, puzzles, and anything else that's fun to go head-to head on.

A lot of arcades have replaced tokens with magnetic cards. Just have the card only work for however long the customer has paid for.

FUCK YES. I fucking need this in my life.

That sounds really good, actually. It'd probably be a whole lot easier to get a bunch of independent developers on an arcade-style setup. With a nice bar near the front, have a bunch of handmade cabinets with custom decals for games from Devolver Digital or Locomalito for instance. Some of Daniel Remar's games would work great for this, imagine having Hyper Princess Pitch on an arcade cabinet and having people watch as somebody suplexes through the game. You could have a Hotline Miami cabinet with custom level packs next to a Nidhogg cabinet. Hell, get some cheap usb controllers that look like old snes/genesis controllers and have a station set up with some of those 4 player faux retro games like Duck Game or something. It'd probably be cheaper and easier to maintain a bunch of cheap monitors and computers than to go through getting genuine arcade cabinets. You can rent the controllers and could rent out private gamerooms to parties.

Pretty much every Pump from Fiesta onwards is an 'All of PIU songs collection', although licensing does kill some songs eventually.
Currently, Prime 2 has almost 400 songs.

Laser tag, karaoke, kart racing… Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Cafe Beta?

sounds about right.

AAAAYYY

I mean, isn't that the whole problem solved? There's a degree of vicious cycle to it, but at the core the problem with the industry is that the game makers kept throwing all the eggs into the hottest new basket, which toward the end of the heyday was all ticket gambling or some absurdly short and overpriced novelty.

What killed the arcades was that you had to pay a dollar or more for a game that lasted less than five minutes. The tokens were eaten too fast for even a lot of the less savvy consumers to justify a trip to the arcade. Good old joystick and button games were old hat, so the same ones from the 80's and 90's sat in the back maybe getting fixed on occasion until they wore out.

Keep in mind Japan prettymuch controlled the whole games industry back when the arcades went to crap. It worked just fine over there because people walk, so it was easy to sucker mobs in to pay 150yen to flip a virtual table. When you go out of your way drive to a place to play video games, you tend to want more value.

Open it near a college, import a shit ton of Japanese arcade machines and retro games, and sell beer

every single 2dx style

Question: What if one of your waitresses is a trap?

Also how's power consumption on non-video arcade games like wack-a-mole and pinball?

Only four kinds of people will go to arcades regularly in this day and age: rhythm game players, fighting game players.

Rhythm game players are easy to please. Just get the newest version of every game, so SDVX IV, IIDX Cornballs, etc.

Fighting game players are not so easy to please. 2 cabs of every relevant game would be ideal, but to stay relevant as an arcade you'd have to run tournaments maybe every month.

t. guy who loves in a country with only 4 arcades worth visiting

*two
fugg

I've given this some thought in the past, because I love arcade machines, but realistically I'm probably just going to end up with a basement full of machines, but here's what I had in mind:

I'd buy a stripmall, and connect all of the stores. The roof of each would be covered in solar panels. The first store would be a retro 50's style diner that sold everything from pizza to carnival food, but it would be more retro-futuristic with kind of a sci-fi aesthetic to the furniture and menu. The menu would have a few specialty items replicating recipes from movies and video games, there's a huge number of youtube channels that specialize in just this, like binging with babish and feast of fiction, so we'd have a stock menu of those dishes, but we'd take specialty orders as well and some stuff that doesn't exist anywhere else, like fried chocobo, hedgehog pie, octorock soup, etc.

Connected to that would be a combination retro video game/anime/comic book/TCG & traditional board games store. A wider variety or merchandise would hopefully keep it from being dependent on any one industry not to fail.

There would be coupons and combo deals at each, like every purchase at either of these stores earns you credit at the arcade for example.

The machines at the arcade would rotate in and out every couple weeks, with a posted schedule and even a request form. We'd hold tournaments and host world record attempts, decorate the place and have movie nights with a big screen projected in front of the diner.

Getting ahold of some stuff you can't play anywhere else would be key, maybe I'd import some Gundam P.O.D.s and pay to have them translated or something. I mean, the fact that there's stuff at the Galloping Ghost I can't play anywhere else is a big part of why I want to go there, driving across the country, hopefully next week.

I build it in a third world country.
Works wonders in the Philippines where the average kid's parents can't afford a home console or a decent computer, so they hang out in arcades and internet cafes instead.

Sounds like you could get away with making it a museum. Still that is alot of real estate and malls have a variety of businesses for a reason. That said if your intent is to make a theme park without rides indoors then it could work. Just need an appeal other than 80s-90s hipsters.

Fill it up with pinball cabinets, because ironically they have a bigger audience than arcade vidya at this point.

Panic Park is the best arcade game I've played. I'd go to some shitty pay to enter place just to play it againif I had someone to play with.

and they'll forget their phones and other expensive technology that their parents trust them with from time to time.

Either basically do this , or set up an internet cafe in the asian part of town. Anything else is asking to be financially raped.

I turn it into a "pop culture" store with wall to wall of funko pops. I'll have a poorly lit corner at the back with some old arcade machines so I can play fighting games with some friends though.

You deserve rape.

I literally made my own arcade game. (It's also on steam so you can tell me if it seems like a good fit).

If I wanted arcades to come back, it'd be filled with 90s style games like Metal Slug, Gauntlet, DDR, and that 3d robot vs fighting game that had 2 joysticks. That thing was badass

That's the one that didn't sell much and you made a thread promoting it earlier, right?

Yup, the arcade machines were my backup plan. That thread is still "active" right now too

where the fuck the crt?

That's badass, period. Kudos to you, user.

If we actually did make an arcade, make sure we ban the thin skinned pussys' over at /girltalk/ from our glorious store.

Only 2D is allowed.

Tie it in with a goddamn gaming-mobile using paired computers with copies of a variety of co-op shooters, fighting games, racers, etc. You could use turnbased strategy games so groups of friends can help whoever's playing make decisions as a team. I'd get a pair or trio of really high-energy gamerfolk to man the thing and challenge anyone even moderately young to a game in almost trash-talk fashion, way too cons and put the employees in cosplay, run it through halloween/christmas themes, tie it in with new releases, etc. It'd be like children's icecream trucks, but it offers competition rather than sweets - or, perhaps, with sweets as a consolation prize.

Polybius counter but all it is is Galaga

The point of this thread is to theoretically bring in business, user. VR would definitely do it, and I feel having VR would still be more dignified than filling the arcade with ripoff prize games and mobileshit ported to arcade cabinets.

OH. HERE'S ONE. Get a whole goddamn section of custom cabinets for monster hunter games from Tri onwards just for co-op arena matches!

Doesn't that still work with the "Charge for admission and booze, all arcades are freeplay" model?

I think you underestimate how long it takes to make one game, even simple arcade ones. Arcades worked, at least partly, because there was variety, and that variety was possible because you had all of the greats making competing games simultaneously. Additionally, now that arcades aren't considered the hot new thing, but rather a symbol of the past, you need at least a bit of the past in there. People want to see the classics.

This.

polybius 2

Fill a truck with street fighter and tekken, and drive around ghettos looking for crowds of blackness congregating around dudes getting schooled. I'll open up the back of my truck and let them all play for free. The interior of the truck is full of button cameras, the cabinets are cheap plywood and rasberry pis with emulators, and everything, including the truck is highly insured. It's like L.A. Noire except with Detroit style weeaboos.
I call it
THE NIGGER RIGGER

Have fun cleaning all the semen off your arcade machines.

maybe. But I'm guessing if it's anyone who is trying to shut you down it will be larry business with his army of lawyers who will claim you making people pay for arcade games you stole(since the emulator) and didn't buy.
That's my guess

Even with the cameras they will still rob you and try to take your shit. If you're contacting the police around those ghetto areas it will take a whole lot of time to recover your shit

So the key would be to put it in a remote town so people wouldn't have anything else to do

You can make a strip club arcade. pay to play the game and the highest scores get the longest time with the strippers. strippers alternate around certain cabinets so everyone has a chance to get good at different games to get their stripper of choice.

Sorry, but you're not a good fit for our company culture.

>host "Arcade Shitbox" Discord server and build an "Arcade Shitbox" personality cult gamer culture

I want some mecha arena group pvp cabinets, 3 vs 3 mecha battles. Any games like gundam where I can fight others in a mech?

I want to set an arcade when I'm old.
To avoid hipsters and SJWs, I'll call it "The Patriarcade"

concentrate on pinball and games that can be played competitively (fighters, etc) and most importantly get a liquor license

There's the Custom Robo games, but those are tiny robots.

virtual on is still the best fighter

Too obvious.
Fill the arcade with non current year'd vidya and you've got your crowd, anybody who tries to start shit is asked to take their business elsewhere.

columbus ohio has a pinball joint coupled with duck bowling. ping pong, giant jenga, and beer and food and two very large patios.

It's called pins. It's pretty nice.

Release low levels of an extremely addictive odorless gas into the arcade at all times, so that people's lives start to fall apart if they don't regularly come to pay and play.
A customer base is good, a slave base is better.

I would section off different types of games in different parts of the building.

>Fighting games in their own corner. Tournaments would be held on a bi-monthly basis would have extra security to keep an eye on niggers.

No food would be served. Bring your own because I'm not paying the cost to take care of a stove nor do I want to worry about health risks from serving food.

Do it like this with that window kind, crt's in the windows and lcd's hung on the outside, with controls hanging out.

okay what the fuck did i miss?

So kinda like an old retail display?

May as well add a go kart track themed to F-Zero or Mario Kart or other such racing game.

Terrible.

Seriously spread the machines, and sell impulse food between the popular ones

That's not a bad thing
I'm not your fucking babysitter; eat before you get there.
You're right, no food allowed then.
I'm not selling junk food to a bunch of fatasses. The games already stimulate them, I don't want them sugared up from candy.

Back rooms with VR porn.

So I'm thinking about this a little too much and after finding out my state's maximum building size without a permit, that shipping containers could be easily converted into an arcade space that could save some of the trouble of setup. Modular arcade units you could ship around on trucks and set down anywhere could be a cheap and effective business strategy. One big thing I noticed is that if you use a shipping container you'll need insulation if you live somewhere that can have extreme temperatures, but if you get that set up having a cozy arcade set up at a county fair could be ace. Is ace still a thing?

It's not about what you want, it's about what the market wants.

That'd be fucking great. You could even give out download keys for the games as prize for beating the game and/or getting high scores

This is literally why my game is in an arcade cabinet now here

A local person wants to open up a barcade and fill them with our indie games. Just gotta get the barcade itself funded.

That's nice, hope your game get more people to play your game

Girls play topless.

Events. Tournaments. Shit to do. Give people a reason to come in and socialize, compete, and be part of something. If you advertise good games and fun events, more people will come in.

Now that's where you are wrong (well, not if there is a law against it).

alibaba.com/showroom/vending-machine-credit-card.html

To be honest, I've wanted a Neo Geo cabinet for a while if only for the fact it's a 4 in 1 cabinet. Problem is I don't know what I would do with it.

i dont think you understand the question

-Put in only random chance games, but with modified RNGs to only give rewards after a set payout period

-Give guests incentives to continue playing for money by offering free drinks to losers

-Remove all clocks so guests lose track of time
I call it a "Casino"

put in Konami pachinko machines and you'll get a steady source of profit in customers whose sole purpose being there is to play it and be outraged

Aww man I just wanted to play some exidy games. Venture is the shit.

The only correct answer.