Studying "game dev"

How come the best games were made by people who just wanted to make fun video games?
People who study game design and other shit have no idea how to make a good video game.

Other urls found in this thread:

godotengine.org/article/how-actually-make-your-dream-game
dustinbragg.itch.io/yo-noid-was-ahead-of-its-time
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

something something jews

You're making it really obvious buddy

Because modern universities and colleges are full of jewish marxist neo-liberal propaganda.

Quite simple really. Video game hobbyists who make 'romhacks' or mods are just doing it on their own time, and thus, are able to put a lot more effort into their work, whereas AAA game devs are being paid hourly to work, and couldn't care less how the product turns out since they'll be making money anyway.

The solution? Pay video game devs on commission.

Someone should make a game starring a black trany in a wheelchair as a joke. Don't even give the playable character any special powers or anything, just make them an average tranny cripple who has to transverse the map slowly and if your wheelchair tips over its a game over. That would be pretty hilarious I think.

OP of that last thread, I'm not samefagging

There's a difference between making something because you want to and making something because you're paid to do it and have no other choice because you need money to buy food.

People who study video games, graduate to work at EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard, or whatever soulless AAA dev who might have used to make good games. That's in the rare case the grad gets employed. When they don't, they make a handful of indie games while working at Starbucks before offing themselves when they realize they'll never pay off their loan debt

Just as bad, enjoy coding in Java and C# for eternity

That's not true though.

I can understand why you mentioned Java but C# is used pretty commonly for game design.

Well at least I'll have a job and if I'm half decent at it I won't get replaced by a pajeet

Of course they study games, they just don't go to some misguided game school that will lock them into predetermined thought patterns to do it. What they do is examine games on both a technical and design standpoint, all while asking one simple question:

"How and why does this work?"

Oh and also they do the work required to make their games real, which is a lot rarer.

Making games is a creative process and going to school to learn game development is the same as going to art school to learn to draw.
You don't do it.

The reason you go to school for something like that is to make industry connections

You mean 'alt-left' infiltration.

Yes attempting to heavily write your politics in for you is a part of these classes, and why you shouldn't go to gamedev/artschool.

That's where you're wrong kiddo.

Trying too hard.

Please gas yourself, and go back to the goober thread.

Wasn't the term "alt-left" coined by Trump in his statement on the Challenger incident?

How does Marxism effect game design? Everything in your game is equally shitty and then you mass murder 100 million people when it fails?

I don't care who coined it, it's just a fucking retarded name. We already had SJW, this shit is uninspired like "deflate gate" and similar bullshit.

t. triggered commie

By making your social profile a breeding ground for trying to force marxist ideals on the next generation because that will surely work!
Pro tip: it doesn't

On that note, it's known that publishers pay devs a bonus based on high Metacritic scores. Metacritic scores are based on an average of scores given by gaming outlets which have been overrun with SJWs. Therefore, game devs are incentivized to cater to SJWs because their income is quite literally being held hostage by a vocal minority.

THISSSS
I almost studied game development and Im so glad I went for regular computer science instead.
The reason why I decided against it was having 'game design' on your CV just screams 'manchild who didnt grow up'.
I am a manchild obviously but I didnt want potential employers to know that up front.

The thing is, with games design its unavoidable that it will be a low quality generalised degree with horrible teachers who are only doing it because they cant find anything better.
You will have the shittest computer science teacher who couldnt get a real job in computer science. The shittest music teacher who couldnt get a job doing proper music. The shittest artist who doesnt have the talent to succeed in art…. etc etc
If you want to code then do computer science or software engineering. If you want to make music do music. If you want to do marketting on social media kill yourself.

Im 38 now. Ive had a reasonably successful career in firmware programming.
Ive been thinking of making a game or two based on some ideas ive been processing in my head for a couple of decades.
I look at Unity and it seems like a piece of piss compared to how difficult things used to be.

Many games are a marxists wet dream.
You get to play some authoritarian leader where expendable pawns do your bidding without question.

what about taking a programming course

Are you literate and have a highschool level of math understanding?

yes

It's Ctrl+Left.

You can program. Pick up some tools, grab a few pdfs of language translation online.

Well "alt-right" is also a retarded name, doesn't stop kikes from using it.

It's because game design courses don't involve any study of well-made games, they just talk theory.
It's like an auto shop class where you only read manuals, or an art class where you never see another painting.

C++ is still common in CS courses.

C# maybe better than Java, but it is still not the ideal choice.

Because making games isn't about knowing how to program, it's about

Anyone can learn enough programming to make a game in a very short time, but learning how to actually make a good game takes a very long time and training.
I've seen some of the game projects created by people that were studying programming, and I'm talking very talented people that clearly knew their way around code.

Most of what was presented was absolute fucking trash. Bland ideas, ripoffs, shit you would find in shitty flash games in 2001, absolutely no effort whatsoever.
And that's because they're strictly programmers.

There's a very interesting read by the dude that's making the Godot engine here
godotengine.org/article/how-actually-make-your-dream-game

Talks a lot about how before starting anything you should actually have something interesting and different to work on and how important it is to refine mechanics to an autistic degree

I think it's because studying game dev in a college requires you go to a college, and while game development/programming is usually a track of the computer science degree, game design is handled by the liberal or creative arts department, which is the problem.

compsci is just the a+ cert in class form. what a waste

As someone who was "forced" to go get a job or go to Uni. "But I don't want to go to Uni." Look, I'll pay your student debt. "Fuck it, might as well pick something that could be interesting." Oops I redecorated the house- no money left! I can confirm this is 100% true.

The psychology of wanting to make games is grim as well.
You can work in other fields, earn more money, easier, and with less stress.
Write music for TV or Adverts.
Make a computer program or fix other companies tech problems.
Even write a story if you can endure the jew-ery and don't mind fishing for work for a while.
If you draw well, shit. Best of luck to you.

You don't get "crunch time" or a lot less, less executive meddling (your results may vary), and paid more.

And after all that you're still interested- go indie or work for a smaller company.
Indie means you need a real job to pay the bills. And good luck if a 5 year project is dead on arrival.
Working for smaller companies is fine- but don't move up to AAA. They want to sell as wide as possible. You do as your told- don't put in shit the dumbest of the dumb won't get. You're not making a game, you're making a "product"- a glorified Bop It toy that gives out false praise.

And if you want to enjoy your hard work- assuming you build a vidya empire with successful games- you want to start at 18- if not earlier. Otherwise, each title worth a damn takes 5 years. So 18, 23, 28, 33, 38- now your body isn't as good as it used to be- 43, 48, 53, 58- and now you're retired. Assuming you didn't retire earlier from stress AND you made enough to live off of. So you only ever really work on 7 or 8 games in your whole life- not including smaller "apps" or what you make as practice/learning. You need to be passionate, and to not care you'll have lower income than most. But if you were passionate about it, you'd have wondered how games worked and already have looked into it.
You can "learn" passion- trying something until you enjoy it- but it doesn't always work and it'll take more of those precious years.

If anything, I'd argue more people should become vidya publishers.
We need more good publishers who won't interfere, won't sell to the wrong audience, and has the backbone to protect/support devs who get attacked by SJW.

No such thing from Uni with that course.
The job market is so over-saturated, devs can't even hire from it. They've got a group where 80%+ of people not only have never worked on a game (and never made anything after they left Uni), but who don't have prior employment or were dumb enough to pay god-knows-what for something they could have gotten FOR FREE online.
The remaining 20% have actually had experience, and that's all they ever look at.
They'll go to give the odd presentation (they get a kickback, and the Uni can claim they have connections) but they won't waste time telling anything to the mouth-breathers that they won't get. So just more positive messages and such. Fun fact, a guy from Ninja Theory came to ours. This was just after DMC's reveal trailer, and as he read out the names of the games they worked on, he winced/braced after DMC and got boo'd. Playfully of course. But still, this is a place of education, hiring Ninja Theory to talk to students.

Networking works sure. With professionals. Professionals. People who work in the industry.
They will never, ever, ever, ever hire someone from a convention who's just a guest. They're no different from the other 30 schmucks, and they have plenty of applications to sort through already.
Unless you have made something- you are no different than someone who does not know how to make a game. No matter how much you bluster and blubber about your diploma, or your project, or your essay, or whatever is a "work in progress".

Read up on how Disney designs their theme parks.
BAM- you now know how to lure players into specific areas and encourage them to go down specific paths first in a 3D environment beyond using trails of pick-ups.

Play a game and analyze it. Imagine it was stripped back to wire-frames and blocks- is it still fun? Why is it fun? What is good about the games mechanics & controls that make it fun? What happens if you changed one of those elements? Would it still be fun?
BAM- you now know how to break down the design theory in a particular game. Now do that to other games. BAM- you now know what does and does not work for your tastes. Do it to bad games- you now know why it's a bad game. Focus on a genre- you now know why that fans of that genre like it.

I have now taught you everything I learned from "Game design" courses. Sure there are fancy names for stuff you already know (why you go toward the tower in the distance rather than the cave off to the side), but that doesn't matter.

Instead of thinking "this is fun"- analyze why it's fun. Instead of thinking "lets go over there"- analyze what info you have to think that's a good idea.

Fucking hell- even the Megaman X analysis by Egoraptor goes into more depth than anything you'll get at a University.

You need to combine an analytic mind with programming skill.
Can't do the former? Become a programmer in general- you get more money.
Can't do the latter? Become a game's reviewer- and if you know your shit people will listen, but you'll earn dog-shit.
Can't do either? Become a shitty reviewer- pray you get bribes and sex from ugly female devs, because you'll earn shit and no one decent will care.

Depends on the university and you're career path. If you're just trying to be a software engineer then probably but if you're trying to work with r&d or theory and you can get into a good school, compsci/comp engi is probably worth it.

That's why they study game design. If they had any fucking clue how to vidya then they wouldn't have to study how to vidya.

I think he means more the people that would to choose to study via a university or something probably won't have the right attitude to make decent vidya.

I need info spoon-fed to me Vs. I need to find out how this works myself.

All good advice and I would just add that working for most large companies is shit because there is always going to be someone above you who will take credit for your work. Some people are really skilled at doing that and build a career out of it.

You could work your ass off for years and lose out on a position to some retard because they have played golf with the CEO. The modern version of this is that you would lose out to some retard because they help fill the diversity quota.

Large companies dont need to be a meritocracy and they rarely are.

Same way any successful business gets started.

Entertainment/art and businesses have a lot in common, it's hard to get off the ground and get started with your personal investments due to the high statistical risk of failure, hence why you don't see a lot of people motivated to start businesses, but given that you do succeed and strike a chord with the populace you can rapidly expand and become a top dog.

And to add to this,

- Make friends with HR. HR has everyone's bollocks in their hands. Any issues you come across (people trying to take your glory or not fulfilling their end), keep your cool and ask if you can discuss it with [Hr's first name] in HR. Don't overplay it or you are no better than the office snitch.
Of course, if HR is an SJW bulldyke- RUN. The company is doomed to get worse as she hires her friends anyhow.

There was a whole guide I saw on Imgur but I can't find it again. Other than that, work out how to do a task as easily as possible but don't tell anyone how you did it, make friends, and demand your due (thanks to HR clique).

Not him, but do you have any good resources for that? Google just led me to a bunch of sites jerking over the parks, rather than talking about what makes them good.

Pajeets are some of the best programmers.
When it comes to actual software, not video games.

SCHOOL CANNOT TEACH CREATIVITY IT CAN ONLY TEACH YOU WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE

SCHOOLS ARE LARGELY INCOMPETENT IN TEACHING OBJECTIVE HARD SCIENCES SO WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THEY CAN TEACH ANYTHING SUBJECTIVE??

GAME DESIGN DEGREES ARE A SCAM TO MILK MONEY FROM THE SAME TYPE OF KIDS WHO THINK GOING TO SCHOOL FOR WRITING WILL MAKE THEM A WRITER AND NOT A SPELL CHECKER AT BEST

THE MAJORITY OF KIDS WHO GO INTO GAME DESIGN ARE REDDIT TIER MORONS WHO ARGUE ABOUT SEMANTICS THE REST ARE "GAMES ARE ART" FEMINISTS

Is going to school for graphic design a waste of time?

A waste of time, probably not. A waste of money? More than you could ever believe.

One of the best perks of being an artist is that literally nobody gives a shit about your resume and whether or not you went to college. Literally all that matters is your portfolio and your raw talent. All you need to do is draw/practice everyday at home and you will get good no matter what. Talent is just how many hours of practice you've had. I've personally worked as a freelance graphic artist on commercial games and I'm a high school dropout. If I can do it then you can too.

I actually agree with this. I've been wanting to set up a pro bono marketing operation for any amateur devs who got intentions of releasing something, just to give them more exposure.

There's quite a few promising amateur devs who go unnoticed who could use some more public awareness.

Itch.io and gamejolt, e. g., already serve as prime self-publishing platforms.

Holla Forums often overlooks itch.io and gamejolt freeware, which sucks because there's a few gems buried in with the rubbish.

Give me some links to the gems.

By making idea of Hegelian dialectic watered down for the sake of conflict in which neither side accomplish understanding which is perfect for braindead retards on reddit.

alt-leftist detected, hurts you even more than cuck, don't it?
alt-left cuck

I haven't looked at Gamejolt in years.

Why must you tease me like this?

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.

Being taught by incompetents yields no benefit.

Way to broad a statement to be applied in most situations. Works here I guess.

A poor artist blames their tools. C# is fine for making vidya, it's not like someone who knows C# should abandon the language to learn something else to code games in.

What a faggot. I wonder how many anons you wish you could pour piss on, pathetic faggot.
>>>Holla Forums

It depends on what you're making and how you write it. For example, Unity's developers are rewriting parts of the rendering pipeline in C# to give game devs more control, and apparently the parts they've rewritten are significantly faster than the original C++.

A recent game some are talking about currently is Yo! Noid II: Enter the void.

It was made during a one month game jam:

dustinbragg.itch.io/yo-noid-was-ahead-of-its-time

So these idiots used a Domino's character in their video game?
I'm surprised they haven't been shut down yet.

Let's not forget they are prioritizing women to get in the game industry. They take what they can find regardless of qualifications.

Literally taking whatever they can find the less capable and white it is.

Never cheked those amateur game dev threads..

So.. What tools can one use to make games?

Is MonoGame any good?

Pleb

Go back to the commie board please
You are cancer

They praise Satan until the game makes itself

get over gabdrop already

Actually, the Noid was used in a recent commercial and was the inspiration for the Noid's character in the game as a more carefree individual.

Fuck you i need more Satania

It's basically a less shit art degree. Just majestic sure you go to community college instead because art school is stupidly expensive. Learning Adobe everything is incredibly important and learning how to draw is just as if not more important; shit libtards can make any pleasing package design if they aim for minimalism, but actually being able to make a thumbnail on the fly in front of your boss or customer and illustrated work takes actual effort and thus more valuable. you can also profit massively off of furry autists with loads of NEET bucks if you're that desperate

You're not completely wrong - the left politicizes everything it touches until we need romance options to suck feminine cock. The majority of Jews are embracing leftism.

RPG Maker

Actual Jew here, I don't see very many doing that but a lot left my community around college age so you may be correct.

Oh, shit… I guess I will just stick with the games then.