Not having a birthday party for the greatest FPS ever made

Other urls found in this thread:

quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_50final.html
quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_sepulcher.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I still haven't ever played it.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a stone cold classic, but it was a massive step backwards in weapon mechanics from Doom.

What

Doom's weapons were designed for a solely 2D perspective. The majority of enemies followed into just a few archetypes

now your weapons were mostly just

1. your pistol. Basically useless. Only used if you ran out of ammo before finding the chaingun

2. The shotgun, you used this 90% of the time til you'd find the super shotgun

3. The chaingun used in crowds but still not as practical as the shotgun. I know players that never used this gun

4. RPG. Really useful but overkill for most of the enemies in the game

5. Plasma gun. Is a bit too similar to the chaingun and consumes cells that the BFG uses

6. BFG: too useful for it's own good. I only used this on bosses and custom maps that put too many enemies in the map

7. Super shotgun: basically what you used for 99% of the game once you got it

8. Chainsaw: more of a novelty, never used on harder maps or harder difficulties due to berserk packs

Now lets compare enemy design in Quake

Enemies in Quake range from all over. It's very hard to describe enemies in Quake without breaking down every single one because they're all different and they're all different than Doom's.

1. Rifle guys: Basic port from Doom, very simple enemies that only really appear in the first map of every episode

2. Dogs: Basic port from Wolfenstein 3D. Only appear in the first map of every episode

3. Ogre: The Ogre is the biggest difference between Quake and Doom and one of the biggest things people misunderstand about Quake. The game was a true 3D fps in every sense of the word. The Ogre shoots a grenade at you, and if you get close to him he tries to hit you with his chainsaw. You have to duck and weave with his attacks and adapt to the map design as opposed to just killing him with the super shotgun in a single hit like you would in Doom. The Ogre is what makes the game very dynamic and truly takes advantage of being a 3D FPS as opposed to just taking place solely on a 2D plane like in Doom.

4. Knight: Not much to say here other than being a medieval version of the rifle guys. He just runs up to you and hits you.

5. Scrag/magicians: flying enemies that shoot projectiles at you. Much more fun to fight compared to the Lost Souls in Doom

6. Enforcer: Like the Ogre it's an enemy that you must adapt to. He has a very strong melee attack, lots of health and a projectile that fires in a burst

7. Fiend: An enemy that wouldn't be capable in Doom outside of a source port. It's an enemy that jumps at you. You have to adapt to the map design and avoid his jump but also not get close to him. (notice a pattern here, enemies in Quake have multiple attacks)

8. Vore: Enemy that's a lot like the revenant in Quake only much smarter and more dangerous. The revenant just has a homing rocket that's easy to outrun and dodge. The Vore's projectiles snake around corners and legitimately make you run in the other direction when fighting it. Very hard to actually fight

9. Shambler: One of the hardest enemies in the game. Enemy fires lighting at you upon direct line of sight and melees you. Enormous amount of health and takes less damage to rockets.

now let's compare weapons in Quake

single shotgun: really useful for long range attacks before you acquire the super nailgun. Still useful later in the game to hit switches

Super shotgun. Really useful throughout singleplayer. In multiplayer not so useful but a step up from single shotty

Nailgun: A simple machine gun that fires two projectiles that is good at cleaning up enemies without going through your entire ammunition supply like the Super Nailgun

Super Nailgun: overly satisfying weapon that fires very fast projectiles. Because of it's projectile nature it's like the best of both worlds between the chaingun and the plasma rifle.

Grenade Launcher: one of the best weapons in the game with enormous strategy to its use, especially in MP. Takes true advantage of the 3D axis

Rocket Launcher: the weapon that invented the rocket jump along with being an overly satisfying weapon. It's also much more of a utility compared to Doom's which would usually kill you if you used it too close to an enemy

Lightning Gun: strongest weapon in the game, you would consume enormous amounts of ammo but could kill basically anything. Much more skill based weapon compared to the BFG's just "kill everything infront of you" role.

The weapons in Quake were great, there's no strictly useless weapons apart from the axe. The only time I hear people complain about them are from people who haven't actually beaten the original game and actually experienced it. In Doom it's rare you switch that much from weapons. In Quake almost every enemy you encounter necessitates a weapon switch, usually multiple in regard to enemies like the Vore and the Shambler. It's a game where you have to adapt to your enemies and map design.

Mistook the Enforcer for the Death Knight. Sorry about that

I've only ever really used it up close and consider it more of a melee weapon than a firearm.

You really don't know much about Doom, do you?
You know how I know you never played above Baby Difficulty? This is how I know. The vast majority of mobs you encounter in Doom are handled largely with one or two shotgun shells, and at Ultra-Violence difficulty that shit gets increasingly scarce. The Super Shotgun consumes way too much ammo, way too quickly, and is a massive waste of damage potential when used on anything less than a Pinkie.
Except it's not hitscan, has a much higher ROF, does more damage per shot and has fucking splash damage, making it excellent for quickly mopping up a room full of chumps while using less ammo than a BFG shot.

Also, learn to fucking format before trying to fit in here, faggot.

I've completed Doom multiple times on most of the difficulties and I literally never switched from the super shotgun upon using it. It's a gun that breaks the flow of the game and the only reason people like it is because it makes the game slightly easier. It's the same reason why people like the metal blade in Megaman 2 because it just kills everything

It's a rapid fire gun that while it does fire projectiles only really matters in multiplayer, outside of that there's no real really fast moving enemies in Doom that actually dodge your attacks like you would find in Quake.

Also, learn to fucking format before trying to fit in here, faggot.

It's not Unreal Tournament's birthday,

loltldr

The Plasma Rifle is literally just a Chaingun which deals more damage, people only whip it out if they need to do just that–deal more damage

What neither of you have touched on is the plasmagun is for pussies. The super nailgun outranks it and I don't care any farther than that.

I now want to Play Quake again

Nice non-arguments you retard. At least try to post a smug anime face next time.

You mean this one.

I still prefer UT99. UT99's retro enough that it has that surreal/abstract/"HOLY SHIT IT'S 3D!" style. UT2004 is into that awkward cusp where it wants to be photorealistic but just isn't there.

Technological limitations were a real boon to Western developers, IMHO. Forced them to be artistically creative instead of just going for muh meathead brown/grey realism.

Remember to not actually replay Quake and to play Arcane Dimensions instead, it's the best FPS levels.

UT2k4 is just UT99 with more gameplay modes dude.
Like tanks and hovercraft and shit.
And MMMMISTER CROOOWWW

I've went through Doom 2 and Final Doom on UV difficulty and rarely ever used the default shotgun unless I wanted to take out chaingunners or imps one at a time. That's the only use the basic shotgun has once you get the super shotgun and the scenario is rare enough that it's basically never used for a lot of the levels. The horde mode nature of the game means that you'll be taking on large clusters of enemies which means that you're not going to be wasting ammo on your SSG unless you -try- to be wasteful.

I played a lot of UT2k4 and like it. I just prefer 99 because I like its clean simplicity more than the extra stuff in 2k4.
I especially like empty, flat, clean, boxy, vast low-poly 3D environments where you can't get caught up or trip on anything. I could barely stand Half-Life 2 because of how much you get snagged and trip on all the bullshit in the environment.

One day an e-celeb will say Quake 1 was great and you'll agree, just like you faggots did with Doom.
I'm old enough to have played these at release, and Quake 1 was fucking revolutionary in every way and we loved it. It was way bigger than Doom ever was, especially the modding & mapping community.

To anyone who hasn't played Quake, play E1-M4 of the original SP, then maybe play Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity. They're not really mandatory as they each have some nice maps but aren't really so good that you HAVE to play them.

Then (this also goes to anyone who hasn't played this) play Arcane Dimensions, this is the tits of fan-made Quake content, the maps are jawdropping both in scale and attention to detail, with some taking 30-60 minutes to clear depending on how you play, maybe even more if you really want to find the secrets. It also adds loads of new enemy types, some of which are borrowed from some older mods like Quoth. This adds a lot of variety to combat, there are enemies that spawn smaller enemies that you have to deal with fast, Hell Knights on crack who can single handedly ruin your day if you fuck up, teleporting wizards that spawn a Quake version of Lost Souls, and tons of other shit. some maps feature boss fights which I wont spoil but they're pretty well done, and more satisfying than most FPS bosses I've fought.

It also adds an upgraded version of the Axe which is less useless and can gib downed zombies, a triple barreled shotgun which is similar to the double barrel from Doom in that it's your go-to for a lot of stuff, but also eats ammo like no tomorrow. Lastly it adds a second weapon that uses batteries as ammo, it's a plasma gun and is basically a Rocket Launcher lite, it has good splash damage and is more usable at mid range, with a much higher fire rate. You don't find it that often but I really love using it.

quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_50final.html
quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_sepulcher.html

After that if you want more stuff to do in Quake dig around on Quaddicted.com, there are a lot of good community maps.

I also suggest you put "gl_texturemode 1" and "r_particles 2" in id1/autoexec.cfg, these get rid of texture smoothing and circular particles respectively which looks a lot better.

Man I remember when Quake 1 came out, my mates and I had a gigantic lan party. Great times.

Was it? I never played Quack at launch, I played it at the end of 2015, and it was easily Id's best game, it's only problem was that it never got a proper sequel, instead we ended up with Quake 2 and it's Stroggos goy bullshit.

Quake 2 was the "mods fixed it" game. It had a lot of popular MP mods after a rocky start, especially since the modding was much more capable than Q1 and could do client-side prediction of modded items (if you ever saw the sad state of grappling hooks in Q1 you'll understand), and was a lot of fun with the railgun and Lithium.

My main complaint about Quake 2 is that Quake 1's atmosphere was unique and Iconic, so for the sequel we went to generic space marines vs generic space machines, I just want that actual Quake sequel.

I'm sad it went this way too, it was obscured since Quake's plot (or lack thereof) was so minimalistic, but travelling through all of the doomed dimensions that had been overrun by Quake's horde is a pretty unique setting.

Nice video dude but you sound like you have autism

The plasma and chain serve the same role, to wipe out weak and shit mobs like shotgunners, chaingunners, zombiemen and imps. I always preferred the Chaingun for that role as it did the same thing and was more ammo efficient as there was a lot more ammo for it. If I was in deep, DEEP shit I could just whip out my 600 full ammo stack BFG and wipe the map.
Most of the time I just used the super shotty and it was the only weapon I ever really ran out of ammo with, but even then I just switched to my chaingun and found a big box of shotgun shells and was back in action.

I played some quack live today. I had fun.

I don't think you guys realize just how much of an influence that Quake had on the FPS genre. Even today, it serves as an ancestor to a good amount of engines.

Quake Live is a bastardization of the multiplayer that the originals provided.

It's Doom II's birthday today?

it's just quack 3 arena with a bit of fluff added here and there

what kind of a shitty gatekeeping faggot are you? this kid played quake and had fun. quake live is not far at all from the original Q3A and I know, I was in highschool when the original Quake came out, I layed QuakeWorld on a shitty 400ms dialup connection, I know all about it. there's nothing wrong with quake live. fuck you and your elitist nostalgiafag attitude. eat shit.

I played 2 hours of Reflex Arena, if that counts.
please play with me its getting lonely

Just because it's the first one doesn't mean it's the best.

HEY ALL YOU FAGGOTS
Stop kicking and screaming about Doom and Unreal Tournament and give Quake the respect it deserves on it's goddamn birthday. You can go back to shit-flinging tomorrow.

Also it feels like it turned 20 only yesterday. I gotta get it a drink. Gonna spend all night playing Quake with my buds whether they like it or not.

Can you looks like a cool samurai without paying for microtransactions?

With enough time and luck, sure. Drops are random and you get them for free, no crates or anything like that.
Samurais are gay though, I prefer a war hammer and a kangaroo head.

t.Gaming journalist

but that's 10 bucks, are you playing on scullywag servers? if it's piratable, why not otherwise, sorry senpai

I might get in during the next sale. I'm procrastinating super hard right now and have no money.

truly a master plan

There are no pirated servers that I know of. 10 bucks is pretty fair for the game. A lot of the current community is pretty medium to high skilled so unless you already have skill in AFPS you might hate it. The only thing I am concerned about is the updates come out pretty randomly and there hasn't been any since late April.

pro tip formatting your posts like ass makes less people read it not more

is there any reason to buy it rather than stick to quake live? I got quake years ago when it was still free and got to keep it even when they gave it the 10 dollar price tag, if reflex is just a clone with different graphics I don't see the appeal especially when xonotic is there and it's also free

It's based off of Quake 3 CPMA which means the movement is different as a result, the netcode is legendary, the game is still being updated more often than Quake Live. Xonotic is wildly different with things like altfires and completely different weapons. Reflex Arena is "pure" when it comes to AFPS. When it comes to Quake Live: it depends. Are you willing to spend 10€ on a game that gets 40 players max and happen to be in EU? If so, go for it. I've spent 55 hours in the game and intend to keep going. I've skilled a lot from when I first joined and I really love the community, if you start talking everyone goes along. A single kill in the game is a lot more satisfying than in any other game due to the punchy sound effects and the smoothness of it all. Quake Live is also shit and should be killed off. Shittiest AFPS of them all if you ask me.

Any recommendations for source ports of Quake 1 & 2?

I don't think so, OP.

Q3A is almost a completely different game from Q1 and doesn't make sense to talk about on Q1's bday.

Unreal is better and had a bigger influence on gaming

Unreal is shit.

whoa, ok dude

I'm sorry, how many games use the quake engine today?

First-person shooters are shit.

How many games made on Unreal 3 are actually any fucking good?

Holy shit you Quakefags somehow have gotten more retarded since the 90s

I'm working on one.

It's not. Making a game engine isn't making a game. Unreal 4 was meant just for other games, not for their games. Epic hardly makes games anymore.

The current version is Unreal 4 and very little. Most of it is indie shit. Cliffy "My shirt does not say cuck" Blesinzky's recent abomination uses it.

Lol no it wasn't. Especially not with mod/mapping community, which as we know still does some shit for Doom. Only "new" thing about it was full 3d gimmick. Which wasn't really that new. Press was cumming all over itself over that shit. Game itself was pretty boring and thanks for full-3d very ugly. It didn't even pretend there was any kind of story or even lore. Just shoot a bunch of dogs, swordsmen, fat people with lighting and grenade-launching dudes. Entertain yourself with speedruns and whatsnot.
Duke3d released around same time, which was pure fun comparing to this.

Multiplayer however got a lot better in 3d, unfortunately they did not bother to alter these designed-for-SP weapons for it until Quake3 but UT was also released by then, which did it all better (which didn't make it more popular).
Quake was probably first game with revolutionary budget pumped in marketing though.They gave a ferrari for 1st place in some quake competition. thats where e-sport probably took off.

lol yes it was. Doom just picked up again in the last few years because of Brutal Doom and youtoobers. Quake 1 eclipsed Doom's community very quickly because of the multiplayer and there was an incredible burst of modding and mapping like we'd never seen before. QuakeC was revolutionary and we did have a revolution. I'm not just reciting some e-celeb's version of events, I was fucking there. I was even ranked on the Doom internet ladder which seems to have been forgotten to time as the community was much smaller back then.

Oh so you're just shitposting. Nvm then.
Not bloody likely, kid.

ezquake (nquake) for q1/qw

I'm goddamned disapointed in you motherfuckers. Today was Quake's birthday and all you faggots did was shitpost. Well anyway, I just got back from LAN. Was fucking great. Quake will forever be in my heart as one of the most influential games of my life. I've built the best bro tier relationships over this game and it's forever in my debt.

I played Duke Nukem 3d all day.

Sounds like you're just unbelievably bad at video games, I'm pretty sure no one else in history has had this issue. I don't even understand what the fuck you're talking about, no game has ever had this issue.

That's a weird embed for Duke Nukem 3D

Quake Modding was a big deal in the day. Team Fortress, for one.

I always liked Threewave's CTF mod, or Clan Arena. Something about the CTF grapple hook and runes inside Quake's physics engine just made for great fun.

You're a little late user.

Nigger it had bouncing projectiles and rocket jumping.

Don't remind me of what it became.

Christopher interesting on your hey what's up hello you put in headphones or something yeah what's up yeah I can hear you can you hear me unstoppable it does yeah I see him wow it is extremely useful especially you know what that would be most useful for for sure is when they're all posted up on the flag you can't unroot him and there's just too many of them have you point out when I'm all out that would help extremely s* I'm cleaning these guys up right here f** this guy little wiggle worm some pick me up though wow yeah but you know the best thing that I've been doing lately so when the game starts to see which team has the most one tens on it and I just wish that team with I went like every single time a certain result plus I have all that they all do the same thing I noticed they all do the same thing so I'm going to do with him then you just fight a team full of get them all up so easy squad wipe kills hey there's your mic working let's move on C okay well hello and I'm just saying I'm moving on see if you would spot to the said area at appreciate it you kidding me f** doesn't matter for the best Squad right into him out it's no big deal sniper down there he's already okay i'm moving on to f or Freddy attack is still there though and he's just been camping this whole time oh wow is this way oh my God I just sniper in the top window of that windmill just sitting up there f* we can like take back come on unbelievable what the fuc and where they are lumbee brothel to my ears that literally said B Delta that's why they used to natx I guess we can move to Delta next sM felipe got them we got D2 probably need to go let's see where we go now where do we go from here where edward okay how much cost i'll come on oh my God what the f* what me what about trees I think it's all these vehicles that they have I just got to kills blown up a wall oh my God i'm so sick where are you I wonder if that's call my God is think this 20 damage to heavy tanks speaking of I just took out one of the tanks that's convenient wow only cable it's 220 game after hit to thanks what the fuc come on try again boy turnagain boy oh hell yeah got this s* on lock yo I just I just snapped a guy out of the f** bahena I got two people snapped out of the Behemoth with the tank of air shake movie passes through the metal or something I got three people out of the Takeover so far the sky one shot of me with a rocket and gun I didn't even know that was possible oh you have to do every every single weapon in this game is real well you can't carry it around you have to go prom with it that's at the point where you need to be more Gainey instead of more realistic sure if you hook the rocket go that far but hello I got a that's fine and how's your nasher performance yeah why is check we should be on the winning team so we're safe to stay let's hit e and then head to be bravo will hit Edward and then hit Bravo we're actually Delta first cuz it looks like nobody else is going there I thought somebody would have kept Delta by now yeah problem case quad head Bravo ashley got some snipers up in the balcony going to go to Fantasy when did you defend Charlie what the fuc house close move on Delta go down like usual guy killed me quarter second before I kept edward oh s* no s* god damn how they almost got me but I got some guy Stead but I do hate is how people use those Rock against a sniper rifles that's f** stupid going to be so I can be or make it over here so we can advance on Alpha actually hold behold grovel grovel canada ships going to be a problem amber the f* are they what would be shot from all directions literally all directions some guy got you with the shotgun just one guy keeps hiding and going back defend Charlie make sure they don't come in with the balloon to my call at the balloon which some ass wipe f* you you little f** a** god damn little can't you just waiting for me to get back on the gun and I feel like I'm the only one attacking this blimp I think I am nice with the Russian Cavalry huh I know I'm taking care of just to try and shoot a lamp instead of attacking a f** blamp how is blowing my f** phone up right that's move into Delta from the southwest go over the hill I were not even at 700 points yet it's weird skin feels like it's been going on forever waiting on and there's a there's tank coming retreat got you retreat didn't believe me they're coming back once again nobody wants to get flags on this f** team here we need to take we need to take Charlie

>not realizing that quake turned 20, —LAST—YEAR—
>not realizing that quake is 21
>not realizing that quake turned 21, 2 fucking months ago
>not realizing that today is not even quakes birthday and that quakes 21st birthday was 2 months ago

Remove your self from the premises of this website you fucking pathetic poser.

What did he mean by this?

Video games are shit. You can't have fun playing video games.

Quake is the most overrated classic FPS ever made.

Take a guess how I know the only Doom you've played is NuDoom.

Doomworld post from 1999 using the term pinkie. Go be a tremendous gatekeeping cocksucker somewhere else.

Feels bad man.

Not shown in pic: the Source branch of the tree and the origin of Team Fortress
Further reminder that UT exists because Quake paved the way forward (and UT still doesn't measure up)

Also John Carmack made sure source code was given out instead of being an IP whore. Meanwhile UE4 is Tencent shit and Epic works on paid mods storefronts and p2win trash

Are you cunts NA or EU? I have the game (most of my time is spent in the editor) but I dont wanna play on 200ping. European players generally have the bigger scene anyway so you should be able to find matches if that's the case

Gone home is the dark souls of FPS

reminder that q3a was the only good thing to come out of quake.

How can someone have taste this shit

What was the point of this thread?

Are you NA or EU?
I have Reflex, Xonotic and Q3CPM. There are NA servers for all 3

quake 3 was the most casual garbage ever made

This is code for "all the difficulties except the ones that are actually challenging"

If you'd ever actually played Doom on ultraviolence or nightmare you wouldn't be saying you never switched away from supershotty, there's simply not enough shotgun ammo available. It is literally impossible to do that without cheating unless you play pacifist, which would be an entirely different reason for you being a humongous faggot.

On UV sure but on Nightmare you can't kill everything anyway so you stick to the supershotty often because it's one of the best burst damage weapon that isn't the BFG which is what you want when zooming around trying to clear the way as fast as possible.

UV -fast is the most interesting difficulty anyways.

I like everything about UV -fast except how fast pigs become. Not only do they become a huge pain in the ass in tight quarters if there are more than a few of them, but it makes their walk and attack cycles look ridiculous.

Quakespasm and Yamagi Quake II.

Oh boy I sure busted my balls. I can't tell if you're the poser faggot ID hopping or just a retard.

lel

He still proved you wrong, faggot.

Correct, it's shit and useless. Any wad that tries to force you to use this weapon for more than 30 seconds is SHIT. It's not even hard, it's just boring
Used for sniping and saving ammo against weak mobs. Depending on the map you're in, it's what you've got.
One of the most useful weapon in the game. This is why you don't pay attention to people that say it's shit or never used it.
Used for sniping (the first two shots are always precise), can stunlock Revenants, Mancubuses, Cacodemons, pinkies, imps, lost souls, pain elementals and former humans. Good against group of enemies, stunlocking something just to get past it, stunlocking an enemy to use it as a shield, etc.
Correct. But it's just a waste against everything below a pinky (when not in great numbers).
A better chaingun, but expensive. Best weapon against lone archviles, really good DPS that only loses to the BFG.
Correct. Very useful for quickly clearing rooms if you're speedrunning.
People only abuse it because most of the original maps give ammo for it for free, most wads are really stingy with shotgun ammo. But yeah, it's one of the best weapons. It still won't save you against distant monsters or an archvile in an open space.
Most of what I've said about the chaingun applies here, except mancubuses. Berserk fist is superior in most cases (and fun against knights/barons), but try and kill a cacodemon or a pack of imps with beserk fist and you'll see how safer the chainsaw is due to its stunlock and ability to rotate around the stunned enemy.

I haven't played quake that much, but you certainly haven't played doom that much since you don't know shit about it, so fuck you here's my quake opinion:
The weapons do too little damage / the monsters have too much hp. This makes encounters too slow if you're trying to kill everything, which isn't the case in doom. And that fact, together with the fact that you walk slower in quake, makes me hate the game. Fuck your rocketjumping, I want to go fast without losing hp/armor.

Bunnyhop. Quake is much faster than Doom
Enemies don't take that many shots either unless you're trying to use rockets on shamblers or something.

you mean it was fun unlike most of the other shit in its family tree

He just wants more freedom of movement in Half-Life, what's so strange about that

only possible to have fun because mods fixed it

What a fucking idiot

I just love how stylistically ugly Quake is. It's intentionally ugly without being outright disgusting.

I want a source port that can manage both Quake and the relevant Mission Packs, is that around?

quakespasm

Descent II is better

VQ3 is trash
Community involvement is what fixed Quake 3 and turned it into actual playable shit like CPM/OSP while adding in good maps. If you genuinely like Q3a out of the box you're maximum pleb

What does age have to do with it, faggot?

Thanks. Are these scorpion things supposed to be twitching around so unsettlingly in the mission pack?

u wot

UT99 is just so much better anyway.

I play d2x but yeah nothing to really say about it.