Games that feel great with a controller

So I picked up a new Xbone controller from the pawn shop the other day after my last few 360's went to shit after trying to fix them. I got a few alternatives in case I start to dislike it but so far I'm putting up with some of its faults. My question is though what are some games that make you glad you're using a controller and make you feel good for using one? I guess a better question to ask is what games make full use out of a controller that don't just rely on pushing a few buttons 90% of the time. As much as I enjoy M+KB I want to play some fun games where I don't have to spend 15 minutes mapping out my autistic preferences before I feel comfortable. I run a toaster so I can't play much. Don't let that stop you from mentioning some games that you had a lot of fun playing with a controller though.

Super Mario 64

all other games are inferior

What's second best?

First player games that don't involve context menus

Emulators

Casual online shooters like TF2 unless you play Sniper

Shit am I really that out of luck? All I play are emulators recently. I pretty much have every worth while game for the N64. The last game I felt a decent amount of satisfaction for any other emulated console was Klonoa for PS1. Before that was Spyro.

How shit is your computer?
Have you tried newer emulators like Dolphin or even CEMU?

I can run DaS1 at 20fps with all the unofficial patches and mods to improve performance. I run Core I3 because it's my work computer. My last desktop got fried and I'm saving for a new one. So CEMU's probably out unfortunately. I don't want this to turn into a begging/request thread, if you know good games that are fun with a gamepad despite my terrible rig feel free to mention them, when I have enough for a new PC I can always play them then

Twin-Stick shooters are where it's at, OP. Smash TV, Robotron 2084, and Total Carnage are toaster and controller friendly.
If you ever upgrade and are a fan of the genre, check out Nex Machina.

Can't believe I forgot about that. I even have it in my backlist. Twin Stick shooters in general are probably where I should be putting some focus in. I guess I'll put those games on my list then. Many thanks.

Games that don't require any sort of aim or camera movement. 3D games for consoles was a mistake.

Yeah, I've owned a controller almost a decade and I've only played old emulator games with it pretty much. I've been passively trying to find some use for it but every game I'm interested in playing just feels better with a mouse+kb. Even those horrible cover-based TPS console ports with horrible mouse support still feel better with a mouse than with a controller imo. The only game I can come up with that is unplayable on PC without a controller is Dark Souls.

lol

Any game that isn't in first player, point and click or simply require precise aim.
Basically, if you don't need a mouse the controller is better, unless you need lots of keybindings/shortcuts.

Try, Ragnarok Battle Offline, you may have to map the up key to your preferred jump button if you don't want to jump by pressing up like in a fighter.

Twin stick shoters are great with controllers, Binding of Isaac is fun.

Aside from emulation, pretty much any racing game or platformer. You can use Joy2Key or something similar to map joystick buttons to keyboard/mouse controls for games that don't support them. If you want to play 2D games get a controller that doesn't have such a shitty dpad.

You can never go wrong with RE4. That goes for other third-person shooters as well.

Souls series, anything from Platinum, racing games.

Basically any 3d platformer. Also works well for 2d stuff, depending on the quality of the D-pad. I remember trying to play AM2R with a 360 controller and wrestling with the absolute dogshit D-pad. Ended up getting pic related, and it was a thousand times better.

Any game made for a controller is better with a controller. So that means the majority of good games ever made. And you're running a toaster so I assume you're emulating a lot of old shit. Trying to play Mario Kart or Mega Man on a keyboard is shit. That said, the Xbox controller is shit because "who needs a d-pad? All video games are FPS!"

Visual novels are ironically great. Lets you sit back and relax.

Snake Pass
NieR Automata
Most emulated games except for fighting games where i do prefer a hitbox kind of layout on a keyboard (because i can't afford a real hitbox)

GTA games on PC feel a lot better with a controller. At least III, VC and SA.

Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are impossible to play without a controller

Platformers and racing games are the best with a controller, fighting games too, but i don't play them.

Joy2key is terrible, i think steam now supports xbox controllers for their steam controller community features.
So use that, its better.

no, tf2 with a controller requires a ton of practice.

Nigga don't use joy2key, use Xpadder, I think it's paid now but you can easily find a torrent.

FPS aiming could actually work decently using a standard dual analog controller with no tilt sensors needed at all, but devs and players are too attached to the current shitty control scheme mappings to ever try something different but more effective.

Well I wouldn't really say that gives you satisfaction from actually using a controller. Rather it just lets you be a lazy piece of shit.

Driving games

But then again you need a wheel to play real simulators, which only exist on PC

You have to be brain dead to prefer using any type of controller instead of KB+M for FPS.

Most musous and cuhrayzees.
And maybe games that heavily require analog sticks or certain special button positions designed for a controller.

Controller in your left hand, mouse in your right, is the best way to do FPS. WASD is fucking garbage. Always has been and always will be.

Best games are ones that let me switch between KBM and Pad without having to do anything but move hands.

I'd rather have access to over 12 keys in my left hand than try and do shit with a joystick, dpad and 2 shoulder buttons while awkwardly holding a controller with one hand if I'm to play a FPS. Only reason one would want to use a joystick in FPS games is for those based on stealth and even then it's doable more than enough with WASD, even more if there is an extra key to change your movement speed (IE shift).

Must be some way to handle this. Perhaps a speedpad with analog WASD?

Maybe one could get an overpriced MMO mouse with 15+ buttons and map them all while awkwardly using a gamepad in the left hand but why the fuck would someone spend so much to do that?

A keyboard with one of those Steam controller trackpad things underneath the spacebar or on the spacebar itself?

Agreed, I use TFGH instead.

Most of the time even three (two shoulder buttons and pressing the stick like a button) would be enough. If you need to, combos are also available.

I don't see it mentioned on here very often, but hack and slash games with a controller are some of the comfiest games you'll play. unfortunately, they're few and far between on PC. Two titles I know of with gamepad support are Bastion and Victor Vran.

Hack and slash games are just about brainless button mashing, that shit destroys controllers and you can be way faster with a mouse. I even have a second mouse just to play shit like Devil Gay Cry and dont damage my FPS mouse.

You clearly haven't played the games I mentioned, because they both reward you for atacking with good timing instead of mashing the button like a mongoloid.

I played Bastion, its was shit so i didnt bother going very far. I ddint they are all like that but they tend to be either like that or casual shit like Bastion

wew