Try to find a zelda like game on pc

Why do we never see Zelda clones? Is it because they are hard to make?

Other urls found in this thread:

bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszelda.shtml
store.steampowered.com/app/277870/Diehard_Dungeon/
zeldadungeon.net/2012/05/legend-of-zelda-echoes-of-the-future/
indiedb.com/games/hazelnut-bastille
zeldaclassic.com/
purezc.net/forums/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ever tried BInding of Isaac? Also, play Satellaview Zelda if you haven't.

bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszelda.shtml

Because designing puzzles requires using the brain

store.steampowered.com/app/277870/Diehard_Dungeon/

Crusader of Centy and Beyond Oasis for the Genesis are alright.

Yes. The gameplay is easy, the mechanics are really fucking easy. The graphics are just as difficult as any other game.
The actual hard part is the thing that makes the game worth playing: game design. The vast majority of the effort is in making useful items with fun mechanics and making them work organically without breaking it, and in making the world designed in a fun and unique way so that it's fun to explore. That, and making dungeons challenging while still being fun and rewarding.

"Game design" faggots have two major flaws preventing them from making a good Zelda clone:
1: Designing one of these games is a whole lot of work and takes a very large amount of time, even with programming, art, music, sound, mechanics, and everything else aside. The raw design and level design is incredibly fucking time consuming, and ideafags (including all "game design" folks who aren't professionally working in the field) are really goddamn lazy.
2: "Game design" fags are actually really shitty at game design. They can regurgitate everything Extra Credits ever said, but they don't understand how to put any of it to practice (even if they did, Extra Credits is dogshit, and half of what he says is outright lies and the other half is common sense), and they refuse to actually work at developing game design as a useful skill, as this shit takes a lot of practice.

Your average low-grade programmer could replicate the mechanics of almost any NES or SNES game in less than a month with something like LÖVE (it would take an expert at least half a year on actual hardware, however). It's the art and design that are really hard, and that's what faggots constantly ignore. They think "wow, a Zelda clone should be easy to make" without realizing the hardest part to replicate is the part they think the least about, which is depth in gameplay due to good design. They think it's all mechanics and art.

There is a pc version of the old psx, epsxe or mednafen. Use it to play games on from psx on your pc and than take alundra.

user holy shit you go get visualboy advance and oracle of seasons right now or i'm telling your dad.

First Soul Reaver should make you happy. Second one maybe

This

Mostly this.

Look at the games out there. Procedurally generated pixeltrash, arena shooters, generic platformers, simple puzzle games revolving around one or two gimmicks, hack and slash fighting games… none of these require elaborate worlds, just make some neat looking pixel art and slap enemies left and right. Even "metroidvanias" are like that, just fill a whatever level with whatever enemies.

To make a zelda clone, you'd have to actually design dungeons with puzzles and unique items and shit, and place those in an open world among other things.

There's an /agdg/ game that looks similar to 2D zelda, but I'm not sure what the game as a whole is like.

Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigga do a pretty good job.

I'm assuming you've played Okami already. If you haven't, it largely out-Zeldas the 3D Zeldas.

This

darksiders is a pretty decent zelda clone. i really liked it myself

patrician taste

Did you even look?

People say that Hyper Light Drifter is a Zelda clone. It's dungeons are solved via combat instead of puzzles and the pixel art is pretty mediocre. It's not quite 100% pixelshit because sometimes it really works out but a lot of the time it looks like they missed the point.

I hate kids

Is Zelda Classic still a thing? I got a handful of old quests I still need to complete on that thing.

nigga its been dead for like 3 console gens at least.

no nozgoth doesnt count nobody even heard of it.

You're one of those "retro only refers to things that were new when I was a child" retards, aren't you?

dark souls 1 is bastard child of diablo and zelda imho so if you haven't - play it.

Anodyne is apparently pretty good.
There there is also Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King but i didn't try it

Is every good franchise that actually ends, a forgotten gem? Or do we need to have them all on yearly releases, to remember them.

What are you smoking? It's nothing like zelda. It's more like smash tv or robotron except nowhere near as good.

No don't do that. Get mGBA. VBA is redundant.

I'll always remember Wild Arms 3 if nobody does.

secrets of grindea is neat. EA though

Sadly yes, considering how most nu-gamers and even some gamers don't play older games, because of muh graphics, unless they have a remake or sequel, they become forgotten.

They are good games, but they don't have puzzles, or dungeons that revolve around a new gimmicky weapon. On the other hand, I only played the first two and Ark of Napishtim, so if there is one that has those elements, please inform me.

have a freebie

Side-scrolling A-RPG's > top-down A-RPG's

Nintendo itself has failed to make a good zelda game in 20 years. Hilarious how they managed to phase out dungeons in a dungeon game.
Right up there with the genius Metroid designer who was angry players could do things out of order in Prime and went out of his way to make 2 as linear as possible.

There are shit loads of them, what the fuck are you talking about? Go play Brain Lord,
these, Light Crusader for the Sega Genesis, Oracle of Ages and Seasons, Links Awakening, Beyond Oasis for the Sega Genesis, Y's 6? for the Snes. Those are of the top of my head, do some more research and if you want pure autism try Zelda Parallel Worlds/Outlands.

There are quite a few zelda clones on older systems but while I played a bunch I never found one that was really worth your time.

I don't remember Prime 2 being any more linear than 1, but 3 was like a straight fucking line.

In 1 you can jump off your ship at the very beginning to get space jump. They actually released a patched version of the game taking this out; that's right they reprinted game discs to remove this.

Oceanhorn is pretty much Wind Waker on an isometric perspective.

OP, do you have brain damage?

Try Alundra on PSX.

There's this thing. It's just all concept art and shit, but it looks interesting.

zeldadungeon.net/2012/05/legend-of-zelda-echoes-of-the-future/

Neither does Zelda 1.

WTF is this shit.

Similar to "classic Zelda":

Similar to "modern Zelda":

Zeldas and 3D platformers are two shitty genres that only console gamers care about so there aren't many on PC.

Lets see, there are two flash games I can recall off the top of my head that are very Zelda like, the first is called Seedling and the other is Hero's Arms. Then on steam you have Ittle Dew 1 and 2 which are more puzzle based, but still very Zelda like.

this

if there was a 'zelda-like' genre
how would it be defined?

It's either action-adventure (which means basically anything) or action rpg.

Action RPG with puzzles. ez.

Assuming we're talking about 2D zelda games

I think I may have just ended up describing every zelda game instead of answering the question, but I'm pretty sure most of these would be partially true.
Pic somewhat unrelated

Zelda isn't its own genre it is in the genres of action/adventure and MAYBE MAYBE tack on a soft RPG element there.
Although that RPG statement tends to go with how you define RPG. is it as loose as you might have a stat that enhances (hearts in this case) and you are playing the role of link or do RPGs have to have just a plethora of stats leveling up and such?

If an RPG is defined by any game that allows you to get simple health and ammo upgrades, wouldn't that mean that every Metroid game is an RPG?

There are no rpg elements, though.

There's a zelda clone called FreeDink
Available on gentoo's repository

is this why master quest is so absolutely fucking terrible & botched?

Well, that and everyone who actually did the legwork for OOT probably quit the company before MQ was even considered.

That's just because it was mostly lazy copy/paste work with less effort put into it than most fan-made mods.

I'd kill for a secret of mana remake engine

If Tomb Raider is "action adventure" then Zelda can't be. They're not even remotely similar.

Yes.

The name alone sounds gay as fuck. Not even gonna bother.

Your loss, cakeboy.

Ys

Anodyne is a decent zelda clone with the most bizarre postgame ive ever seen.
However, its an indie game with indie devs.
Still decent though

This is pretty good too, was planning on mentioning it.

Also some link to the past romhacks are fun

These are all classic zeldas ripoffs though, i dont know any modern zelda clones. If you havent played it yet, try minish cap, its the best classic zelda

Ys Books 1 & 2, and Wanderers from Ys / Felghana all have sets and/or magics you need for dungeons…

also both Ys 4s

Capped for posterity.

It's removed in the PAL version and player's choice version of the game. Most games get multiple reprints if they sell well (which Prime did), and bug fixes are often applied then. Saying they reprinted the game just to remove the sequence break is disingenuous, and the way you type makes you seem like you don't belong here. I suggest lurking more.

Action-Adventure is a genre that's often used as an all-encompassing blanket term for games that are not solely focused on action (i.e. Tomb Raider's platforming or Zelda's puzzles). If you weren't a fag who's already double-posted twice in this thread (without saging, no less) then you'd probably already know that.

Should have mentioned this in my other post, but whatever.

Hyper Light Drifter, while flawed, is an interesting and action-heavy take on the basics of Zelda and top-down exploration. The combat challenges you to master each enemy type and the combinations thereof, rather than the more methodical 1v1 combat some adventure/action games emphasize. The bosses are neat, but I didn't find many of them very challenging - only the bird monk and the final boss gave me much trouble at all.

The real make-or-break aspect for most people will be the secrets, since many of them are marked by tiny scratches or irregularities on the floor and/or walls. I loved this kind of stuff, since there was always a fair visual cue with an accompanying reward, and after a while my sense for recognizing the pacing of each secret developed keenly. From what I've seen on here, this was not the case with everyone else, and many players felt the game was too frustrating because it encouraged wall-hugging rather than keen observation due to the ultra low-poly visual style.

Obviously, whatever you do, don't buy it since there is at least one insane feminist programmer on the team and Sarkeesian and Quinn are mentioned by name in the special thanks at the end of the credits.

Spiritual Warfare is supposed to be decent. It's from the company that made the Bible games. Look at the comments on the Youtube videos about it. Believe it or not, people speak well of it.
That's what the game's about.

wat

How bad will Darksiders 3 be?

This is unironically better than all Zelda games.

great fucking taste user
have a pepe on me

thanks for reminding me - blood omen: legacy of kain has most classic zelda elements imho
usually o

indiedb.com/games/hazelnut-bastille

I thought darksiders was a hack and slash
also RIP THQ

I'm aware, but RPG is very much a catch-all, and genre definitions change with time.

When Zelda first came out, it was labeled as an Adventure game. (Named after Adventure on the Atari 2600).

The genre got bastardized a bit in the earl 90's. Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Phantasy Star and the like started becoming more mainstream, and Zelda ended up getting lumped into the RPG label.

Adventure by that point was an obscure game, and that genre was overtaken with adventure titles we know now. (Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.)

Sorry for the tangent, not sure where I was going with that. Have some tits as apology.

That's pretty hot!

It is a game that only got a JP release.

Pretty much this, almost everyone can make a decent platformer or metroid game (decent, not great).
Making something like the SNES Zelda, with a huge world, fun artifacts, engaging exploration and interesting dungeons is VERY hard and time consuming.

Oh and the second one is even better

Always preferred StarTropics to LoZ.

Fuck. There was an indie zelda-like game which played like a 2d zelda. You had to get medicine for your sick sister. It was released way back when and it was actually very very good. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me though.

Neutopia is pretty meh, every time I try playing it I just want to play Zelda instead. I guess it's fine if you're stuck with a TurboGrafx 16, it's still better than nothing.

There was something like this in 2 also but I think it only gave you a missile upgrade or maybe whatever that game's equivalent of the artifacts were.

What if I told you someone remade the Zelda engine for PC and expanded it into a "Zelda fangame maker" and there are a hundred billion fanmade Zelda quests you can play?

zeldaclassic.com/
purezc.net/forums/

i would say "huh" and ignore the lot of them, since zelda games are only fun because of their clever level design and i doubt the average deviantart or tumblrina making these could muster anywhere near enough creativity for such an experience

I thought it was 6 million.

95% of them are certainly crap, but since there's so many, I bet at least a dozen are actually pretty good.

No, Metroid is action-adventure.

Read the thread

Don't they have a game coming?

Yes and no, THQ Nordic isn't exactly the same as the old THQ, they do seem to wanna target the same style of games and own a bunch of the old THQ IPs though.