Ataribox: Ouya 2 Electric Boogaloo

archive.is/OiZ67

I already loathe Atari for the absolute worst use of the RCT IP, but this just confuses me. What the hell is this, and who the hell is it supposed to be for?

Atari is not a smart company, seemingly surviving by luck rather then savy. But if I were to guess I'd say it's Atari following in the footsteps of Nintendo with the Mini-NES. Otherwise they're stupid as fuck for thinking any third party will bother with developing for that PoS.

Bonus points for using fake wood paneling on it though.

From what OP posted they seem to be planning to have not only their classic titles, but they are also trying to say that it will have modern specs as well, whatever that means. It will probably just get indie games unless Atari goes completely insane and makes 1st party titles for the thing.

It says they're bringing new games too. It'd be very interesting if they actually develop new games in 2D with the graphics of that era.
Or the new games might end up being chinese rip offs-tier, who knows

They're long dead. Some publisher bought Atari years ago and is using their name because muh brand recognition

Kinda like how EA uses the Origin name for their shitty DRM store

Looks like a re-skinned Intel NUC

That seems pretty small to house the lastest tech.
Still if it has good games and not mobile shit, why not

wut?

At this point I want Sega to make a new console. They own enough companies and IPs to make a dent in the market with exclusives.

interesting to imagine

I have to say I enjoyed the design, actually seems pretty nice (the wood version).

But I agree that Atari usually fucks up. Just remember to not have any hopes, so you don't disappoint yourself.

Hipsters love the logo.

That would be the day.

inb4 atari saves gaming

It's almost certainly just going to be some off the shelf reboxed chink garbage.

i don't think they know what it is though

But why? That would just be yet another console you'd have to buy. Sega still makes great games as a third-party, and they can even be on PC too since they aren't locked to a console.

FAG

The real Atari died with the Jaguar

No but seriously, what does Atari have to offer anyway? What IPs does they even have?

Given that Opperman is a jewish name, at least in part, I wonder if there's not kabbalistic ties to the logotype.

reminder that that was the second atari, the first atari died with E.T.

Its sitting on several bought ones I think, or rather ones it published for other developers.

Calling it now, this is gonna be the gay marriage of the Nvidia Shield and an Ouya

Rollercoaster Tycoon, Test Drive and old school arcade shit like Centipede.

The logo is even in the new Blade Runner movie.

Tempest but that's already had its final form as far as I'm concerned, and then there's Jeff Minter fucking its corpse somewhere in rural England.

Atari being big was the least realistic part of Blade Runner.

What would they call it

America overtook Japanese culture years later anyway.

inb4 Atari saves gaming by crashing the market with no survivors a second time

I wish Sega came back.

God I hope so.

Even if it emulated all the games for 2600, 5200, 7800 and Jaguar it's still wouldn't be worth it. Yeah there isn't a good Jaguar emulator, not to mention the CD part, but there is barely any good game, that hasn't been already ported, on it to justify the purchase.

How about everyone develops for PC? There is no reason for consoles to exist in the here and now, they're just shitty PCs with all the cons and none of the pros.

Look at the back I/O panel in the concept design
Here's a good hint
This is going to be a PC Box lads

Spotted the poorfag, c'mon man this shit has been standard since 2015

I think that user was refering to the little red dots on the model on the left and the weird shadow on the type-C port. That's the kind of shit that shouldn't be visible on a final render.

With strange aeons even death may die.

Releasing a reveal trailer, that isn't even the sam e design as the final product, then tease the look before forcing people to wait is stupid. Going to kill any interest and blow their chances of crashing everything.

Aye, that's what I was referring to.

Also you talk like an absolute new money faggot, I hope this can be explained by you being a spic or nigger.

wheres the ventilation?
how big will it be compared to the SNES thing nintendo did?
will I be able to gut it and put a small form factor build in it??

Should call it the Twoya

Now Ouya can finally have someone to watch the end of vidya with.

What are the clips in the backround for… eed it for research

jim was right

Where the fuck were you last year

Evidently under a rock

One time I was at store wearing some generic Atari shirt my brother gave me, and when I got to the check out line the guy ringing me up said something along the lines of "I like your shirt, do you own one of the consoles?" I said no but I have an 800xl that I mess around with from time to time, and he just gave me this look of bewilderment like he had no idea what I was talking about.

He's right though.
The only single thing you need to stop being a fatso is simple self awareness. How a person lacking that can possible say anything worthy of note?

They saw the nes and snes mini and decided they would have a go.

They aren't even a company any more. Atari is just a bunch of ip's held by a french company that literally makes money of owning intellectual property. Every Atari game since the buyout has been made by a contract given to a AA game developer.
That's how much Atari failed. They only exist as a name.

They better have a virtual marketplace that uses AtariBux

That's kind of depressing.

Same as every "Atari" for the past couple decades

At least it looks nice.

If I had to guess it's an Android microconsole, like the Ouya or Mad Catz Mojo. They've confirmed it is not a retro throwback console already, and I doubt you could fit a PC in a case that small, hence, I feel that this is the only logical conclusion.

But Sega makes more money when they don't have to pay to produce a console. Unless their console would have some new gimmick that is worth while. It might work since Sega is pretty good at making games with different peripherals.

This is the first time I've seen Ouya-tan happy :3

yeah, except this thing's hardware will be NOWHERE NEAR as powerful as that bad-ass little skull canyon NUC and its sexy i7 and iris pro graphics

I suppose Atari could carve out a little niche for themselves if they saw everything Ouya did wrong and were careful not to follow in their footsteps.

Just a few of the things they could do:

Since they're taking feedback and obviously want this to succeed, it would be prudent to let them know these things.

Alone in the Dark

It's a box with emulated games on it, not a console.
How do you retards not know this?
Atari has been doing it for fucking years.

Isn't that a dead IP at this point?
The last two(?) games were widely panned.

It's press release literally says it's designed to run old games and also new ones. How are you smart enough to know how to find and upload an image, yet too fucking stupid to read a single paragraph of text before opening your mouth?

Blood's director has the source code, Atari cockblocked him from releasing it and making a source port. If they die then the odds of the source code being released will be extremely high.

if Jace Hall couldn't get it released I feel like nobody can, but I welcome being proved wrong

I see where you're leading, if this Ouya redux fails to gain traction and somehow tanks the entire company then there would be no more obstacle to the source being released, except possibly Monolith (I think they are owned by Warner Bros. now?).

There's actually a "theory" called the Blade Runner curse due to companies that were shown in the movie either going bust or suffered greatly after the movie came out.

Yup, the post I was replying to was talking about this killing them. Who knows what would happen then, for all we know Monolith would buy the rights and try to make a Blood 3.

My brother ordered a PS4 a while ago. That thing disgusts me, it embodies everything wrong with modern video games: DRM, DLC, unfinished games, bloated software, AAA games that have to follow the cookie-cutter formula because you cannot take any risks anymore.

All I want is a simple console: plug it to your TV, insert the cartridge, flip the power switch, start playing. I don't even care about the graphics, it's a console and not a PC, so the graphics are going to suck anyway. The Nintendo Wii was originally meant to be a cheap console (IIRC around 100$), but then Nintendo shoved a bunch of extra stuff in there to justify the higher price. Atari could make a cheap console that is just a box you hook up to your TV to play games on, and I'm sure it would be a massive hit. No microtransactions or any other modern shit. Kind of like the NES Mini, but with cartridges and new games for it. I would actually want to buy that instead of the modern abominations.

That would actually be pretty cool

Sega made pc ports when the had consoles like the genesis.

Which CX episode is that?

That's not how market research works and also most modern consoles log in pretty fast already.

That would be kind of poetic.

Huh, interesting. Coca-Cola isn't gonna move anywhere though.

Atari cannot afford going the AAA console route. I mean, what exclusive games would they have to offer? That was one of the reasons the Ouya failed, it had no games worth buying the thing for. A cheap console with a library of classic games would be good enough as a secondary console or a poorfag console, allowing it to fill a niche the other three don't fill.