Darkest Dungeon: Crimson court

The new darkest dungeon DLC dropped.

Any idea if its good?

Other urls found in this thread:

jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Fate
darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Districts
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Watch nerd commandos review. It seems okay.

Okay.

Even just Court of the Crimson would have sounded cooler.

Good for you. Now fuck off.

I will admit, this got me to reinstall. I bought it in a moment of weakness during the sales and it did hold my attention for a while, but it was when I was doing Resolve 3 Long missions that I just realized how dull this fucking was You were at the complete mercy of the RNG, minimal planning could save you from something fucking you in the ass (repeated shaman stress crits into afflictions\heart attacks were fun things) and losing a hero was already bad at 3, I can't imagine the hell it'd be at 6 considering the shitty rule of you can't take higher heroes on lower missions. The last time I touched the game was January of last year, so I'll see what the fuck has happened since then.

To be pertinent to the topic, no the DLC does not seem interesting. One new dungeon, so 2 bosses and roughly 5 or so enemies, anda new character don't seem worth 10 fucking dollars. I always liked the art style of the game it was like if a Hellboy comic finally got an adaptation, but everything else sucked. Especially the music (barring the towns theme)

Radiant Mode which was released a few months ago lets you take whatever resolve level you want wherever.

So is it pretty much EZ mode? Does it completely jank the game if I play on that or is it still moderately challenging? Because I can understand accommodating for some RNG and difficulty spikes but I remember some shit just completely ruining my life and I think I might just do that for a first, and probably only, run through to the Dankest Dungeon itself.

I think some of the really autistic JoJo fans actually came up with a plausible and consistent explanation of what KC actually does - might be on the JoJo wiki, actually.

Are they still just stroking the difficulty boner shamelessly?

Cause at this point their dedication to removing any synergy or winning tactic just kind of makes the game pathetic.

It's meant to be faster overall, so there's less resolve grind and you can upgrade your stagecoach to recruit up to resolve 4.

THIS SHIT IS NOT OKAY
FUCK YOU RED HOOK

Oh, there is one. It's just that Araki never fucking stuck to it so it's pretty much irrelevant anyway.

When's the crack or the drop to 3 dollars?

Agreed

What is this faggot game and why should I care?
Seriously never heard of this shit before.

Which can be modded out if you find the right game file. None of it is encrypted, it's just a matter of finding the right variable.

it's a really mediocre RPG where the entire game is about managing RNG, if you ever find a cool combo of skills/items that negate some of the RNG, the devs throw a hissy fit and patch it out.

it's RNG the game , it's what you get when you remove anything that made FTL somewhat manageable and player focused and replace it with a turned based combat system of watch me pick the best skill each turn and dice rolls ,it's fun for the first few hours until you realise that it's one of the most unintuitive combat systems a game could have paired with a gigantic grind
>inb4 DDDF arrives

The worst thing is that they nerfed any fun build.
Instead of making enemies that would counter it, they just turned any effective tactic to shit.

sauce?

What part of it doesn't make sense?
It's just the standard "pick action from menu" shit you see in most turn-based games.
If you're talking about item interactions, I'll give you that some of those make no sense, but that's not really part of the combat system.

wrong word then , i was thinking of insipid

What?
If you just don't like how much grind there is and how easy it is for that grind to go down the drain, I'll give you that, but the combat on its own is perfectly good.

Players

Devs

It's like the devs never took a moment to actually study what makes a game difficult.

Or alternatively.

Everyone wants to be FTL Original and repeats the same mistakes.

FTL Original was balanced for the most part, unless you were playing blind or it was your first playthrough or both.

tl;dr RNG is not a substitute for difficulty and just making things difficult for the sake of being difficult without offering an reward is pointless.
It's like playing D&D with a dungeon master who decides to google " how to make everyone hate me" and fills his dungeon with Rust Monster, Gas Spores and every type of mimic imaginable, while having the 'ultimate loot" of the said dungeon be magical crown… Of forgetting 10 levels.

It's because the developers of both are fuckwits that think bashing your head against a wall is the height of challenging gameplay. Instead of demanding players learn the game mechanics and how to plan and think on their feet to tackle different situation they just bash you on the head with a glorified slot machine. Dying over and over again without any ability to do anything about is what hardcore games are made of, right?

Yea, its called risk management:^)

it's turned based , i don't think that anyone can mechanically fuck up something as basic as that. Having said that when you pair that passive combat system of watch me pick the best skill with a huge grind and on top of that the RNG that fucks you over at any part of the game forcing you to repeat the process it quickly becomes a chore ; hence i say insipid/unimaginative/tenuous/wearisome/BORING

It's more of the same. New class is strong, so i will probably get nerbat. Blood curse is just another busywork mechanic and really not bad as curse should be. You can build new shit that acts like global trinkets but it requires even more grind.

As a kid I played a ton of Ghosts n' Goblins and I got reasonably good at it for a child. I could beat the game once, which was a nice victory for me and felt good because it required me to learn the game's intricacies.

When the game told me I had to start again, I was angry but also enthusiastic. It meant I had a whole new game to play again, but I felt like I had beaten this before so it was a bit hollow.

I never finished Ghosts N' Goblins, but as I aged and new versions came out I fucking destroyed them. By the time Maximo released for PS2 I felt unstoppable. Naturally, I got crushed in my first few runs but after a lot of bullshit I steeped through and beat both Maximo games with relative ease. Thanks to the developers knowing how to develop a fucking game I was able to learn patterns and levels in order to become more proficient at the game series itself and it is one of my favorite memories.

In comparison I've spent countless lackluster hours wasting my fucking time beating baseless douchebag games without any heart or design just because I want to replicate the experience of beating Ghosts N Goblins for the first time. It was simultaneously satisfying and irritating because while my first playthrough was over and I absoluetly won I was informed that that wasn't enough and it kept me interested long enough to play through most of a second wind. Meanwhile modern games can barely hold my interest long enough for me to forget they exist in my Steam catalog.

TL;DR: Shovel Knight is fucking trash.

I don't know all that much about Ghosts n' Goblins, but did you mean to say Ghouls N' Ghosts at one of those points?

You're absolutely right user. I completed Ghouls N Ghosts, not Ghosts N Goblins. I think Ghosts was an arcade title. It's sad that I can't remember which is which but with how those games are titled I'm not going to sweat it. Also I think Ghosts N Goblins was the first in the arcade I played in as a child, so along with Galaga's fast shoot mods that made the circuits that might be the last arcade game I remember as fondly as Hat Trick.

I miss arcades. I miss them dearly.

I am really surprised no one has made that song into a game/movie. The story is pretty clear once you realize the narrator is the King.

Alright faggots,you might get fucked sometimes but saying you're at the mercy or that the game doesn't reward you for smart play is retarded.
Fucking casuals,the lot of you.

Crimson curse is really OP on medium and short dungeons if you let them crave then give them blood,since it gives a really strong buff for a long while that gives 25+%damage and a fuckton of resistances ,with only making them lite-afflicted and making them only sometimes willing to fuck you over.
The flagellants bleeds are ridiculous,though I haven't really tried him against a proper boss to know how he fares in longer encounters.Though any ability set that doesn't involve the "if less than 50% HP " abilities seems like a waste for him.

Unfortunately lots of trinkets got nerfed recently but on the plus side they added a lot of strong trinkets to counter that.

The new Bloodsucker enemies are a decently difficult,though sycophants being essentially immune to stuns is annoying.Unfortunately the alligator boss is pretty bullshit and they had to bullshit him more so him hiding heals his DoTs.This means that a burst damage team or debuffing his damage to hell are the only useful alternatives because he deals a lot of damage with strong bleeds on top of that while switching places all the goddamn time,making the usually tanky heroes worthless half the time.

It is not that hard Araki is guy who finished fashions school not mathematics. It erases time means it erases time.
He needed it to remove time when user got hit by bullets. It did just that.

And it is not even the most complicated stand. Araki had actually some much more fucked up and more interesting ideas, but everyone talks about king crimson because of this meme.

Thing is some of what happens in erased time still happens.

When they're using blood drips to check whenever King Crimson was used, they still change from 2 to 5 instantly. If everything was erased, the blood drips wouldn't change.

I know what he means, but even a writer has boundries in his fictional work that he himself set up in the first palce.

Because it doesn't technically erases it but skips 10 seconds forward. Unless Araki uses it otherwise.
It is like skipping video. You skip 10 seconds forward means you didn't watch that but it was still there.

At least in normal terms. In Jojo there is this thing called fate. With such concept in place it is easy to remove time when all of time was set before hand.
jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Fate

I know that but still he is right. Anything can happen in fiction. What matters is however how good a story will you make using that. Modern Marvel failed here.

it erases time, and erases the consequences of what happens during that time for the user.

Let's say a dude shoots at Diavolo and there's a dude behind him. Normally, Diavolo would get shot, and the dude behind him would not. If he uses his power, the consequences are voided, the bullet skips past him and into the other guy, because for that amount of time, nothing can effect Diavolo. On top of his Epitaph power, which allows him to see the future, this makes him very fucking powerful.

The only thing that limits this from being OP is the fact that he can't effect anyone during that time like Dio can with his time stop, he can only set up attacks, but this basically means he can set up surprise attacks whenever he wants.

His stand also has crazy strong retard strength when his power somehow fails him, so he not only has two stupidly powerful powers to work with, he also has super strength.

And this is why Giorno needed his "fuck you i do what I want" stand upgrade.

Also the power was translated badly if you remember. Replace "erase" with "skip".

He can tell what goes on during that time due to his Epitaph power, no one else can, i think.

Play Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. They're mostly based on memory but I had the same feeling beating them you've described having.

Is the game still no fun allowed and boring?
Is Red Hook still completely retarded and butt devastated when people found effective team setups?

The only time you should break established canon is for a plot twist

IE "We thought the angels were invincible, it turns out they were hiding their weakness to piss the whole time as a ruse!"

I'm a little upset I missed the 3 crusaders + 1 vestal strategy when Holy Lance was usable from the 2nd slot.

wtf you niggas burning braincells for, it just fucking works

So how does the new district system work?

if you have to burn brain cells to understand it, you're not really very quick on the uptake.

You I like you.

I'm just memeing, it works basically how you've described it. But I think Araki took some whack liberties on how it was used as always, that's why it's so confusing to some.

Did I just not notice it before, or did they add limited uses for skills per fight in the latest patch?

Say what, user?

For example the bulwark of faith skill of the crusader only works once per fight now?, but the effect lasts the entire fight instead of a few rounds, which I guess isnt that bad.

Oh, that actually sounds pretty reasonable. Had me worried for a moment there.

Yeah I only noticed the effects last for the entire battle after my first post.

Did the balance changes happen to the base game or do you need the DLC to get it?

I don't know, I got the DLC.

from what i've heard they did apply to the base game but don't take my word entirely on that

Steamfags are crying about the new "affliction" if you know what I mean.

Also, they've seem to have patched already since the first area wasn't supposed to be available at beginning, and now it is, with a warning.

They're just still butthurt that their le ebin Desu Vault 4 crusader meme team was nerfed.

Base game. They added some stuff to the vanilla game alongside the DLC. I don't have the DLC, but still got the new version of Bulwark.

dont bump this trash

FTL is fun though.

Sure it's summer. Is called risk management, and allows you to gitgud

Kill yourself memeing faggot.

Nigger please. The same arguments were made in the dead of winter as now. This lazy mobile tier game isn't very popular here. Deal with it.

Get out summer fag.

There are plenty of games that do risk management good, its just that this game doesnt and thats what gets you so buttflustered because you assume its all just fucking casuals who cant play vidya. This game is the perfect example of a good foundation ruined by the devs shit ideas. Yes, some really cheesy shit should be balanced in patches but the devs went overboard with it.

Can you name some of them? I need shit to play.

Reducing how often it's unwinnable because of RNG does not make it not all about RNG.

I dropped Darkest Dungeon because the meta is really boring: manage stress or lose everything. The stress mechanic is simply busywork and not fun.

The issues with this game:
1)RNG ridden
2) The meta of Darkest Dungeon is stress management. In this way, not only you need a healer for HP, but a stress-relief class to keep stress low. This is optimal for Half the game, and this comp builds your units to be strong for more aggressive comps later. With this you have zero risk and find the answer to the game until the DD, which in itself turns easy thanks to unit building with 1 healer 1 stress relief 1 DPS 1 tank/melee. Note also that Jesters and Dance comps also stress relief and dish good damage.
The point is, 1 Stress relief 1 healer is BORING, and its the optimal comp in the meta due to the need to relief stress and make sure your units don't get fucked by disease/negative shit/ high stress, let alone not die. The meta is boring and slow, which leaves to the next point
3) the game is very repetitive, with the only sprinkle of difference being RNG and randomized mini-dungeons.
4) Managing the loot you get with a limited inventory space is more tedious than enjoyable, they should give you at least 2 more columns to work with by default. The torch mechanic adds to tediousness more than customization by being forced to buy them to avoid stress.

The main mechanic of this game is stress management, and stress management is boring. Without that, the game is a very simple turn based RPG with as many abilities to choose from as World of Warcraft's Battle Pet mini-game. The game is bland with a big boring mechanic as competitive advantage. "omg so hard so many risks" is bullshit marketing that retards chew upon because they're not playing the game right. If you want to win you need to manage stress, and managing stress is not hard, there are plenty skills and classes that do it. It's just that its boring.
on top of that Crowd control being so highly resisted by default encourages turtle mechanics and overgrinding your DPS so they one-shot the squishy enemy units as optimal strategy.

It's just not a fun game. It's busywork and grinding. You're better off playing Dragon Quest if you want a grindy turn based game, and you're better off playing literally any other RPG ever that is not casual garbage if you want risk management.

If the game played in a higher and faster pace, I would forgive it because at least the pace of the game is fast and you can grind and manage things at a proper rythmn considering how much risk there is to manage. But no, the game is fucking slow as fuck both in battle and outside of it in the dungeon, making the game so slow is probably the worst combination with its also slow-paced meta of turtling and managing stress. If the turns were as fast as, say SMT: Nocturne or DQ on high battle speed, Id forgive its meta, but you cannot customize the battle speed, making a recipe for not only busywork, but SLOW busywork.

This game is indie trash. i didn't even mention how bullshit the Final dungeon is, forcing you to grind units to max level for EVERY SINGLE DD FLOOR. fuck this game.

I wish I could shoot ledditors and retards that listen to them through the internet.

Shoot yourself for playing this shit

Eat a dick, faggot. It's a mediocre dungeoncrawler with a lot of style baked into the aesthetic and mechanical aspects of the game. I'll take something like this over the usual indieshit.

Why play indieshit at all?

spoilers
Darkest Dungeon is casual indieshit

You need money, heirlooms and blueprints to build them.
You get 1 blueprint per dungeon boss killed.
After they are built they provide global buffs to certain builds or overall long term benefits.
darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Districts

Speaking of G n' G have you played Matilda Castilla and does it actually follow good game design by your metric?

There's one thing about King Crimson and it is how you can only trip so far before you're actually tripping.

Darkest Dungeon is a bad game.

You know, it wasn't until very recently that I actually realized that Epitaph lets Diavolo see the future in that crazy hair of his.
That's the weirdest part of King Crimson. You can see the future, but only if you're looking at the back of your hair.

Maybe that's why Doppio had so much trouble against Metallica: he had his hair tied in a ponytail.

how do you even grind in this game when every map is medium length after the first short one? imo you cant recover when you do a full retreat since you will be out of heroes and you wont have a lot of gold to compensate provisions for the remaining heroes you have. also, decreasing stress for heroes costs a fuckton of gold

Whatever you say, pal

top percentile

If the game/expansion doesn't at least feature the line "I WEAR NO MASK." then the developers have missed the point entirely. Actually, wait, reading over the synopsis, it sounds like the expansion actually isn't like any of this at all, and is really just about… a magic zombie virus?

Objectively false, you always get at least one short lv. 1 map in some zone. Otherwise, you can grab random heroes off the stagecoach, dump them in with no gear, and see what they get you before you dump them. Once you're established, you can also throw in four antiquarians, use the camp skill that gets you a random trinket for each, and surrender. You don't give a shit about stress, they're not there to fight.

Sure you're not mixing up kingly colors there?

Don't remind me. Please don't remind me.

Is the Long Crusade or whatever that 4 paladin/knight party was now dead?

I knew Holla Forums was pathetic, but come on now.

Holy Lance can only be used from the 2 positions in the back as of a while ago. And I think it used to move you forward 2 slots, and only moves 1 now.

I might be wrong about the movement part.

Sure brings back nightmares.

Theres a difference between being a hipster and liking things that are good. Sounds like youre the one thats too pretentious to leave your house

League of Legends is also very popular and is considered a 9/10 game by critics and consumers

Is there a game like Darkest Dungeon but without RNG. I love the art style, but hate the whole "miss a bunch of times and get critted into game over lol" concept.
Is there any turn-based video game without RNG at all?

does it contain completely different gameplay and got rid of the retarded grinding?

if not, the game is still pure shit.

So then who is wrong? Critics who have a pedigree and a vast knowledge about their subject matter, or you? Don't answer that, we all know the answer.

Yeah fam, I'm wrong because I have my own opinions

This must be bait.

top jej

I put over $200 into skins since it was in beta (played from Ezreal release to Braum) and over 2000 hours with enabling friends. Took a break for a year because graphics card broke and found out I got permabanned for botting???

Appealed it with evidence I didn't play, wasn't my IP, and their support team fucking attacked me, said they were never wrong and had their own methods to verify it.

Why did I need to fill out all that information if they just ignored it? And its my fault for not keeping my account secure?

Like fuck I just read what I wrote and it pisses me off

If any other service industry did this there would be a huge backlash. Gamers have absolutely no consumer protection and its fucking awful

That was over 4 years ago, calm your tits

Nothing?
It it not possible to even make turn-based game without RNG?

ASSFAGGOTeers are the absolute worst.

Doing something stupid doesn't magically become less stupid because some time has passed. The fact of the matter is that you enjoyed an irredeemably shit game, spent disgusting amounts of money on it and decided to tell people about your bad decisions. You deserve any bullying you get.

This balance patch doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Most characters have one black skin out of about 5 and you can change it at any time.

why is the game now spawning 90% niggers, tho?

You might just be watching somebody who is being haunted by niggers.

This. Removing control from the player is NOT a good design decision. It doesn't kame your game difficult, just shit.

really nigga

Think of radiant mode as like the ability to run around with one-two groups and try your best to have your small band of heroes defeat everything. Otherwise you get to enjoy juggling a full roster and having some suicide run making it a bit retarded.

Idk, I would play it like mordeheim.

Well you have no hunger checks. They are trying to prevent people from being niggers and using food like potions.

How fucking cucked can someone be to pay for fucking pallet swaps that don't change anything gameplay wise. People that fall for the skins meme are the mos pathetic cucks out there, just giving out your money for free to some numale fag working at riot games.

I bought the Ancestral Edition, which has the DLC, and not having played the version without the blood lust curse, I can safely say…

FUCK YOU

Seriously, this game is already nightmarishly ridiculous enough, that fucking blood curse is driving me insane.

Basic party construction, skill usage, and planning is beyond you I see.

Dude, you're chafing my balls, quit sucking.

If anything the DLC makes it easier since now you can grind districts for boni.

Musketeer is a nice class to mod in. Also Pirate master race

Tell me about the Crocodiles user

Would anyone be willing to upload a couple of workshop mods to mega to help a filthy pirate?

Considering your prissy faggots get stress relief from critting, is there a build with which you can rely on critting for stress management?

Nigger it isn't even close.

Bumping, I know the game is a mixed bag, but I still enjoy it autistically. It's a nice Guild simulator.

I might enjoy a game that's just managing the cunts, without controlling the dungeon crawling myself. Is there any game like that?

Is the balance still fucked because the devs are no fun allowed faggots who insist on making their game as tedious and obnoxious as humanly possible? And if so, has anyone tried modding this shit to circumvent said faggotry?

I want to like this game. It's got so much going for it, but the game is 98% risk, 2% reward, and the rest is just dumb luck.

Damage values should be easy to modify, I know there are plenty of mods that change/rebalance/add classes. You might wanna look into that.

So I got to ask, as much as I hate necrobumping, but are the devs throttling information regarding the DLC? I've been trying to find information on the bosses and all that's available on the wiki is the Baron and Garden Guardian with broken links for the Viscount and Countess(The latter two actually had thumbnails but they're gone now with only broken links referencing them), and the only videos I can find of them are from a chinese streamer

Wow, somebody even more useless than the niggers crying about RNG. Just go fight them you vagina.

This thread was a mistake.

Did they nerf the XP gain in Radiant mode? It was really good before (if it was changed), but now I feel like the grind has intensified once again.

It's pretty much just vampirism + insanity. What surprised me more was the insect/mosquito theme of a lot of the enemies.

The difference is that one is a movie director and the other is a video game.
I would never compare the opinion of an Ebert to that of a Kotaku writer. At the end of the day, movie critics and video game critics are apples and oranges to one another.