Roguelike/Roguelite thread

Let's have a thread for the last bastion of good games remaining nowadays. What are you playing? After getting the orb of Zot and failing on the return I've been looking to try other roguelikes that won't make me pull my hair out.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/NRyD5jtt
crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Urug
crawl.develz.org/release/
sites.google.com/site/broguegame/home
roguetemple.com/7drl/2017/
d.vsetop.com/download/0117/NEO_Scavenger_v1.15.rar
demon.ferretdev.org/
gridsagegames.com/cogmind/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I miss the CDDA threads we had. What should I try next? I played cdda already. I want something else.

Barony

I don't think so pal.

I say without any exaggeration or aggro that year "roguelikes" are a hipster cancer on the industry. The term itself has become an excuse for the sheer lack of content, effort or even base plot.

This. If you just take some defining roguelike aspects (permadeath, semi-randomly generated levels) and slap them to an altogether different game without the core elements of roguelike gameplay, like in-depthness and/or quickness and the variety enabled by simple presentation, all you get is gimmicky shit.

Some of us consider even the best games to have facile stories when compared to good books. I want good gameplay. I have a weakspot for deep inventory configurations and loot tables. Their simplicity is a bonus, not a bad thing. It's only bad when not enough effort is put into the amount of randomization. DCSS gets it just right, but I've already beaten it more or less. I could go hard mode and try something wacky like an Octopus mage run, but those are too hardcore for me.

But that amount of depth is what I like. Makes for some pretty interesting gameplay. Saying 'hipster cancer' is not a meaningful criticism in any way, just a highly subjective and myopic criticism about some games being mediocre which is true of every single genre.

tl;dr you are dumb for leveling criticisms that can be leveled at any genre

Well now I just don't know

how do I git gud at Sil? the farthest I've ever gotten is 350ft but usually I die much earlier.
Also, rate my character

How many features have been removed these days?

sil player here, further i went is 500, giants shrek me pretty good.
but from your pic. stealth? not rly, evasion good, will and will perks especially resistance for fear/poison is crucial deeper on. melee perks are also amazing. when i checked sil ladder, archery seems to be the way to go, but i havent tried that yet. but i do use a bow ofc, scared orks can be rly annoying if you dont have sprint perk (by perks i mean the skills you can unlock with your exp)

[Sil 1.3.0 Character Dump]

Name Teron Age 4,233 Str 2
Sex Male Height 6'10 Dex 4
Race Noldor Weight 157 Con 5
House Fingolfin Gra 3

Game Turn 13,149 Melee (+9,3d7) Melee 9 = 7 +4 -3 +1
Exp Pool 3,501 Bows (+4,2d7) Archery 4 = 0 +4 -1 +1
Total Exp 24,501 Armor [+12,6-19] Evasion 12 = 8 +4
Burden 110.1 Stealth 2 = 0 +4 -2
Max Burden 144.0 Health -6:49 Perception 5 = 2 +3
Depth 500' Voice 15:34 Will 11 = 7 +3 +1
Min Depth 550' Smithing 3 = 0 +3
Light Radius 4 Song 3 = 0 +3

[Notes]

Teron of the Noldor
Entered Angband on 27 May 2017

Turn Depth Note

933 100 ft (Charge)
1,630 150 ft (Dodging)
3,900 200 ft (Clarity)
3,900 200 ft (Finesse)
5,126 250 ft Encountered Gorgol, the Butcher
5,153 250 ft Slew Gorgol, the Butcher
5,704 250 ft (Follow-Through)
7,183 350 ft (Sprinting)
7,483 350 ft (Flanking)
9,208 400 ft (Zone of Control)
10,414 400 ft Encountered Orcobal, Champion of the Orcs
10,425 400 ft Slew Orcobal, Champion of the Orcs
11,001 400 ft (Hardiness)
11,001 400 ft (Poison Resistance)
12,119 500 ft (Crowd Fighting)
12,308 500 ft Encountered Ulfang the Black

13,149 500 ft Slain by a Giant.
13,149 500 ft Died on 30 May 2017.

['Score' 010086851]

What do you mean?

also check this out my dude
pastebin.com/NRyD5jtt

Just started playing. Looks beautiful, has a in-dept civs, solar systems. It crashes all the time. I also heard Ivan is getting updates again, something about spider caves.

go back to fucking cuckchan

I really wish for one of these roguelite games to have decent procedural generation, because playing many of them I've noticed that while the gameplay is usually really fun and really good, after the third hour(this is generous, usually on the best of games. One game I noticed the repetition not 10 minutes in) or so you can start noticing the repetition and reuse and then you realize the procedural generation is shite.

So far we have 'cucked', 'hipster garbage', and 'shat on' as descriptors for DCSS. Any more from the annals of Holla Forums-sophistry? Notice how you didn't make your own thread, instead unleashing your self loathing on others because the thread that was made isn't 100% what you wanted.

You can't be serious

Latest versions removed classes/races/gods

I guess I haven't checked in a while. What's stopping you from playing the one before that? I used to enjoy playing Rust but the game got ruined with all the mechanic changes in my opinion. That doesn't make what it was bad, just what it is now. The only difference is that I can't just download an older version of Rust to play, so I stopped playing. Not true with DCSS. Actually I was playing an insanely old version for a while, one that's in the Mint repo, and then downloaded the newest one and was amazed at how little other than sprites for items actually changed.

Wow OP, way to be a faggot.
One of the recent changes was making some of the unique monsters transgender, seriously.
Just because.
Oh and let's not forget the update where they made things less euro-centric by removing the ring of shaolin because it was cultural appropiation or how they removed the 'exotic weapon' description from asian weapons like the latajang because they are just as valid as longswords and the like you eurocentric shitlord. Yeah, the faggot making these awesome contribution was a swedish SJW too.

you can dl past versions and since game is open source that user can stop being a faggot and use his superior intelect to actually add features

i still like rust and can understand why devs don't let you play older versions. ea means you payed to betatest. they do seem to balance pretty good with what they want to do with the game and what the community wants

My favourite roquelite are the ones that are soulsborne come from kickstarter and have a retro art style.

Also notice how all they do is remove shit?
well, that's all they have ever done since they took over Dungeon Crawl, they keep removing 10 things for every thing they add, recently they cut Lair in half so now its only 3 levels and removed Elven Halls and the Crypt.

It's pretty surprising how there's less than half the game there was when they started after hundreds of updates, probably the only case in vidya where updates just reduce how much there is to play time and time again.

thanks

welcome to the internet
here you will find many triggering things
here's a tip:
maybe you should talk about things you like rather than dislike

thanks for bumping the thread btw ;)

I'm on .18.1 and none of the things you mentioned are in the game. It's probably more than a little old but you can download this version and pretend like none of the stupid shit surrounding the game ever existed.

Stone Soup as a whole is some Treehouse level rape on the game man, I'm not telling anyone not to play it but I'm just discussing how shit the dev team is.

What triggered you m8?
Is the fact someone dared to point out how the devs are proud SJWs who are turning Urug into a proud womork who dun need no Beogh hurting your feelings?
I mean look at
>crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Urug
That was the original description before they changed the pronouns to xyr.

someone should just fork an older version of dcss, maybe around 0.10 or 0.12

op try to make it less obvious that you are the current stone soup dev. The game's garbage and all they've done during several updates is to remove features and

ADD SCARVES

DCSS is crap as it is right now, and even the people who post on their forums talk shit about them when they release a new update

crawl.develz.org/release/
I might just do it myself. This thing is open source and everything right?

Oh and IVAN's pretty good

I'm the dev lmao, my version of DCSS is .18.1 and I don't follow video game politics because who gives a fuck. I learned ITT about all the bullshit around the game and I don't care that he's a SJW but it is sad they removed a ton of features. Rust's dev is a SJW too and made it random that your character on any server is a woman and or nigger. The rest of the game was good regardless so it was easily ignorable. Removing huge features is sad, but that doesn't prevent you from playing an older version.

But like I said in the OP, I want something new anyway.

wait did you mean you're not the dev or are you actually the dev?

I'm not the dev.

I will shill for Brogue again

sites.google.com/site/broguegame/home
That's the link. Entirely free, classic style, good for beginners and in my opinion very pretty. Enjoy.

Interesting.
How did you fail on the return?
It was really anti-climactic for me.

I used to be pissed off about DCSS until I actually got into it.
To be be honest, people are over-exaggerating about removals, the game is fine.

Anyone played Caves of Qud? I like it a good bit.
Liked: above, DCSS, Brogue, Dorf Fort
Okay: Sil, ToME, CDDA
Disliked: ADOM (controls and interface are shit among other things, I just don't enjoy it)

I'm probably forgetting some. I haven't played NetHack and given what I know of it I don't think I want to.

The game is fine, definitely. But there are all of these tiny updates with agendas like
There are good devs who just want to make a better game. There are bad devs who cave into pressure from the (((community))) and implement pointless changes that do nothing for the fun of the game. All it takes is some faggot writing 5 paragraphs about something they don't like, one person to agree, and then it gets removed.

DCSS remains a respectable and relatively accessible RL, although it can be overwhelming if you're new. However, it's not exempt from the age old antagonistic bullshit of standard social justice warriors and other "critical theory" faggots, who bitch about everything because they've been told and shown their entire lives that they get their way if they throw a fit. And this destruction is solely to have a tiny ego boost for some knuckle dragging shitlib mongoloid who thinks they just "accomplished" something by making society "better" in some small way.

That's more of an anti leftist rant than I meant it to be but the point is that you seem to have devs everywhere that cave easily to the loudest and most vocal, regardless of how much of a minority they may be. It's especially true, and I would say doomed to occur, on any FOSS projects, where there is no gatekeeping or vetting of any contributors of any kind. It makes subversion extremely easy.

I did a little bit of reading about the guy, Kevin, who's behind DDA, and the dude is a massive tool. It seems that when it comes to free, user-developed projects, there's always going to be development drama.

The solution to all this is to have a creative leader for these open-source games. A guy willing to say "No, fuck that change, that's dumb" and the devs fall in line.

What they have instead is a small team that says "Well, that's a reasonable argument the faggot in our forums made, and deleting things is easy. Why fight it?" And once a change makes it into the source, it will not be touched for another 10 versions. Nobody wants to step on any toes. Nobody wants to fight.

I've been putting a shitload of time into ToME because I'm not a fan of hunger mechanics; are there any other good roguelikes in that same vein?

lol, I have to see the updates to believe this, I wouldn't be surprised though.
I was just thinking about removed mechanics. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Unfortunately more often then not, roguelike developers are the SJWs.
It's just seems to be an aspect of the genre for a long time unfortunately.
They don't cave for the sake of complacency, but because they are inclined to agree.
I think the only community I've ever seen push back to preserve aesthetic was IVAN.
But then that was a while ago, and I haven't played the most recent updates.

SO if niggers area done yelling at eachother what games should I play?

Play Sil

speaking of forks

should we create an Holla Forums-centric fork of C:DDA?

I remember we discussed this in a previous thread months ago. If so, lets talk about a list of features we'd like such a fork to have, and a good point from which to fork from. I remember people talking about improving vehicles, I'd like some clarification on that.

We talked about it, then remembered that none of us can code.

No game has a story as good as a book. That's a stupid standard to hold game stories to.

I can code and I like roguelikes, but I'm not super familiar with the game so I don't know where to start with what could be improved and why

Basically nethack for nintoddlers with homebrewed DSes. However, nothing else comes close.

Weight 174? That's a big bitch.

Well fuck me.

I'm partial to the gba version. Its a lot of fun and he's kept updating it by bit by bit for forever now. Really worth a try interface is really easy to get a handle on to.

Also, since there's a ton of great coffee break roguelikes in it and since no one shared the link. You probably won't kill more than a few days with one of these honestly, but some of them are quite high quality and worth playing.
roguetemple.com/7drl/2017/
Yes they tend to be on the simple side for roguelikes bu some of them are quite fun.

Wew

I can code, and I worked on a DDA mod on Holla Forums before. Hah, the thing will never work though because we are disorganized as shit and lacking in any initiative.

don't worry, it's still never going to get done. If Crawl cucks itself to the point where it's unrecognizable, the devs will smarten up. Right now, it's not there yet.

The only reason that DDA, which is Kevin's fork, is successful and the main developer is tolerated by the community is because, even though he's a giant fucking tool, he does all the bullshit coding that nobody wants to do. Creating and maintaining a fork, for free, takes a good deal of time and effort. It's great to start out with ideas but many good ideas die quickly when reality hits. It sucks but it's just how it is.

bump :^)

I had huge respect for ADOM until I actually set out to finish it. I savescummed, but only to recover from deaths, not grind for wishes or shit like that.
I lost all respect after the Mana Temple. The boss cunt in there is immune to everything except physical damage, so good luck being a spellcaster. You can of course train your melee or ranged skills even as a spellcaster, but it's still total shit to force you to do that.

nigga, I'm with you re: devs cutting crap and implementing half-assed changes and not taking care of fundamental problems (try running a caster and tell me how much fun you have, malmutate is totally fucked, hell still can give glow as an effect) but elven halls and crypt are still there, and lair is 6 floors deep

they totally fucked up tomb though by removing downstairs and putting hatches instead which just forces you to do a different type of stairdancing

What are you talking about? I've never heard of this I think

What's the game?

POWDER

funny, I remember using spells to defeat him

DoomRL for fun, unreal world for cozy.

DCSS is overrated.

Best Roguelike:
Angband
www.rephial.org

easy, shitpost about how by the berlin definition anything simultaneously is and isn't a roguelike because the "community" around roguelikes is hilariously awful.
Shame because the games are actually fun

i posted in the DC:SS forums a few weeks ago begging them to stop shoving their politics into a fucking video game. i told them how i've been a fan for years and that they're driving me away.
they deleted my post in literally 5 seconds. i guess fans don't mean shit when there's no profit involved, huh.

then i went and posted about it on 4chan and they told me to fuck off and defended it, and i'll never visit 4chan again. i had heard that the only people left on 4chan is Holla Forums. i suppose this is proof it's true.

What's your beef with that boss shrugging bolt spells? I usually have used of humanoid slaying myself, but you can use ball spells to damage him. Try acid ball first and then come back here.

DC:SS was never good. It was a mediocre roguelike suffering from the same issue most roguelikes suffer from; needless bloat. It is sad that it took the game going full tumblr to get some of you to let it go.

If I made a cancer free thread it would be DELETED in minutes because the of the multiple threads rule. So fuck off and kill yourself you cancerous piece of shit.

And to the rest of the thread
STOP ENABLING CUCKCHAN TIER THREADS
REPORT CUCKCHAN THREADS INSTEAD OF BUMPING THEM

I've been sitting on The Temple of Torment, an 'Angband-like' I saw on the roguelike wiki front. Should I press forward or go for Angband for the time being?

They are called Cancer for a reason user. Fix your capitalization, brush up your objectivity and keep fun in mind. Let the good times roll.

Try poschengband, nigger.

I haven't touched any of the variants. Most of them suffer from bloat. The main game has come along quite well without adding more races or classes than necessary.

Have you tried Incursion?

Trying it now, the rendering is beutiful.

It's a finished project following the libtcod tutorial in roguebasin. Angband has been lingering in my backlog since TOME is like it is, so into the immediate backlog it goes.

Nope, downloading since it looks straightfoward.

Honestly I'm glad there are other Roguelikes nowadays, DCSS is just depressing to think about.

You could have just shitposted with bleulike games.

Is Tales of Maj'Eyal good? I want a roguelike with cool classes/skills.

Meh. Try poschengband instead.

I've had a lot of fun with it. It's not the most difficult roguelike I've ever played and certain class/race combinations can cheese it pretty easily, but it's enjoyable. Keep in mind that while the base game is free, they want you to charge you for the DLC.

The devs are complete retards.

Why do so many bland, uninspiring games have to exist in these genres?
Pic related is a game I tried about a month ago. It started as an alright game, but the more a played it, the more fucking boring it got. It's just the SAME EXACT THINGS over and over again, no change in formula, and any upgrades do almost nothing in the game. 3 types of "ships" (platforming isaac floors) that repeat over and over again infinitely.
There are literally 100s of games like this. Why?

If you're looking for a difficult roguelike you probably won't find it with ToME4 but the diversity of classes feels a lot better than in other Roguelikes just because how much shit you can do with each one.

It's awful. Plays like a mmo

I regularly played Rogue until OpenBSD kicked it out of the tree, for license reasons (pretty lame though, since nobody was ever in danger of sueing for this ancient game). Well now I just play Hack instead. It's close to Rogue, except you can pick your character class and have a pet. Oh and there's shops.
Never really got into the other stuff, but ToME v2 (before they ripped out the Middle Earth references) looks interesting. Apparently the code was based on Angband.

I don't play this game, but since it's open source, why hasn't someone just forked it and removed his changes?

Spellcasters are actually OP in ADOM. You had it easy and are complaining about one boss, all while being a save-scumming casul.

Can some Kind user please post the latest Neo Scavenger

NEO Scavenger v1.15
archive pass: vsetop.com-t1v
d.vsetop.com/download/0117/NEO_Scavenger_v1.15.rar

4chan is shill central. Do you really think anons are making those threads on /vg/, and counting them, for years…? There are only a few really obvious ones here like the Xseed one.

Friendly reminder Lufia 2 has an entire roguelike minigame. New game ++ lets you start at it and select party members. Should be a save file on gamefaqs to do that.

ADOM was my favourite before he tried to market it 10 years after the fact. Haven't tried newer versions because no doubt it has added things to keep people from playing wrong.

Hey so here's a pitch of a game concept that's kinda roguelike but also different.
It's sort of like a party-based RPG where you have to change the enemy's moveset so your party can beat them, but you can only change it a tiny bit at a time and ideally it's difficult at first to tell what your changes will do so you have to experiment. Also it's permadeath for your doggos so if they get destroyed you have to make new ones, and if you lose a combat completely you get booted from the dungeon. and given 2 new empty daemons filled with junk DNA.

Basically, should I make this in my spare time?

B U M P

user that's smt

Yeah I mean the theme is very much like smt but more computer-y and with the part of the combat that the player interacts with being totally different. Plus you don't have a demon stock but instead you have bits and pieces that you can slap together. Actually it's really only like it in terminology and theme now that I think about it.

demon.ferretdev.org/
Close enough

I'll check it out, but it seems kinda different to what I proposed. Still though, neat.

Fuck you thats a mud

gridsagegames.com/cogmind/

Any thoughts on Cogmind? It looks pretty cool and I like the concept, but it doesn't seem to have much to it other than "strap shitloads of guns to yourself and run around like a madman".

So is DorfFort a RL or not?

I played a bit of a pirated copy months back. It's an interesting game. One big point for or against it is the way your character develops during gameplay: having stat or skill based growth means you always have a pretty good idea of what kind of character you'll end up with. In this, your playstyle is determined by what you end up finding to strap onto yourself. If you wanted to play a fast light hit-and-run type, or a slow tanky gunbed, it might be a while before you get the items you need for those to drop. You might not ever get a serviceable piece of tech for the build you want at all.

So long as you're comfortable adapting your playstyle to what you end up finding, no problem. Most fun I had was playing a grenade-launching juggernaut. I hear melee is fun but it's not balanced to allow melee to compete with ranged tactics realistically.

Thank you kindly user