Linux gaming

How's your Linux install treating you, user? Play any interesting games on it lately?
More Vulkan vidya never ever

Other urls found in this thread:

xonotic.org/
jira.reactos.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/bharry/2017/05/24/the-largest-git-repo-on-the-planet/
amazon.com/Windows-core-scenario-analysis-ReactOS-/dp/7121081148/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445690513&sr=1-1&keywords=reactos
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver–Release-Notes.aspx
gist.github.com/Gfurst/c3ebc114b57cb0792db7ba0430eb9150
web.archive.org/web/20160401154751/voidlinux.eu
8ch.net/tech/res/753434.html
vogonswiki.com/index.php/Interesting_Vogons_Threads
vogonsdrivers.com/
youtube.com/user/philscomputerlab
freedos.org/
cd.textfiles.com/
github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa
packages.debian.org/sid/sparc64/gimp/download
blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2008/09/17/what-is-the-winsxs-directory-in-windows-2008-and-windows-vista-and-why-is-it-so-large/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pick one and only one

lol

NO GAMES

Now that's a new one.

Now if only I could run artificial academy 2 I could say good bye to windows forever

I play some games on Linux but many games I just switch to my barebones Win7 partition to play. Easier to set up and get working out of the box. > box > implying I don't pirate everything

Doing pretty fucking well here.

Endless Sky (not to be confused w/ the other one from /agdg/) is some good shit. It's similar to a 2D Freespace.
Also it's available on both the dev's website and on Steam if you love proprietary clients up your ass.

damn what an original joke, that must've taken a long time to brew the setup&punchline

Dont bully!

Shit got crazy in the plutonia experiment

I sure am enjoying GNU FreeDink, GNUjump and M-x tetris

Linux ports are on a steady rise and with Vulkan gaining traction in the next 1-2 years it'll become more of a norm.

On a related tangent… how the fuck did Apple manage to fuck up Mac gaming? I remember between ~2000 and ~2006 a fuckton of games had Mac ports. Win + Mac were the assumed desktop platforms, Linux was nowhere to be seen. Hell, I remember WoW had a Mac port back in the day.

What happened?

>You will never wake up to see to your monstergirl wife who woke up first and spent 30 minutes staring at your sleeping face with passion and lust
WHY LIVE?

To play video games you homo, why else?

Apophis is a mean fat snake, Pharaoh is the one true queen of the desert.

Because I will help make her real.

t. future President-Führer

justice.

Got Arena working today; Daggerfall was another matter. Morrowind keeps crashing, too. PPSSPP works great, though, and I've been enjoying MHFU. Brings back memories.

dual boot master race

Correct Answer

I mean apart from the obvious.

This is the correct answer right there

two PCs > QEMU + KVM > dual booting

No its not.

PCIE pass through master race

The biggest reason is graphics drivers. Apple's are complete garbage and were stuck on OpenGL 2.1 for the longest time, and even now they're holding them at OpenGL 4.1 (just before OpenGL 4.2 which added compute shaders) to push devs towards using their special snowflake Metal API instead. Even Mesa is faster than Apple's graphics drivers these days nevermind that Mesa also outperforms Windows in games that aren't ports using a DirectX to OpenGL compatibility layer so if you want to game on a Mac for some retarded reason, your best option is to dual-boot with Linux or maybe install Windows 7 in bootcamp.
There's also the overpriced and ridiculously underpowered hardware, see pic related for the garbage Apple uses to power 4K and 5K displays complete with inflated leaf prices.

Ah, I thought it might have something to do with OpenGL versioning.

That being said, I did hear that Metal is pretty neat. Also, isn't it quite recent?

Metal is pretty recent, but it's only being grudgingly used for ports because Apple refuses to support Vulkan and newer games really like their compute shaders.

I meant more like the API itself. I heard that it is pretty good compared to DX / OpenGL.

It's lower-level similar to DX12 and Vulkan, also a pain in the ass for developers who could otherwise just use Vulkan across all platforms.

Figures. Oh well, no matter how good it is, as long as it's closed to a given platform it'll fail. DirectX will limp on because the Windows install-base is as massive as it is, but we're clearly all headed toward Vulkan.

Been playing Xenoblade and Gran Turismo 4. Ryzen runs Dolphin and PCSX2 really nicely. Waiting until Vega to get a shiny new GPU with amdgpu-pro / Vulkan support.

GET THE FUCK OUT MICROSOFT/APPLE/INTEL/GOOGLE/NSA SHILLS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm thinking of installing parabola OS or should I use something else?

of course it is.

do you know what the fuck you're doing? and do you have a back up computer? if yes to either feel free to fuck around that's what great about it. If you don't have either i'd recommend going with something more user friendly and more documented.

If you have to ask, no. Stick with something user friendly like Ubuntu (or xubuntu)

What the hell is parabola OS?

THIS.

pro tip: windows IS a virus.

INSTALL WIN 10 GOY

Arch Linux for freetards.

Try Going Down.

it's pretty good OP thanks

Not using Linux (yet), but havent Wine become much better and more compatible?. At least that was what I read not much ago.

Should I upgrade my CPU for no benefit other than VT-d or should I wait until I build a new PC? I play two games that don't work in WINE and were supposed to get Linux ports that never came out. I just want to solve the problem for good and use Gentoo full time.

Wine gets better all the time. It's not perfect, and probably never will be as it lags behind new Windows developments, but it's definitely good enough for 98% of games outside of the latest AAA DX11/12 titles.

Wait until you build a new PC. Dual-booting is an inconvenience, but the convenience of PCI passthrough isn't worth the cost of a CPU in and of itself.

How do I use Wine with portable games?

Wine is getting better. For example, the latest release just added D3D11 tessellation support and good chunks of CSMT are moving from staging to the main release.

I havent finished plutonia yet, I can only play 1 or 2 missions per day, should have finished those games when I was young

Portable as in no installation required? Open a terminal in the game's folder, then execute a line something like this
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix wine game.exe
The path to your WINE prefix can be anything, it's just the folder containing a specific Windows configuration. If a prefix doesn't exist where you specify, one will be created with default settings. If you don't specify the prefix with the WINEPREFIX variable, wine uses the default prefix which is ~/.wine.

I would suspect it's microsoft shilling but if it was the whole microsoft product range would be shilled instead of just windows.
What the fuck is wrong with some of you anons?

I know I'm responding to bait, but I have a smidge of free time. Personally, I'm quite enjoying being out from Micro$shill's influence and have found a decent amount of fun games I would not have even bothered trying on Winblows.
Also, the one game I still play that requires Wine, runs really well with AMD OSS drivers and Gallium Nine. I'm actually getting better FPS on FFXIV with this method. Go figure.
The age of Vulkan will soon be upon us MSjews. Finally, the death of Directx is nigh.

You anons are never around when I ask these questions on Holla Forums so I'm going to take advantage of this thread. I'm going to be building a new PC soon that I want to run Gentoo on as my main OS, run a few games through WINE, and use virtualization to cover anything that doesn't run well naively yet. I'm mainly going to use the PC for video encoding/editing, tasks I could do easily on a lesser machine, and gaming.

Have we been going to the same Holla Forums?

Can wine emulate japanese locale? Running doujin games is sometimes a pain even on winblows. I can always set a VM with nip winXP, but I don't know how much would it affect the performance.

AMD, hands down. The OSS driver for Nvidia is hot garbage. The AMD drivers are actually closing in on the Nvidia proprietary drivers fairly rapidly.

No. Wtf? I've never even heard that one. The drivers are still immature and being improved, but they work fine if you're running on a current kernel.

Good: AMD

Worst: Nvidia

Best: Intel

*le reddit tumblr sigh*

Reminder that G3 and early G5 chips were the fastest workstation chips you could buy. It's a shame nothing really uses PPC architecture anymore.

That shit only applies to windows, penguin can run any hardware and
gets better with time, i think

i tried, maybe in another 3 years linuxfags you are still pozzed by systemd and pulseaudio so you aren't free from our jew masters

See ya.

Despite claims by neckbeards, pci passthrough is a tough bitch to setup, you better git gud if you want to do that

$0.01 have been deposited in your RHEL account

I was building a new pc earlier today and now I'm waiting on my GPU to arrive. Was thinking of getting Linux but seeing how no one ever provides any argument on why Linux is good for vidya I might just stay with windows. Sure Doom and arena shooters are games but will ALL of my games work on Linux? I don't want to download a shit ton of software that may or may not work and effects my performance just so I can say green is my pepper.

You should have installed Gentoo. Still, going back to Winblows because of the big bad systemd is pretty fucking sad. Enjoy that telemetry, Goy!

ALSA on Manjaro is currently on version 1.1.4, which has a bug preventing 32bit and 64bit applications from outputting sound at the same time. They try to prevent stuff like this by delaying packages, but it's still Arch at heart so shit happens.

Probably not. A good amount, yes, but there's bound to be some games you'd have to give up, for now.

If you've got the right hardware/amount of screens/patience, you could setup a pci-passthrough VM on linux, but so far i've tried twice and i'm again on win10. so yeah, it works well but not well enough. Games run perfectly but sound is a bitch because linux sound software is a fucking joke. also i always run into a problem where my virtual disk is always at 100% usage, so something is being slow as fuck that means loading times are a khunt. stick to windows 7 before the nsa updates and wait for linux or at least pci-passthrough to git gud

The worst part is that because of this not being good for vidya, the majority of people will stick with Windows and therefore Linux won't improve to be the best for vidya.

obligatory reminder you're a dumb faggot if you dont have a pc strictly for gaming and another system for guhnoo+linux if you really must use it

implying systemd isnt one large intentional attack surface
implying systemd isnt laying the groundwork for linux telemetry

also there's versions of windows 7 floating around that have all the updates applied before the windows 10 pozzing where MS started forcing a bunch of shit

the only reason to use linux is if you're tinfoil hat (and even if you use it for this you're a fucking retard because jumping through a bunch of hoops to remain anonymous just raises way more red flags – camouflage is your best bet tbh) or if you really like the software selection. it sucks shit for laptops in regards to battery life.
it's a meme perpetuated by dipshits ricing their desktops

Yeah it's pretty good. Solus is what I'm using and it's working really well. Makes installing drivers easy as shit. Devs seem to have a goof grasp of what people who switch from Windows need to make the transition.

Right now it mostly depends on how many DX11 games you play and if you're willing to look through the Wine's AppDB every so often. You're generally fine if you mostly play older vidya or newer games with Linux ports.
For example, my Steam library has 159 games in it and 63 with native Linux ports, and that's not counting games I installed with my package manager, pirated games, or stuff in /usr/local/games. Out of all those Windows-only titles, all but Renegade Ops I haven't installed it, just going off an old AppDB report that's probably outdated run acceptably in Wine. Otherwise the biggest problem I have is Hard Reset having fucked-up shadows if GLSL is enabled and Inside's lighting being completely broken because of the unfinished DX11 support.
The only reason I even consider building a separate Windows 7 machine anymore is for testing Windows builds of /agdg/ stuff, aside from that I'm happy with Unix-like operating systems.

If you actually think telemetry will get squeezed into the kernel without the biggest autistic shitstorm ever before witnessed in history, you're nuts. The best part of OSS, is you can either fork it, or make your fucking own from scratch. If someone tried to get telemetry pushed on Linux similar to Windows, FreeBSD would pretty much explode overnight.

Perhaps NOW, but where do you think things are going user? You think MSFT gave away Windows 10 because they're just super nice like that? All the big tech companies are slowly going to keep push their cock in, when they feel resistence they may ease back on it for a bit, but they're going balls deep.

Linux is necessary if we don't want to find ourselves completely spit roasted by apple, google, msft etc.

This pretty much happened in ubuntu with amazon shit. It was wiped pretty quickly

Xonotic is an excellent open source arena shooter that I wish more people played!

xonotic.org/

To my surprise, some things work better through Wine than they do on Windows.

Indeed. In fact, developers will often use wine to port their games to Linux.

xonotic gamenight a few weeks ago was rad

I've always been more of a handheld gamer, but I do occasionally play games on my Linux install. Most of the time they're via WINE or emulation though.

As a guy who still has win 10 don't worry I'm getting rid of it as we speak I just got a notification that they want to get my "permission" on some privacy settings for the next update.

You should switch to GNU + Linux when you will finally stop playing games.

pic related
ruint is the init master race.

I would love to but I have over 200ms ping for servers on my own fucking continent

use kvm+vga passthrough. near-native performance with windows in a vm

KVM is a PITA and seems fragile

works fine for me for years. I've even got it on top of zfs, but you can pass through a disk/usb/sound/ethernet if need be.

I can't find a reason to install Linux on anything other than my laptop for programming. Other than gaming, there are several programs I use that don't have a decent alternative on Linux. Also it isn't as if the OS is without its bugs and general annoyances, so I'd rather stick to what I know and what has more support.

reactos is in alpha and its more compatible with windows games than loonix will ever be.

Yeah are you going to be the autist to go through the 10 million lines of code to check if telemetry is in it? because i'm pretty sure loonix already has some kind of backdoor.

ReactOS is GNU/Linux retard

It isn't.

Reactos is a written from scratch windows clone that runs based on the Windows NT architecture.

it aims to be 100% compatible with all windows applications and games while being open source and telemetry free.

is this a good thing?

also it's totally hit and miss on linux, there's some good games i found recently, factorio, rimworld, KSP, War Thunder (inb4 ptw etc), there's definitely not a long list of linux native games though

you can play a lot more in wine if you want to take a 50% performance hit (assuming it even works)

It's been around for 20 years and it's just now gaining momentum.

they get help from google summer of code from students.

Lines of code in itself means nothing.

It means a lot when it's an operating system, Linux is nowhere near as grand as reactos. Linux is a bunch of random code from users that are scrambled together to make an os work, sometimes they are ok, most of the time they are shit. Reactos is actually attempting to rewrite windows and is even used by windows employees to understand how their own OS works.

Regarding Wine, if the game runs Directx9 (which is less and less these days), do yourself a favor and use Gallium Nine. Makes a world of difference. Otherwise, hopefully Vulkan will get picked up quickly, as games using Vulkan seem to run great in Wine.

got a sauce on that?

It isn't "tough as a bitch" nor does it require 1337 skills to do. I swear, it's like faggots are afraid of the command line or something. I'd be doing it within 5 minutes on this machine if the CPU supported it.

I always enjoy a good laugh. Thank you. That said, what are the chances the MS pajeets can actually learn 'enough' from ReactOS? I'll have to keep a closer eye on this project. If MS can learn from it, so can Wine devs.

yeah since windows is closed source, its developers don't have access to the windows code as easily, so the best thing is to use reactos which is written in C.

go to 5:03

Wine devs are actually working with reactos.

Beautiful. I'm not incredibly informed on copyright laws, does anyone know if this is something M$ will be able to shutdown with lawsuits?

ReactOS rounds really interesting and I actually want to try it out but you're utterly wrong here.
Kernel development is hard work and planning.

no, You can literally write your own call of duty game from scratch and the company who owns call of duty cant do shit against you, as long as you didn't steal any of their code or look at their code, as long as it's written in scratch. also reactos is free so they are not monetizing it.

Its not the developers that use it, its just this guy.
Although idk why ms told him to teach people how windows works without giving him the source

It could also mean that it's coded by a bunch of pajeets who write 70 thousand lines of spaghetti to accomplish the simplest tasks.

The problem is you'll never know, therefore the line count in itself means nothing.

tell me more
t. openrc user

You can view all the code yourself.

jira.reactos.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa
of if you have experience coding you can help improve the os.

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/bharry/2017/05/24/the-largest-git-repo-on-the-planet/

The chances that there isn't a bunch of curry-flavored spaghetti in there is very small

lololol u dont have gaems goyim XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
i bet u think free speech and guns is gud to u neo nazi retards lolololololol

This. Dual-boot is more newfag friendly but KVM/Qemu works great for me. I was just playing some X-Wing in it before coming here, even. i just wish i could get my shitty usb sound card working in windows xp for extra comfiness

Define decent support. There's also plain Arch, Devuan, Mint LMDE 2, and Gentoo, but only the second two are official. If you mean packages, you should be fine with any of these. I just switched from Manjaro to Arch with the third party install disc a few months ago and evertything works better so far. Alsa works fine too.

Yes, I've never done it but there's guides for it and other people have reported success.

Mint LMDE 2 is systemd free.

No it isn't. Just make sure your hardware is compatible first.

Eat a bag of legos.

what's the difference between looking at linux code vs reactos?

Thought I was on cuck/v/ for a second there.

There isn't.

Your point?

How many people sperging over systemd actually mess with their system init?

A lot of people sperging over nsa botnet still use phones and fagbook, so who knows. Everybody I know personally that cares does though, including myself.

amazon.com/Windows-core-scenario-analysis-ReactOS-/dp/7121081148/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445690513&sr=1-1&keywords=reactos

there was a chinese textbook written for students on reactos

Complaining about systemd's architecture is fair, but transparent to 99% of users. Where did this backdoor conspiracy theory come from?

You're on the wrong board it seems. Try >>>Holla Forums for a more nuanced opinion. Right now we have too many halfchan autists screeching and shitposting smug reactions on Holla Forums.

Do not use Void Linux. It breaks something every time I update now.

I don't know about backdoors, but systemd is objectively shit. It wasn't too long ago there was an exploit found that could effectively DDOS your own system by sending a zero width character in a loop to PID 1
but moreover is that systemd goes against the unix philosophy of having lots of applications that all do 1 task very well instead of 1 application that does everything poorly, jack of all trades master of none etc

That's not what a DDOS attack is. It was a local denial of service vulnerability. Those things happen. It's not pretty, but it's not exceptional.
GNU and Linux have both always brutally violated the unix philosophy. Systemd is not new in that regard. And it's a closely interconnected software suite that consists of many parts, not exactly a single application.

I use phone but not fag book. I held out on smarthphone for a long time but all for naught.
Does reactos have a tan?

AMD has an excellent but not fully-featured open-source driver. There is a proprietary userspace driver that runs on top of that called AMDGPU-Pro which provides the missing features, including Vulkan support. It's only officially supported on Ubuntu and RedHat, but that doesn't stop anyone else from using it; it's in the Arch User Repository, for instance. Should work with any remotely modern GPU. See support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver–Release-Notes.aspx

Intel's drivers are the best, but the hardware is incredibly lacking. Nvidia's drivers are terrible.

As for Ryzen, Microsoft has artificially blocked Windows Update from running when it detects Ryzen or Skylake CPUs except on Windows 10. That's all. The CPU still works, it runs the OS and software. And there's a community patch to block the blocking now, so it's not even an issue.

JP locale is easy. For Debian and derivatives like Ubuntu, do sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales and select ja_JP.UTF-8. Make sure you don't accidentally set it as the default locale during that process, though. Then when you want to run a JP program, begin the WINE command with LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8" to run it in Japanese.

It's interesting that Linux threads always get sidetracked with ReactOS evangelism when it's objectively unfit as a daily driver, and will be for some years still.

I can run RPGMaker games with no issue once I have my locale.gen and wine figured out. Go to gist.github.com/Gfurst/c3ebc114b57cb0792db7ba0430eb9150 to get sorted for RPGMaker games. 3D games im not so sure.

I am using Antergos btw so if you on a non-arch based distro then im not so sure.

It's the same canned argument every time systemd is brought up. The short version is this:

Given all of the above folks are right to be paranoid about how prevalent systemd has become and how quickly it spread throughout the community. They are also correct that it creates a common attack surface against Linux based OSs, well at least those running systemd. But, the great thing about Linux and GNU is you can fork software to avoid these problems which is exactly what has been done. What I don't understand is the constant shilling against this with the same canned responses. Almost seems like a concentrated effort to label anyone that doesn't want to run systemd as a crazy person.

It does, pic related.

Also I have to say, when I first started using arch, and I found an application that wasnt compatible out of the box, writing a PKGBUILD was pretty fun. I actually got the feeling that my Personal Computer was Personal for the first time since I built it..

always comes out shitty.

The OS itself is based on reverse engineering which never seems to bring perfect results so I suppose that -tan is fitting.

web.archive.org/web/20160401154751/voidlinux.eu
:^)

The proprietary Nvidia's drivers are the best GPU drivers on Linux.
The free as in freedom Nvidia drivers are terrible because the people that do it doesn't receive any support from jewvidia and have to completely reverse engineer that shit.

Well that seals it, I guess. How's Manjaro with OpenRC?

Now that's a semen demon

Check your ALSA version, you may be affected by this:
I assume your WINE programs are 32bit and your system is 64bit. If you make sure nothing is using your sound card before you start WINE, it will be able to grab the audio device (and then sound will stop working for everything else until you close it). ALSA devs are aware of this and it should be fixed in the next version.

Bretty gud, but ALSA was just shit on my end, maybe you can make it work or just install Pulseaudio

Devuan uses pulseaudio for the record

…Aaand you're a fucking moron. Why do you open your mouth when you have no fucking clue what you're on about? Are you so eager to give people shit you don't even bother to check if you are remotely correct before delivering your opinion?

ReactOS is pretty much an open source clone of Windows 2000.

Some systemd users can't handle the notion that systemd is retarded, unreliable, and unsafe because it would suggest that they are retards for running it. So they interpret it as a personal attack and since they know better that they themselves couldn't possibly be retarded, they screech that everyone else is just being a paranoid autist. Part of it is also the circlejerking atmosphere, and it's been noted that in a lot of places systemd users take it upon themselves to give holier-than-thou screeds that anyone who refuses to use systemd is scum of the earth and some kind of autistic lunatic, like the mere presence of non-systemd linux users triggers them, even if it's a forum post just asking something like "hey how do I make this work without systemd/pulseaudio?" It's kinda creepy and dumb.

Speaking of which, what do I need to get started on a modern DOS/3.1 PC build?
Don't say DOSBOX.

What does that webarchive mean

Why do you use a rolling release distro if you have issues with that?

DOS drivers for your modern hardware. Good luck with that.

You're right, I'm on 1.1.4. I just downgraded and I'll restart later just to make sure.

That's disappointing. Why work so hard to avoid systemd if you end up using Poetteringware anyway? It'll probably be systemd-audio soon anyway.

Most of my breaks are oddball reasons that honestly have nothing to do with Void. From memory:

Honestly, it's not bleeding edge enough for me. They're a bit slow to update some packages and others aren't mature enough for them to add support. Arch avoids this with the AUR but there's no such equivalent for Void. (Though you can sometimes make use of the AUR builds on Void.)

Install Dos, then install GEM.

GPU-passthroughed virtual machine master race

pics or btfo

void linux is still shit but you fags are like the most delicate little flowers

Nice try, Void dev. While you're here, tell your buddies to fix ibus-anthy and make old gcc versions available as alternatives.

They covered the homepage in horsefaggotry for April Fools day, revealing that the Void maintainers are horsefuckers.

It's ok, but you might as well just use Arch. There's a third party install disk so you don't have to migrate.

As in modern day or modern parts? You're going to need an ISA sound card if you want sound in DOS, which means your motherboard has to have an ISA slot, which basically means the newest motherboard you can use is from the early thousands, which means no newer than a Pentium IV processor. Pretty much everything else can and should be modern, though you'll need adapters for the hard drives and you have to have the right PSU voltages. If you're serious about building a DOS rig I'll dig up a few links.

There are xb1/ps4/vita/3ds threads?

well do the piracy threads count?

vita & 3ds definitely

Can't you run pretty much any game in a Windows VM these dy\ays?

Yeah. The VM needs its own GPU(s) though, so the Linux side will have to have a toaster tier card if you don't want to spend more. I think there's a way to switch on the fly if you have very specific hardware so maybe that will get better in the future.

Neat.

Any links to the "switching on the fly" bit?

Every time I try and move away from this set-up in any variation it ends up a logistical dumpster fire. It's like nirvana but instead of being satisfied, you're settling for an option that sucks the least out of all possible options. Sometime within the next year will mark a full decade of wrestling (largely successfully) with GNU/Linux. This means that troubleshooting GNU/Linux problems is a thoroughly familiar and comprehensible affair, while any problems in Windows explode into uncontrolable, unfixable disasters quickly. I don't know where it all went wrong, but this is my technological comfort zone. What a world.

I'd like to run some easier to run older games through WINE, since I've got okay integrated Intel graphics, but WINE is always a nigger that either works 100% or doesn't work at all. It's better than it used to be, but it's still fucking shit.

Check the AppDB if you don't already: a lot of games that don't start in Wine out of the box work pretty well if you install some stuff through winetricks or PlayOnLinux.
Also, several games work partially. Someone managed to reach several endings in Nier: Automata in a recent Wine build even though all enemy projectiles were invisible, just so he could write up test results saying the game is technically beatable.

I am. Not in the next couple of months mind you, but it's something I've been thinking about more and more with modern gaming going to hell and since I need to start doing some basic upgrades on my current computer, I thought I might start acquiring components for a DOS machine too. I'm just not quite sure where to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've been almost two years using Loonix on my Thinkpad X220. It's been a fun ride. Looking for a newer (and bigger) laptop, or maybe build a cheap PC, as I don't really like new games. I would like to play E.Y.E. and Torchlight 2 on Maximum settings, though.

Any good setup for a cheap gaming PC?

It's on par with WINE at most. In fact, ReactOS has a lot of WINE code into it.

Pulling lies out of you ass isn't good, user.

It has improved compatibility for my old games. I'm happy that I can play Iji, Super Princess Pitch and Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles now.

You'd think I'd learn after a decade, right? I have a deep-seated expectation that any doujin game or any pre-2011 game should work without bullshit in WINE. When I'm proven wrong, I just don't care because I have a tower dedicated to vidya and just move it over there. Maybe someday I'll put in more than a modicum of effort.

I generally use Linux for work station things. So generally all my laptops get linux. Currently Debian Sid.
My desktop is running windows 7 basically just for the games. I've been burned hard in the past with trying to run games on Linux. Just a never ending torrent of bullshit, really.

I am looking to build a new machine once the AMD 16 core processor comes out and I may dual-boot linux on that machine but I don't have very high hopes for gaming on there beyond anything older.
Steam runs natively on Linux now but the only games that tend to be able to run are indie stuff. Basically anything made in Unity.

8ch.net/tech/res/753434.html

Thanks for the recommendation, user.

Daily reminder that you need to put your wine version to bigger than 2.

most repositories have 1.6 or 1.8 by default.

Normalfags, not even once.

Install gentoo.

Anyone got a two monitor setup can tell me how I get wine to just work with it?
I gotta shut off my second monitor to get it to let my higher refresh rate primary monitor get the right maximum framerate.
Don't have this problem with native linux games and I've tried forcing the refresh rate in regedit. Works 100% fine on windows but I don't want to dual boot. Running with gentoo and the proprietary nvidia drivers if it matters

If the maximum games you're playing are EYE and TL2, you can probably get away with less, and therefore find shit cheaper, but that's a reasonable threshold for playing most shit WINE can handle while also making sure you have hardware compatibility. Obviously it's gonna run hot and loud, but it'll do the job.

I'll add: from experience, source games, both native and through WINE, can experience graphical errors on intel integrated shit. A 750ti is overkill for your suggestions, but will have drivers that can run games and will be powerful enough to run them. You can fudge around with it. If you want to hazard it, you might even be able to get an AMD card, or even an AMD APU, as long as you know the drivers won't be a nigger. The 750ti is the safe, internet-approved option, and it's relatively cheap, and it'll work in low-power configurations, which is desirable if you're not running Crysis-level shit.

Good luck.

Do you like hurting other people?

Thanks a lot mate

Vogons has a lot of useful info: vogonswiki.com/index.php/Interesting_Vogons_Threads
vogonsdrivers.com/
There's a thread that explains PSUs in depth, but you really just need to make sure the 5V rail has at least 20A. Mine has exactly that and it's been fine for my Pentium III.
One of the regulars there has a YouTube channel (and apparently a shitton of money) and makes some helpful videos: youtube.com/user/philscomputerlab

If you haven't already heard of it you'll probably want to use FreeDOS instead of MSDOS: freedos.org/
It's an exact clone that adds a lot of improvements and only has compatability issues with Windows 9x iirc. I'm pretty sure Windows 3x is fine, though I haven't used it much because I can't get the refresh rate high enough not to make my CRT flicker. Unless I'm wrong, there's very little reason to use MSDOS over it. If you want to use Windows 9x as well as DOS/3.1 install it on another hard drive and don't learn the hard way that it will only boot if the jumper pin is set to master. (if you want a bootloader, you can try PLOP, GAG, or GRUB which each have livecd's) Also, note that you can still find brand new floppy disks and drives. There's also those USB things that phil's always shilling.

Also have this if you haven't seen it yet: cd.textfiles.com/ Theisozone and Myabandonware have some obscure old games and software too. MagicDisc and Super Clone Drive work find on Windows 98. I don't even have a CD drive atm. Screenthief is nice for taking screenshots on DOS but fucks up some games. That's all I can think of right now. If you have tox you can add me: B9F24A589F2F2402C04F56B0A2E9B6C5FDC187FA3F6CFCF61FF8EAFF70F6805E63FD330026A7

Based chinese and their child labor

why?

this is a travesty

People are fucking assholes, when they know you know computers, they will always come ask you for advice and they NEVER listen.
fucking pricks already know what they're going to do, they just want you to validate their decision and get pissy because you didn't

probably has something to do with which monitor you sync to, in the graphical settings application just tell it which monitor you want things to sync to, under X Server XVideo Settings

as someone who has actually installed gentoo on slow hardware, that's hilarious

What was wrong with Daggerfall? It's very easy to install. Just install Dosbox and follow the instruction in the pdf file and remember that to do ~/path/to/game rather than C:\path\to\game since this isn't Windows.

To my understanding BlueZ 5 does not support ALSA for some reason, so it's pulseaudio or no bluetooth sound support, which is the classic way Poetteringware tries to infect your system. You have "choice", but Poettering is going to worm his way into making his softwares mandatory dependencies for a functional system.

There's a bluez-alsa though: github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa

Ι'd јuѕt lіkе tο іntеrјесt fοr а mοmеnt. Wһаt уοu'rе rеfеrrіng tο аѕ Lіnux, іѕ іn fасt, GΝU/Lіnux, οr аѕ Ι'vе rесеntlу tаkеn tο саllіng іt, GΝU рluѕ Lіnux. Lіnux іѕ nοt аn οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm untο іtѕеlf, but rаtһеr аnοtһеr frее сοmрοnеnt οf а fullу funсtіοnіng GΝU ѕуѕtеm mаdе uѕеful bу tһе GΝU сοrеlіbѕ, ѕһеll utіlіtіеѕ аnd vіtаl ѕуѕtеm сοmрοnеntѕ сοmрrіѕіng а full OS аѕ dеfіnеd bу ΡOSΙX.

Mаnу сοmрutеr uѕеrѕ run а mοdіfіеd vеrѕіοn οf tһе GΝU ѕуѕtеm еvеrу dау, wіtһοut rеаlіzіng іt. Τһrοugһ а ресulіаr turn οf еvеntѕ, tһе vеrѕіοn οf GΝU wһісһ іѕ wіdеlу uѕеd tοdау іѕ οftеn саllеd "Lіnux", аnd mаnу οf іtѕ uѕеrѕ аrе nοt аwаrе tһаt іt іѕ bаѕісаllу tһе GΝU ѕуѕtеm, dеvеlοреd bу tһе GΝU Ρrοјесt.

Τhеrе rеаllу іѕ а Lіnux, аnd tһеѕе реοрlе аrе uѕіng іt, but іt іѕ јuѕt а раrt οf tһе ѕуѕtеm tһеу uѕе. Lіnux іѕ tһе kеrnеl: tһе рrοgrаm іn tһе ѕуѕtеm tһаt аllοсаtеѕ tһе mасһіnе'ѕ rеѕοurсеѕ tο tһе οtһеr рrοgrаmѕ tһаt уοu run. Τһе kеrnеl іѕ аn еѕѕеntіаl раrt οf аn οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm, but uѕеlеѕѕ bу іtѕеlf; іt саn οnlу funсtіοn іn tһе сοntеxt οf а сοmрlеtе οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm. Lіnux іѕ nοrmаllу uѕеd іn сοmbіnаtіοn wіtһ tһе GΝU οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm: tһе wһοlе ѕуѕtеm іѕ bаѕісаllу GΝU wіtһ Lіnux аddеd, οr GΝU/Lіnux. All tһе ѕο-саllеd "Lіnux" dіѕtrіbutіοnѕ аrе rеаllу dіѕtrіbutіοnѕ οf GΝU/Lіnux.

That's because anyone still into MLP has incredibly shit taste. Seasons 1 and 2 were okay as children's shows but still ridiculously overhyped, while everything after that was legitimate garbage.

you should have used pulseaudio instead. now you should actually change the sound driver wine is using, you can probably get audio working again while alsa gets fixed

there IS vulkan support for open source drivers, it is called RADV

well, he was specifically talking about the OSS ones, and nvidia is the best as long as you don't find a bug in their drivers, at least when dolphin developers have tried to contact them they've got nothing

it's good to remind that manjaro in old amd hardware(probably everything before 3xx series) will install fglrx instead of mesa( and was greeted by a black screen at the DM, desktop itself, and even the fucking TTY)

How do you determine if your cpu and/or gpu supports it?

Got it on Laptop and dual boot on home PC, the former I am currently trying out with i3 gaps since I hear it's pretty neat on smaller screens the other runs Plasma.

The latter has some issues with the sound, mainly that it is way too quiet and that there apparently is no such thing as a master Volume which is just stupid.
I tried out the new dude sex since it got a port and it was nice having one more modern game to play for a change, I hope it becomes a trend.

I got a big problem with getting a toolchain up and running though which I desperately need for uni coding and I don't have any other lanix users around that I could just copy.

wayland when :^)

Why you would use linux for gayming when you can dual boot/own 2 pcs is beyond me. I lurk/work on a linux laptop and use my pc exclusively to play games

more like waynotgonnalandanytimesoon

bump?

Pretty well.

FIFY

Look it up, there's some charts showing which series of CPUs/GPUs support it. On the installgentoo wiki there's a google doc where people have reported their successes. Also, the motherboard needs to support it as well. The buzzword you're looking for is IOMMU.

>yotsuba b
what the fuck are you doing

I seriously hope you don't do this.

I'm 90% sure that's a VM.

I switched to root to not have my REAL NAME1111!!1111 showing in the screenshot.

Highest resolution that the monitor supports, and it's the default xfce4 config.

Sparc T5120.

I doubt gimp runs on sparc64.

Never underestimate the power of portability autism.
packages.debian.org/sid/sparc64/gimp/download

why plebs continue to do this is beyond me, you can literally make a snapshot of your entire hard drive after all your essential software has been installed, and just restore from the snapshot if the system gets so fucked it barely runs
not that it is at all acceptable that an operating system get so bad gradually that the only recourse is a complete reformat, I remember having to do that for windows xp and since linux I have never had the need for that

Been playing a bit of HoMM3 under Wine lately

You have a server rack at home?

Same here. Hell, not only did my install not get slower, it got faster as I debloated it over time.

oh well
it hasn't been booted for 2 months
i have too many gaems on wangblows and can't be bothered to move at all, half the games i play are windows only.
also will lose out on some programs i use on windows

I admittedly have a bunch of blades stacked in my room.

Nice forced meme, faggot.

i'm playing maplestory like the pleb i am. the only thing i've tried to run on it recently (read in the past 2 years) that failed was gog galaxy.

don't listen to him user, xfce is beautiful in any resolution

i'm always worried they'll send me an empty box and i won't have any recourse

Linux suffers a significant performance hit compared to just using Windows 7. For example, Dota 2 runs at 2/3rd the framerate on Linux compared to Windows for me. (GTX 1070/i7 920) Audio quality on Linux is often lacking unless you go to the effort of removing PulseAudio (and even then I'm not sure if it's good for gaming)

Is the performance supposed to be better under Linux? I am using the propietary nvidia drivers.

I get pretty good performance under proprietary and nouveau(still on a gtx 770, so I have reclocking support), and radeonsi performance for my rx480 is fine too.
As far as pulseaudio goes, it's terrible, but it doesn't change audio quality(or I haven't noticed). The issue comes when pulseaudio breaks, in which it can do so many absolutely fucky things(skipping(see this with timer driven audio, on an alt machine), audio corruption(discord in firefox, mumble in general, usually resolves itself after ~5-10 seconds), and just outright not working at all(dummy device, saw this in opensuse).

run it in a vm, kvm running windows 7 has a negligable performance hit as long as you're not tight on ram

Thanks for all of that. It looks like that might get me started in the right direction.

Get cancer Nvidia kike. They are fucking shit.

I have a dual ppro machine, it's ok.

oh wait fucking epic

It also shows in the screenfetch output and on the Xfce panel, though

alternatively use something not gay like xfce

I have CONSTANT issues with pulseaudio, like my left channel audio suddenly cutting out and crackling with firefox and often times static filled audio in mumble.
I'm sure these problems wouldn't exist if I just used ALSA, but I've had to use pulseaudio to get device sharing to play nicely and some applications require it.
The only real benefit to it is being able to selectively adjust volume per application.
jackd can fuck off though, I installed it once to experiment with, and now I can't seem to fucking get rid of it, and because it's an optional dependency of some things it will auto-launch and start chewing up 25% cpu time for no fucking reason.

Try apulse and dmix?

What is virtualization?

KEK

i'm gonna install linux this weekend. Arch or Gentoo? Which window manager?

You're already doing it, you might as well go full memeforce with Gentoo.

If it's your first time do Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu and play with that for a while. MATE and Xfce are safe defaults and pretty much every window manager and program is in the repos.

Once you're comfortable with that enough that it feels limiting, skip Arch and go directly to Gentoo.

not new, I used slackware and then debian for a long time on my laptops. Was never in love with APT though.

"Imageboard Linux gaming groups" is synonymous with "Large bearded men playing young anime girl erp groups", as evidenced by this thread

Arch.
Budgie looks pretty nice and so does Plasma, there is also Deeping if you like something looking like OSX.

At least do yourself a favor and get use to a shell before you detach yourself from GUIs.

Gentoo, WindowMaker

Gentoo, then. Arch is the worst of both Gentoo and Debian.

Also herbstluftwm or evilwm.

As a person who almost exclusively plays games with my PC, what would be the incentive to switch from Windows 7 to Linux? Sell me on it anons.

Is Jagged Alliance 2 really that good? Should I try playing it?

If you have no experience then install it in a VM and learn some basic cli skills. Once you know how to navigate the system and use man pages then go with a pre-packaged arch system like Antergos and install cinnamon or plasma as your DE. This can be done via one pacman command for each DE.

If you have another video card to use then there is no reason not to switch as you can get bare-metal performance in your windows VM. For the few non-gaming tasks that you do, Linux is infinitely better than windows. Who knows, you may find another hobby while using your new Linux PC. I just got into integrating my old moto g with my PC and hooking it up with my conky setup to display messages.

systemDicks isn't much of a hassle for normal users anyways tbh

Gnu is comfy as fuck though.

Nice b8 m8, name one ERP-er here.

Do not do this. For the love of god. Use something like xfce if you're going that route. or i3 if you're willing to learn all the hotkeys.

Unmute your volume.

Few things bring me as much joy as being able to do literally anything I want with my own operating system, and for that I suggest gentoo, I still gotta learn what memory settings I could change for potential benefits when I recompile the kernel. i3 is a decent tiling window manager, but you'll have to spend some time getting used to the hotkeys.
Arch is okay if only for the AUR, for easy to install packages not on the repo.

systemd is a linux coup

systemd will be gone soon

delivery also may take as much as 60 days, the anxiety would kill me

So i'm curious about the bare-metal performance VM thing. I have intel integrated graphics and a GTX680. With this kind of setup, Linux would only be using the Intel chip, and the VM would only be using the GTX680? What if I wanted to use the GTX680 for something in Linux besides the VM, like a native game?

OKAY WHICHEVER OF YOU CHUCKLEFUCKS ACTUALLY TRY TO USE LINUX, DO NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM TRY ARCH LINUX OR A DERIVATIVE (ANTERGOS, MANJARO FOR INSTANCE). ARCH AND ARCHFAGS ARE THE NIGGERS OF THE LINUX WORLD

Fucking CIA niggers are still hiding their fucking telemetry in that shit where no one will ever find it. That's 90x more code than any OS would ever need. This is why we run the CIA niggers over with our cars.

Why would I enjoy linux more than windows?

Look into devuan (basically debian without systemd) don't know how much progress they made so far, but it's supposed to be really great. basically debian (really nice place to start for newbies and offers alot of options) but simply just with no systemd.

if you really get into it you can go into the much more intense distros that you have to compile everything in.

linux is basically like windows except that if you're really careful, shit will break a whole lot less, and there's no lingering ghostly feeling of a tentacle camera from the nsa being shoved up your asshole.

also, updates are easier. no popup updates that drive you crazy. you press a button when you want to update, or schedule days/hours yourself.

it's basically a more humanitarian version of pc usage, once you get past the trouble of setting it up

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

thanks.

DOSBox runs that one fairly easily.
OpenMW. This is approaching complete despite the stupid version number.

That's in the hardware now though, you have to run older stuff to avoid it.

I'm inclined to agree if only to maintain trust separation. Dirty slut Windows 7 laptop for games and proprietary shitware that the world uses, waifu open BIOS Thinkpad for everything else.

I don't come across any of those problems on windows though

microshit: shud it down!

yea, hardware is bad, but I much rather run linux than windows. you can cut back on the bullshit by a huge amount. not all of it, but most of it. it's sad we don't have total perfection and total freedom though.

I've heard that a tactic to get backdoors into open source programs is to deliberately make parts of them too complicated, then 'accidentally' put in a vuln and hope no one else notices. systemd is perfect for this.

agreed completely.

everyone should make sure to keep their eyes open for devuan (debian with no systemd) and others that have no systemd.

eventually we all gotta make the move to systemd-free linux distributions and be as FOSS as POSSible while improving foss linux gaming.

we have to make FOSS only games with no money involved so we can make games that actually make us happy, make games the way we WANT them to be, and then no company can corrupt the makers of the game or the people who contribute because they can't "buy" it with money.

Manjaro, it's user friendly Arch, and Arch is great since you have the AUR and Arch Wiki. Also as mentioned earlier in the thread its the only well supported distro with an option to dump systemdicks.

trisquel…! you're forgetting!

You would be able to use the 680 for the VM. The only issue is that you would need to dedicate it to the VM and be unable to use it on your host install afaik. Altohough why would you? the majority of games available on linux are available on windows and those that arent are usually not that resource intensive.

Arch is better than Debian/RHEL based distros in my opinion. Why dont you like it?

Linux is what an OS should be. It makes your PC Personal again.

Isn't there a way to only attach the GPU to the VM when the VM is running? I thought I saw a guy do that in Arch

This is the video, he's using the iGPU for Linux not the dedicated

Not at the point where I have the setup to test but I think it should be possible.

Fucking pussy.

That shit gets barely updated anymore.

It's strange but linux itself is a game. I could easily spend all day writing scripts and learning new programs.
The first few hours I spent learning how to do bash scripts were infinitely more satisfying than all the time I've spent on windows.

nice to know some people like that, not for me though. I need actual games. but hope is soon. very happy about things growing.

now your just shit posting. Arch works out of the box 90% of the time.

And when updating it breaks 90% of the time.

Ive done full system upgrades several times so far and aside from me fucking up a repository I have had no issues.

So it does break, what a surprise. We all know you're lying.

if you spend most of your time working around the problems OS creates it already lost

notice how I said from me fucking it up. It was no error on Arch's part. It was my user error, which is probably what you are having issues with.

I agree. Its a good thing im using Arch.

It was. It's ok user. Arch a thing of the past because they never bothered to fix important shit like updates.
No need to be cultist.

nigger I just made a video updating my system. Also that error was me adding the catalyst repository because I wanted to try different video card drivers. I couldnt load graphical.target because the ones I was testing were fucked.

I havent posted about linux on Holla Forums at all.

So now Fallout 3, New Vegas and Oblivion are on GOG, so I might as well get them for free . Do you know how does WINE handle them with some mods?

They have a very nice customer service. I bought a phone that never got past customs (because they're on fucking strike), so I opened a "dispute". Less than a day after, they told me they were going to give me a full refund. Some people even exploit that to get things for free I don't, chinese shit is cheap enough as it is

I'll build a cheap PC like this buying parts from Aliexpress as soon as my country's customs office starts working again, and I'll post results. Pic kinda related

sudo pacman -syu
takes just as long to type as
sudo apt upgrade, except it overwrites your config files.

wewlad

maybe we do a /hgg/ here?
and yes, wine can do Japanese locale,"emulate it"

and btw on linux gaming,
and lastly
can't complain really,
unfortunately lots of games still run better on ruimdows

lol

most of the shit usually only pops up after a reboot to be fair.

Not a single rogue 'muh furries' comment. The shills must be slipping.

Mainly gpu bottlenecked ones because opengl drivers, and specially linux opengl drivers are much less mature than d3d drivers on windows. For instance I play insurgency and I made a replay for benchmark purposes and on windows I get 108fps average but on gentoo with a 100hz MuQSS kernel compiled with -O2 and -march=native, plus the same flags for every single package on the system I averaged 142fps. The game is CPU bottlenecked in this case.
Windows also has this really annoying tendency to make proccesses hop between cores every single fucking second which can cause microstuttering as moving a program between cores causes a complete halt for a small amount of time. It's the reason why when you compare a game on windows and linux at a similar frame rate the linux version will feel smoother.

if there was some kind of Just Werks passthrough or emulator for windows games there'd be basically no reason to stay

We will all go to full virtualization or full cloud-based processing. Pick your poison.

KVM is fast and good now, because of the 5GHz limit and multicore systems. Any OS can be run in any hardware virtualized. You just need to make sure that the GPU can be fully used. OS:s and hardware will become a thing of the past.

We, the consumers, will have only "portals to entertainment platforms" no individually owned hardware or software is allowed. While lazy, bad, copypaste, coding will be an increasing issue.

Tha futureh.

KVM + GPU passthrough master race

You better have stuck a gpu on a server and not actually bought those computers for the purpose of gaymen.

I use Linux for work. I keep the gaming part on Windows. Partly to save on disk space, partly for organization.

It looks like he did buy those computers for gaymen.

What are the benefits of Linux over Windows?

Found this the other day, had a good laugh. How big is your C:\Windows\winsxs folder, Holla Forums?

blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2008/09/17/what-is-the-winsxs-directory-in-windows-2008-and-windows-vista-and-why-is-it-so-large/

You get to play more with the operating system than with the software/games in the operating system.

You get more control over your system and solutions to your problems actually make sense unless you're dealing with Poetteringware unlike Windows' arbitrary voodoo rituals that only work a quarter of the time. Even the fat distros and desktop environments are still lighter and usually faster than modern Windows and it's constantly getting better for gaming as Wine and graphics drivers improve and we get more ports.

Read the thread, seriously.

True