Games with a disonance

>In fact main character seems to have troubling dark past and the world overall is not a happy place but it's not interesting because it's very generic

I'm one hour into pic rel and this complete dissonance is fucking annoying especially because I like the gameplay. Why do devs do this?
What are some other games with mismatched themes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dFlMPGX5Y5c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Those games are shovelware. Ignore them.

I got Toy Odyssey because it was 1,50€ and I'm a sucker for rogueshit. I expected something relatively light hearted because it's about toys but the story is pretty depressing.
As far as I got right now, it's about a kid having nightmares every night, it makes him go into a coma and dies. Starting from then every member of the family starts dying in accidents. The mother ends up alone and goes crazy.

least of the games sins, but it cracked me up

(checked)
I only got Steamworld Heist because of the music being supplied by a band I liked. It was a neat game, but not great. I kinda really wished that the plot of the game were, I don't know, more linear? The first act you're pirates fighting a necromancer (which without the robot theme is a basic d&d plot), the second act you're leading a revolution against robot imperialists? Then the third act comes out of basically nowhere and you accidentally release a scout back to it's fleet of big evil alien robots that want to kill robo-humanity for some reason.

The gameplay is really fun though, and it makes me upset that I don't want to sit through the stupid fucking story again.

This game.
This fucking piece a shit game. I wish I had a written collegiate thesis on why the mood dissonance angers me so strongly.

but then
>People start straight up dying
>A little girl is sacrificing villagers to the world tree on her planet
>A world tree whose name is Yggsalad
>Turns out when the gummy batteries of the robots run out, they're programmed to start turning people into batteries
>One of the bosses is a little girl being turned into gummy who you have to mercy kill
>At the end of the game, the two potential love interests fly off into space together and you never see them again
>You never even get to rescue your teacher

THE HORROR…THE HORROR…

That was one of the most emotionally traumatizing ending to any vidya I have ever played.

This garbage right here.
youtube.com/watch?v=dFlMPGX5Y5c
It's a remake of some shitty old game nobody was asking for.
It's like they hired an artist, told him to draw them some psycho pigs, he did this artwork, then the game is a completely different thing.
God damn I fucking hate young dev teams with shit creative directors.

I feel like I just got cucked from looking at that image then gameplay.

Yup, same.

This reminds me of when in the NES days a game from Japan would get a completely different cover where all the anime style has been removed, but the game itself is 100% anime.

Banjo kazooie
It's like visiting an abandoned theme park.

What are you talking about?

I think you just confuse it because gameplay-wise they don't have anything unique, but the time travel is definitely there. It's just thematic and has nothing to do with the gameplay.

More like

Uncharted 2 ends with Drake refusing to kill Lazarevic because if he does he'll be no better than him, but then he lets s bunch of giant blue monsters dressed as yetis beat him to death anyway and you kill hundreds of his men to get to that point anyway.

Uncharted 4 even has a trophy called 'ludonarrative dissonance' that you get for killing 1000 enemies, but I don't know if the fact that the devs are aware of this makes it better or worse.

the point is it doesn't matter, it's just a video game.

Not a dissonance in one game, but a black sheep among three

that's more like wrath of cortex, 3 wasn't that bad

while it is true it is different from the others,
the third game had much more substance than the other two, and better gameplay outside world hub getting locked after last chapter

Bitch that's not what the thread is about.

merely highlighting the truth to make sure no dumb user gets the wrong idea.

the first game was rebels vs empire shit story. it barely even had a story.

What is this, a fucking wine tasting
Get out of here

You fight 'the empire' for maybe the last fifth of the game. Until then its mostly working your way up through the food chain killing bandits.

If you're going to complain an user posting one slightly off-topic post, you should be complaining about other posts like

Clearly you're an Earthboundfag with some level of hate towards Mother 3 trying to silence disagreement.

But that's precisely the point. You're not heroes, you're bandits :^)

I don't know if dissonance is the right word but some of the early KoF tracks didn't feel like they represented the team at all. This one for instance makes the Art of Fighting team seem like villains or rivals.

I'm with him here guy, the post about Mother 3 is understood by the topic of the thread to be only about some kind of dissonance with the rest of the series. And here you are rushing like some kind of arbiter correcting the record on Mother 3's quality. Kindly calm your fucking tits and get off that horse.

I don't know what I was expecting with that video, but it sure as fuck wasn't that.

I was just a kid man

I wasn't prepared for this shit

Granted, most of the dissonance happens at the end of the games with unusually 'scary' final boss designs (for what is otherwise an all-ages game), or descriptions in the Pause menus / manuals hinting at DEEPEST LORE, but it's also as simple as "just think about the crazy shit Kirby does", like pics related.

Yes. I don't think it's about it being off-topic, more about a retarded user defending a shitty game.

>Cue rape slavery and genocide
>The only way this game could've gotten a T rating in the west is if they never played it until the end
>Second playthrough has an evil route that let's protagonist in on the fun

so like any number of games with ridiculous box art?

Mother 3 is like a link to the past. They are okay games but for some reason idiots love to put those games on a pedestal while yelling how amazing it is compared to your favorite game.

The empire in that game isn't even a real empire, it's just mercenaries hired by a corporation that wants to open the vault full of tentacles-that-were-supposed-to-be-treasure instead of you.
Overall story arc is still more "treasure hunter" than "rebels vs. empire"

Link to the Past is the best Zelda though.
Sounds to me like somebody has shit taste.