What is THE BEST action-oriented dungeon crawling game?

What is THE BEST action-oriented dungeon crawling game?

Bonus points if there is legitimately more to it than dungeon crawling, a surface world or overworld of some sort, and objectives other than "reach the bottom of the labyrinth"

Been playing Barony and it's pretty good in what it does, but I still feel like it's lacking some things that would make it feel like a more full game.

Other urls found in this thread:

www33.zippyshare.com/v/O61jDCcz/file.html
wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Development_snapshots
wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Changelog#1.2
github.com/TurningWheel/Barony
youtu.be/Bzrap8Vtyq8?t=7s
arx-libertatis.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Has fucking co-op
Holy shit, I'm gonna check this out. This is the best thing I've seen all week. Thanks for the tip, OP.

If you don't already have a co-op buddy for it, I'd be more than happy to play it with you. My usual co-op buddy finds the game far too difficult for him.

i dont know THE best, but i know some pretty good ones. check out anvil of dawn

The fuck did he mean by that? Combat oriented? Real-time?

I think he means not-turn-based.

Then he can go back to succ dick.

For turn based I have Nethack and that's all I need.

Wizardry 8
Might & Magic 6 and up

Turn based is for casuals who can't think fast.

While certainly not the best, Legend of Grimrock is a pretty good dungeon crawler.

Think faster you fucking casual. :^3

Think better you fucking casul :^)

www33.zippyshare.com/v/O61jDCcz/file.html

Since OP might be a shill

THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEEEEEEEE

I guess it's way too fucking late, but in case you ever come back to this thread and still wanna play:
/id/bulletwithbutterflywings/

back, thought the thread died
108.173.119.180:25565

still won't let me connect

don't know what to tell you

shit, I thought my ports were open.
think you can host?

also, just noticed you are on a version higher than me.

It still gets updated.

I suppose Pathways Into Darkness counts as a dungeon crawler.

This game is perfect if you want a BRUTAL challenge: you move slowly, your weapons are weak, ammo and items are very limited, the enemies are strong and numerous, if you try to rest there's a chance you'll be attacked, the levels are seriously complex, there is no in-game map, and there is a strict time limit - not only to get to the bottom level and plant the nuke, but to come all the way back to the entrance before it goes off.

Worth checking out, as it's free now.

Mac only.

That game almost looks like it could be fun. The difficulty you describe sounds fucking annoying though.

King's Field might satisfy you.

well well well

checked

Seconding this, all of games in the KF series (incl. Shadow Tower) are some of the finest shit the PSX/PS2 ever produced. Depending on your point of view, the art from KF 1-3 has a sort of uncanny feeling to it all. I don't imagine any indie game 'spiritual successor' ever wanting to as faithful to the artstyle of old.

You could take a look at Exanima, main dungeon crawling component only has about 10 hours or so of gameplay at the moment but the combat system is unique so if you're patient enough to get the hang of it, working your way downwards and surviving in the lower levels is genuinely satisfying.

Though really I'd suggest you keep an eye on it and play it after the next big update, which will apparently add a lot to the main game.

Those graphics are comfy as fuck.

It also has old adventure game bullshit like failure conditions that have no prior warning so you need to save all the time. I'd probably try it if I didn't have to fuck around with an old Mac VM.

Nah you can download basiliskII and emulate old mac operating systems on windows

If you can install linux you can install an old OS on basiliskII

came into this thread just for this
This and dark messiah, but dark messiah hasn't got much dungeon drawling, although the parts it does have are great

When will they add magic?
I want drunken combat mixed with throwing fireballs

They should have been a bit less lazy with the ceilings. Them being so flat is less cavey and more opressingly office-building like.

Dungeon Master 2 is a personal favorite.

hard to find the best but ultima underworld 1 & 2, the kings field games, shadowtower are great. also for new games try out dungeons and darkness, a japanese game in the vein of kings field.

they are all pretty good or at times great. The new underworld game looks mediocre. Expectations are very low for it.

Still gets me every time.

Meridian 59.

Is this some kind of early alpha or tech demo? I enjoy physics-based combat, but this looks incredibly clunky and it also has that floaty look to it, as though gravity were half its normal value.

Also, if the most effective way to fight an ogre is to run around until its AI glitches and makes it trip, that's kind of shitty. Make it instead demolish everything in its path and not be slowed down by any obstacles, and give the player ways to trip it themselves.

Definitely this one, Download the latest unreleased version of Arx Libertatis and pirate Arx Fatalis itself, dont give Zenimax a cent for their bullshit.

Download:
wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Development_snapshots

Changelog:
wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Changelog#1.2

This unreleased 1.2 version fixes the rune drawing, now it's a dickload easier, there's a bunch of other stability fixes too, as well as better quality audio.

Also give Dark Messiah Might and Magic a try, it started development as Arx Fatalis 2 but ended up as a spin off Might and Magic game, many elements of Arx Fatalis appear in DMMM but are better refined, especially the combat, but unfortunately not the non linear progression is cut completely, and the open ended interaction is only used within the games combat system.

Hint: You can buy beer off the Tizzy the barmaid by activating your coin purse and then activating Tizzy.

Can we please get the Mac and Linux version as well? The Windows version doesn't run under Wine.

It's a glorified tech demo and they are keeping it shitty like that for the memes.

It's sad this still isn't close to being done. It's decent as is but just doesn't have enough to keep me playing.

I feel like it's going to be another Overgrowth situation.

It was plenty easy. The difficulty it had was intentional as a small way to incorporate player skill and concentration into the casting system.

Do you know of any worthwhile fanmaps for it?

there's a reason Chess is turnbased :^)

Yeah… Because it was made in the past before computers were invented.

because it was created in the sixth fucking century nigga if you wanted to play a real time game you had to play a sport

cut yourself

welp looks like ill pick it up again, thanks

This. Anvil of Dawn rules.

this game's fucking awful

OK, looks like the source code is actually available for this game:
github.com/TurningWheel/Barony
I was able to compile it, but it crashes at startup when it tries loading items. Maybe is an older version of the game that's incompatible.

I've been playing Delver a bit.
Even though it's basically Minecraft Dungeons: The game, I play it alongside Barony pretty regularly.

Barony is all right but it has a fair share of problems. The speed is fun but it just becomes a "1 shot enemies and turbo through the level in search of food before you starve" in the end.

Get good you pathetic fucking scrub

How is it? Does it have a better late game than Barony?

youtu.be/Bzrap8Vtyq8?t=7s

Hwut?
Got a download link because coop dungeon crawling sounds comfy as fuck.

Bless you gentle user, allow me to make love to you as payment for your good deed

Please do

Found the issue, the line endings of all text files have to be changed to Unix line endings instead of DOS ones. I also had to copy over the file with the male and female player names from the repository for some reason.

Installing this shit now, I wanna give coop a shot too.

What political thing did the creator of Barony do wrong that he's not worth giving money to?

Just wondering.

(checked)
Shit I hate to do this, but what's the source? I've completely forgotten about it, I have a weebum of it somewhere but I can't find it.

It really just gives a greater margin for error when drawing runes which the original implementation sorely lacks.

I'd need some serious proof that the difficulty was intentional, it just looks to be a limitation of the technology at the time.

I remember meridian 59, damn that's a long time ago.

Yeah, if he's an SJW fuck him.

I'm definitely buying it.

I plan to buy it when its closer to being done
Or maybe when its got magic
Still its meant to be a sort of test for another game they're doing thats open world

DOOM

there is map though. the self drawing as you progress kind.

I'd say Hexen is better.

Muh niggra. Also new Hexen / Heretic when?

The closest I can think of is Ziggurat.

This

only one nigga here really gets it. for my money wiz8 is the best dungeon crawler ever made

Has anything interesting happened with this since the source code was released?

I remember playing Heretic 2 with a friend… it was ok but the mistique of the original game was lost.
It never truly was a dungeon crawler, only a fantasy Doom.

Does Dungeon Siege qualify?

it is much more simple mechanically than Barony

I tried it and could not even get into the dungeon before I had to close it and wipe it from my harddrive. I have a smaller monitor and it still looked like I was staring into a bin of oversized toddler Lego blocks. It's fucking hideous and legitimately made me nauseous looking at the screen and trying to figure out what the hell I was looking at. This has got to be the best possible example of "indie pixel shit" I've seen in years.

Arx Libertatis is a complete source port
arx-libertatis.org/

If you're going to do this go with 4, anything less tends to feel a little plodding and directionless, can't speak for Shadow Tower though.

Jesus fuck I'm still on the first original Kings Field game. Does it actually get this spooky in 2?

Played this years ago. It's hard to imagine a DnD game on the xbox being good but this was great.

Then how would you play old 3D games like Dungeon Keeper 2?

If it does, so would Dungeon Lords.

Dungeon Lords is actually pretty fun.

I'm actually re-playing that now. Can't believe how shit I was at this game as a kid.

Don't even fucking compare DK2 with this trash. DK2 had low res uninterpolated textures but rendered on clearly defined 3D models. Everything in Delver looks like a 16^2 sprite scaled to fill the whole screen for a retarded attempt at "retro" which ends up looks worse than anything in the 16-bit era ever did.

I am working on a game akin to that description, if that interests anyone

Wouldn't technically System Shock 1 and 2 fit into this category as well?

Dungeon Master and its follow-up Chaos Strikes Back, I guess. Amiga version is technically best (better sound, can drink directly from fountains, etc.)

The engine only cares about angles, however making the rune drawing easier really helps with combat.

Now since this is the best time to ask what the fuck is the beast, and what the fuck happens to the Trolls and Goblins? The Trolls prove to be smart enough to read a complicated economics book and then we don't get anything about that going, and the beast is a complete mystery.

i had a lot of fun with dark alliance 1 and 2, but i dont know if id say theyre THE BEST.
same goes for gauntlet legends, if that counts. didnt play dark legacy, but some anons seem to like it.