Dungeons & Dragons

What were the best D&D games? The last one I played was Sword Coast Legends, which was a super rushed NWN/roguelike Lite with a DM mode that was buggy as fuck.

It was too bad, given a year of dev time or more could've been one of the best D&D games of all time.

Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/8042655/The_Temple_Of_Elemental_Evil-FLT
co8.org/community/index.php?threads/the-circle-of-eight-mod-pack-a-step-by-step-download-guide.1819/#post-132739
acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/RTWP:
social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-1/NwN-1-Technical-Support-Self-help-for-all-versions-and-expansions/Installing-NWN1-for-Win7vista-including-patch-links-for-all-OS--3341490-1.html
nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Windows
gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/why_is_my_characters_skin_silver
radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm
gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/videos_and_cutscenes
mirror.aleturo.com/Games/NWN/
social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-1/NwN-1-General-Discussion-Forum-No-Spoilers-Allowed/UNOFFICIAL-links-to-redownload-previously-purchased-Premium-modules-4746466-1.html
neverwinternights.info/index.htm
neverwinternights.info/p170.htm
neverwinternights.info/nwncx.htm
web.archive.org/web/20141123113403/http://forum.bioware.com/topic/129767-installing-nwn1-for-win7vista-including-patch-links-for-all-os/
web.archive.org/web/20150918065509/http://forum.bioware.com/topic/128288-add-ons-tips-from-the-nwn-community/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dungeons and Dragons? More like DILDOS AND DORKS!!
Hahahaaaa, LOSERS!!

Best how? Most faithful mechanics interpretation, most comfy? Most fun?

Give me your funniest games kiddo.

Icewind Dale I & II

Comfy as fuck

why must you hurt me so

last d&d games i played was heroes and dark alliance, also i want a good game that i can play as lizardfolk and dragonborn.

Shadow Over Mystara for the Arcade.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2

Bitch, please. You think I'm some kind of a comedian?

the first dark alliance is better, 2 collapses in on itself after act 2

I got my hands on a copy of pic related, but haven't had a chance to actually play it yet. It looks like a gauntlet clone. I have no idea if it's actually good.

I like the customization and length of 2. DA1 felt way too short.

I would play the fuck out of that with you. Got my OG Xbox hooked up right now

I always had a soft spot in my heart for NWN and Aribeth the stupid whore. But NWN2 gave me the shits with their obisidian tier buggyness, changing shit that didn't even need changing in the first place. "hur dur, first thing we do is remove the radial menu system, change the inventory system, and make the camera option fucking retarded."

fucking idiots.

Some topnotch cancer you just displayed there aside, one could say the same about the changes made between aurora and infinity. Hey, let's introduce a gimmicky radial menu that serves memes over function, replace the hand drawn paperdolls with eyeshredding early 3D and force everyone to play with this limiting, close up camera that only makes you take a closer look at all the low poly and low res assets.

thats because it was designed around 1-4 party system. Not 6-8 party system. If you want your paperdolls so much you can always play those kickstarter games :)

I know it's technically a crpg thread but that's no excuse to roleplay a goon.

Every spell Bioware added to NWN was overpowered, they should have kept the tabletop game as is with no changes.

Ez.

Yeah but NWN2 had the warlock. Best class ever.

Isn't that the one that came out as unplayable and needed a million fixes before it worked?

i miss the good days

ToEE is a buggy mess. You'll need to mod/patch it.

That being said, its the closest you'll ever get to strict 3.5e rules interpretation and a straight dungeon crawl in one game.

If you wanted a crpg, there are plenty of others. If you want DnD, specifically 3.5, ToEE is a good fit, assuming you've already played NWN.

Good thing mod exist.

can't the lich just transform into something with a cock? Polymorph is only a 4th level spell. what's with the snarky bitches? Dominate or Charm are both basic bitch spells, plus Polymorph can turn some homely bush-pig into a beautiful maiden, plastic surgery without the surgery.

also, aren't liches immune to level drain? he can summon a succubus to suck his dick and doesn't need to worry about her stealing his soul, or money.

whoever wrote that pasta doesn't really understand that magic is…you know, fucking magic. a wizard capable of turning himself into a lich would have had his 'muh dik' needs covered since level 1.

its old /tg/ caps. the premise was two liches use each other for phylacteries, and everybody mistakes them for gay.

Here's a better one.

Temple of Elemental Evil WITH the fan-made – over 10 years time – Circle of Eight (version 8?) patch is this single best AD&D experience You can get.

The setting is comfy, the dungeon is fierce, it has crafting for magic items and the best waifu comes with a holy sword.

thepiratebay.org/torrent/8042655/The_Temple_Of_Elemental_Evil-FLT

co8.org/community/index.php?threads/the-circle-of-eight-mod-pack-a-step-by-step-download-guide.1819/#post-132739

You forgot Temple+, fagtits.

Greyhawk is gay though.

Rpgfags had to live with forgotten realms and its sword coast for centuries so it's not that bad.

what's the difference?

Greyhawk doesn't have drizzle fo shizzle.

Just give me a mediocre NWN3 without bioware/obsidian bullshit liberal agenda and let me die… Please!

Why, the previous two weren't exactly good.

I've played that and it's alright. Way better than I was expecting it to be at least.

In my case they were enough good. Yeah, they had the cliches, they had some annoying bugs, but hell it was pefect after a hard day.
The expansions and mods made them even better with time.
But now? Now what i have? Liberal kickstarter bullshits or Diablo clones…

I can't feed my nostalgia with the same shits over and over again. I beg only for a half-cooked bone to drop… Is it too much in this hell?

maybe somehow the new pathfinder crpg will be good.

It's already confirmed to be rtwp.

I just want another D&D game like NWN, where you make your own character, a DM makes a module, and you play it. Give it a single player campaign written by Chris Perkins or something, maybe some AcqInc fuck you I like it campaign DLC with Jim Darkmagic rolling through, and enough mod tools and forward compatibility re: rendering options that shit isn't fucked in a decade's time like the other two NWNs.

there's literally nothing wrong with rtwp

you're the ones making the claim it's bad, you have to tell me why

I can just point out to IE games, NWNs and their combat.

are you retarded?

Aren't you making a claim here?

no, you are by implying it's bad

how will I ever recover.

fuck I'll take the engine source code.

what?

what?
>If you work with UMTS,'ve probably heard someone talk about RTWP. Its definition can be found in a dictionary of acronyms, such as acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/RTWP: Received Total Wideband Power.

Holy shit, I think that the Adventure Time logo may be a parody of the D&D logo wooooow

Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal is the best DnD game and RPG of all time.

inb4butthurtcontrarianvirgindweebs

Gonna repost my NWN1 pasta.
Installing the game

First, you actually want to get NWN, so go torrent NWN Diamond edition from Piratebay or something, this is generally the one you want, you don't want to piss about wuth DLing NWN stanalone then the expansions.

Win7 user will have trouble with installastion, so you need to follow this guide in order to ensure you don't mess up:

social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-1/NwN-1-Technical-Support-Self-help-for-all-versions-and-expansions/Installing-NWN1-for-Win7vista-including-patch-links-for-all-OS--3341490-1.html

nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Windows

You may also suffer from issues involving non playing cutscenes in the start of campaign chapers when playing or chrome/silver skin at character creation.

The chrome skin issue is usually fixed by simply installing the critical rebuild 1.69 patch found here:

gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/why_is_my_characters_skin_silver

The non playing cutscene issue is caused by a number of different problems, but the first thing you must do is install Bink, found here:

radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm (First DL link)

Here are some sites which can usually help you fix this issue.

gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/videos_and_cutscenes

Using this is how I fixed my Non playing cutscens issue in NWN, however, so it's probably this one.

mirror.aleturo.com/Games/NWN/

Additionally, disable the shiny water option sound ingame, it's a shit, causes savegame bloat and crashes.

Now that you've pretty much installed NWN Diamond edition patched it and made sure you've got no issues, It's time to install the Premium modules, which you can find here:

social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-1/NwN-1-General-Discussion-Forum-No-Spoilers-Allowed/UNOFFICIAL-links-to-redownload-previously-purchased-Premium-modules-4746466-1.html

Download and intstall all of these.

So now, you've pretty much got all of the Vanilla content. Save for Darkness over Daggerford, which was cancelled.

You might also want a fan made module on what happens between Shadows of Unrentide and Hordes of the Underdark, plenty of those on the neverwinter vault.

Community patches/gameplay improvements

Here I will list mods that are to NWN what the Unofficial Oblivion patch is to Oblivion, you'll want to download these for sure.

neverwinternights.info/index.htm

Community Patch

neverwinternights.info/p170.htm

A community patch for all those nasty bugs 1.69 didn't fix.

Also will merge data in you .2da folders togther rather tha overrite if you place them in a folder and run a batch file, so it works with just about anything, includign any installations of the PRC or other modifications you may have installed.

Lastly, there's the PRC, which is a mod that injects a buttload of D&D 3.5 classes and a shitload of other stuff for choice at character creation, amongst other things, such as sub-races that if you name at the begining of character creation, will be seen as their own race.

Before installing the PRC (And most mods anyway) you want this:

neverwinternights.info/nwncx.htm

NWNCX extends what NWN can actually do, and is needed to select the PRC base classes at character creation.

Lastly you want something called Leto 1.69 PRC edition I think, for editing PRC characters and stuff.

Honestly, this is taken from an old guide I wrote on the subject as much has changed on the modding scene since then, as we now have a working mod manager that works in the same fashion as the Mod organiser for bethesda games, which is a godsend compared to drag'n drop Override files to NWN1.

There'd be more links to mods here, but they were all to the old neverwinter vault, whcih shut down and changed to a new site, so they no longer work, and their search engine is piss, so it's hard to fidn the old stuff.

Anyhow, the basic stuff you want is the game fully patched with cutscenes working then the community patch, the PRC being optional if you want it, as you have things like the CEP needed for Custom created modules to play, or persistant servers and whatever.

One more thing, most moduels want these massive fuckass collections of assets, one called the CEP, and the other Project q.

Get both, and also get the CEP 2.1 (An older version) as some modules use it, such as a Hunt through the dark, a popular series of Drow modules.

Oh right, and put the game's .exe's in compatiblity. for windows XP and run as Admin, that's one of the most important things.

There's also a Mod manager for installing mods now, which you can find on the nexus, it's a bit buggy now, but the author is open to bug report submissions.
It's a lot better than the manual method, anyhow.

Archived links:
web.archive.org/web/20141123113403/http://forum.bioware.com/topic/129767-installing-nwn1-for-win7vista-including-patch-links-for-all-os/
web.archive.org/web/20150918065509/http://forum.bioware.com/topic/128288-add-ons-tips-from-the-nwn-community/
IT goes

You've also got Leto PrC to get, and the mod manager, found on the nexus, it';s buggy, so lend the creator a hand with reports, but it's good for the mods.

Additionally, the nexus has a monster replacer override which is decent and makes mobs look better though it didn't go into .2da files so there are some models you can't really use, get it anyway.

As for BG:EE or the Original, here's what I've got installed, all are pretty much good from what I can tell of their use. If you use original, you should look at the Merger mod for all games under BG.

Also, the reason for BG2 tweaks being used in BGEE is because the merger of all the Tweak/fixes mods, has an issue with giving some options found in older fixes/tweak mods.

Also, I'm in the process of modding NWN2 right now, so maybe I'll have a guide for that in the future, It's mostly texture changes/fixes though + installation of that nexus merger of a PrC mod and some other things.

As you would, pirate BGEE, and ignore SOD entirely.

I've got an issue trying to play NWN1. After quicksaving several times, the thumbnail preview image for the save in the Save/Load screen seems to degenerate and the save eventually becomes unloadable until I go into the folder and delete the thumbnail file

DDO FITE ME.

That game did not age well at all.

These 2 are the best.

Ravenloft Lords of Stone and Strahd's Possession are pretty badass.

lmao butchered AD&D, rtwp and bioware writing, characters and plot
bg2 is shit #sorrynotsorry

AD&D 2E is the best edition. Prove me wrong. Protip 1st might be better

I just found an old box for NWN2 Gold and the Storm of Zehir expansion and it reminded me of how much I tried to l like that game but never could. Anyone got any tips? I always give up in boredom by the time I'm in Neverwinter.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I kind of disagree with you, I like 3.0 better and I'll explain why.

For some fucking stupid reason, people could never wrap their heads around this system. Probably because it was explained very poorly to players. What they SHOULD have said in the manual was "take your thac0, and subtract your opponent's armor class, and that's the roll you have to get to hit" but instead they explained it indirectly. Also the problem with their 10 to -10 armor class system was that gods and demigods (such as the Tarrasque) had to have a special rule written for them where if their ac was -10 and their Thac0 was written as -1 it would require a natural 20 to score a hit on them. Spells had such a humongous chance to bounce off of his hide. I get it, I do, they wanted to create something that not even an epic level character could defeat, the whole idea was that Tarrasque has killed gods, he was the creation of the gods during the war of the gods to serve as a weapon at the beginning of creation, and then he slew most of the gods including his creators. Nice lore, nice idea. But don't make fucked up rules stipulations to suit that.

The guys who converted the Greyhawk campaign setting from 2nd to 3rd fucked EVERYTHING up. But as a GM you can fix EVERYTHING yourself. When it boils down to it, the only piece of the D&D rules that is set in stone is the six ability scores (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) that you write die rolls as xdy+z. You can change pretty much any part of it and keep it mostly compatible with any other module/version of the game (with some slight tweaking here and there).

This contrasts to 2nd edition where much of the rules were written very stringently with fixed values and relied on all the other rules.

I disagree with you about the Tarrasque example. It is a monster at the very end of the difficulty scale, which makes it something that very few games would ever have the potential too see anyway, which makes it something of an irrelevant point. Besides that, it's more of a common sense test. It only has animal-level intelligence and all it does it cause some destruction in the area around it with its bare hands, so in practice, you only need to worry about coming up with a solution to keeping it safely contained for the week or so it's awake. Give it a few cows to eat and a dummy village to smash while helping people stay out of its way, which isn't hard, since at its fastest (Rushing, not regular speed), it only moves as fast as a buffalo.

Also disagree. The rules are modular and provide you with options. Straight out of the Dungeon Master's Guide, initiative, for example, can be done three different ways. A simple roll-off for each side, a roll-off with modifiers, or the more familiar individual initiative. It then gives more options on how to handle initiative for characters that get multiple attacks per round. The book is littered with greyed out sections of additional rules and it's an open invitation to make up your own. What exactly are you talking about?

fuggin.

I CAN DANCE ON THE HEAD OF A PIN AS WELL

I haven't played icewind dale or baldur's gate, but ill tell you that NWN1 is the best one, largely because you can just download new campaigns
SoU+HotU is already a pretty good playthrough, but Aielund is a very nice module too, and takes you to a much higher level than HotU, but unfortunately not 40
theres also other custom-made modules, including a popular NSFW one, and some more story-driven modules with low amounts of action
and if thats not enough for you, theres online multiplayer, which can be played on completely custom-made rules that can even be HEAVILY modded in terms of gameplay

also NWN1 has some nice music, and you can get maybe 1000 hours or more of entertainment out of it if you like it

but does it have Jan Jansen?

I liked 3.0 and 3.5

I heard 5.0 was basically 3.6, is that true?

It had great ideas(dungeons with puzzles and traps) but since the dungeons were static. You could never be a frontline scout/trapfinder, because everyone knew where everything was already.

first time I played this I thought the water looked so fucking good for some reason
spent ages just looking at it. after playing 10 + year old games on a toaster it was just something else

5 is pretty bland. I guess its like 3.5 but without the bullshit. But its the bullshit that made 3.5 somewhat unique.I'm not really a fan of either though.
In my opinon every edition after 2 had a vastly different vision than the older editions that isn't quite to my taste. And i'm not some nostalgiafag, my first time playing D&D was with 4th edition.

When gauging the quality of graphics, I always look at water, fire, and grass.

i want a __ dragon_ dildo

Atari forbid Obsidian from releasing updates to the game

Nice spic horn, Kevin.

I think the reason why D&D is so poorly received is because it's overall media attention is bland stale and awful, reading up on what's on offer in D&D settings is a fucking wonderful experience, and it's an awful shame it's never been put to practice properly.

Like, looking up Dragonlance and you'd get very little, which is bizarre as I looked into DL and found fucking cooking recipies, poetry, even bloody songsheets which NO ONE has ever orchestrated or published online, at best like one song about Lord Soth and the opening theme to the mediocre DL film. It simply seems they can't get their stuff out there, and I realize it's because no one has any modern media attention to it, there are barely any fully modded NWN playthroughs, or channels dedicated to NWN modules, BG videos without mods, or people messing around with interesing commentaries and such, no one making 3d Replications of D&D characters in other games as dressup, and the like.

It feels as if there's an initial effort to advertising which is missing from the franchise.

Sadly, DnD, and by extension pretty much all tabletop stuff, is swamped with hipster faggotry from top to bottom thanks to people like Will Wheaton so don't expect anything but cursory interest and half assed effort regarding any kind of adaptations, official or otherwise.
Even captcha agrees.

good

Is D&D on Tabletop Simulator a thing? I never see anyone try to organize any game sessions using it.

Why does thos keep happening? I swear shit like this makes me wish there was one good phblisher that would swoop in and not fuck Obsidian over.

Its like.

What, are their not enough ultragigakikes in Obsidian or something.

There's dedicated software for running role-playing games (Maptools, Roll20 if you don't mind poz…) so Tabletop Simulator isn't really necessary.

Yeah, and they're shit at what they do. Which is why I was asking if anyone uses TTS for it instead.

Temple of Elemental Evil with Temple +

Dragon's Dogma ;^)

2nd edition was great because the experience tables allowed for more interesting multiclasses without being cucked as in baldur's gate.

Greyhawk was Gary Gygax's love child and existed in 1st edition. Faggot Realms was created by marketing jews pandering post-common-sense era newblets like you.

FR was good when it started, but the constant coverage and fluff has it at 400+ books and 5 fucking editions worth of supersaturated lore that has tied it's laces and fallen down on itself in an everlasting casualty loop.

I wished Obsidian didn't make tyranny stupid and gay because the combat system and spell crafting was really polished. I literally made MK's Raiden in that game just running around like a sperg punching people into gibblets with the power of the thundergod and godly pre-battle buffing and occasionally throwing thunderbolts around.

I guarantee you everyone involved in any redeemable part of that game has already been fired.

Yeah, if I was a rich capitalist, this would be prime time to scoop up massive talents that are discarded in favour of SJW employees and create the second golden age of cRPGs.

Depends, do you mean the OC or SOZ. Both are very different.
The OC is just shit and nothing can fix it except a Neeshka romance and SOZ had some interesting ideas with shit implementation. If only they made it more like M&B and let you hire a team of soldiers to take over areas of the map.
Imagine an SOZ style NWN game where you can conquer the world, travel the planes and then become a god? Because NEVER EVER.

That is exactly how its explained on the very first page of the combat chapter in the players handbook. I think people not getting THAC0 is a meme.

the OC because I can't bring myself to play the expansions without playing the base game first.

>>>/a/

DUDE there are some grea DnD DOS games available on GOG.

I personally recommend Darksun, only the first though.

It's a serious grind that's not really worth it. Literally all your items and special feats disappear once you get to MOTB anyway. The only thing you keep are "History feats" that show the history of your character.
Just read this spoiler and move onto MOTB. You beat the mystery villain, the King of Shadows but not before he kills most of your home town, the shards in your chest are from the Silver Sword of Gith, the mystery killer in Neverwinter was Ammon Jerro who was a good guy all along. Luskan was behind a lot of stuff too.
There, you are free to move onto MOTB.
SOZ also requires new characters or it'll be very boring, you play four level 1 adventurers.
You are playing as a bard right?

The first one (Shattered Lands) is great, but the sequel (Wake of the Ravager) shits on Dark Sun lore and is the buggiest game I've ever played.

I played a monk because I thought I would breeze through things quicker. is the game better played as a bard? I know a lot of these single player RPG, especially the shitty Bioware ones, seem to have a class the game is really intended to be played as.

Bard is a master of all trades
If you're playing a monk, you are taking the sacred fist prc right? It can let you stack light armour and monk AC as well as giving you cleric spells.

I played a Grey Orc and multiclassed with cleric, yeah. though it was mostly for movement bonuses. I didn't get very far before giving up in boredom though.

Just skip the OC, it's not worth it.
Seriously, it's making you miss out on the best parts.

[First spoiler] had as bad amateur voice acting for her as a kick to the balls is painful. Spare yourself the misery.

I don't usually say something like that but Pozzfinder is cucked to hell and the mechanics are worse than 3.5. I really don't think a game based on it will be any good.

No edition was really good. The best thing that came out of D&D are games that combine old and new editions.

To be honest, I probably just miss Annah. She basically started the whole tiefling female thief romance subplot.