Can someone explain to me why there's two versions of Nier with two different protagonists? Which one is the real Nier...

Can someone explain to me why there's two versions of Nier with two different protagonists? Which one is the real Nier, so to speak?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/pAOl
archive.is/1mqv4
youtu.be/JZxyzqbw5kE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

One on the left is the western version where he's the dad to Yonah, the one on the left is the JP version where he's the brother to Yonah. The developers thought the Japs would respond better to a younger and less rugged protagonist. It changes some text and some lines, but the story is ultimately the same.

fuck me, it should be the one on the right is the JP version*.

How new are you?
In the west the father daughter bond is strong
In japan the oniichan imouto bond is strong

reported

Papa Nier was the Xbox version, Big Bro Nier was the PS3 version. The reason is the devs figured PS3 owners would be better able to relate to someone younger while 360 owners would be able to relate better to an older, more mature character. When it was translated, we only got Papa Nier because they figured westerners would like Papa Nier better all around and they were right.

So technically there isn't a right choice, but Papa Nier is superior unless you're a fag.

Because I don't want to play as some queer.

That's actually pretty interesting. Makes me wonder which one came first, though.

Are you saying I can't play as buff Nier with a nogamestation 3? Fuck this.

You can, but only if you're not in Japan. Both the PS3 and 360 version in NA and EU are old Nier, only in Japan is the PS3 version young Nier.

I believe the originally planned version was with Papa Nier, with Replicant being an afterthought. As for the actual release dates I think they were pretty much simultaneous.

Read past the first sentence you cunt.

Holy shit, another multiplay way worse on ps3.

Other way around user, Taro has said the young one was actually the original version,
Here's the original interview where he says this:
archive.is/pAOl
And here's an article not in moonrunes that basically translates what he says in it:
archive.is/1mqv4

With Automata's Colosseum dlc getting brother nier costumes for 9S and A2, Replicant is basically confirmed as the canon nier.

Oh that's interesting, I just assumed it was the other way since the first footage they revealed was of Papa Nier.

Papa Nier is superior. The last thing we need in a Japanese game is another effeminate young-adult fagboy.

He still looks like a complete faggot, just one that is 10 years older and got /fit/.

How are you faggots still not getting this?

Or, you know, they gave the outfit worn by the effeminate Nier to effeminate characters.

So that's why all YoRHa soldiers are all girls and little boys? I was paying attention to any detail that would explain this in-game but it seems they were only so so that the player would feel more strongly toward their safety.

A lot of the story is gay. Fun fact: Emil was 100% gay for Nier, both young and papa Nier and wanted to marry him. Thats in the japanese games and 100% reconfirmed by Taro.

Why does Nier tell Yonah that Kainé is built in all the right places? Does he like futa cock?

They'd probably put it on Adam and Eve anyway.

Both. There's some side material that references them both existing, but it's arguable if it's canon.
Bro-nier was first and fits Taro's original vision (of commentary of brother-sister relationships in otaku media), but Papa-nier's father-daughter bond resonates better with western audiences.
Really though, it's a minor point. Whichever Nier you went on a journey with is your Nier and that's all that matters. He's 99% a self insert.

Isn't that just Drakengard? Also technically those costumes shouldn't exist because Nier has been erased from existence. Well, I guess his clothes might still exist now I think about it…

Devola says that, not Nier.
Probably.

Side material also references Noctedgehog and his father from FF15.

nah, it's both. They kind of circle in on each other pretty closely and some theories have it swirling around that the watchers and machine network are one and the same.

They were both released in Japan, the west only got the dad though.

he's clearly the best anyway

Tertiary cuckchan thread. I swear i've seen thousands of nier threads already. Sage report and hide

You've seen thousands of Nier Automata threads. This thread is about OG Nier, you fucking retard.

I'll just leave it here
nier.wikia.com/wiki/The_Red_and_the_Black

Are there not multiple places in the world, each with their own Devola and Popola, and don't the stories of Bro and Papa Nier take place during two different times at least a few decades apart? I'm pretty sure both stories are canon, in the same timeline, and took place in different areas.

I'd much rather have a Caim outfit and also a Zero outfit.

Except that was part of a collaboration thing. The weapon stories referencing Bro/Papa Nier are not collab bullshit.

It seems that AM goes off of Ending E for Nier actually. Which was in the light novel Grimoire Nier. In short Kaine is there for the destruction of the Replicant system which shits out a child Nier before getting blown up. Case in point, in AM Emil references Nier indirectly a few times.

I just finished NieR for the first time and got Ending B, should I go back for NG+ or can I move straight on to Automata? I've been itching to play it.

Finish the game you fucking casual

All games are casual, that's why they're games.

Finish the game till it forces you to delete all your hard work and get some feels from that scene.

Get all the weapons to unlock endings C and D. You can move on to Automata once you've done D.

Papa Nier = Not a fag

Oniichan Nier = Fag

Brother Nier IS technically a faggot, he had to go whore himself for his little sister.

Which one is that?

The same one where she later literally rapes the corpse of a recently-deceased guy who looks like brother-Nier, in front of said guy's younger sister

Just give me the fucking title, I aint reading all of them.

An optional dlc with no story-relevance makes something canon or not canon?

Amazing brain-acrobatics there, buddy.

Actually papa Nier's costume not appearing means that he might as well never existed, which pretty much confirms him as a cannon. You should realize it if you got through ending D.

he did the WRPG and JPRG protag joke
he was truly ahead of his time

I fucked up, I forgot they were separate stories
Banquet of the Witch (embed)

Drama CD - Disc 2 Trk 2
youtu.be/JZxyzqbw5kE

Well Shota Nier sold his ass for cash for his sister so I guess he is the real one. I'd fuck him too.

Because to many Japan is simply a country of fish and rice eating midgets who don't have a lot of sexual dimorphism.
As such a gruff large man resonates more with the a-typical western male power fantasy of being Conan the Barbarian.
Both Niers are very derivative in their own special way that make them highly appealing to the sensibilities of specific markets.
I mean Westerns have babies, How would the Japanese be able to relate?

Fuck off McIntosh. The reason westerners prefer male characters who look like actual men and not teenage girls is because we have testosterone. Men who look like teenage girls do not deserve respect.

Touhou

Does anywhere have these things with subtitles?

also japanese are going to often look at 'gruff muscled guy' as bara, so it looks as gay to them as the skinny shonen dude does to us