Mario Kart 8 storytime

With the impending release of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Switch, I'm reminded of one of the most tumultuous video game purchases I've ever made with the very first Mario Kart 8 which was released back on May 28th, 2014.

Sit back and relax. I got a story to tell.

As some of you may know, there were actually two versions of Mario Kart 8 released around the world: The regular and the deluxe edition.

The deluxe edition consisted of the game and a big plastic replica blue shell with display stand. Nothing too fancy.

However, whereas Europe and Japanese consumers were able to simply pre-order and buy from any regular retailer, the North American edition was exclusive to only one store: Nintendo World in New York City.

As bullshit as this was, I had figured that, by purchasing plane tickets to New York to buy the game, I would actually be saving myself more money than by buying straight from a scalper.

And I'd also get an adventure out of it as well.

So, I took the plunge, booked a flight, and made reservations at some guy's apartment on Airbnb for one night.

Either.
1. OP meets a fat, annoying Nintenyearold
2. OP gets mad pussy
3. OP sees someone have a mental breakdown
4. OP is held at gunpoint and robbed
5. OP meets someone famous
6. OP makes a heartwrenching story with a shitpost at the end

Let's see how this goes.

Man, I thought I was autistic for flying to japan for a Virtual On tournament and going arcade hoping for a week.

Inside the Nintendo World store, the entire place was decked out with Mario Kart 8 decals, racing flags, and demos set up for passing customers and tourists. I had arrived the night before at around 12 or 1AM and, by that point, there were about 9 or 10 people in line. Many were ready for the venture outside in Rockefeller Center with coats, chairs, and blankets while all I had was a backpack with spare clothes.

I also learned the hard way that New York still has cold ass temperatures in May. Whereas in Oklahoma, late May is hot as hell, it's still about 50 degrees outside in NYC.

I spent the better part of the night freezing my ass off and waiting for daylight.

The Nintendo World store also had the scale model hoverkart that was present at E3 the previous year. However, the model was barred off from anyone who wanted to sit in it.

According to staff, the model had actually developed a hairline crack on the seat due to the weight of some of the game journalists who posed for pictures on it, and they didn't want to damage it any further.

nigga I thought this thread was gonna be about that time travel theory someone had about Metal Mario and Dry Bowser

By about noon, the line was now beginning to pick up, and the colorful characters that these events attract started to show up.

The next couple of posts will show pictures of the line.

The next photographs were taken inside Nintendo World.

The two last photos are the back of the infamous Gulf War Game Boy, showing that the back was relatively unscathed, unlike the front of the console.

story is slow user

And so, the moment finally arrived when the game went on sale at 8PM that night. By that point, the line had stretched around the city block, and there had to be 500-600 people tops to get the game.

Sure enough, a good portion of these games went for sale on eBay the next day. I have no doubt that there are people in New York City who make a side-hustle of buying these rare and exclusive items and flipping them immediately.

So what did I all get aside from the game?

I got, like, three keychains, a lanyard, a sticker sheet, the Hori Mario wheel…

And I also got this T-shirt.

And the folks over there gave me a 20% discount after I mentioned that I came so far away just for this, so I essentially got the T-shirt for free.

Any questions?

Why the fuck do people give out lanyards??

I hate that people think they're collectable or some shit.

can you put your trip back on so I can filter you, rob?

That's mildly heart warming.

Because their cheap to produce and always sell just by having a popular brand name slapped onto it

Sage for double post, but I have a question:

When does this story become worth my time reading it? Where's the shocking truth? Was the box empty? Did the Nintendo Store lace your tshirt with anthrax?

I hope so, because this thread blows so far.

At what point did you realize you lost control of your life?

Why did you make this thread? I thought something funny was gonna happen but it was literally blogposting.

blogposting is okay as long as you autistically roleplay as a nintendo toy, according to mark

lmfao kid

get to the fucking point potato

I'm sorry you're not entertained.

I suppose shortly after this. I've since moved and joined the military to get something done with my life. Now I work in law enforcement while being a Guard member, so now I'm not a total sack of shit.

I still play video games, though.

You are, but at least you have good taste

This meme is 6 years old now.
Old enough to go to school.
Fuck me.

I'm glad you got it.

I feel that anyone that gets ahead of you in life, you must smite them with that holy spiked azure relic.

ROB-sama you were in JEW York City, that's what the jews do.

Was it worth it?

The guy's been getting a hyper-inflated ego lately and nobody with any pull is willing to keep him in check. People somehow know it's him in the Splatoon general and are sucking him off as he screams at people for being apprehensive about paid online.

That's fucking it? Why the fuck did you make this thread you worthless shitstain?

that's what happens when you let name/trip/avatarfags run rampant. every single time.