Grimoire is supposedly finished

Are we living in the last days of mankind?

For those of you who haven't heard of Grimoire yet, it's an old wizardy/might and magic/ect style dungeon crawler that has been in development for decades, all done by a crazy perfectionist Australian man. It has been in development so long its initial announcement can only be found by the Wayback Machine. Not because nobody covered it, but because it was so long ago it predates every video game news site still in existence.

Other urls found in this thread:

vault-co.blogspot.com/
grimdarkly.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/steam-greenlight-imminent/
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-golden-baby-flaps-its-wings-grimoire-demo-released.80680/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=893772412
steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/893772412/133261124633973403/
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-did-sir-tech-go-bankrupt.53695/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Are you a Jehovah's Witness?

WHAT A YEAR FOLKS

Good news, though. I'm sure his newphew posted a couple months back that it'd be out this year. Thought it was more bullshit.

Wat.

It was "supposedly finished" back when he released the demo. No way it's over so soon.

FUCKING WHY?

That's the Cleve Blakemore, the crazy developer, through a voice filter.

But why choose such a horrible filter?
Background music plus the text would be more than enough.

Blakemore is Illillillia level crazy, but he's also belligerent about it. He spergs out because he knows it pisses you off.

Does it have attention to detail ?

God, that camera turn shit is fucking disorienting.
this is 2D faking a sense of 3D? well, seeing how much time this game has being in the oven, i don't think we can put against it, it's basically a game from 1997.

Actually, it's more like 1987, which is when the development began.

Thank fucking Christ
This I can get around
Thanks

You can turn it off.

I thought this day would never come.

The game will be shit.

this is a fucking time capsule.
though i saw some dykes and furry characters in the trailer.

if turning off means that instantaneous turn from old school dungeon crawlers i prefer the pseudo 3d.

Gotta say though, the game looks very cool, dykes and furry notwithstanding, makes me feel like playing some other FPS dungeon crawlers out there.
Was that last might and magic good?

(checked)
Do you mean X?

Shit, man, I was around to witness his insanity, from building a bunker in the middle of Australia so he can survive the rampage of cannibalistic, flying cyborg niggers to his claims to be a cheetah expert.

That voice is really pissing me off.

I like that there's an actual sky on some of the maps. too many modern tile-based dungeon crawlers tend to take place entirely in dungeons, which devalues the dungeons themselves.

i don't remember which number it was, it was released 1~2 years ago.

You might like this video better.

Yeah, you're talking about X
And no, its garbage and Ubisoft needs to go down.
Play the older ones
Start with 3 if you're not a casual, 6 if you want a more streamlined and good looking entry into the franchise.
Just be wary that most of the shit you'll find will be likely associated with Heroes of M&M.

Heroes is not M&M, its a spinoff, also good, but not M&M aside from some lore.

M&M died at the beginning of the Millenium.

(checked)

What a pity, i played older M&M games more than a decade ago, gonna download some of them from gog and play again.
And yeah, i first played heroes, only after i played i found out about M&M and was extremely confused with drastic change in genre.

The UI is sexy.

It's shit. Grimoire 2 when?

I'm gonna definitely say it's shit in 2047 if there's a thread (or a board to begin). See you then, user.

I lived to see this game getting done. Now i can kill myself in peace.

Oh shit. The Golden Retriever Saga. I wish I hadn't just remembered that. Cleve is funny for the first 50 posts where it seems he's just a loquacious retard with a hangup for Kwanzania or some other stupid shit. Then you realize you're face to face with something that can't be effectively forgotten at all. Never thought I'd use this phrase but the dude's a memetic poison.

good luck

good luck

So it won't be fun then. Got it.

The year to end all years.

So it's closer to 30 years than 20.

And then you realize he's serious about all of it and the dread starts to creep in.

I think he's so memorable because there is nothing quite like him out there. Yes, there are autists, but his marriage of absolute autism and fanatical dedication to his batshit insanity makes him stand out from the sea of other spergs found on the internet.

Him being a meme character in Jagged Alliance 2 doesn't help lessen his notoriety either.

No TempleOS port no buy.

He's like a CWC with at least a hint of talent, no?

He's been making a furry dungeon crawler for the better part of 30 years.

Given what he's shown of the game (at the very least it looks good for a game of its era), it actually seems at the very worst decent. He has plenty of skill, he's just insane.

If that statement starts to chill you after a couple of moments' consideration, then don't be alarmed. A feeling of intense and crushing terror at the concept indicates only that you are still sane.

Oh, God, it's all coming back to me now. Cleve used to claim he's some autistic neanderthal ubermensch. This thread is not good for my mental health.

I get goosebumps on my arms just thinking about him, in his shitty little bunker, coding away year after year while getting progressively more batshit.

Yeah sounds about right for Australia.

But it's not even upside-down :^)

Anyone have some screenshots of this Cleve guy doing what everyone is talking about? This is the first I've heard of him.

Go back to your shitty JRPGs

you know that defines more JRPGs than western ones at this point, right?

The video has a lot of dislikes already.

How does he compare to Derek Smart anyway?

I remember that character in the game and I never knew what the fuck he was on about.

I think he took that from Varg Vikernes' wife of all people.

Those aren't fun either user. Most RPGs are dogshit and everyone knows it.

Your opinion is shit and everyone knows it. ;)

Torrent when?

Fuck this game. It's shit.

Truly God is dead.

I wonder how modable it is.

user I've got the thread for you

uh dropped

I think Cleve mentioned custom portraits were supported, but who knows if that actually got in.

>>>/tg/

I just like making my own maps in dungeon crawlers. I've been spoiled by EO.

poor guy

Then don't check the automap?

You know, it occurs to me…

Says who?

The demo was released for a not-kikestarter campaign.

Most games/movies/etc are shit and everyone knows it. Not an argument.

MELONHEAD SCIENMAGISTS BTFO

Cleveland Mark Blakemore is Green Pill in the fucking flesh. Here is one of his more recent posts on the Codex: (In reply to someone criticizing his beliefs on evolution)

damn did he really get v&?
are they coming for toady next?

Oh wow, that challenge to him was like trying to tackle someone falling into a black hole.

Relax, here's the pitch video he had for indiegogo.

(I honestly wish I'd donated to his campaign, if only for the entertainment this pitch video provided.)

I see why tumblards didn't buy it, he used the term "mentally retarded" – they want you to use PC terms like "mentally challenged." Even Filthy Frank is fucking stupid enough to think that "mentally retarded" is a slur.

The ritual nears completion. I hope this is what finally causes parents to once again shelter their children from the evil of video games.

Ensure the ritual goes as planned. We've invested too much in it to have it fail.

heh
If anything, other games spoil you by making your life easier by way of automapping

That video has been in development for 10 years.

10 years of 1 guy working on a game is equivalent to 1 year of 10 guys, do you niggers not understand man hours?

But the autism of most men is not comparable to that of Cleve Blakemore's.

Does this mean we'll see platform masters finally get a release in 2043?

No, that retard has no actual talent. He just thinks he does.

See you guys in 30 years.
Not even joking.

This one was much better. These extra few years really took a toll on poor Cleve.

Cleve's blog

vault-co.blogspot.com/

grimdarkly.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/steam-greenlight-imminent/

critical mass has been reached for a while now

This looks funa ctually.

Thanks for introducing me to this game I will get it now.

My dong is ready.

I'm gonna wait for the inevitable GOTY Enhaced Edition

See you in 2027.

You're an optimistic one.

So where can you actually get the game?

NEANDERTHALS WERE CHEESE-EATERS

I think OP is full of shit but there's a demo available here: rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-golden-baby-flaps-its-wings-grimoire-demo-released.80680/
I tried playing and it's kinda fun but it crashes whenever I save/load or change options.

Will there ever be another dungeon crawler as good as Wiz 8?

No.

Can you just upload it somewhere? I keep getting a lack of permission error, even with an account when I try to follow the link.

Nevermind, I was clicking the wrong thing.

Whenever I make a party I have to have a Bard/Gadgeteer for their instruments/gadgets and a ranger because I never want to search.

Such a good game I still have no idea how some things were done on the game in regards to the system.

Were you playing with only 5 characters?

6th slot saved for RFS.

Oh.. I played with a full party and Vai and RFS. I needed people to carry my heavy burden of all my equipment.

The only things Wiz 8 needed to be the uncontested GOAT is better offensive magic and a real endgame dungeon. Ascension Peak is a disappointing location to finish the game on.

No thanks. way to ruin your work by doing horrible presentation of it

the trailer on greenlight doesn't have the voices

IT IS ON GREENLIGHT

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=893772412

More like just redpilled about the corruption of science. You probably also believe HIV is the cause of AIDS.

My god.

Hove the mouse over the numbers and then lurk more

Shouldn't I kill myself?

Leave

But I got dubs.

Too bad this aint a dubs thread.

Leave.

That's dedication.

Dubs tells you to go fucking kys.

Absolutely happening.

He's not wrong, though. Gravity isn't truly a force of its own, it's actually just incoherent dielectric acceleration. People reject the message simply because it sounds to crazy to be true. I mean, if my teacher said it was true, and my parents said it was true, then how can it be wrong?

Not entirely
Those 10 guys will spend time making each of the code bits work together without exploding, meanwhile the one man army knows every nook and cranny of the code.
You could also apply the "design by committee" meme to it. Sometimes it's just better to stick to a single vision rather than to a group think tank.

So this is the new "Never Ever" record?

Yes

DID YOU KNOW IT TOOK 20 YEARS TO MAKE?

Ol' Goldies had a tough year.

ANOTHER ANCIENT SEAL IS BROKEN
BY LIRU, FFXV, DUKE NUKEM FOREVER, THE LAST GUARDIAN, AND GRIMOIRE
I CONJUR FORTH THE POWER TO GO BEYOND NEVER EVER
GRANT ME THE POWER OF FOREVER EVER

PC GAMER, I ASK THAT YOU RETROACTIVELY AWARD GAME OF THE YEAR TO GRIMOIRE FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS BECAUSE IT WAS BEING MADE, UNLIKE FUCKING SHIT LIKE DEUS EX, HALF-LIFE 2, AND DRAGON'S DOGMA.

TWO FOURS, THE POWER OF 4EVER

steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/893772412/133261124633973403/

To be specific for the sake of knowing when to look, same day at least.

Wait, are you guys serious?

Is he really a conman ?
The comments kind of make me like him more.

I doubt it, it seems kind of stupid to call releasing a game on Greenlight a "scam" because how do you scam Greenlight? It costs HIM money to put his game on Greenlight, and then if his game is shit, you can refund it.

This is Derek Smart type tactics of harassment, and he's taking the bait so hard, but I don't think he's a "scammer."

Only demo is released?

Good good.

I hope he ends up in jail after murdering the guy who offended him on steam. "I WILL FIND YOUR REAL NAME AND ADDRESS!" sounds promising.

Do you not recognize meta-rpgcodex trolling when you see it?

I love that meme

Am I going to like CoH if I didn't like CoH2?

It looks fantastic but I fear that most of these kids here in Holla Forums won't be able to appreciate it.

forever ever

So what's next?
Half Life 3, WoW shutting down, one of the big 3s dropping out of the console market?

Of course.

I would buy 15 copies of his shit game if he did that.

This looks like shit.

I never told you to kill yourself, maybe you should lurk a little more before trying to greentext, stupid. ;)

Weebs getting BTFO!
why are these people on his throat already?

They are goons, like legit goons.

Why is he taking the bait tho?

He is kind of special, read a little about him.

He sounds like alright guy, invite him here.

Because he's a turboautist.

Because he is a legit Ãœbermensch.

He's like if Toady and Ullillilla had an autistic child.

I hope he doesn't get his own ass banned from steam.

you need to lurk more before posting

Easy (You)s

The Autist will inherent the earth.

His game beat out things like the timecube, he is not just any autist he is the king.

He's already had kids, who've all grown up and left home during the dev cycle of this game.

But

checked, heres your reply

I'm tired of seeing bait like this on every fucking thread, I would permaban half this board if I was Mark.

The game looks unironically boring
The effect when switching the camera or shifting directions is gross
the presentation is bad
the interface is albeit unique not really practical or attractive
the game looks like something that, if it came out 20 years ago, it could be worth a playthrough, but nowadays its just le omg so retro xD
Quality > Content and the author only boasts content
I rather play a fast paced turn based RPG like a fan SMT game or a game like Lisa with fluid gameplay than a clunky game. Strange Journey looks miles better than this. Why play a slow dungeon crawler?

You see, I want to take you seriously but the way you phrased your post reads like bait and I don't know wether you are baiting or stupid.

More importantly, you can have fairy partners.

You forgot Berserk. Also, FOREVER EVER is for when good things happen, so DNF being what it is makes it ineligible for that particular /monster/ maymay.

LUL

Most retards just leave a (1) and done, but it seems like you're driven by a special kind of butthurt.

lmao 1997 so ooooold x)
It was like atari times

It feels like i'm on 2013 pre-exodus cuckchan again.

/hwndu/ brought in a new wave of cuckchanners, hopefully they will assimilate or leave soon.

Thanks for the (you) shill-kun! I'm sure your dead in the water game from 20 years ago will fare better today, when people have no idea it always looked like retarded shit

Watch the dev sperg his soul out for the rest of the evening

Someone is desperate for (You)s

Or we will be forced to migrate again.

Well!
Time to bu 6 and 7.

Grimoire is well-known to be a real game (see: demo) but it's been in production forever and never gotten released despite all the deadlines. People called him a con artist because he took pre-orders and still hasn't delivered years later. This time Cleve is saying the game is honest-to-goodness done (he hasn't said that before, it always had just a few more issues) and throwing it up for greenlight and he's saying he will deliver all on the pre-orders as promised.

As for his entertaining comments, he's a personality, and some people take his shit too seriously and complain he must be nuts. I like this comment of his:

You have to beat the cuckchanners over the head or they won't assimilate though. They're set in their cuckchan ways so if you just call them stupid the cuckchanners would get pissy and tell you you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded and that shitposting (or Holla Forums) is what Holla Forums is all about. A bunch of these fags will also cry that you belong in Holla Forums if you tell them off.

Finally saw a screencap of that thread before it was deleted. Nope. The thread is bullshit. Cleve Blakemore has been trolling forums and usenet for decades so the list of butthurt people with an axe to grind is pretty big. The accusation that Grimoire is a Stones of Arnhem reskin is pretty fucking insane. Grimoire was motivated by Cleve Blakemore's experience solo programming for the horrifically mismanaged Stones of Arnhem project (which was ultimately canned, but not before costing Cleve some part of his health and sanity and some very long-lasting outrage at his working conditions) and do a proper blobber, but the idea that Cleve was using Stones of Arnhem material in his work is frankly a malicious lie. The Stones of Arnhem shit was left behind and lost with the company's bankruptcy decades ago until it cropped up in some e-bay auctions a few years ago (where resurfaced materials vindicated a surprisingly large number of tall tales Cleve had to tell about the project), and if you actually saw the company internals and WIP concept art from the Stones of Arnhem auctions you would have realized how insane it would be for Cleve to actually use Stones of Arnhem material in his game. It's pretty clear the game was made by Cleve from the ground up. If Cleve really were just reskinning Stones of Arnhem, he would've been done ages ago (well, assuming that was even possible, Stones of Arnhem only had a brief tech demo for some E3 type shit iirc, game was still very incomplete when it got canned).

The guy posting that it's a Stones of Arnhem knockoff knows all this (because he knows about Stones of Arnhem) and is deliberately posting these absurd claims to shit on Grimoire and piss off Cleve, because Grimoire was Cleve's labor of love spanning decades and no man can hate Stones of Arnhem with the fury of a thousand suns quite like Cleve.

THE GREATEST OF ALL YEARS

The only thing which could officially end time now is Dwarf Fortress being completed.

Things are surely improving.

Good thing Holla Forums wasn`t the first migration I have made.

Check again is 20 years.

Opinion discarded. SirTech was one of the best game developers of all time this game needs to be released.

And it will, I mean say what you will about the mad man but this actually beats walking simulators made by lazy hipsters any day. Even though I'll probably never actually finish the game I will sincerely play it for a full two weeks.

How would you even 'complete' DF?

Toady has a set number of features until it is complete. However when he's truly finished is when he accomplishes his goals of full nuclear physics in the game and instead of just a comprehensive geography and planet creator it is instead a full blown world builder with full magic generated systems, Gods, the works (on an atomic level)

/ourguy/ confirmed?

Soon

Does anyone know if you can roll characters easily on this?

Something that put me off Wiz 6,7 was rolling for half an hour for each guy.

The way I see it when someone leaves one of the legendary companies we give them a shot no matter what.

I hope I live to see this autistic dream become an autistic reality.

It's slow, because you suck at them. People who are good at dungeon crawlers can go through them very quickly. It is actually a flaw for these types of games to force a person to wait for an animation sequence to finish before allowing input.

It's just a meme though. I can see Toady eventually getting that crazy but he's not there yet.

You had to see the pictures from the ebay auction. There were so many internal documents and memos there. One brilliant example of bad management was when Sir-Tech had to close an entire project and re-open it without a guy just to fire him for doing no work because he had a contract guaranteeing employment for the project. There was no union shit or anything involved, Sir-Tech just wrote a contract so bad it didn't have a clause for them to fire a guy for doing absolutely nothing. Instead they had to shut down the project he was under to get rid of him and re-open it without him under a slightly different name or shit.

There were also lots of infamous concept arts from Stones of Arnhem and just memos about the state of affairs in there. These guys were basically selling on a hot-selling series and didn't know what they were doing and just told the guys to take care of it. That may have worked out well for regular Wizardry, but when it came to Stones of Arnhem, they didn't have any of the normal Wizardry development team. They just had a couple of random talentless and slightly insane "artistic" fuckers working and Cleve who was apparently the only guy with any notion of game design (according to the internal documents).

Word has it the Strong Museum bought it up then quietly hid all of it instead of making evidence of all that incompetence available to the public. (To be fair, putting it on display would have made a laughing-stock out of not just Sir-Tech but the museum.) For all we know they burned all the incriminating shit. If only the RPG Codex could have bought it instead. Whyyy.

Toady is pretty chill.

Dude 1997 lmao

Can you post more stuff about Arnhem? Wait, first let me guess. Brenda Brathwaite got carte blanche and turned the project into a pornfest?

He sounds like he's perpetually on the verge of cracking from the loneliness and drudgery. He's not cut out for this lifestyle and I can see him doubling down to die from overwork or something.

Oh you.

Choose your spirit quests wisely, user, heh

It is really sad knowing a company that put such love and effort into their games had mismanagement and people wanting to fuck them over.

No, it wasn't Brenda. I think Brenda was mostly responsible for convincing Sir-Tech that the market has moved on and no one is interested in playing blobbers anymore (as opposed to, say, we fucked up and need to make better blobbers). It was Max Phipps and some other dude. They were the kind of colossal faggots who would consider a gay pride parade to be subtle innuendo and humor. I wish we still had the pics but the auctioneer took them down and I'm not sure anyone archived them.

There's a giant thread on the RPG Codex about it all, but you need an account to see it because it's been locked and moved to the dumping ground for bad or unwanted threads (I think Cleve requested that to preserve his health and sanity since thread was dredging up awful memories nonstop).

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-did-sir-tech-go-bankrupt.53695/

Thanks for showing me this OP, for once you were not a major cock gobbler. This is exactly what I was looking for for months.

You know, this fuels my theories as to why the JA2 team had to help out with W8 Ascension. Seems the Wiz team was a dumping ground for interminables, with the Siroteks taking advantage of the clusterfuck in the form of tax loopholes. Late Sirtech is a black hole of information, and when that happens there's always tax shit involved. Repeated cancellations are like catnip to clever accountants. Wouldn't be surprised if Ascension was never supposed to come out, but they realized it would be too suspicious to the auditors.

I dunno man. I never got that deep into it. If you wanna talk about this shit, go to the rpg codex and start a thread. They're on top of this stuff like no one else is.

I'd fuck him.

Oh, I remember that Stones of Arnhem was supposed to be the original Wizardry 8 until it got canned, so I think that played a part. I reckon they didn't even have a proper Wiz 8 team until they threw the JA2 team at it.

Toady has a son you know.

So does Cleve.

Wow, this looks like shit. I don't mean "lol, graphics suck", I mean it looks like something that has been in the oven for way too long. The game widow is like one third of the game, the aspect ratio is 4:3 and the graphics look really awkward. The pixelated look of Wizardry 7 has a certain charm to it, but this looks just like a cheap upscaled version. 20 years ago this would have been impressive, today it looks like someone dug out an old prototype.

Well, he started it about twenty years ago so, there you go.

But that is exactly what you are doing

Holy shit. I wanna buy this on principle now
Guess that'll take another five.

I wonder if it will go for the longest running EA title. I have faith he can do it.

Get a 4:3 monitor fag lol

You don't like it when games do this?

This. I get it's suposed to be "oldschool", and that's fine, but this looks abhorrent. Just looks like an archaic turd. There's a reason games stopped doing huge GUIs that take 60% of the screen.

Holy shit, this place is filled with casuals. Yiu must be missing on a lot of classics if graphics bother you so much.

Graphics don't bother me at all per se. Just the fact that the window containing them is 1/3 the size of the screen, the rest filled with bloated GUI. I mean I played the old Wizardry (7?) in spite of this because IT IS a classic, but this one IS NOT. Making your game look objectively shit on purpose just so it looks exactly like the 20 year old game that inspired you is retarded.

looks literally like literal shit, literally no one will play this.

I will.

I will too.

This game IS 20+ years old.

no, u won't

u wont either

no it's not, being in development for 20 years is not the same.

I mean, would it kill him to make the center GUI part smaller and make the sides slide on the screen when you need to see them? This is not a radical new concept, he could and should have changed it sometime in the last 10 years.

I've been waiting to play this game since first hearing about it. Which was like in 2007 or so.

He was going to, but his campaign to promise that never bore fruit.

Nice try, but you wont get it that easily. Nice dubs though.

Don't forget the possibility of the comic industry imploding. Comics alliance has shut their doors, hopefully to never come back.