He fell for the Ryzen meme

I know I fucking didn't cause I ordered a 7700k @ 4.8 last week after research. The conversation has now shifted to, "but when developers start optimising for the 8 cores it will be the better future proof CPU". By the time you need more than 4 fucking cores you're going to be replacing it with something newer and better.

It's the 390 all over again, "boy it has 8GB of VRAM, so future proof", by the time you will actually take advantage of that it's going to be fucking redundant. Games are running at shit framerates by the time you pushed resolutions where it could perform equal or better.

Why are AMD shills so fucking retarded, they never see the big picture.

You cannot overclock the fucking Ryzen for shit, so it's fucking useless for games with the lower clock speeds.

explain this ryzen meme to me like I'm a dumbass, because I am.

One of my friends is raving about them, their cost efficiency, benchmarks, etc.
Why is everyone raving about the "IT HAS 8 CORES FUGG" shit? Don't a few intel CPUs have 8 cores as well, or is that not the norm?
Also if most games aren't optimized for 8 cores what is even the point of looking at this shit for gaming?

It seems like the Ryzen is very powerful for heavy VFX and 3D work, but it would be stupid to invest in one for gaming at the moment. Or am I mistaken?

i'm getting tired of this thread

ryzen was built first and foremost for the server market because that's an extremely big and rich market that amd's bleeding heavily from not being able to participate in, and ryzen's gonna do great there.

so why is it slower than an i7 7700k:

it's a first generation design built on a global foundaries process that prioritizes power efficiency, for server reasons listed above. it was also targeted at haswell IPC, which while they surpassed that goal is still a couple of generations old.

it also has a strange decision where the L3 cache is split into two halves, with each half serving half the cores. this is a problem because if a workload gets moved from one half to the other, everything in the L3 cache has to be accessed from across the bus rather than it just being right there which bogs shit down pretty hard.

this is something that's going to see improvement in two ways: software being patched to recognize that ryzen is split and prioritize sticking to the same half of the chip, and increasing the speed of the bus.

the bus's clock is controlled by the RAM clock. faster RAM = faster bus. this is both good because it means that the performance can be improved pretty easily even if it needs some special coddling that a CPU shouldn't need in the current year and bad because right now there aren't a lot of motherboards that can handle booting with RAM clocked above a certain speed. teething issues like that aren't rare, it's being fixed with BIOS updates, and at least the boards aren't committing suicide like X99 did.

the chip's performance is improving steadily as manufacturers sort the BIOS issue and microsoft works on scheduling. the numbers it's putting up are competitive.

please tell me you weren't dumb enough to pay someone to overclock it for you.

although that graph isn't accurate
nice meme?

pros: the cores are cheaper and there's more of them than Intel's stuff and unlike last time the single-thread performance is pretty good

cons: it's got some issues right now and it doesn't overclock nearly as well as intel's top end consumer stuff

most games aren't optimized for eight cores but they're still nice to have especially if you have shit on a second monitor while you're playing. there's also the eternal hope that games will have to become better optimized for more cores because both consoles have pretty weak 8-core processors and also we're starting to hit the wall with what silicon can do electrically speaking so more cores are the future until we figure out something more exotic to make chips out of, but i wouldn't stake too much on anything positive happening anytime soon.

i7s were never recommended for gaming unless you just wanted to spend money. the i5's equivalent is the 1600 and it's not out yet, benchmarks soon.

It's completely fucked up that Ryzen's release has created a massive crisis and controversy instead of people being happy that there's more competition and innovation in the server market. Most people would prefer it if there was only one manufacturer and everything cost $1000 minimum.

Pc gaming: you have hundreds of choices but 99% of them are shit buy this $1000 pc that will be more outdated than consoles in 2 years and also enjoy your drm on the only platform that gets new games, controlled by an electric jew in washington.

But remember, you have choice, unlike consoles

I paid for a pre-overclocked i7 7700k and will have warranty on it.

It actually cost me about about up to 100~ dollarydoos more and Ill have easy warranty on all of it, including the overclock. Nice meme. I used to believe it too. Plus it means not having the hassle of fucking up during building it myself, just the little details.

I still remember putting my old dual core together and the chip went flying through the room when I took it out of the packaging, fun times.

so in other words, it's a meme in the gaming market

Will this shit the bed with emulation, because that's the only thing that's really cpu intensive i'll be doing with it.

*in the CPU market

prebuilts are sometimes a pretty good deal but i hope you checked if they were flogging some generic piece of shit PSU off on you

it's as much of a meme in gaming as an i7 is. the main advantage to more cores is better minimum frame times, you can see it in places on the chart. whether that's worth the $150 extra over an i5 is up to you. we'll see how the 1600 works out.

Individual core speed is more important and 4 cores are standard. It will not be anywhere as good as the 7700k OCd for emulation such as Wii U or RPCS3(?). I promise. By the time 8 cores are standard the clock speeds will have improved on those at retail, years from now.

Still using my PC from 2014 runs every game just fine, plays most games over 100 fps which is good for my 144hz monitor. Still looks miles better than current gen console graphics as well. Dunno but you're just plain wrong.

How does that happen? It must be nice having retard strength.

See you in two years once the 1200 you spent settles down to an unplayable 40 fps as optimization worsens for your 4 core pc

is Ryzen an AMD thing

It's AMD's new CPU range. They targetted a niche that Intel hasn't been pursuing. Intel shat out a $1000 CPU last year or something which would be its competitor, while AMD is offering the same shit nearly for half the price or less. It's good for wide range of stuff except not best choice for gaming/emulation. AMD targetted a niche and slapped bloat on it for free PR brownie points from retards who can't see how it works in reality. The excuses range from BIOS, OS, it's new and finally "developers aren't optimising for it yet", because no shit they're not going to target a tiny niche of the market for a hardware company with something like 25% market share. AMD are smart, because they find useful idiots aplenty everytime.

For a second I thought it was a new brand
A shame that computer parts are a duopoly

Is it rye-zen or ryzzen?

Risin(g)

Where were you when the balance shifted and now Intel is trying to overcompensate with clock speed?

It's fine, though. The R5 1600X will best the 7700K in this benchmark for $100 less money when it launches in a couple weeks. Oh, and it will still have better multithreading than the 7700K, too.

Post yfw you didn't fall for the intel meme

Don't fall for the meme.i7, and Ryzen, is great for gaming because, contrary to the benchmarks, when you use your PC you are not running just the game, but probably will have some programs in background that will take cores.
Ryzen is a new architecture and had a pretty good launch; the only problem with AMD is that the single core performance is not really good enough and most game use that at max, however thanks to Intel milking the and monopoly, their single core performance didn't skyrocket as it should have.
If AMD can resolve the problems and allow more OC we are going to see some good shit.

another console war thread?

hey guys should i install windows 10?

Great thread

most games are optimized for 8 cores these days, the two major platforms both use 8 core CPUs. AMD's vishera core CPUs were behind a few years ago compared to the i5 2500k, a very common cpu, and the 6 and 8 core vishera chips are still relevant to this day while the 2500k is struggling to maintain relevance, despite the IPC performance of each chip being strongly in the 2500k's favor.

Intel is still on the same architecture they debuted the i series of chips with, just improving it over time and with no clear plans for a new architecture in the pipeline, just another die shrink the chips won't hold up in multi core performance, as they've already shown, and their IPC performance is falling behind now that AMD released ryzen, an architecture with better IPC.

AMDs chips are running at lower heat/power footprints, better IPC, better multicore performance (which has proven to matter more and more over time) and as the console generation goes on, in order to get more out of those systems, devs need to better and better utilized distributed computing over multiple cores which falls back to the PC. Ryzen ensures AMD has another lock and hold on the next generation of consoles providing an optimization pipeline for AMDs hardware across the board, along with AMD gpus puts them in a strategic position for market control.

Intel is bleeding money and skilled employees, apparently things at Intel have been a disaster with delays, poor several billion dollar acquisitions and major mismanagement.

At this point AMD is in a good position to close the gap between AMD and Nvidia and Intel all in one shot across the enterprise, enthusiast, console, mid and low end computing markets with the only one they don't have a clear hold on being the high end and professional markets in the GPU space.

Most enterprise users I know are making the move to Ryzen, where higher performance at a lower power and heat draw is incredibly important.

Ryzen 5 is for the mainstream consumer and should be where people on Holla Forums look.

All my gear is Intel and Nvidia and I'm sick of both of them, their business practices, the lack of competition.

What do anons? I keep hearing none of the newer hardware supports anything other than windows 10.

I don't buy Intel and Nvidia because I like them, there are no alternatives.

What did he mean by this?

i7s and i5s perform almost exactly the same. The performance-related difference is the i7s having hyperthreading and hyperthreading bringing performance increases of 0-30% on some extremely specific situations, none of them related to gaming and sometimes actually decreasing performance. There's 1 specific case in which i7s perform better however, and it's the extreme editions. The 1000-dollar cpus with an "X" at the end of the name.
Basically, if you need an i7 you'll know it and if you're unsure or you don't know, you don't need an i7. Stick to i5s for gaming always, and spend the cash you saved somewhere else.

What's wrong with a 4690k?

Bestest goy

Do they only benchmark with CPU light games because normalfags don't care for the games that are actually CPU intensive?

Nothing wrong with it persay. I'm just looking to upgrade within the next year, and I'd like to get off intel.

pretty much. someday DF will be a common benchmark.

I see. I only asked because I have a 4590 and haven't run into any problems with it so far.

It's really the recent revealings with Intel that really make me want to say fuck them and switch, but to get anything better than what I have, I'd have to get a new mobo and DDR4 ram, and I've looked into it and seen that Windows 7 has no support. Fucking sucks.

Arma is CPU intensive because of shit codding (for the most part). Even with recent updates, it still uses the cores poorly.
BeanNG would be an interesting benchmark.

Technically you can run W7 on the newer CPUs, but they won't have multithreading or something.

Well, then you won't find the upgrade you want since intel hasn't actually improved their cpus since devil's canyon, and AMD is still behind on performance.

This kind of thing makes switching to linux more appealing. I'd have done so already if it weren't for muh video games.

If it's any comfort to you, Linux has more games than most modern consoles. Not to mention it gets pretty much every emulator as well.

I'm illiterate when it comes to PC shit, what's multithreading again?

Making a mini ITX Ryzen build soon, not sure if I should go with a R7 1700, R5 1600 or R5 1400, and overclock, money isn't really an issue but I dont want to buy something I won't be making the most out of.

Don't be such a fag. Both Intel and AMD are compromised.

I totally get your point, but it still has less than Windows 7. So even though it does have variety, there's still less of it than with what I'm using now. C'est la vie.

So what are you supposed to do, make a CPU at home?

Multithreading is that thing that lets one CPU core have two threads, and therefore do two things at once.

wait for RISC-V SoC's fam

I only took a quick glance, but it seems like they're not being made with video games in mind. Am I wrong?

Nobody has ever built a cpu architecture specifically with video games in mind, user.

Here's a hint for anyone needing a CPU: It's wither gonna be jews, or jew-like merchants.
Get used to it.

There is so much wrong with this benchmark it ain't even funny

Hardware is hardware. It doesn't care what you run on it. You might not get perfectly optimal results or the benefit of the newest whiz-bang extensions, but it will work because it's still a x86-64 CPU. Windows XP isn't "supported" either, but you can still run it. Don't believe the Microsoft FUD.

Hope he actually went through with it and made some good money, I would have bought in myself but I'm an apathetic fuck.

Let me rephrase. It seems to me like it's going to be quite a while until they're ready to make one that's strong enough to do more than surf the web.

I hope you love win10

Noone mentioned the fact that Ryzen at 30W (peak power for Intel Atom) outperforms my 4770K on cinebench.

Ryzen is an amazing platform which would double as a killer low power unit and I'm pleased to have the cores for my rendering projects.

My i5 3570k still outperforms ryzen in some respects.
But if you're not gaming Ryzen is good.

You can use Ryzen/KBLake with Win7.
Besides, updating Windows is for fags anyway.

It doesn't. You're probably experiencing the hardware timer bug.

I believe Anandtech made that observation and have the data to support it. That said, that's in cinebench, obviously not across the board.

Basically pic related. Also note the "JUST WAIT FOR DEVS TO OPTIMIZE FOR MORE CORES" which is the same excuse that was used back when Bulldozer flopped.

>getting upset about template threads when all they really are are a broad range of conversation-starters, Rugga is long gone and pretending every thread ever should be high quality or completely unique (or even trying to backseat moderate about such an issue/enforce it as a rule) is complete lunacy like every other time "good threads only" has tried to be a rule

Explain yourselves

Take up rendering or data processing of some sort as a hobby and come back to us.

What's going on? Did I just hop between multiverses?

Current year+2 CPU will force you to use windows 10, because windows 7 & 8yes even she cant detect them are too OLD, goyim.
I hope you are learning to use a gnu.

This is Holla Forums.

The motherboard chipsets need drivers.

He pops up every now and then though.
Template thread are cancer because it's just always the same shit and just fuels the same shitty rhetoric and console/manufacturers war,and i seriously wish they fucked off, worse than them is "le Holla Forums don't like le videogame" that is pure cancer and attracts all the kind of underage morons.
I know it's impossible to go away with template threads, but at least those two kinds should be beat to death.

Moore's law is over, gotta do something new to keep the upgrade train rolling.
The newest wave of hardware and software is the same shit you had in 2014 but worse.

At least they didn't zoom the chart in.