Vengeance

So there have been a lot of Bioware threads the last few days, and people suggesting things like pirating the games. So I considered pirating DA:I. And then I realized that was really fucking stupid and decided to replay DA:O for the first time in a while.

Now Bioware? They're not great writers. Nowadays they're not even good writers. But by video game standards they weren't bad back in the day, and Origins was pretty much the last game before their "talent" left. And as a person who loves vanilla human, this bastard to the left was one I took a great deal of pleasure in killing. The exact location was a bit of an anti-climax, and really, it was stupid as fuck for him to just show up after seeing all of the shit you had pulled - to quote one of the random NPCs, "And people willing choose to fight you?" - but the concept was at least good, and it was nice taking vengeance for my parents who I had known for all of ten minutes in the tutorial.

It also made me realize that I would have enjoyed it a lot more in an actual good video game. So tell me Holla Forums - what are some good video games where I can take vengeance on people who really fucking deserve it? Bonus points for games where this isn't the "best" option but it's not made into some edge-lord over the top bullshit either, and where the rest of the gameplay/story isn't shit.

I haven't played this game, so I can't say if it's good or not.

Not just Vengeance, but whole Revengeance!

I clocked a good 50 hours on this bad boy, it's a solid Max Payne clone w/out the bullet time but replaced with lots of enviromental kills and edgy over the top interrogations. It's non stop action from beginning to end and the graphics hold up better than most 6th gen games since it has a cartoony art-style, the music is orchestral goodness to boot. A 7/10 for me.

New Vegas lets you revenge yourself.

Doom 2's plot is kicked off when Doomguy gets back to Earth and sees the demons have killed his fucking rabbit.

The Witcher 2. You don't personally carry it out but it's still satisfying as hell to see a particular character get exactly what's coming to him

You say that but there's also Witcher 1 being kicked off with a friend of yours dying.
That shit gets brought up surprisingly often.

I want to say God of War but due to shit writing vengeance just feels like an excuse for generic rage after the GoW 2 canonically.

SOMEONE WAS GONNA PAY FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO DAISY, YOUR PET RABBIT.

Saboteur is basically kicked off when German invasion of France kills your family.

Best sequel hook, ever.

Quake, like Doom, is kicked off when your base is fucked up while you aren't looking by forces from another world.
Id wasn't very creative in the narrative department.

Call of Jaurez is literally some guy retelling his tales of slowly tracking the man who killed his family across the west.

Stronghold is an RTS where your dad gets killed so you set out to kill the guy that killed them and in the process take the kingdom back for the king who was the kidnapped target of said ambush.

Revenging with Roche was a very nice.

MY NAME IS VICTOR REZNOV
AND I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE

Man, the human noble in DAO had one fucking dumb aborted questline. Your father, Bryce, tells you you need to get to Fergus and tell him what happened so he can put matters right. When you get to Ostagar, Cailan tells you your brother is gone scouting. When you ask him when he'll be back, Cailan tells you "not until after the battle" (because apparently this is what scouts do: they return to report their findings after the battle proper). After the battle everyone forgets about Fergus. And he just shows up again in the end. Bioware deleted the Fergus questline because they felt it didn't mesh with the origin stories (and to save time, probably - there were a lot of dumb cuts like this) and just left the whole subplot dangling like a pack of idiots. For another aborted subplot, you can run into Amethyne (the daughter of the widowed elf servant chick you can bang in the origin) and she's a total background NPC you can't interact with. You don't even have the option of letting her know what happened to her mother (ded).

Oh, there's also a brilliant piece of dialogue when you run into your dead nephew in the origin. You tell your mother not to look, she'll tell you she'll look and take revenge. Then she ends the dialogue with stating she can't bear to look. Who wrote this shit? And who the fuck tested it?

Scouts don't just sit around with their thumbs up their ass before and during a battle. They'll scout around the flanks and general periphery of the army to prevent chunks of your army getting ambushed.

I never said they did. I am saying when you send a scout out scouting before a battle, he is supposed to return to deliver his report before the battle, not after it, because otherwise it is completely fucking retarded and putting the scout to waste.

Jesus that character model looks like absolute dogshit.

The game that pic is from is nearly a decade old, smartass.

Rendon Howe is a fucking retard.

Witcher games are full of revenge side plots full of grey murkiness. And of course you can always choose to kill knife-ears and jew-beards.

The facial animations and voice acting make it. The models didn't age too well, yes.

That's not what happens in Saboteur. What happens is that you lose a race to a nazi officer, so you and your friend get the bright idea to sneak into a nazi base in order to trash his car. After doing that they get caught and the friend dies as a consequence. So basically you seek revenge for something your own stupidity caused in the first place.

Turns out Gaider wrote the Human Noble questline.

Awakening was a shit expansion. Balance was even more garbage than the original, as a sequel it already fucked with DAO's endings severely, and the plot was complete trash. The premise of "administering" Amaranthine was rather dumb also. The Stone Prisoner (Shale) was the only "expansion" from DAO that was worth anything, and that was part of EA trying to screw over the 2nd-hand market by crippling resale value through cutting content and then reincluding it as DLC which is only free for 1st-hand buyers.

Wasn't Cailan being a sellout retard the point though? It was for those exact reasons that his right hand man betrayed him. Cailan ignoring a scout and telling him to deliver a report after it becomes meaningless is pretty in character for him.

Say what you want,blackwall is a good character in inquisition

ass effect 1 had some fun writing too. for example, when you meet garrus all you know is that he's an ex-cop. that's all they tell you, and over time he reveals that he quit out of unhappiness with the job. if you increase your reputation or whatever you call it with him, he reveals that he quit because there was one mass-murdering organ harvester who he almost caught then let get away at the last second (i can't remember why, i think it was either shoot him down and kill all the civilians aboard his ship or let him go).

if you play garrus's special side mission, you finally track the organ harvester down and garrus finally gets the chance to deal with him. my memory on it is fuzzy but i seem to remember "let it go, garrus, he's not worth it" being Paragon, some stupid thing being neutral, and "finish the job, buddy" being Renegade. i let garrus have his white whale. this is why no matter how fucking bad bioware has gotten i will always remember mass effect 1 as being genuinely fun, since all renegade garrus+wrex squad was basically Buddy Cop Movie: In Space: The Game

Yes they were but you were probably too young to realize that when playing their shit.

Being dumb is one thing, but being deliberately retarded defies all sense. Dragon Age didn't have much in the way of a plot. Loghain tried to provide one, and it largely made the game worse since his motivations and decisions were also poorly established. For all the writers Bioware has and all the accolades they receive for their works, they are some terrible amateurs when it comes to delivering anything resembling a cohesive and plausible story. More proof that the vidya media is shit, I suppose.

Bioware is also too addicted to their own retarded formulaic design to do anything better. Creativity is nonexistant there.

Fucking this. Max Payne still holds up well today