Well written villains thread

This one's Marcello, from Dragon Quest 8.

Marcello is the brother of Angelo, the healer of the party, and a priest of considerable standing, who is Angelo's half-brother, cast out from his family as soon as his half-brother was born. He was taken in by the high priest at Maella Abbey, fully knowing of how he got there.

One day, Angelo's aristocratic father and mother both die, and due to circumstances Angelo inherits none of his family's riches and is left homeless, and by fate he wanders to Maella Abbey to be taken in by the priests.

Marcello is the first man to meet Angelo, and is entirely caring and accepting, the exact character expected of a preist, until he finds out exactly who Angelo is. Had Angelo not been born, he would have been an aristocrat, and his mother would not have died.

Marcello shows nothing but hatred for Angelo, blasting out years of resentment he bottled up and repressed. This treatment would continue.

Marcello becomes a bitter man, knowing that the child who stole his life away lives under the same roof. His ambition surfaces as a result, and he claws his way up to being captain of the Templars at his abbey. Then his only father figure, the high priest, is killed by the main villain. As a result, he becomes the high priest. He's exceedingly good at hiding his emotions on the subject, but everyone in the abbey has known him from since his childhood and they know that he was torn apart the most by the ordeal.

And that's just the first half of this dude's lore.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IJog7LQihe4
youtube.com/watch?v=i3WcATV_kgM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

10/10 logic and writing.

Definitely one of the most complex villains in video games.

A bit of context, he picked up the staff that contains the big bad guy and it's possessing him, but not through total takeover like usual (since the dude resisted the takeover for months), but instead through gradual means.

If you check the last bit, his voice changes completely in his last line, that's the sign of the staff taking over his will completely. so his "join me or die" is a result of literally holding the staff that contains the soul of a demon god who's pretty much an omnicidal bastard, but the fact that he's saying "join me or die" means that he's still resisting the staff's influence.

If he'd gotten there without picking up that staff, he'd instate democracy right then and there, but because he's being half-possesed by the thing and can't drop it, he's been corrupted.

So in other words, it's justified. Basically the entire story revolves around that staff and a 1/3rd of the game is devoted to killing just ONE of it's holders before you figure out who's really pulling strings.

If protags count.

This robot dom.

A shame his entire character got butchered in 3.

That ass-pull at the end of ZTD though.

He's neither villain nor antagonist.
There was a term for it, but I forgot, basically a secondary main character, kinda like Zero in Megaman X franchise or Laguna dude in Final Fantasy VIII.
Basically Fou-Lu's purpose as a character is to elaborate on game's world, setting, lore, active factions, and such without braking the narration involved with primary main character.
Also if not for him, we couldn't appreciate full specter of villainy that true BoF4 antagonist is.
This guy right there.
I think they put Fou-Lu as the possible last boss just because of JRPG tradition and they felt that at this point game already broke too many of those to subvert last boss battle even further.
I could go on autistic rants about BOF4 for hours

Why is the voice acting so fucking bad?

Does Rance count?

He ordered the destruction of the capital though. Is that not a villainous act?

Yuna was definitely the true villain though, shame you never get to fight him.

It's kind of hard to place this guy anywhere. He toys around with you for a bit by kidnapping you and teleporting you in enemy infested areas for no reason before he involuntarily makes you a part of his Fun Godhood Space Expedition group.
I guess there's Tycho, although I always saw him as a dweeb with a chip on his shoulder considering how brutally he gets humiliated like it's fucking nothing. The Pfhor don't even have an idea what's happening most of the time.

True Neutral is an alignment that requires someone to keep the universal balance between good and evil, which means that if you do something lawful good for example you need to do something chaotic evil in return.

Deuteragonist, by the way.

A lot of people complain about it but I always liked how… unresolved BoF4 was.
Fou-Lu wanted to live a peaceful life, but in the end the protagonists kill him, while talking with him could have resolved this whole thing non-violently
Yuna was the bigger monster, but in the end the party goes after Fou-Lu because that's who they were told they had to face
Cray loved Nina's sister, Nina had a crush on Cray, and it seems like Ryu had feelings for Nina. This love triangle is unresolved and no one gets anyone in the end.

Not everything wraps up in to a neat storybook ending.

Because Empire from prosperous state turned into evil machine of war while he was in slumber. It had to be destroyed.
Plus he was pissed his woman was tortured and killed specifically to hurt him, so all those people could die for all he cared.
Actually all humans should have fucking died for all he cared. And THAT why he had to be fought and stopped. Or not, it was up to you to decide.

Thanks.

Yes, game was pretty unconventional for it's time and broke many cliches. That and Xenogears still hold the bar of "holy shit it's too much to be a video game" for me.

Its more like you cant let any side have a total win or something like that, cant let orcs go extinct and shit.

It was a tough choice for me due to how much you see and how much could be prevented by people not being such flagrant assholes. Nina's sister could have been saved, but the 'good guys' were such cowards that they gave her to the empire, forgetting that the hex guns use people's connections to do damage. The fact many neutral groups seemed to get in the way and be dicks did not help.

Friendly reminder that there are still people on Holla Forums who fell for Breen's propaganda.

I love this guy

Danganronpa 2 spoilers

The chapter 5 death gambit is my favorite murder mystery of all time and I've read a lot of mysteries

I really liked Kuja in FF9 because he's very pretty much the polar opposite of the main character and the game doesn't really go out of its way to bash this into your mind unlike every other game in the series. Having a Queen song as his theme helps.

Then which one do you choose if you don't care about anything and only perform actions that benefit yourself?

youtube.com/watch?v=IJog7LQihe4

youtube.com/watch?v=i3WcATV_kgM

Bully me.

(Image didn't post)

why the hell did you post John goodman?
I mean he was the villain in Rosanne if you listen to MSN

Pretty realistic if you think about it.

Thanks for reminding me to replay this, I've been wanting to come back to it ever since I learned Japanese

Yeah, it's a good game to play in Japanese, since some scenes were cut from the English version. The grammar/vocab isn't too difficult either.

This is basically what every communist country does.

You tell me. I played 1-3 in Jap already, dunno why I didn't just go to 4 straight from there.

I was probably your average teen weeb edgelord, so it wasn't even a choice for me. I went super saiyan and murdered my party

no he isnt
he is just a dick head

Returning here to point out another religious-affiliated villain who should be classified as well written.

Returning here to CHECK EM.

I think that's chaotic neutral. Then again, DnD alignments are fucking retarded, so I might be wrong.

Communism in a nutshell bro…

Too bad sparks linear high will always be the canon route.

testing something

test your ass