I know guys, if we make it so less people can buy a switch more people will buy a switch somehow

archive.is/7ninu

You shitty clickbait aside, artificial scarcity works and nintendo did it for their shitty amiibos too.

Nintenjew needs to die as a company

Only 2 customers a day.

There is a difference between a toy costing 10$ and a gaming console.
If I can't get a switch I will just buy a ps4.

Gamestop is saying interest for the switch is actually considerable. I know that makes you sonyggers squirm. The salt is poised to be pretty high grade this season.

its honestly hilarious how upset you guys are about the switch

almost like you were paid to do it.

You are basically creating artificial demand
The issue is is that it will stop people who wanted to buy one from buying one.

That makes no sense, wouldn't a 10 dollar toy be something that you are less concerned about buying and less willing to pay extra on? Whereas nintoddlers and their mothers would be more desperate to play the new games?

why…

I've entertained the idea, but seeing as I still don't know what's going to be on the damn thing other than a new LoZ game, decided against it.
Seriously though, does anyone know what the switch has other than LoZ?

^this, now fuck off with the console war crap

nothing.

Because this.

Another generic Mario game?

This is like that Southpark episode where Cartman turns a failing amusement park into a highly profitable venture by not letting people in.

Why? Do you have to buy something? Also, I presume you want the Switch for its software. How would it's scarcity make you buy a PS4 when it has such little overlap in software?

Why does Nintendo keep doing this?
Are they in cahoots with the fucking scalpers or something?

The supply is as much as every other console at launch, it's nothing specific to Nintendo.

That's funny since mainline 3D mario games have always been extremely original compared to other series. You sound like a sonydrone.

Mate, intentionally understocking is certainly a Nintendo-specific thing.

It's a video games thing.

I might as well just go back to cuckchan at this point.

It's not a WARIO game, so fuck off.

Even after amiibos people are still pushing this bullshit.

Please do.

Thank god I manage go preorder one.

wew

The whole industry is fucked m8, don't blame a single entity.

You fucks, there's no such a thing as not selling your product and making money
This is a sign of a concerned company. If artificial scarcity made money, nintendo wouldn't be the only one doing it. Really, do you think autists like yourselves have "cracked the code"? That only you and nintendo figured out something that mycrosoft and sony didn't? Yeah right, I'm sure mr. Sony is fuming through his ears, thinking "why didn't I think of this?! I should have asked the hacker 4chan for advice!"
I hope this is a meme, and you cocksucking chromosome hoarders are actually messing with each other and myself fuck I'm mad, just thinking that any company can go "hurrrrrrrr I'm not selling my shit, and money will pour in" should be enough to grant you a state payd brain scan and a mandatory castration, for the sake of mankind's genetic pool.

learn some basic economics you blithering idiot.

Whats the point?
You won't be playing games with none of them, thats for sure.

the reason they always do this is because they run lean, risk averse, and are scared of overstock

It is if you turn the boxart upside down.

I just like mario games. I don't give a shit about Zelda because it looks like skyrim.
The new mario on the other hand looks like sunshine which is a good thing.

So there are 2 cases
I say it's the 2nd one because there is no reason nintendo shouldn't be able to pump out as many units as sony or microsft.

He's still right in the economic sense though.
It costs Nintendo money to make switches to put on the retail circuit, so by limiting the supply limits the potential loss if it doesn't sell.
Besides, Nintendo can always make Switches post-launch, it's not like it's a painting.

This is just begging for scalping and other forms of early buyer jewing.

Sony is a massive electronics company that has a mature, decades-old supply chain
Microsoft has fuck you money
Nintendo has neither

Negro, creating an artificial demand for your product only works if the price of said product can fluctuate.
Not selling your shit now, when price is X, just to sell it in the future at the same price X just put you a few months behind on your profits, nothing more.

Someone who, in a situation of no scarcity, wouldn't buy a product, won't suddenly drop the cash to buy it in an alternative situation of "just because other people wanted and couldn't get it earlier".
Nintendo isn't making a single cent more on the switch because of this supposed strategy. If this stupid feverish dream concocted in the twisted minds of a chan poster can even be called that. If this shit worked, the WiiU would have something to show.

Really, it's such a clear sign that nintendo is still playing cautiously with the switch, that they even went out of their way to say that though it's main gimmic is portability, it's not a competitor to the 3DS. You know, the only current system bringing any dosh to the company…

what is artificial scarcity

back to economics 101 with you

Well that depends on if they'll make it like 64 and Sunshine or the Galaxy games.

I'm personally hoping I can punch in that game, but I doubt it.

also all of you fags who don't get it are autistic (shocker I know) since you don't understand that rare things are sought after, and humans aren't 100% rational robots like you

Skeptical if this is a nintendo decision or a gamestop decision.
They do this with nearly every "limited edition" set of hardware they have so they can mark it up.
And before you ask, yes I work at gamestop and they're fucking horrible and yes it's true we have to damage rare accessories/controllers to keep stock down so it can be sold for more.

Having games works better.

Nintendo's releasing a limited supply because they don't want to gamble all their money on the switch launch.

Oh and fyi gamestop doesn't have to repsect MSRP on "used consoles". So enjoy your used nintendo switch.

it's precisely because people are retarded impulsive retards that will hump anything they don't need with a credit card what disproves this theory. How are you gonna buy what isn't in stores?
The next time stores ressuply guess who will buy it? The same people who would buy it otherwise! Unless you can sell it at a HIGHER price later, to exploit the "risk of not getting it", your so called strategy won't bring you any extra profit.

I think this is for the most part it, Nintendo systems are pretty rocky when it comes to consumer adoption rates so why over manufacture and have units that don't sell, especially at the last quarter of the financial year. Nintendo themselves said they were ramping up production anyway after the amount of "buzz" the switch generated.

It's like Sunshine and 64, Koizumi showed a chart which grouped up the games into two groups, one with Galaxy and 3d World, and the other with Sunshine, 64 and Odyssey.

Punch ability sucked, you had to stop to pull it off and it had a limited range, hat is better, Mario can throw it while he's moving and it has a load of other platforming utility.

Gamestop is playing on emotion to maximize their own revenues. This is Marketing 101, it's fucking nothing.

Are you going to pretend Mario sunshine and galaxy weren't original? They had very creative and unique levels. I expect the same from this new game.

I never said I was going to buy the thing day 1 Unless I wanted to sell it on Ebay for twice the price. I am not a fanboy. I said I was considering buying it because of mario, I didn't say when. I want to buy it when Mario comes out.

Precisely.
1) Announce your product, make few units so you don't compromise a lot of your capital in unsold units
2) Watch the public's reaction and early sales
3) make more shit accordingly

This is something you do I'd you DON'T believe in your product, or if you don't have a lot of capital to risk.

Fuck 'em then, i'll give my money to literally anyone else.

Not intentionally you fuckhole, you're gonna buy one anyway, no doubt about that.

He's more than just an upside down letter.

That's the reason why I bought the Wii U and 3ds

Only in some contexts, not in the way people think nintendo does.

The only people who would benefit in the way people allege nintendo does would be scalpers and resellers, not nintendo themselves

Since when did sonyggers infest this site so badly? Theyre the only ones who ever bring this retard conspiracy up.

Bull fucking shit. People who will buy the swich are the same that would buy it otherwise. Artificial scarcity doesn't change people's minds. Especially not on a chan. Raise your hand anyone who didn't want one, but now feel inclined to buy it just because can't get it.
is right. Whoever didn't really wanted to buy it in the firsy place will just waste money somewhere else. And maybe get one near the end of the consoles life maybe even used

I pre-ordered 3 so I can hock em on ebay. Dumb fucks will actually buy it for >MSRP.

A bunch of Gamestops just got new allotments of Switch's so maybe Nintendo have been able to increase production to meet demand, this was well after Gamestop announced that it had to cancel a large wave of Nintendo Switch pre orders, and Gamestops own allotment was apparently 800k Switch units. That's a lot of Switch's considering initial worldwide shipmet is supposed to be 2 million units, this is as much as all other hardware launches.

I didn't say now you retard, people here are going to buy it eventually, maybe second hand who cares but people here are going to buy one.

I hope you make good money.

Eh, that doesn't really work as the whole joke with the PS4 is that BB was the only good game for a good two years after its' release.

Nintendo are doing this because they know, like the Wii U, the Switch is gonna be a complete failure in terms of sales.

They want to reduce losses as much as possible.

any better?

Forced scarcity works as a marketing strategy, though. However, the Switch is not enough of a luxury for it to work.

This right here tbh.

MUH NINTENDO IS LE UNDERDOGE!
MUCH POOR, SUCH HEROES!

Fuck off, Nintendo is a huge brand and everyone knows it. Nintendo has no problems selling units in any part of the world, they stagger the units because it causes this stupid GOTTA HAVE IT craze. And they need to. Everyone has been talking about how they'll get one for Breath of the Wild, M-MUH ZELDA, but then months later as the Switch street date begins to get closer, suddenly even hardened fanboys think to themselves "should I really buy the Switch for one fucking game?" And the answer is of course NO.

They are selling the switch on the ability to play Skyrim and one Zelda game. That's not a marketing strategy, so they use artificial scarcity to make it seem like it's just selling out like hot cakes, it's the big unit, everyone should get one as soon as they can when they can because big things are happening. It's a marketing strategy that works, because it makes people see something as more successful and better than it truly is.

This is something you can actually read about, just like instead of pricing anything at $15 you price it at $14.99 .. because in school you were taught to subliminally round the price off. The 9 looks close to a 0, so a lot of people just read the most pertinent numbers before the decimal and round the prices down.

That is the power of the 9. Another marketing strategy. Underhanded and shady business tactics like these have been employed by the business world for over a century. We have volumes of research into all of this shit, it's at the tip of your fingers, just type something into google and go fucking educate yourself. This isn't a MUH BOOGEYMAN theory, this is real shit that people really do.

It worked with the nes mini.

I know, it sounds stupid. But people fucking do it all the time. To you and me, it makes no sense. But niggers and white trash are prone to that shit.

You're a fucking retard. Go eat gravel

Original maybe but certainly not innovative, the series stagnated after SM64

well

but

of course it's going to be limited

they're not going to have an unlimited supply.

It's a well documented phenomenon user, just look it up. It's also really really sad

64D chess?

I find it funny how people have lost so much hope for the Switch at this point that you never see that furry posted anymore.

Probably they expect bad launch sales so first they ship the limited supplies and later they secretly send more without announcing it so their initial sales only look low because they shipped low. So basically they let the rich folks who got the Switch early market it to their kid's friends and then the other kids will want one.

On a very related note,
post the entire fucking image you fucking faggot! Don't crop it!

Does anybody here remember the PS2 release?

Why would anyone buy a console at launch? Will gamers always fall to marketing and hype fueled by their own stupidity and inability to budget? God I hope so someone has to fund this industry.

1999-2000? Sorry was a PC gamer back then and no internet.

There is no market benefit for a manufacturer with an already set Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price to undersell demand of a good because a manufacturer cannot incur additional revenue from withholding product, and if you think otherwise you are actually retarded.

It's really sad that we have to depend on the average person to be fucking retarded for the free market to work

And don't even pretend GameStop wouldn't do this.

Gamestop isn't a manufacturer. I sincerely hope this is you realizing my point

There's ALWAYS a limited supply in the stores in launch day. Because it's impossible to have an UNlimited supply for obvious reasons.

You're taking the title too seriously. This reeks as FAKE scarcity, to make people believe they need to buy it ASAP otherwise they won't be able to.

That is the complete opposite, an educated buyer makes the free market work, if they buy anything competition subsides and advertising takes precedence over product quality, see: the current situation.

Mostly for collectors items, but a console can never have a limited run because you need to build an ecosphere. Also, the console is just a means to an end, which is playing games, unlike amiibos. The overwhelming majority of people don't collect consoles.

If everyone on the planet decided to be a responsible consumer that made only good decisions the vidya industry would die overnight and there wouldn't be any competition at all

Only because they would realize how shafted they're getting by the current market. Once a crash happened and vidya sold itself on quality again, because customers would buy only what they thought was good and didn't have shit like DRM, DLC etc., then it would be an active market with tons of competition to make a superior product.

Your theory is created in a vacuum with the idea that "only those who exist within my vacuum buy games, if we all stopped, no one would." This is provably false. People buy the products and don't even care about things like DRM, DLC and the such. When Halo 2 was new, Microsoft did an experiment by releasing a map pack disc. There was room enough on the Halo 2 disc for said map pack, but they decided to sell it separately to see if a consumer would buy it. They did.

Bethesda did a similar experiment with optional paid DLC, such as horse armor, to see if people would pay for it. And they did. Someone who enjoys a product enough to a certain extent will easily make the decision to buy more content if they can, even if the amount of content they are buying is minimal at best, just to say that they have the entire experience.

Your "good decisions" are only good decisions in your own eyes, other people want those extras.

I guess that's why there are a real amount of Nintendo apologists. Lefties love being the underdogs and championing a cause.

Pretty much. Which is why they believe that somehow the establishment is the underdog, and Trump bulldozed the whole thing with money, even though he fought an uphill battle for 4 years to get elected.

Yeah, I'm just going to walk in at around 10 on Friday and they're going to have like 80 of the fuckers for me.

I'm legitimately excited for Odyssey, but there's no point in getting a Switch until it's closer to coming out

You sound very confident of this. What if they don't even have one because people lined up at dawn?

Yeah it looks good. I'm likely to get a NIntendo Switch… around fall when games have come out.

Nigger, being an educated buyer would be knowing that they're just trying to squeeze more shekels out of you, and not letting it stand. Not to mention there are some objective standards not met by the vidya industry like shit performance and being riddled with bugs and glitchs. An educated person can see anti-consumer practices fairly easily, DLC I could let slide because you are paying for more content (whether that content was with held for more shekels or not), but things like always online and shit performance are fairly objective.

If that were true, they'd be selling less units. But they're selling more. It's subjectively an issue. Most people figure "I'm always on the internet anyway, so always online is fine." They've been sold the propaganda by Jewtaku and the like, so they think always online is a positive.

BEING LIED TO AND BRAINWASHED IS NO BEING EDUCATED
There is a difference. They're selling more units because we don't live in a magical society where everyone is educated and cares, we live in one where people are fairly dumb and willing to shell out their disposable income at the drop of a hat.

Last time I visited Game Stop for a "sold out" product, can't remember what it was, the clerks literally laughed at me behind the counter and told me they had a shitload in the stockroom. I know this dance. Anyone willing to line up outside already has a preorder.

Do you live in a small hicksville town or something?

artificial scarcity is not a new tactic
why does anyone act like this is some shocking new jewry?
it's not even limited to gaming, ISPs do it with data caps

Wasnt someone killed over a system the last time some shit like this happened?

Also back in the place I used to live there was a store that was robbed all because of call of duty

I remember someone saying that someone got shot in the chest by a beanbag gun by some dickheads thinking it was a "SO FUNNY PRANK" while standing in line back during the days of the PS3, but I don't remember hearing about any fatalities over a console.

Your absolutely fucking retarded. Yes artificial scarcity is a very real thing that was pioneered by the toy companies specifically.
It's basic and highly effective psychological manipulation. If something is "sold out" everywhere and there are constant media reports about how this hot new item is "super rare" and people are standing in mile long lines to get one well that means it must be fucking good right? So people who would normally have no interest in said item all of a sudden have to have it so they can impress there peers.
It's obviously not a viable long term strategy, but it's incredibly effective in the short term ask the Wii or Furbies or Tickle me Elmo.

No, it doesn't.

It's not that it's startling new jewry, it's that it only works for items that are insanely in demand such as the apple product line. Ninendos new fucking console will not benefit to the full extent that this tactic can provide and therefore makes this looks as embarrassing as hell because it's so transparent and its also guaranteed to fall flat on its fucking face

No, that was in Seattle

They've done it for every console they've ever released. Why are you acting shocked and appalled about it now?

Next month, they'll be all sold out everywhere you go.

Near year, they'll be in every used bin at Gamestop and retailers will practically be sucking your cock for you to take them.

Seriously, is this your first Nintendo console release or something?

maybe it'll impress nintendo's stockholders if they tell them that they sold 100% of their switch consoles in the first month

New Jersey?

And then Mario Odyssey

Nintendo has been doing this shit since the NES.

artificial scarcity led it to be the best selling system of it's generation? If everyone had one, it wasn't scarce, dumbass.
"limited eddition" shit has always been sold at a higher price. That's the kicker of artificial scarcity: It has to be expensive to pay off. Not selling x products this month just to sell the same x next month doesn't make a single cent more.

Still waiting for anyone to explain to me how a company sells MORE by capping their offer. If I sell x units for y$, I get x*y$. Selling less x means less money. It amazes me that I have to explain this.
How does a company make more money selling less products at the same price? Explain his to me

That's a WiiU game though, the switch version is just a port.

for a console which needs to sell software to survive?
Artificial scarcity is a great way to discourage any 3rd party support.

Hence the artificial part dumbass. By limiting supply for a desired object they create demand for it, then they just keep that demand exactly where they want it.
They aren't just saying "well we've created the scarcity, better maintain it forever!" they continue to slowly trickle more and more supply over time until a ton of people have bought it. Then they open up the floodgates.
This is literally the simplest economic system.

Nintendo hasn't worked towards impressing their stockholders in the past, why would they start now?

You stupid mongrel, "real" scarcity happens when a product is sought after making it's availability dwindle. "Artificial" scarcity happens when a company makes less of it's shit (and thus, sells it at a higher price than they could have if the product wasn't hard to find).
If the Wii sold more, that means it's production WASN'T capped, you dingus.
Demand doesn't pay bills, sales do.
And money trickes in the company? Instead of making sales now? Open the floodgates on the later half of your product's lifecycle? In the tech industry? You have the economic savvy of an allowance recipient. Not even Mc Donald employees are that illiterate.

It's a lot simpler to explain it with the fact that nintendo desn't want to overstock on a risky product. If it sells like hot cakes, you can bet they will "open the floodgates" next month.
demand doesn't pay bills

I love this defense of bait, it's funny because people actually think. it works, it doesn't.

You know with a PS4 that image is a joke. This one can actually happen with the scalpers.

They did it with the NES mini

Like others have said, it's completely retarded if you actually want people to use your shitbox to play games. With that in mind I have no reason to think that the Japs aren't retarded enough to do just that.

Something not right with those Nips. Maybe this is the result of those two nukes?

You're the one asking how supply and demand works, don't get mad at me. If you already know so much about how artificial scarcity works why the fuck are you asking questions in the first place? Don't ask questions just so you have something to be mad about.
Like I said, they don't just keep the artificial scarcity. They inflate demand at release by limiting their stock, then send out more stock to "meet" that demand. That's it. It lasts like a month.
I didn't say anything about that anywhere in my post you rabid gremlin. Cool your jets son.

Add some Amibos.

We're on the internet, son. You should have matched his anger. Now I'm mad too AT YOU!

And Switch will be different because…

Because the Switch's first year is peppered with good games.

Honestly lets wait and see how many get pushed back.

Don't worry, we won't fail to remind you at the end of the year.

The only one with a chance is Xenoblade Chronicles 2, nonetheless this is a better first year than all the other systems, better than their second and third years too, I just want to see a fucking trailer for Story of Seasons Switch.

I don't share your blind optimism.

Nintendo admitted that Mario Odyssey was ready for release now but wanted to hold it back, probably for the holiday season, Splatoon 2 is supposed to be mostly finished too, what else are they going to delay into next year, Arms? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Breath of the Wild? The only one that looked iffy was Xenoblade chronicles 2.

That's where you're wrong, kiddo.

Cap my post if you like. I predict the Switch will do well. The novelty of a home/mobile console is more than enough for normalfags who have, in the past, bought consoles that had no good games for a year or more. If they buy that shit, they'll buy this. You forget we live in a consumerist culture in which people are guaranteed to buy any latest thing regardless of it's merit & the rest of the herd swiftly follows behind.

sometimes i get the feeling someone is trying to take down nintendo from the inside.

Underrated post

Somehow Holla Forums has forgotten the palettes of unsold wii us despite being the ones circlejerking about them for months after the launch.

B^U

Just day already consoles.

This kills the nintendrone shill.

ITT anons don't understand BASIC SUPPLY AND DEMAND. YOU COCKSUCKERS ARE FUCKING RETARDED.

Artificial scarcity may work on amiibos, because those are collectibles and "rarity" makes people want them more. That's psychological, which is why collectibles ALWAYS work that way. There is little to no money lost on excess stock because the POINT of collectibles is that there is not a whole lot of them. Why do you think some people buy Amiibos and don't unbox them? They expect them to grow in value as a result of rarity.

This is not so on consoles. Nintendo is concerned that people will not buy enough Switches, so they are not producing a lot of Switches. That way, if sales underperforms, there's not a shitton of leftover consoles. The scarcity of Switch consoles is a result of CONCERN from Nintendo that it will not sell well enough on launch to justify producing more. For FUCK'S sake, if artificial scarcity was this MAGICAL SALES TECHNIQUE, why isn't Sony and Microsoft doing it? Dumbass Nintendo babies.

The artificial scarcity is a sign that Nintendo is really scared about the Switch bombing. Have you ever even taken an ECON class? Jesus.

Why would anyone get this shit at launch?

see

and others more.

But yeah, some retards on Holla Forums actually believe this is some sort of strategy on nintendo's part to keep people wanting the switch, like that's something a company benefits from in any way…

You fuckers need to take Economics 101, because holy shit is this embarrassing.

Thats what you get with boards like Holla Forums here

They did the same thing with the Wii you underage dipshit.

No, they had a shortage of Wiis, you fucking retard. A company having shortages in the past doesn't mean that every shortage is a conspiracy or some marketing scam.

Kill yourself Nintendrone.

Best way to kill online activity for 500.

Getting a headstart on piracy by never updating from base firmware/having a launch system to fuck around with?

I couldn't give two fucks about Nintendo. You can't just yell "Nintendrone" when you get called out for being wrong and stupid.

This dude speaks the truth.

claiming Holla Forums understands economics any better

They clearly have a better grasp of economics judging from debates between those two boards.

i dont remember how i named all my RCT .webms someone else post them

oh no i member

true, its easy to make leftypol fumble with their own concepts
just ask "so how would that work? specifically…"
they typically cant explain anything specifically but will refer you to 50 books to explain something very complex like "where is the line drawn between private property like the clothes on your back and private property like land"
inb4 someone posts a quote from a dead communist

Well I do but I didn't visit online communities at the time and english imageboards weren't a thing.

Switch is just another shitty console that will be emulated on PC 6-12 months after release.

It depends. Emulation these days is harder not just because of the modern hardware, but because you also have to deal with operating systems and APIs. And there are also newer challenges like power states. Maybe someone will pick a bunch of products that have the switch's hardware and run an open operating system like android and manage to write a hardware emulator faster than is usual, but fucking around with the software is a whole other beast.

I'm moderately interested in the Switch, so I'll be taking the moderate approach: wait until there's an unlimited number of both units and reviews, the price drops, and the library expands.

I look forward to the day when console emulators can be created as quickly as cracks, so I can just download the new console on launch day.

shovelknight.
Snipperclips
Homebrew channel, given how fast those guys work.

Clearly it will work, as long as Nintendo stops after initial release. Those fags who think they got some rare shit won't be happy once they realize they got conned and Nintendo quickly stocks stores with Switches that is, if Nintendo still remembers how to make money

at least when it happened with the ps2 there was a fucking fire as the factory

Nintendo do exactly the same thing with amiibos and physical releases, they create an artificially low supply to make things seem rarer and more successful than they actually are. All the while keeping the price up and the risk low on their end, it's a heavily anticonsumeristic practice.

It's the same thing that happened with the Wii U. It was out of stock for nearly the entire first year after release.

Anyone talking about how artificial scarcity works for video game consoles really need to look at the history of the Wii U long before it was confirmed for dead.

You are one fucking dense motherfucker, aren't you?

Just like the Xbox, right? Boy I sure do love playing Jet Set Radio Future on PC at 1080p 60fps!

Nintendo can go fuck themselves if they think I´m gonna buy their scalperfriendly console at that fucking pricetag. I have a Vita and a PSTV for my portable to tv needs

Every Nintendo console gets emulated pretty quickly due to having hardware and software a decade out of date. The Wii U probably set a record.

It certainly had more than three worthwile exclusives, but your post smells like bait.

Here's a fucking crazy idea: maybe Nintendo just doesn't want to manufacture a lot of Switch systems until all the games that will actually sell the Switch release? After all, no one is going to buy a console that has no games, but games need time to get made and be released, so maybe, just maybe, the reason there won't be a lot of Switch systems available at launch is because they know there isn't going to be a lot of people who will want to buy a game-less system?