Dark Cloud

Why does no one talk about this game any more? It was pretty fun

I think the second one stole its thunder.

Played the demo when i first got my PS2 years ago

10/10, innovation of the century.

Because the second game is better.

Both games tend to get brought up in PS2 threads at least.

because it's pretty bad. The town building system is fun but it's never fully realized. The combat is really boring and it's best just to cheese everything with a ranged character. It's got its moments but it's really a very mediocre game.

Still part of my childhood, and I'm happy to say I finally took the time to beat it recently. Now to play the second one which is apparently much better.

Why does nobody make template threads anymore? Oh wait they do, i'm posting in one right now.

The second one outdid it in every way.

go cry about it somewhere else fag, we're talking about video games

Yes, now that the dust has settled, what does Holla Forums think of Dark Cloud?

I played it as a kid, got to the second town, and then dropped it forever because I got hit with the gamebreaking bug that renders your save worthless.
It also had such amazing bugs like

2 is a vast improvement in every possible way.

are these bugs still in the dark cloud on psn?

yep you need to complete towns to progress that's the name of the game fam
sorta, it's random when you'll get them but everything is always dropped by something on a dungeon floor. certain things are placed deliberately such as xiao. The game wants you to have certain buildings complete by certain floors, so you'll always get those items at some point earlier in the dungeon.

not much of a fucking but yes, it can withhold those items up 'til the floor previous to the one they are needed.

you can reposition buildings at any time, and even then, unwinnable? I don't think so. Maybe because I listened to the villagers this wasn't a problem for me, but I don't think it's a problem period.

Sony doesn't do jack shit to PSN releases, so yes.

No, that's the problem. The game can actually not give you the items you need and you run out of orbs to open, so the game becomes unwinnable. It's possible at multiple points in the game, but the only one that's likely enough for people to notice in casual play is the second town.
If you place the buildings in the wrong order in the first town, the game bugs out and permanently prevents you from completing the village, which renders the game unwinnable.

played through the first two areas dozens of time as a child and never had it happen. I imagine child me would be far more prone to fucking up so I'd need to see some proof here.

considering you can change the village order at any time, I'd need to see proof here too. Otherwise I just don't believe you and will insist that isn't the case.

I've never even heard of either of those things happening.

so this is something that can just happen in casual play or do you have to go out of your to mess it up? how could they let such bugs through?

The gaffer event isn't a bug though

If you don't believe me, speedrun the beginning of the game, then place the old man's shop before Paige's house. You're permanently locked out of being able to place Paige's house, which makes the game unwinnable.

As for the second town, it's entirely possible to not get enough parts to connect the river, but that's harder to prove because it's pure luck whether the "bug" happens. We're talking about a game where you can edit the game's memory by dicking around with the shop menu, so bugs aren't very surprising.

No? The event just happens different. Gaffer gets hurt and sells you less things, or pike helps gaffer set up the sign to his buggy and you get many more things you can buy.

The game has floor checks which determines if you have done certain events in the town you're rebuilding. If you only got 1 or 2 river pieces in the previous floors, it'll literally give you 8 parts of the river for an entire floor until you have the exact amount needed.

Agreed
Xiao is too lewd

The Gaffer event and the bug are seperate. Gaffer's inventory is permanently gimped if you finish his shop before placing Pike. I'm talking about placing the shop before Paige's house As for the river parts, I doubt I'd be able to prove it without livestreaming myself speedrunning that section multiple times until it decides to fuck me, and I'm sure as hell not going to run that part of the game multiple times in a row.

For faggots like you we have those YLYL LOL threads

I'm not certain about paige's house being unplaceable, but I do know the game has logic that is easily observable so you can and will always get certain items by the time you reach a certain floor in a dungeon.

Went to play through it years ago, got to the Bull/Minotaur you have to kill with explosive barrels. Rage quit and never played it again. Liked the town building parts.

im sold on the game

the opening song is probably the best part of the game, and xiao's spats

Too bad she and all the other characters have practically no development.

it's not really that kind of game, is it?

What do you mean?

It's not a game where character development really matters, it's not really a story heavy game, it's a game about exploring dungeons and building towns. It has a few light character moments but I'm not like expecting panzer dragoon saga sort of character moments that drive the story. The characters are all fun and unique and have little stories, but they aren't really important. Just elements of building an adventure about restoring and saving the world.

The second game has a lot more of a story, though it's mostly shit.

I'm not very surprised. Lots of RPGs at the time were still trying to ape the successes of 5th generation mega-rpgs like pic related and they figured the best thing to do was pile on the story stuff rather than what made the story moments really stand out.

Weapon durability

It's not that hard to keep a fucking autorepair powder and a bunch of repair powder around, user.

Holla Forums doesn't talk about good games.

Dubs confirm you are my Sega and Panzer Dragoon nigga.

That ice princess fucking sucks

Yeah but Queens is the best town.

Am I missing something while playing this? Last time I tried, I got past the snake in the second dungeon before giving up, because I was spending all my money on repair powder just trying to keep my weapons from breaking, which was becoming a losing battle.

was there any reason to fish in this game?
I never bothered to fish in the first game, but it was very fun in the second game.

I personally loved Queen's dungeon, especially as it is the easiest dungeon to get into the secret zones fuck the castle, it was cool, but with the bug that stops you from going into that secret zone, it wasn't as fun

If you fished enough, you could get points to get shit, though there was easier ways to get gems.

Yeah there was a bug where i was missing 1 sign in the starting town and if i finished building the shop i couldn't make the building necessary to fight the dungeon boss.

This. Over half of the boss fights are 10min+ of repeating the exact same strategy.

Can confirm, you can actually use up your multi-use georama parts, like torches etc. without finishing Cacao's hut if you think other buildings are more important or just randomly build them in any order, making it impossible to progress to the snake boss since the item to start the fight is from Cacao. Happened to me.

The demo in general was pretty comfy

Games didn't fuck around then. I lost a couple weapons to durability because when they broke, they broke for good and there was no getting them back.

Fishing is the easiest way to get upgrade gems.

I've never played the first one but 2 is my favorite RPG of all tine.

Because it's been years since even the second came out and Sony is too invested in the "mature gamers such as myself" audience while Level 5 is too busy milking shota dick to bother with a new one.

Sucks DC2 ended up going with randomly generated dungeons. If it wasn't for that I'd probably be able to replay it easily.

Doesn't even allow anyone to do it themselves either.

yeah i know, oppai loli is all the rage these days

I Couldn't enjoy this game at all as a kid, so i never came back to it.

I hated these games. 2 had a really comfy song for one of the areas but I forget which one. I don't like anything Level 5 does.

A real shame because I had the demo and fucking loved it and would play it over and over. Then when I finally got the game it was kinda shitty. I did like the comfiness of the towns once you finished them though.

Dark Cloud 2 is better though.

The only thing I remember about DC2 was having to bust multiple nuts to Monica whenever I tried to play it. Maybe I should dig my PS2 up and see if I can get some nostalgia boners from it.

Because it's a massive grind, and some of the cheese methods are equally as grind worthy as playing it regularly. I should know, it's how I basically played the whole game to compensate for the majority of my party falling behind.

You can't

The base game itself had a really rushed development for wanting to be a launch title and the hackjob localization didn't help.
The US release has bugs which prevent you from accessing certain areas in later dungeons on top of having dialogue filled with typos and generally bad translation.
I've been told that the PAL release fixes some stuff but I am not gonna play this again at a slower framerate, especially when its completely invalidated by Dark Cloud 2.

I kept dying in the 1st dungeon of dehydration and starvation. For the life of me, couldn't figure out how to get it together.

I played this but never quite finished it I don't think. I might go back and do it. I really liked the building and the comfy atmosphere of a town you've painstakingly put together as life begins to come back to it. It's definitely a game I look back at fondly.

How hard would it be to finish? Is it really worth dusting off my old ps2, getting all dusty and I go under my table to plug it in

I remember this beauty

I beat it recently for the first time. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, it's just a game I kept coming back to over the years that I loved at first but kept quitting when I fucked something up, usually breaking a weapon without saving for ages.

Combat is pretty bland, there's no reason really to play as any of the other characters other than Toan and the flying rabbit guy at the end, just to skip Xiao's jumping animation.

The main appeal to me back when it first came out was the town building aspect. But since you've only ever got a set amount of pieces and you have to build it a certain way to get a reward. But there's only 4 towns to build and the only one where you get to customise it the most, is Nolan village because the requests are so simple.

The randomised dungeons aren't really great either. As soon as you've entered the first floor, you've basically explored every single floor in that dungeon.

One thing I never understood though, they added the 100 floor dungeon challenge at the end to make up for not putting an item in the EU/NA versions of the game to get into the back of the time travel dungeon. Why didn't they just add the item into the game instead?

A shame she didn't get more nice fanart.

The fist game is good but has some major flaws, the second one improved on everything.
Shame we will never see a third one, Level5 seems adamant on never touching the IP again.

I'm actually playing the first game right now, I'm at Queens. Taking a break from it now for the moment. What does a town that satisfies everybody's demands do?

you get rewards

Oh.

All I remember is Norune's gives you a super move

Gems, as noted previously, but also some good weapons, depending on how soon you build up your Fish Points. Getting a better hammer for Goro that way was a fucking godsend, because he is the WORST character in DC1 before you start upgrading him. Worst attack speed and range, and the switches that require you to switch to him are annoying, as you will almost always activate the help text when trying to hammer the goddamn switch.

cheap Zelda clone

Are there lego-themed point and click adventures? This sounds like an incredibly comfy thing and I hope it exists.

>>>/loli/
fuck off

>>>/shota/

Because fuck 100%ing that game because of all the shit that can PERMANENTLY go wrong if you didn't know in advance not to put person x and house y down until you have person a and house b down.
It's like a fucking desk that breaks if you put it together in slightly the wrong order and doesn't come with instructions.
FUCKING OLD GAFFER

Dude just use bombs.

Dragon quest builders was this game's spiritual successor. Moreso than dark cloud 2.

You could have just asked if you wanted more.

unfortunately most of the xiao fanart sucks :^)

PC release when?

Pls I dont wanna buy a Vita or PS4 for one fucking game

u wot

The meat of Dark Cloud was in the weapon building, not the town building.

It's SquareEnix so never
You'd have to be daft to put a Minecraft knockoff that fixes everything on PC

To be fair, if Sony has Level-5 make a new Dark Cloud; it would be a minecraft knockoff.

OMG, those pics. Have to emulate that now. Just for the gameplay and the story.

Anyone know how this well emulates in pcsx2 on old processors? Like core2duos?

is there any reason to get the PSN versions over just emulating them?

Trophies and/or convenience. There's no additional content.

For whatever reason, I always thought she was supposed to be a catgirl.
I guess maybe the one time I played the game, she was in the catgirl costume.
Almost convinced me to get the game myself, but what little I played was terribly boring.