What's with every shallow casual game trying to become an "Esport"?

What's with every shallow casual game trying to become an "Esport"?
For example this shit game has a whole sub division dedicated to Esports despite the fact that their game has a low skill ceiling, is unbalanced and has a boring static meta of picking the exact same OP characters.

Other urls found in this thread:

overwatch.metabomb.net/gameplay-guides/overwatch-best-heroes-tier-list-rankings-18-01-2017
us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20752553186
i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/287/578/6ce.png
4chandata.org/v/Why-don-t-you-like-skill-based-movement--v--a160794
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Melee is a fucking e-sport, do i need to say more?

Melee has a high skill ceiling and has depth

You are a fucking idiot. Go back to cuckchan.

Esports is forced.
Popularity of a game generates esports from a desire of the community to test their skills against other people. See RTS, Fightan Games, any game with a competitive scene with no funding.
League, Overwatch etc are not about testing your skills against other people, its about winning.

it's literally a meme

A meme, a forced fucking meme, games that died because the forced e-sports faggotry MLG on my mind are Planetside 2, Battleborn, and Evolve.

Someone explain how Overwatch is shallow?

go play stalker kid

Pick 4 tanks 1 ana and 1 76. The game

I have played the shit out of it and enjoyed it. Overwatch isn't trying to be Stalker.

So I'll ask again, what makes Overwatch shallow?

It doesn't have depth. It doesn't have anything to give it depth.
Quake has twitch aiming, high skill weapons. map design and armor/ammo pick ups for example.
Overwatch has basic bitch MOBA abilities.

Also
There is no strategy. The easiest characters to play are also the most OP and you have to pick those same characters every game.

no bullet dynamics and being shallow uninteresting meta gameplay so girls can understand it

i.e. appealing to numale faggots and dykes like you makes games less interesting to normal people (see: your dead games)

Slower movement than other games, feelgood ultimates to give kills even if you're doing shit, team oriented gameplay so an individuals performance is downplayed in favour of 'teamwork', generous hitboxes/aim correction so you don't have to be as good at aiming, large variety of characters so it'll never be balanced, can't switch outside of your two weapons to adapt to situations, very little in the way of advanced techniques (even basic stuff like rocket jumping seems mostly absent), no real resource management other than HP.
It's better than a modern ironsight FPS. Might even be on par with CS:GO with all the downgrades.

theres ammo and cooldowns :^) what a meme game

Overwatch doesn't have ammo. Literally every weapon has infinite ammo.

It's okay, OP, we'll figure out some way to cure your retardation.

current ammo unless im being memed and theres characters that don't need to reload

Except there is ammo, what there isn't is the need to restock ammo. You still have magazines to consider and reloading to also consider, meaning knowing when to reload is more important than running off to find some ammo box which is bad game design.

This is how we know you're shit

Rather odd mechanic, really. I think it is meant entirely to force breaks/cooldowns. Not letting constant streams of bullets happen.

The characters that can constantly stream their stuff have limited range and/or mobility.

Because if succesful you've got retards buying their bullshit for a couple of years to try and be as good as the "professionals".

It's not like having a constantly changing meta is a requirement for something to be an esport, for how long have the only heavily used weapons in CS been the M4, the AK and the AWP?

The current meta is 3 tanks, 2 supports and a 76.
How are you ignorant of the game you shill?

How many FPS have you played exactly. One of the key things you have to track in quake is when certain guns respawn so you can maintain a constant supply of ammo while denying your opponent. Finding a gun has already been taken also provides you with information on what your opponent has.
Overwatch literally doesn't that in favour of 'twoguns, infinite ammo'.

I knew it. Overwatch fags literally never played another FPS before.

Except in those games ammo conservation and finding ammo boxes actually matters, in Overwatch it wouldn't matter and would be a nuisance and not a good thing.

There is no current meta, quit spewing memes. Each map requires different tactics, skillsets, and heroes to use. Only shitters believe there is a meta in order to cover up how bad they are at the game.

Doom, Quake, TFC, nearly every single FPS that is considered core to the genre. In those games, yes, it matters. In Overwatch it doesn't because the gameplay is totally different.

Speak for yourself, underage.

Overcucks are this retarded and casual.

Also
Holy shit, this is gold.

I like the lack of argument in your post. Really brings out how much of a cuckchanner you are.

The difference between Overwatch and something like UT or Quake is that you don't have to consider reloading and get ammo instead.

Quake and UT are more fast paced, so the ammo is used as a way to balance instead of impossible to defend pressure

While admittedly Overwatch is a slower paced game it's not slow to the point of Cowadooty. I'd classify it as something moderately paced.

>TF2 does not exist

Kek. Overtards will always say the most retarded shit.
Kek. So then why do people in competitive play the same people over and over?

TF2 does exist, and plays completely different than Overwatch. What are you even getting at?

Amazing

No, you are just too retarded to see it.
Overwatch clearly has a meta. If it didn't then you wouldn't get the same few characters played. In fact saying a game doesn't have a meta is fucking retarded. Pretty much every multiplayer game does you idiot.

Dude either you don't play overwatch or your not even past rank of 3300.

It has nothing to do with pacing, it's more along the lines of how much hit points vary between each character that would make every engagement be too brief as you'd have to run for an ammo box before wearing down most characters, barriers, turrets, etc. It'd make the game actually slower if ammo boxes were put in, and I'm sure people would object to that here.

Prove it.
Prove the same few characters get played on every map.

Because people have a tendency to lock themselves into characters/types/classes and generally won't expand.
Basically, they're ignoring how powerful it can be to change up a character or two and are just trying to brute-force their way into a win.

Now I'll agree that there is a meta along the lines of what characters might be best for a certain map and generally compliments in compositions.
But it is rather loose.

Basically the best "Meta" in overwatch is being able to simply adapt to your opposing team's idea of meta. Know when to put in another tank. Know when to change up your short range hard hitters for a long ranger. Know when you might need another healer or when you might even need to change your healer types.

You got to adapt to the situation.
LOTS of people don't though.

It has the same characters played in games over and over again.
It's also shallow trash with no depth.
Ok
overwatch.metabomb.net/gameplay-guides/overwatch-best-heroes-tier-list-rankings-18-01-2017

Not the esports teams apparently.
Since they all play roughly the same team comp.

You're right, TF2 has more technical depth and Overwatch has abilities and infinite ammo…

This is called pacing you retard

Yeah?
Well so fucking what?

Are esports fags the standards for how games should be played?
Or could it be that they get locked into a mindset and its an endless circle jerk of copying each other?

Exactly, well put user. For instance take the 2nd half of the Germany map where it goes from capturing a point to payload. It goes from a short-mid range arena with little aerial space to a more mid-to-long range arena with multiple perches and a large environmental hazard before the end of the stage. You have to adjust to that because shorter range characters tend to suffer once the payload makes the turn to go up the hill to the bridge. Roadhogs, Reapers, etc.

You've never even looked at a proper tier list before, have you?

Where's the proof?

Prove TF2 is more technically deep.

And that pacing would fucking suck.

Overwatch is at least a better esport than fucking Hearthstone

Rocket jumping and resource management.

Projectile based jumping exists in Overwatch, too, and it isn't technically deep in TF2 because of how easy it is to do and pull off with massive reward for little penalty. Rocket jumping in other FPS games is technically deeper.
Doesn't really matter when most TF2 maps are covered in ammo boxes making it trivial to get ammo.

If the best people playing the game do the same strategy over and over again how can you say that you know a better one?

Amazing coming from someone playing babies first shooter.
Ok, say all the tier lists that agree are false. You totally know more. It's all a conspiracy against your shit game.
It doesn't have shit abilities, is semi balanced and nearly every class is useful.

I guess they should just make all the ammo infinite and add reloads. It would be a much deeper game then!

I am actually in the middle of making a video about that.
Even madden is trying to become an Esport.

Very little variety in what you can play and very little strategy or skill required to succeed.

Are they the best?
I mean, there is a big assumption that is being taken here.
Yeah, they probably have built up lots of skill from hours and hours of practice but if you're only practicing the one thing over and over again you only get good at that one thing.
That's great for mechanical proficiency but are they really playing this thing to its fullest? You get right back into the problem of them just copying each other. none of them are going to break the "meta" that they trained for because they simply don't know how.
I wouldn't be surprised if the teams don't just train as a single fucking character the entire time.

I'm not saying I can beat an esports team like it was nothing but i'm just saying you should consider the environment.
What you're doing is like looking towards speed runners as the people who really know how to play a game. No they really don't. They just practiced a mechanical proficiency at doing the same fucking thing over and over and over again.

Except the meta changes every time blizzards makes another horrible unbalanced patch.
Players quickly switch to the OP and viable characters. This happens nearly every month. Next month the new meta will be a different set of characters and no one else will be useful.

But it is shallow. No one in Overwatch can do rocket jumping and well as the demo or soldier.

ITT: I'm shit a video games and i'm mad about it

If you say so.
I don't really give a fuck I just know what works when I play.
I really don't give enough of a shit about what ultra autists think is the best of the best in a game.

Not hard to get or maintain at all
Not a resource
Not hard to build up at all
Something that is so situational that it makes sense it chews up ammo.

How does that make Overwatch shallow if it's so easy to jump around with Demo or Soldier in TF2? How doesn't that make rocket and sticky jumping in TF2 more casual oriented?

This, OW's meta is as shit as LoL, and LoL was pretty much the worst e-sport in that aspect, glad Blizzard showed them how to make a game even more casual, their only specialty.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Fucking ledditors, GG was a mistake.

the main reason levels in FPS games aren't giant empty cubes filled with players is a bad design. ok

I have no idea what modern TF2 is like.
GG wasn't a mistake just lost its way like in the first fucking month.

Yeah, flying on a consistent set trajectory on a cooldown that requires no skill or thought to pull off. It's just a MOBA-style mobility technique. It lacks the technical depth and versatility of TF2 explosive jumping, which is what makes TF2's so impressive.

made*

Because these companies pay a lot of money to have their product promoted in a venue where it will gather a large viewership, create lots of discussion, thereby dominating more mindshare for customers, and sustaining its profitability and popularity. It's why Tracer being gay was this big deal, Blizzard knew it would be an excellent advertisement.

I don't think there's been a natural esports game being integrated into a competitive scene since perhaps project M? If fans are behind it, there's likely a legitimate interest in something about it. As far as FPS games go, the last legitimate one to develop a natural scene was quake 3 or CS, they both became relevant around the same time.

No, characters being capped so 3 people have to work together in order to perform a task a single character would be able to IS bad design, it's forced teamwork for casuals to fit in somehow, because they never cared about getting good at the game, and a game played by people who doesn't care about games and balanced to their low-skill needs is gonna be shit always, period.

as an OW player I agree with you, furthermore, the fact that developers keep "rebalancing" things to fit the esports needs just take away all the fun we could salvage from time to time, matchmaking is a joke, cheat detection is non-existant and encourages "pro" players to cheat, the ELO system is stupid for a team based game and also forces you onto one-sided matches if you win or lose one too many games.

You're defending the prime example of casual, low skillceiling game where somebody with brain damage and no hands can still be an annoyance to the enemy team, and where the community and devs would rather care about muh diversity than the game itself.
Just think about that for a moment. You know, between the stale tumblr memes and shipping your favorite waifus together.

Competing against others is a natural instinct of any person. The catch with e-sports is that it comes down to faggots shit at games playing shit games while taking something that exists for no reason other than fun seriously. Game tournaments themselves aren't cancerous at all nor the people who participate in them, and they have always existed. But what came to be known as e-sports is yet another tumor that actively makes games worse and brings the worst kind of people to this hobby. Just look at any highly popular e-sports game, they're all shit. Even the name itself is already retarded, gaming will never be a sport. It's literally pressing buttons.

Just fuck off back to reddit.

Please don't compare CS:GO with Overwatch. CS:GO requires positioning, self control, and decision making.

Like literally any other shooter ever including overwatch itself.
We get it, you're a 13 year old faggot from an irredeemable generation of idiots. Now fuck off.

You should spend a little more time on your games before you post here, then you would be smart and agree with me instead of needing to resort to insults in order to justify your love of casual trash.

Ironic shitposting is still ironic shitposting, you're really 13 aren't you?

Esports is basically the industry recognizing that some people enjoy getting better at games. For casual gaming, there are very little games designed with the intent that you can get better at them.
The problem is that for most casuals, spending time trying to get better at games is seen as a complete waste. The solution is of course to throw down a few minor cash prizes and call it a sport.

Since the games are still designed for a casual audience, they are usually still plagued with the shit design that casuals eat up. Overwatch is a good example, but a lot more "esports" follow the same few design guidelines:
>Microtransactions, often with cosmetics that completely clash with the games visual style. The wackier the better. And don't forget gold variants!

All it is is companies trying to cash in on competitive whilst still catering to casuals. If the game was supposed to be an actual esport, they would spend time actually improve the esports aspect. The only game that has made any attempt doing so is Dota 2, but that is literally a port of an existing esport, and they barely made any improvements post-launch.

Overwatch rocket jumps don't require you to damage yourself, use a shot of primary ammo, or consider where to shoot for the trajectory you want. They also doesn't allow you to perform consecutive rocket jumps off of multiple surfaces, which increases the reward by giving you better movement, but increases the risk by racking up more self damage and having a higher chance to fuck up the jump.

Overwatch gives everyone a button that throws you up in the air so every retard can do it. TF2 gives you a mechanic that you need to practice to master.

actually there are, BUT they are certainly not the best choice for characters like Pharah.

bane? do you have vid of it

You haven't heard about talent trees, do you?

The features I'm referring aren't gameplay features.
Being able to drop in and watch any game live.
Being able to save replays as well as obtain replays from other people's matches.
A combat log that actually shows what and when everything occurred.
Being capable of hosting your own games, offline, over LAN, without some shitty external service hanging over you.
Actually letting people go and host their own fucking tournaments instead of demanding that everything has to go through your official tournament.

Quite frankly, the only thing that Dota 2 misses is the ability to obtain older versions of the game. But aside from that, its got everything it should, and modifying the game yourself is possible with custom maps, so yeah.

Meanwhile, you have Heroes of the Storm where you have to fast-forward the entire game if you want to reconnect, a complete inability to just drop in and spectate in pretty much all fucking games, and don't even THINK you're allowed to play a game without being connected to the developers' digital distribution system that also demands that you play the newest version at all times.
What pisses me off about most esports is that the developers act as if they fucking own the community. It should come to no surprise that those games fail miserably on the esports front, as nobody wants to invest in something like that.

So what you're saying is that we're living in a pussified version of Rollerball.

I've noticed that people cite Overwatch's character abilities as a reason for it being casual. Can anyone explain to me why that is?

Because they are akin to instant gratification compensating for the lack of skill.

That's every thread

Pretty much this.

Companies keep pushing for it too since if it happens to take off, like how Rocket League did, then they can market the fuck out of it and exploit it for easy money. Look at how much non-game shit overwatch makes.

Money.

The suits that are in charge of video games now look at E sports as an untapped revenue stream. You get people buying the game, and paying for DLC, but now there's a whole new aftermarket of sponsorships and streaming rights if you can make people get a boner for watching others play the game too.

This may get some bullying but even as an OW I can't ignore when people get triggered when someone tells them their game rewards the lack of skills.
us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20752553186

It's them recgnoizing that there are enough fucking retards out there they can coax into beliving that if they play just long enough they'll become famous.
Thus games like Overshit are born that have the sole purpose to keep the retard believing that he did everything right and the only reason his team lost was becasue everyone else sucked, but not him, thus glueing hium onto the game in the hope that he spernds more sheckles on it.

Thinking overwatch has a high skill ceiling

It's a form of promotion or advertising the way I see it. Another might be that it's seeing what a "pro" can do relative to themselves like how everyone plays football (soccer) at some point in their lives and watching a pro is interesting and understandable. Then again, I don't really get sports in general. I even think it's pretty cuck to watch it.

Reminder: while competitive gaming was good, Holla Forums ALWAYS hated competitive gaming, relentlessly mocked it and then celebrated its death. It's been a decade of various Holla Forums boards for me now and I've observed first-hand how fucking pathetic you all are. The idea of me being better at a video game than you scares you so much you feel the need to mock me and play easier games where I can't beat you.

I've played competitive fps. I've sunk thousands of hours into competitive games back in the day, and got very far each time. Then I watched my great love succumb to you whiny fucking cunts mocking skilled players because you wanted your ezmode experiences. Holla Forums itself has consistently shat on anyone who admits to being good at a game competitively. You have exactly zero respect or understanding for what makes an arena shooter good because you haven't got the first idea. You've never been good at anything yourself. I fucking hate you. I fucking hate you all so fucking much you talentless fucking hacks.

Esports is dead. CS:GO is a 4/10 game at best. Normalfags undermine every game with mass cheating. MOBAs are old. Modern games have zero capacity for skill and they will never again, mostly because of you faggots, honestly. Not the normalfags, but the ones who are supposed to be good at games. You shied away from competitive gaming and let worthless normalfags have it. Now it's gone for good.

Reminder II: Overwatch is a worthless game designed to make money.

Reminder: competetive gaming was never good.

Don't pretend to be an oldfag when you're obviously new.

I really mean it when I say you're trash. You destroy a good thing out of self-interest.

Maybe you're not nearly as adept at this as you think you are because I've been "here" since STALKER summer 2007 on Holla Forums.

K, you had your 5 minutes of fame and a chance to act like a fag. Now go back.
>>>/reddit/

You've even managed to be low-skill at posting on imageboards!

I really mean it when I say you're trash. I destroyed nothing, competetive gaming destroyed itself with its own pointlessness.

getting good at a game means sucking at it for a significant amount of time during which nobody cares about you.

yes, competitive gaming requires an audience to develop competitive gaming-related skills

You don't even know! You don't even know that before your time, there were no fucking prizes or leagues or LCS or ESL or anything artificial. It's exact fucking opposite you moron, competitive gaming was good while it was still community-run and free of artificial prizes and rewards. Holy fuck you're bad at this.

yes, multiplayer games require a good community to enjoy. I also play singleplayer games but why bring that up?

A good thing died because people like you couldn't handle it. That's really all there is to it. It's not about an E-career, or prizes, as you seriously thought - it was about the incredibly strong and warm sense of community built around a complex, technical, well-made game.

It was, for a really long time! Why are you arguing this point when you clearly don't have any information to work with in the first place?

Someone is extra salty they cant play games on a stage while pretending it's all about skill

Jesus christ the e-sports faggot went full retard from his first post, but every time he posts again he somehow manages to go even deeper in the retard scale.

It isn't. I literally said that in the post you just replied to.

Both of you instantly defaulted to "WOW THIS GUY LOL" because you literally have no arguments. Your shit-tier insults don't sway an honest and accurate take on competitive gaming.

EVEN NOW, THIS IS STILL HAPPENING.

Same reason that any sport gets pushed: Money

Streaming's become a big moneymaker recently, so streaming high profile events where "the best go head to head" while those players themselves can stream their own shit, means it's a burgeoning industry.

If no one was watching, there wouldn't be an industry, so there wouldn't really be any eSports/basketball/football/soccer/golf/baseball.

What I'll say in regard to why it's "shallow games" that are doing it is because low skill ceiling means low barrier for entry. Low barrier for entry means more audience/participant potential. Why does everyone watch people throwing a football? It's really fucking simple, people play pick-up basketball all the time. Sure the guys doing it on TV are the best at doing it, but who gives a shit about people doing simple stuff amirite? Why aren't we all watching people do complex shit besides it usually being much slower, calmer and with less broad appeal? Why aren't people funding that incredibly niche product?

Just don't watch eSports. Real simple solution. There's money to be made and they're going to go and make it, you cannot stop it. It's a consequence of the market.

/thread
its why people spend thousands of dollars of garbage merch irl

This isn't every day reddit, this is advanced reddit.

Since this is now an OW thread, I want to ask what drives people who have never played a shooter to play OW and get hooked? Look at the gooks, you can call them Blizzdrones or PCfags however they're legitimately hooked, but when you give them CS or Quake, they run away from that faster than when they hear a nuke warning from NK. I also know a lot of people personally who only play ASSFAGGOTS, but they too like this game so much and not really give a shit about other shooters. What does OW have that allows itself to replace Halo as the current title holder of "babby's 1st shooter"?

Being an ability-based team-orientated shooter. Especially so with its "fuck you, I win" ultimate system. Every character can be picked up and instantly put into a fight because it takes all of five seconds to learn what skill does what and throw them about. No need to learn how to aim or control opponents since you already know who can potentially escape based on their abilities and since theres minimal chance of being flanked you just walk forward.

Blizzard's still butthurt it missed out on DoTA and SC1 money.

Overall, though, e-sports artificially extends the lifespan of a game, allowing a publisher to make far more money from it than if it were a regular installment of a game with multiplayer, like Battlefield, for example.

You answered your own question. It's not a standard FPS; it's a post-MOBA Hero Shooter. You pick a hero and learn how to play their one role, much like any MOBA. It also has sparkly characters, incredible PR and solid pedigree to most people with an interest in games.

The reason something like Quake or CS isn't high on their list (aside from it not looking as nice) is that you're not learning it from the approach of "what role do I fill?", it's the approach of "how do I play this game?" You arguably have to think of and train for much more in playing CS/Quake, hell even Halo, specifically because there is only one character build so you have to master the game, not just your role. In older FPS, you have no hero ability, you have no unique features, you aren't a special snowflake, you're a part of a group of people that are running solely on skill. If you're bad at the game, there's no hope of maybe carving a niche at being good with one build, you're just gonna have to give up or git gud. Anyone could find a role they do ok at in Overwatch, it's built that way.

Not just money, but fame too. once eSports has been pushed into the mainstream by business interests, it becomes the domain of glory-seeking normalfags, and the meaning of the competition is lost. Ironically, the people viciously attacking me make the accusation that I enjoy competitive games for the sake of popularity - talk about projection!

Do you really think you're the first anti-competitive gamer to kvetch at me? I'm sorry you were never good. I've seen your type suffer badly from sour grapes for a long time now.

What do you mean?

Despite your autistic sperg out, you're not too far from the truth. However, you, like some of the people you are complaining about, are conflating competitive gaming and professional gaming aka eSports.

What Holla Forums hates is professional gaming - the attention whoring and profitization of people playing games, which goes against the amateur competition people enjoyed personally. This is due to the paradigm shift in the selection of these competitive games due to the introduction of money - where it turns from deeper, skillful games enjoyed by a small handful of autists to a mass-marketing product with made with a low barrier of entry for viewers and players. This also goes with Holla Forums's hatred of casuals and the dumbing down of games.

To someone conflating eSports with competitive gaming as I previously mentioned, you may come to the conclusion that Holla Forums is a bunch of casuals in denial that have the same sour grapes you're mentioning and there are people here who do genuinely think like this. In reality however, what Holla Forums hates is the exploitation of genuine competition among enthusiasts and it being turned into yet another business venture for attention whores and big corporations responsible for ruining video games. Nowhere is this more prominent in the fighting game threads, with fighting games being one of the last few areas in which the competitive games are primarily enjoyed by enthusiasts, and where the hatred for eSports is made clear with the reaction to Capcom's moves with SFV and attempting to turn it into a big eSport.

You are incorrect. Holla Forums has consistently attacked and mocked any mention of competitive gaming on its boards for at least as far back as 2007. Do you think I never wanted to bring it up or talk about it on Holla Forums during that time? It was simply never possible. Any time someone brought up quake or CS they'd be shot down right away. I had to stick to smaller forums on the side to stay in touch with competitive gamers because Holla Forums threw a fit any time competition came up. Holla Forums has only ever been hardcore at non-competitive gaming.

Its Blizzard, dude, they created the MMO genre with WoW and, like, Starcraft is really popular in Korea.

I agree with you to a certain extent. Fame is a byproduct of competition with an audience, but eSports actually is meritocratic. The bigger it gets, the more that will become the case, because people with that skill will do it as a way of paying the bills rather than just a way to get a cheque if they win. The fameseekers that want to get into the actual leagues will get their fucking dicks kicked off by professionals and eventually become "ex-professional players" that write for websites we hate.

No matter how big the NBA gets, every single guy in that league can ball. The people that are there because they want to be a famous athlete are still good ballers, they just have a different reason for being there. I'm sure on some level they also understand that if they don't compete at the highest level they can, they aren't gonna be playing much longer. It's almost an incentive to git gud. You want the rewards? Git fucking gud.

So yeah, you'll start seeing more fame hungry faggots getting into the scene, but if they actually survive getting reamed out and stick around they will actually be good at the game they play. They have to be by measure of the system.

If you aren't from here, a jaded cynic or a casual baby, then a highly rated game that everyone's playing from Blizzard, a company that makes highly rated games that everyone is playing, is excellent pedigree. It's born of good stock, it's come from a noble background, etc.

I think Holla Forums has consistently attacked and mocked your retardation and pretending to not be a month-old newfag, user. It seems like your brain has issues processing stimulus. Maybe you should go to a doctor an get tested for autism.

No, you're just satisfied with garbage because you know no better.

Sorry user, it's too late. As you said, I have already been vindicated.

Huh, that sounds contradictory since you've only been here for a few weeks.
Weeks aren't a long time user.

Overwatch sucks, you will never be good at anything in your life, you are defending the people who are draining the life and spirit out of your hobby, and I enjoy this.

What the fuck kind of gay ass posting style is this

It wasn't a slight at anyone in particular, but if you're mad then I guess that's your deal, friend.

What are you going to do about it short of telling people to stop liking what you don't like and start liking what you do like? I thought this sort of impotent rage was only seen at modern protests?

I agree with you
I think you need to clam down dude, i know you're from reddit and haven't been here for long as most other people so you haven't experienced as many newfags such as yourself as others have but contrary to what you think you're making it too obvious you're very new.

You're a special kind of new.

It's not nice to lie. The high-level gameplay, fighting games, and various Souls threads we've had and have right now instantly prove you wrong.

Don't teach him to fit in, every little bit he knows about how this place was even if it is just a few weeks ago is him doing it better the next time he tries to pretend he's from here.

Just repeatedly call him a faggot or whatever and make him angrier, even if he wants to stay here if we constantly associate his visits to this website, eventually it'll wire his brain up in a way every time he tries to go over here he's overwhelmed with negative feelings and dread that leads him to get the fuck out like he should.

When I've clearly buttblasted 3-4 people at once to the point they're mining their reaction pictures folder to get back at me, it's a lot of fun to just sit in the thread being right while cheetos-breathed anons struggle with it.

I play videogames non-competitively now and moved on from that scene because it was beyond saving. That said, the kind of user in this thread gleefully helped destroy it.

Not new though. I even helped make the original flying STALKER car memes. Dunning-Kruger at work, as in most of this thread. You don't recognize how trash you are. Holla Forums never talked about quake and if you tried to bring up quake 3 (a competitive game) for discussion about its competitive side, you would be shot down by random faggots greentexting you with

>competitive gaming

And that is who you still are and will always be.

Reminder that this user feels this way because I pointed out what happened with competitive gaming and then laughed at his reaction pictures. All of two people so far have managed to write a coherent reply. You people are worse than goons.

So you are a disgusting pleb who wont ever see your own skills develop and cannot possibly have some feeling of community with other players?

Talk about sour grapes.

Forgot part of the text, i meant to say "if we constantly associate his visits to this website with negative responses"

Sure, I totally believe you. btw I invented ishygddt

Reminder that constantly putting "reminder" in front of everything you say is autistic as fuck.

Different people play games for different reasons. I never grew up with online multiplayer, let alone competitive gaming, so I have no reason to give a fuck. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way too. Call me a casual, I don't care.
If you want competitive vidya to be respected here so bad, what are you doing about it? You can do better than impotently whining. 8/v/ has a small following of Xonotic players, and a larger following of Doom players. Make a thread every now and again and organize some servers. Be the change you want to see, and all that. If you end up getting shitposted at, try harder.

Also as a special present from a competitive shitposter, click Holla Forums's [Options] -> Theme and paste div.post.you {background-color: lightcyan;} on it's own line. It'll highlight your own posts in a different shade of blue, so you can easily see them. Now you can bring your competitive shitposting to the next level, and you didn't even have to pay for an Holla Forums premium account.

Reminder reminded.

Fair enough, I was looking at it from the perspective of the audience rather than a competitor. If you're directly competing then seeing what amounts to attention whores get placed in teams and have deals cut must be a shame, but at the same time they won't necessarily last long unless they're good. If you're in a competitive sport, you really do have to put your money where your mouth is, lip service won't match your KD ratio and you'll get dropped for someone better.

And I got the first dubs.

Now you made me want to know what the user who actually got the first dubs is like.

Perhaps we are not meant to know.

Wait a minute, user. You made the point that Holla Forums doesn't hate competitive gaming, and I pointed out how competitive gaming threads were taboo on Holla Forums until MOBA generals started to take hold. Why are you now talking about something else?

Ukrainian farming simulator was good times. You faggots were nowhere around then.

Do eSports need audiences and fame and popularity? Not in my mind, but maybe one day they'll bounce back from this commercial era yet.

uh-oh.
We can still guess.
There's a big chance it was moot himself, but it was probably one of the people who tested the site out with a random shitpost once he announced it on irc.

You weren't around then either, babe.

No, but it's not a case of whether or not it needs it, it's just a case of whether or not people can see an opportunity to make money and whether or not they take it. Just how it goes, nothing we can do about it.

Not sure there's a way to bounce back from commercialism short of generating new content before the more commercial aspects of the industry find it. But honestly if you make a good multiplayer game and the players themselves stream that content, starts gaining traction, etc, there's just no way to stop it. It's how it goes.

If anything, Quake was the one game that Holla Forums has always respected competitively. The FGC too has always had a fanbase.

It was with games like TF2, Smash or MOBAs did Holla Forums really have a strong distaste for it as they typically lack depth or interest to watch if they arent the kinds of game you play.

Wait a second, you were actually there, weren't you?

This. People need to realize that competitive gaming and eSports are two different things. People playing Q3A in their basement LAN parties is not the sale as Tencent hosting televised LoL tourneys with product placement out the ass, and it's pretty clear what Holla Forums would actually take issue with here.

But that was before "dubs". Are unchecked dubs even truly dubs? If a post gets dubs in the middle of a thread and nobody checks it, does it make a sound?
My greatest question would be "who was the first to have their dubs checked". Perhaps dubs always have been, and we merely check them.

Oh boy

I didn't mention whether Holla Forums hates competitive gaming or not. I just gave an example of why someone wouldn't care, and said that if you want to get people into competitive vidya you should try pushing it a bit.
There's Doom and Xonotic. There's also Red Eclipse and potentially Sven Coop if you can find some good pvp maps. And that's only counting free games. If anything is a little harder to set up make an archive of it with idiotproof instructions, and stick a link to it somewhere obvious in your thread. I'm sure if you make it easy enough to get into a game you'll have people willing to play with you, and that can eventually end up as the non-cancerous competitive group you want.

Not "this" at all. Holla Forums did not want to hear about competitive gaming and still can't have a discussion about it. Precisely while competitive gaming was still somewhat grassroots, forum/community-organized was when Holla Forums went out of its way to shit all over it. Quake 3 was begrudgingly accepted as a good game but you still couldn't talk about Quake 3's comp scene. There'd be maybe 5 replies and a whole host of faggots screeching at you for daring to bring up competitive gaming.

Quake might have been begrudgingly admitted as being a good game, its competitive side was a joke to user (who now wants to emulate it with the likes of Overwatch anyway, ironically)

what kind of high-grade content would re-invigorate competitive gaming? Even WoW is beyond modern-day devs.

Sure thing bub

Why would he do that when he can angrily shitpost about how it's everyone elses fault he can't earn money playing CS:GO instead?

If you hate Holla Forums so much feel free to fuck off to somewhere else. There are whole forums and communities dedicated to competetive gaming, why come here where you think everyone hates it? Just so you can act a martyr about how much more special you are than everyone else?

not as soon as it was up or even the first day (i don't remember), but like the other user said i didn't care about digits since dubs weren't a thing. I was regularly on something awful back then and i saw a thread of an english clone of 2chan.

Oh.

Has it ever crossed your mind you might be the oldest oldfag in this whole website?

Tbqh I respect Smash of all things as a competitive game a lot more than whatever is being shat out by ActiBlizz and the like. They at least just formed a community out of "enthusiasm" (or autism) for the game and weren't in it for the non-existent money or the status (of being someone good at party games).

The only person doing anything "begrudgingly" here is you backpeddling on your revisionist history after being told repeatedly that you're full of shit.

I already said that I browsed competitive forums because Holla Forums wouldn't have any of it. You've spent 8 posts kvetching about points that were never made.

You don't understand the merits of competition for its own sake, do you? You don't know what you're missing, do you?

The only "E-sports" worthy genres are RTSs, Fighting Games, and maaaybe tactical FPSs and speedrunning.
Most "e-sports" games have pathetically low skill ceilings, making it useless to continue practicing beyond a certain point.

Too bad, that isn't what they took issue with. It's funny that you accuse me of revising history when you're clearly filling in the blanks of Holla Forums's past behaviour with how you expect they would have behaved. Amazingly shameless, user.

Also another thing, even if i cared about digits the thread with the first digits was probably already down by the time i went in. 4chan was a huge hit from the beginning since 2ch was appreciated by SA and SA had a huge userbase and moot making an english version of it was a genius idea that came out from nowhere and everybody loved.

My issue isn't necessarily the quality of the content, it's the market reaction to the content. If you make a great game, people will stream it. That's just how it is now. It's not an issue with quality of games, it's an issue with how people choose to spend their time in relation to games via watching streams or getting into watching eSports.

The best thing you could hope for would be complete collapse of the market, or at least video games. It would cease to be a spectator sport because no one would be watching, it'd just be people that do it for the joy of it.

Well, the possibility exists that much better made competitive games would be more robust against modern eSport markets. More of the same isn't going to cut it. A plethora of good content with many different competitions to choose from at once might undermine the eSport market's ability to focus audience attention on one or two specific games, and thus make the whole thing unprofitable to the unscrupulous.

Because you can make money without even needing to sell your game.

Is that go1den on the left? I would love to meet that dude in real life

I have played a lot of shit games in my life but I think Overwatch is the only game I found offensively boring.

I could not find a single thing that was fun in that game, everything seemed to be made to be as unappealing as possible.

Except all the tier lists and competitive games that use the same heroes over and over.

You're wrong though, you can't compete with modern e-sports because the whole thing is a race to the bottom, they become more and more casual so they can grab the twitch whores and teenage retards to stream and feel good about themselves, that's the source of their popularity.

it's a waifu game, that's all

Which is why if I ever wanted to get good at a game it would be something like a fighting game or Arena shooter where it is all based on my skill.

This i can agree, overshit has some top tier girls.

I wish games were all about saying "fuck you" to the player again. Think about how long a quake 3 has to practice to bunnyhop properly, or even a TF2 player has to practice to land airshots. There's no help or handholding, the games don't even let you know it's possible to do these things. It's all up to the player to figure out. However, if you want sales and popularity, you can't afford to make games with a skill curve like that. Gotta be comprehensible and playable out of the box. Everyone is an instant amateur.

Sure It's a distant hope, but it's true there's been a dearth of good competitive games. I have a lot of faith in what gamers could do with the right content at their disposal. Once the market begins to move in a different direction, perhaps.

I think I see what you mean. The way I'd liken it is to actual sports. We aren't really seeing "new" sports enter the realm of spectator sports, it's always the same half dozen that remain perennial. So if you actually make the competitive FPS game that truly takes ahold of the viewership, then there won't really be any alternatives that can match it.

eSports as a concept is still young compared to professional sports. There may be the chance for that to happen. I think maybe a big interference would be hardware. You're seeing constant improvement so software should (theoretically) be matching it. Soccer has rules changed every now and again, but it hasn't received any complete overhauls in a century to my knowledge. Maybe video games being more transient than an active sports is a contributor to there not being a de facto list of eSport games by genre. Sure people list their best games of given genres plenty, but there's no solid market or audience consensus yet. Maybe that's what we'll see from eSports. At least on the spectator level we'll see just what games people value.

I don't disagree with you, but simplicity is beneficial to an audience. If they can't follow what's going on to any real degree, they most likely won't appreciate what they're seeing beyond spectacle. The issue is a basic level of understanding, and you're not going to get that from more complex games which tend to either be much slower or completely incomprehensible unless you're one of the very slim niche that gets it.

You should be happy. If you like complex games, then eSports will never touch it and the people attracted to eSports will leave you and the games you like alone.

It's more about how obvious it is you're a newfag but you keep doubling down on your retardation while making it even clearer every time someone gets your panties on a twist.

Your friends gave up already, why are you still trying? The thread now has some decent people in it. Shoo.

Because OW is more like a MOBA than an FPS.

Quake 3 has a pathetically low skill ceiling?

Overwatch girls are fucking terrible son.

While I do agree that they act like a retard filter, they've also raised a generation of casuals.
While games like WoW, CoD,LoL and Halo do keep retards out of the few decent games out there, they also catch the youth that could had grown to have decent taste, perpetuating the production of more and more garbage vidya in the future.
It's a double edged sword whether we like or not, and regardless it's not like we can do jack shit about it.

You do type like a fucking redditor, even your comebacks are leddit tier, you stick out like a sore thumb it's sad to see you keep pretending you're fooling anyone here.

user, i'm sure you saw enough overshit ass GIFs to know that's not true.

You mean they either gave up on the thread or let it go because of the decent conversation it became. I just don't care, you have to go back to reddit.

How embarrassing.

Will you plebs stop projecting your own shameful redditor past onto me? This is just like receiving endless cheat accusations when trying to play on public servers - you will never recognize the real thing for what it is, but attack it instead. Very weak, user.

You refused the argument, repeated yourself over and over then tried to turn it around on me. You lost. Deal with it, anti-competitive user.

Why is it that the FGC is still around but RTS and Arena shooters basically died?

Reading comprehension is clearly not your forte.

Couldn't agree more. All you can do is criticise what you don't like in a way that's not just preaching to the choir, analyse and share the things you do like, and if you have the time start developing stuff you actually enjoy.

View casual babby shit as the gateway drug. "You've played that, now explore the medium." As an example, you may not like [Popular Band] and think they're an affront to [Genre], but of those fans you'll get some that want to explore more and get into [Older or less well known bands in the genre and where the genre came from]. They might go on to make stuff you actually like, all because they started with something you hated.

Just ignore the tripe and do the stuff you like, user. All you can really do.

literally who cares for overwatch porn expect horny little boys

Ehh

Horny little teens and horny little adults

Its because Blizzard made Starcraft which became a huge esport in Korea but they didnt keep control of it so other people made the money off tournaments featuring their game.

Starcraft 2 didnt make them as much as they wanted because a lot of the focus over in Korea is still on SC1.

I think with overwatch blizzard wanted to push a forced esport that didnt overlap with their existing strategy games. But at the same time they ran in to the problem that games need to be dumbed down for younger audiences playing on consoles.

because the last true arena games were painkiller, quake live and UT3. painkiller and UT3 are dead and quake live was raped and murdered.

the new "arena" games completely fail at capitalising on the void in the market and lack the features that made arena shooters back then popular.

it's really subjective when RTS games died but i'll say somewhere after C&C3

Yet these people probably never played a game with a high skill ceiling.

You forgot Arena FPS user.
Too bad the entire genre's only hope of being anything other than indie game tier is UT4 and that updates maybe once every 2 months.

I watched 3 seconds of that and it was already cancer, should i go on?

Posting in this thread really is exactly like being an extremely high-skilled played on a public server: the plebs will only think I'm cheating because they can't tell the difference between a cheater and skill. The beautiful irony is that these plebs are accusing the very people they want to become of being frauds or cheaters. The unskilled telling the skilled how to play. The new telling the old what's right. The hopeless telling the hopeful why they should give up.

Too bad she has no porn despite being top tier.

*tips fedora
Alright user, i'm sure you're really good at those gaems. Must have a big dick and lotsamoney as well, if only i were you! :^)

nigger everyone is calling you out because you DO type like a redditor, that snug greater than thou kind of comebacks are rarely seen here from anyone who isn't a retarded tripfag or a complete newfag, Holla Forums has a lot of faggotry but your kind of retarded is a whole different thing that's easily spotted.

You might as well got to leddit and start meme arrowing and calling everyone a fag, then be surprised when they call you out on being chan scum or whatever those cucks use as an insult these days.

I guess Mercy is acceptable until Blizzard comes up with some way for her to be "genderspecial". For all the "anime style", they sure didn't figure out what the waifu fags actually want.

Competitive games don't need to have AAA production values, though. Even League of Legends took off just because it had some merit as a MOBA game, despite the atrocious graphics and poor interface. CS 1.6 lasted for forever. A new arena shooter would just need to be technically competent and have a decent aesthetic.

It's a great feeling knowing you're right while a bunch of disbelievers insult you for it. Just like playing on a pub server and watching the endless cheat accusations flood in. I know I'm not cheating, so just how retarded are you really?

Maybe the rest will be like Chemo then I'm posting my own video I am making to get criticisms and make sure I didn't miss anything
I know Holla Forums will be honest unlike any other website or get butthurt if I insult a popular game

Because easy shit is the best way to market to casuals. It's easier to explain CoD to the casual viewer than it is to explain Quake 3.

????

He says while painting Holla Forums's entire tory with PvP games without a shred of evidence.

Stop typing like it then, it's not meme arrows that give you away, it's the retarded attitude.
Elitism is normal from Holla Forumsirgins but you sound like either a ledditor or a butthurt smashfag here.
Around 6 different people have called you out on being a faggot, because you type like a fag and your shit is all retarded.

*entire history
For
Sorry, my post went full retard for a second.

Have you even read the people replying to me? Besides the two or three anons who bothered to write something consisting of paragraphs, the rest were just butthurt that I had the audacity to call Overwatch a mediocre game.

well, good job user, I hope your fighting games community takes off. Don't you think it sucks to see you guys only get into this stuff just now?

I can't verify the whole story, but this user is right when he says anons on Holla Forums generally despise competitive gaming, probably because the population of bitter consolefags is big.

Competitive gaming is fun, being in a clan and having matches against other clans is really fun and your skill improves more rapidly because you are fed information you have never thought of because you didn't have the right mindset.

>the rest were just butthurt that I had the audacity to call Overwatch a mediocre game
Are you reading the same thread?
Wow, you really are new.

I'm going to stop you right there, OP.
The answer is money. The answer is always "money". The reasoning behind everything on this earth is calculated and cynical without exception.

No it's mostly your revisionism that Holla Forums hated competitive games which was bullshit like explained.
You're conflating Holla Forums's hate for the fox only smashfag community who kept pretending SSB was a totally hardcore fighting game, not their competitive autism but the denial to recognize the fucking thing is a party game, our disgust and constant mockery of alienware and razer '1337ware' and gamer fuel marketing, not the competitive aspect of gaming itself.
You just sound like you got butthurt at Holla Forums for some personal reasons and kept pretending anyone giving you shit was because you were actually better than them, like a true thin skinned redditor would.

if you fags had spent a little less time debating 360 vs ps3 you'd have noticed the lack of competitive gaming on Holla Forums. So what if you have a KoF tournament now? It's not going to change Holla Forums's past culture up until this point. Holla Forums produced some great things, but only ever had minimal interaction with competitive gaming.

Not revisionism, Holla Forums user has always been butthurt over competitive gaming.

wew laddie

which is why we had regular threads about QuakeCON and EVO since forever.

You just can't accept it, can you? You don't want it to be true.

Wew

It's 3 faggots in a basement but that's what competitive gaming has always truly been before twitch and LoL happened.

Quakecon is all about Carmack keynotes.

Gahahaha, who the hell are you? Why do you act and talk as an outsider?

One surprising thing about competitive gaming is that the oldschool competitive FPS players tended to be pretty cool guys. Devoted to their passion, sociable, content with their community. If you took the mask off most Holla Forums users, you would find a bitter NEET. The competitive FPS players were competent, friendly people. Probably why they were able to compete in the first place without getting butthurt. The loser always spreads the myth that anyone better than him must simply have no life, and anyone worse than him is just plain retarded.

This is what happens when a ledditor comes to Holla Forums, sees the Holla Forums sucks at vidya meme and takes it seriously.

Which is funny because that's exactly all you've been doing.

nerve struck.

self-awareness is becoming a more and more rare trait in our society, all the kool aid must be seeping through to our water supply.

Why do you talk as an outsider?

He's been here 8 years user, he made all the memes you liked, why would someone go and tell lies on the internet?

Neither are your generalizations and broad, sweeping statements but that's not stopping you now is it?

By that logic Holla Forums hates games in general for disliking most of the popular shit pushed out by AAA devs. And I bet you're one of those faggots that helped perpetuated that cancerous meme.

Why can't you take criticism where it's due? Holla Forums has always treated competitive gaming like shit and even now is talking out of its ass.

Is it so hard to believe that I've been browsing Holla Forums for a decade, memed original STALKER memes and even advised Holden about his LURK mod?

So instead of doing something useful, like avoiding an imageboard full of so-called casuals, or introducing competitive vidya to them, you decided to stay here for an entire fucking decade and whine about how when you don't do anything nothing happens.
Get another hobby. You might want to practice competitively lying on the floor, because there's a demand for good doormats and you'd make a great fit.

You remind me of my child self bragging to girls about obvious bullshit i was oblivious to back then.
You're actually a preteen aren't you?

He can't be older than 18 judging by the way he writes.

Insulting competitive gaming is not discussing competitive gaming. Any time someone brought it up, it got shot down.

I don't have to leave because you suck at competitive games, and thankfully there are places to talk about them elsewhere

This is you:

Bad attitude doesn't even begin to describe you. The simple point that Holla Forums has always been anti-competitive has got you literally shaking.

pretty lacking in the self-deprecation department you'd find in your usual Holla Forumsirgin too, no wonder he's so butthurt at Holla Forums with that sort of ego.

Just agree that you're all fags and make out allready to save time.

There is nothing wrong with competitive gaming. I think things went to shit when you could no longer put a face to the player you are playing.
APPROVED COMPETITIVE GAMING IS
Arcade raids, hang outs, playing.
Couch tournaments, playing with friends.
LAN Parties, play some old quake, rts or racing mods.
EVERYTHING ELSE
Is just kikes be kiking. I think what I realized with modern competitive gaming which a lot of user faggots know, is that that games just aren't that good and or mediocre at best. Nothing but reskins. I am more disappointed that the speed aspect of games never really took off. The original Tribes is a good example to start at, even old bunny hoping Quake ( I am aware of the drops being very important in play ) but you still went fast.

So we have Dota2 and LoL, Overwatch, CsGo and H1Z1 King Of The Hill. None of those games are that great. I don't know. Rambling 101.

Nah user I'm allowed to assert what I've succeeded at. Self-deprecation is not the same as self-destruction.

Nice knowyourmeme image by the way.
i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/287/578/6ce.png

You just can't believe it, can you? It's amusing me to be able to shit up this tread just by casually asserting the truth. Really, just like dealing with false cheat accusations, it's very informative to see you be wrong so many times in so many ways.

You're even revising this thread's history. You came into it describing yourself as such a hardcore competitive oldfag, come to lord over Holla Forums for being so "pathetic". Yet somehow this isn't bragging?

CS:GO does suck, user. CS was always a second-rate competitive FPS. CS:GO doesn't even break a 5/10 since it even lacks the authentic competitive spirit of source and 1.6.

I didn't come to lord over Holla Forums, you just refuse to accept one specific part of your history: that Holla Forums has historically not tolerated discussion of competitive gaming. In whatever way you start autistically screeching, it's all has the same effect. You're wrong. Even if there's seven of you circlejerking against me, in this case you are still simply wrong. Those who have disagreed have done nothing but said "not true" and "you're not from here", anyway - it is blatantly obvious that you are arguing in bad faith because you don't like what you're being told.

We get it user, you're good at video games.
I'm sure you pwned a bunch of noobz back in tha day.

wah wah wah I hate video games but I still talk about them all day
this entire board is trash

You really sound like that faggot user who kept screaming autistically that 76's ultimate wasn't an aimbot and another user had to log into the game and make a webm just to BTFO him and he still kept going defending the game. Overwatch fags, not even once.

Oh look, another Overwatch retard.
No, people just don't want shit shallow games taking the place of games that actually require skill.

This guy just keeps delivering.

Wait a second, overshit came out in mid 2016?

Forgot one.

It's amazing to think there is one guy who spends all day on Holla Forums who goes into every thread where someone insults the game.

This thread is painful to read so I'll just say, I played overwatch on a friend's house and then I played the UT alpha when I came back for science. The difference is abysmal and all overwatch players should be ashamed of paying between 40 and 60 of whatever you use for a game that plays itself

I am pretty sure that is a marketer

Overwatch is that bad? That's not even a competitive game any more.

Go for the distance user and beat >(200)+ windows 10 shill.
You still have around 400 posts to go.

38, faggot. Only reason I have so many posts is because I repeated the same point to every circlejerker who argued in bad faith. Arguing with those particular anons has been just like trying to convince that Overwatch guy he's wrong without literally making a webm of in-game footage as proof. It can't be done.

4chandata.org/v/Why-don-t-you-like-skill-based-movement--v--a160794
Oh shit, a thread from 5 years ago that doesn't shit all over competitive games while talking about Quake.

Nigga don't give him proof, he'll learn about the place and next thread he'll fit in a little better. If something is obvious to you it probably is to other anons aswell.

*tips fedora

The thread you found devolved into discussion about how skill in Starcraft was artificial and based on exploits

From that thread:

That is exactly what it was like to talk about competitive gaming on Holla Forums with the likes of you. Always the same retarded arguments followed by a swift thread death.

You didn't even read the thread you looked up and you're still trying to win the argument by being wrong. You are arguing in bad faith.

You actually put this forward as an argument that Holla Forums had competitive threads. Amazingly weak, user.

user is so buttblasted about Holla Forumss shameful history related to competitive gaming that he actually started looking through archives to prove me wrong, and dug up a trainwreck of a thread as 'proof':

Truly you are an illuminated individual

You cherry picked a guy who was almost entirely refuted or mocked by every reply
Yet you claim I am arguing in bad faith.
Because Hi-Rez a shit and ruined the game. Regardless, how long it lasts doesn't invalidate that people enjoyed playing something competitively.

You've been a bitch since the start user and now you're literally digging up terrible ancient competitive threads as though to say "See! I found one of those awful old threads from Holla Forums talking about competitive games so technically you're wrong!"

Holla Forums has historically not tolerated discussion of competitive gaming. Simple point. You're arguing like a woman.

Now this is just projecting.

Wow dude thats a nazi picture????? You are a racist, reported wtf

>You're arguing like a woman.
Right back at you, fam.

Look at these "gotcha" attempts. Really no different from arguing with Holla Forums - they too hate the competitive spirit and will argue like a woman to defend their being wrong.

Why do you think that countering the claim "Holla Forums has historically not tolerated competitive threads" with an actual cherry-picked example is not just that?

Oooh this is turning into a Holla Forums falseflag, how great

He used the word "kvetching" so i'm betting its a TRS underage faggot.

That's Holla Forums through and through.

I don't know fam I just grabbed the first one I could see. But if you want to actually substantiate your claim then feel free to dig yourself.

More projection. Anti-competitive anons who won't even take up an argument on an anonymous imageboard are like TRS namefags.

You're digging through the archives because you weren't here, and now you're telling me I'm the one who wasn't here.

Go the distance user you're too autistic to stop now.

I'm digging through archives because I'd like to not spout shit without something to back it up, unlike some other posters that just expect people to listen and believe their "experiences".

I don't think that i understand what this thread is about anymore just that you are a massive sperg.

Wasn't there some Scam Citizen shill that was over that one already?

All this ass mad that some guy likes comp.

Do you have brain damage or just a regular persecution complex, user?

Just because he is a faggot, doesn't mean that he must be from evil place X you don't like, user.
He's probably from reddit!

No, I was thinking that sperg was going to go "im from Holla Forums" in his next replies.

Maybe the Quake threads could discuss something other than which engine to pick for playing single player, then you'd be less dissatisfied.

Wouldn't you do it too if you know your game is shit? If you could tap into the esports market, you could become rich with a game that took little effort. It's the dream of many of these people to make just have to update a shitty game for years and making millions until people stop caring.

Esport is a meme, and a shit one too.

I'm wondering why people think E-Sports are this new thing thats just now happening

"E-Sports" have existed since the 80s with shit like Arcade Championships and events like Nintendo World Championships and well into the early 2000s with Pokemon and Quake tournaments

Its just not until more recently people gave them a name "E-sport"

It's not that it's a new thing, it's that it's now such a corporate thing. Not in the "a corporation already ran them" sense, but in the "they have corporate sponsorships and are used as a way to generate revenue, not just a showcase".

I get that it's cool to know that stuff similar to this has already happened and that LAN tournaments have always been a thing in the competitive scene, but this is the point at which things have begun to ramp up. Even the Miami Heat have their own affiliated eSports team now. It's become a big thing.

Can somebody enlighten me on what makes the concept of playing games professionally bad? I don't see anything wrong with "pro gamers" wanting to be able to support themselves for doing something they love and being exceptionally good at what they do. Even if the game they're playing isn't particularly depthful (Overwatch, etc), why shouldn't they be given the opportunity to make money off of being better than the majority of players?

Also, since apparently all the newer competitive games are "casualized," what makes a game truly competitive. in your opinion?

The only game I see you beating me at is the game of Autism

Besides it being a shit career choice, the fact companies are now pushing it to prey on impressionable kids the same way nignogs skip school thinking they'll make it big playing bball.
Just with more milking them out of their money while at it.

Games are developed towards being stream bait, not enjoyable

also, they're casualized and
You can't make a game 'competitive' while at the same time making it easily accessible so you get huge masses of underage kids and twitch whores playing it, it's a oxymoron yet this is what companies are pushing.

Were not scared, and your making it really easy to mock you.

(On a different network right now, same person you replied to)
But greedy companies trying to make money off of impressionable kids isn't something exclusive to the esports industry, its a part of virtually any industry. All I'm saying is that with most professions/hobbies you're able to get money for being good at what you do, and I don't think video games should be an exception.

You absolutely can make a game have depth while at the same time appealing to the masses. Quake 3 was one of the most popular games on the market when it was released. Chess appeals to a lot of people and has depth.
I'm not even disagreeing with you that much, I just think its unfair to attack the entire concept of professional gaming just because of how its been executed by certain companies.

The issue is that in order to make money off of playing a game you have to play a casual game so idiots know what's going on. But that defeats the point of getting good at a game.