Best RPG?

What's the best computer fantasy RPG out there? also I don't care if it's as old as Ultima, I just want it to be good and have something that resembles an interface made for humans so no Dwarf Fortress.
inb4 Morrowind (I know Morrowind, I need something I haven't played before)

Other urls found in this thread:

crpgaddict.blogspot.com/).
crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2011/01/game-40-pirates.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Dragon Age Origins

Skyrim

Fallout 4

If you played Ultima you've probably played all the good ones.
Solid crpgs are fucking tiny in number

that's the thing, I haven't played Ultima yet, it's that there are so many of them I don't know which one is the best of the series

All that I know about Ultima is that from 9 onwards the series died. So just play 1 through 8.

Persona 5

Dragon's dogma

Filtered

If you like C&C you can try Planescape Torment. Otherwise, maybe the Divinity games will suit your taste?

Motherfucking Obitus

not out yet

already played it

I'll check them out

Mount and Blade: Warband

Kingdom Hearts.

Might & Magic

Ultima Underworld.

It is though. Been out since last year if you can understand moon.

Wizardry series. 6-8 allows you to transfer save files to each game for one long adventure with the same party. If I remember right you can do the same for 1-3.

If you liked Baulder's Gate, theres Icewind Dale.

A fucking good question, and one that has really been on my mind the last week (having completed Fallout 4 for the first time and reading about every posting in this blog: crpgaddict.blogspot.com/).

I mean, really, we first have to define what the hell an RPG is first, as the lines are surprisingly blurry. Take this post on Sid Meyer's Pirates! for example:

crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2011/01/game-40-pirates.html

"There was a time when I was addicted to this game far worse than any CRPG. I'd probably still be playing it now, full-time, except that once I had achieved the highest retirement rank in all six time periods, I decided that there wasn't much more I could accomplish with it. I had "won," so to speak. I probably played my last game in 1993 or 1994 and haven't thought seriously about it until I saw that it was on MobyGames's list of CRPGs.

Is this in any way justifiable? Probably not. In one of my earliest postings, I asked "What is a CRPG?" and came up with 10 criteria by combining a Wikipedia article with my own thoughts:

Character identification
Character development
Freedom of movement and choice of actions
Quests
At least a partial focus on combat
Combat at least partly based on probabilities rather than action
Weapons, armor, and items to buy, find, and equip
Game progression through combat and dialog
Interaction with NPCs
Random encounters

Not every CRPG features every criteria on this list. Wizardry has no NPC interaction to speak of, and there are no quests in Telengard. But let's say a CRPG has to have at least 7 or 8 out of 10. Well, Pirates! gets 1, 3, 4, 5, and 10. The others are a stretch. MobyGames's other category, "Strategy," defines the game better.

And yet, ironically, damned if you don't role-play the hell out of this game. When you start, you choose your era and nationality, and depending on your choices, the game gives you a quick backstory: your family was robbed and imprisoned by a corrupt judge and you've just escaped from prison, or you're an adventurer being financed by the king, or you're a peasant farmer who chooses to sign up with some pirates to escape the monotony of the fields. It hardly matters, as the rest of the gameplay is identical, and you have "long lost" family members to rescue no matter what."

So, OP, I…dunno. Best as in most enjoyable mechanics? Best story? Best characters? Most immersive? Best setting? Almost all of these are subjective, so ironically…you need to answer your own question.

If you're not a faggot hipster who wants to play 30 year old games, then try Witcher 3

Well what do you want to play? Spy shenanigans, fantasy, shenanigans, or sci-fi shenanigans?

U8 was also shit. OP should stop at Serpent Isle.

Maybe OP is interested in playing games that haven't been talked about to death like Witcher and ES

Best Ultimas are 3, 4, 5, 6, both parts of 7, and Ultima Underworld

OP asked for good games.

Ultima series is fucking shit gameplay wise so don't bother.

Apart from Ultima underworld 1 and 2
Completely forgot about those

well, it's mainly because I've already played the Elder Scrolls and the three Witcher games (yes, even the first), also I've heard Ultima 7 is good to start with because 4 can be too complicated and dated

fantasy shenanigans, I say it right there in the original post

I want a game that gives me freedom of action "want to engage in some good ol' human trafficking? or maybe become a knight and do the opposite?, you go, pal!" and a setting that makes me explore it looking for new and exciting things and places

Yes and no. On the one hand it's a series of older RPG's so those standards are in effect. You will be referencing guides and hand written notes (you are taking notes right?) a lot and being a wizard can be a chore because of how reagants work.

However, you will never find games that deal with Morality this way (particularly Ultima 4, 5, and 6) and because of that these games are worth playing in their original form. The dungeon crawling and combat are likewise very good once you get a handle for the flow and I like the srpg aspect of dictating your units on a larger map.

Gothic 1/2 NOTR. They're sidegrades, with the first having better atmosphere and the second being superior in every other way.

This

Not really
Its not like RPGs were inherently shallow back then.
One of the first RPGs(Wizardry) allowed you to spend tons of time when making characters and had different classes and class promotions.

Ultima has been simple babby shit with heavy focus of story from the beginning with the challenge lying more in the obtuseness than the actual gameplay. The fact that you can import your godlike characters from earlier games and the game isn't even balanced around that highlights it.
Also the games themselves aren't complex. You don't need to take notes or "reference guides"

What the fuck are you smoking man. The dungeons are a fucking joke. You don't even need to map them. Thats how simple they are.

Ultima 4 is great, 5 less so but 6 fucks up its only strength by awful world building and a half baked story.

No, it's about what was considered necessary and what design considerations went into some things. It's like jumping into SMT 1 after playing Strange Journey. Both are first person dungeon crawls, but things like controls, menu layouts, and dialogue options are handled differently.

It can be a barrier of entry to people who don't like how older RPGs were designed.

I don't judge dungeons solely on complexity. And I find the dungeon crawling present in those three games to be fine. If i wanted a better dungeon crawler I would play Wizardry.

Ok, so an RPG with strong moral choices? You might want to take up Ultima then, as it has already been suggested by a couple other anons. I've been meaning to go back and play 4, actually (I started the series at 7, back in the day). From that blog I linked, it sounds like Ultima 1 2 and 3 are pretty skippable sounding unless you want to play the entire series just to do it, which I would applaud.

Personally, I started up Elder Scrolls Arena this weekend because of that damn Morrowind thread, it made me want to play the entire series start to finish.

Ultima 4 is great just for its morality system, play it for that.

I learned that filtering your kind makes threads 20 times better.

7 is excellent, start there. 6 and 5 might be too dated. Ignore the rest. You might need to read a little about the world of Ultima for context for 7.

Gee, if only he bothered to share some interests and not make a shitbait thread maybe I could even help.

OK nigger, I can work with that. And I'll assume you'd prefer shit less mentioned.

Venetian inspired eyecandy with some neat tactical combat and a fairly unique setting. The story's not half bad either.

German fantasy done right.

You'll either like or hate this shit. Looks like Divine Divinity (something you might also try) plays like classic crpgs and for some reason you get to build a house and grow crops in your personal pocket dimension.

You manage a conquistador company as they culturally enrich a bunch of filthy mesoamerican heathens. Junky but fairly cool.

If you haven't played these you should really fuck off and rectify that.

Another case of like or hate, a bit pretentious but fairly unique. I mean how often do you get to be a shapeshifting god of death trapped in a body of a warlock that whips/flays his enemies alive as preferred means of combat?

Not for everyone but really something if you get into them.

If you like your rpgs to break the third wall and not take themselves too seriously than you'll love this shit. Pick whichever you like from the series as they're not really all that related.

Kinda like above with the new game being an edgy arpg.

Might be right up your alley. Graphics held up, gameplay is interesting and you roam your ass off.

Classic crpg slav-style. Konung in particular has like five separate paths depending on your choice of class and nation (notbyzantine, notviking or notruss)

We're straying into hybrids here but still worth playing.

Good way to reveal you are a nigger

Ultima 6 is just fine if you use that patch that makes inventory management less of a pain.

I'm sorry user but I'm neither black nor in possession of that big black cock you're so desperately craving. Now, you gonna shitpost or throw something superior out there?

Fucking great gam… i mean good taste, sir!

Dark Souls

I wouldn't recommend Wizardry's early titles. There's way too much RNG in it to make it enjoyable. And I'm not talking Fire Emblem RNG where you can make up for it with grinding, I'm talking about 'your whole party died because you got ambushed by some bishops and a ninja so you have to make a new party' kind of RNG.

I'm not saying its the best rpg ever, but that idiot blogger doesn't seem to realize that mount and blade exists and is very similar to pirates. Also,

Those two were great.

Boy I love having magical catmen tell me to check my privilege because I don't worship trannies. Dragon Age is the best

This. I've played a shitton of older games and newer ones since I played this but nothing has come even close.

Dark Eye is a shit system.

He said Origins fam. In Origins Quarians are exactly opposite of that

Suit-rats? In Origins?

Arcanum is a sweet game. The original big box even came with a huge manual, but I lost mine ages ago. Still have the game though.

My grey warden stopped the darkspawn from almost ruining a whole kingdom for this?

Arcanum is only game where you can convince main villain with high Intelect and master speech check to be on your side.

Can you do that with a positive (good) Alignment or do you need to be very, very evil as well?

I dont remember. In my last try i have a -35 carma.

What about Drakensang: the dark eye? Is river of time better?

I think they're both great. River of Time is some more refined and the story is more personal and less monumental in proportion.

Only the expansion of it, Phileasson's Secret drops down in quality, going more into linear ARPG than the more open world of River of Time. I think Radon Labs was already bankrupt and reacquired by the time they released it.

Neat. I only played the dark eye and didn't know if RoT was good or not.

Best RPG right here - and yes, those are actual in-game graphics. Whoa! The ring of advisors that help guide your decisions make King of Dragon Pass a very immersive experience.

Befriend ducks, tbh.
No reason to piss off the animal people.

/tg/ was here
You should play Dragon's Dogma

Yeah they'll fuck you up.

Im hearing mixed opinions on ultima, 7 is a good place to start?