Nipponese Learning Thread: No OP Cause Posting Is Broken Edition

Last thread is gone, time for a new thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/documen/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#
ankisrs.net/
mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
ankiweb.net/shared/info/748570187
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1632090287
ankiweb.net/shared/info/242060646
realkana.com/
learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/
kanji.sljfaq.org/kanjivg.html
ja.forvo.com/
guidetojapanese.org/learn/
kanjidamage.com/
mainichi.me/
japaneseclass.jp/
youtube.com/user/japanesepod101/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=nqJ5wU4FamA&list=PL9987A659670D60E0
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX6kjDZDLD_dNyrkdvTRKVKIJRo4g7xFD
youtube.com/user/freejapaneselessons3
youtube.com/watch?v=s6bZA2xVBkE
sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/message/jpnEUwEoW7XEUhMPq0e.html
vndb.org/v5244
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rikaichan/
ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/
ankiweb.net/shared/info/85640050
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar
store.steampowered.com/app/438270/?snr=1_7_7_ut2_150_3
hukumusume.com/douwa/pc/jap/
simulradio.info/
tagaini.net/
twitter.com/onoderasan001/status/814711310533292034
mega.nz/#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk
pastebin.com/FGn3cxMR
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Here was the OP that I couldn't post, part 1
Last thread hit the bump limit and is about to be pruned. Time for a new thread.
If you're too much of a faggot to actually read this document, then allow me to spoonfeed your bitch ass:
Step 0. Resource Acquisition
Go here to get Anki, a flash card program:
ankisrs.net/
Here are some suggested decks:
Core2k/6k: mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
KanjiDamage: ankiweb.net/shared/info/748570187
Kana: ankiweb.net/shared/info/1632090287
Tae Kim's grammar: ankiweb.net/shared/info/242060646

part 2
Other Resources
RealKana: realkana.com/
Click the column of characters you want to study and type the corresponding romaji into the box as they appear
Kana Invaders: learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/
Space Invaders/Galaga style clone. Type the romaji to shoot the kana alien
KanjiVG: kanji.sljfaq.org/kanjivg.html
Simply plug the character in and instantly get a stroke order diagram
Forvo.com: ja.forvo.com/
Type in a word or phrase to hear a native speaker's pronunciation
Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese: guidetojapanese.org/learn/
Great introduction to Japanese, you can start here to learn basic grammar and vocabulary
KanjiDamage: kanjidamage.com/
Learn Kanji by using mnemonics and radicals
Mainichi browser extension: mainichi.me/
Learn a new vocabulary word every time you open a new tab
JapaneseClass: japaneseclass.jp/
Learn the Nipponese by playing games (requires registration)

part 3
[YOUTUBE VIDEOS]
JapanesePod101: youtube.com/user/japanesepod101/videos
Namasensei: youtube.com/watch?v=nqJ5wU4FamA&list=PL9987A659670D60E0
JapaneseVideocast: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX6kjDZDLD_dNyrkdvTRKVKIJRo4g7xFD

part 4
Fucking LEARN, you bitch. Learn the Kana first, then move on to grammar and vocabulary. I don't have all the fucking answers, I'm just the OP. Maybe you can ask for help in this thread, but who knows if you'll find any worthwhile feedback amidst the shitposting. Honestly you should be able to figure most shit out on your own.

REMEMBER, YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE

I got about a quarter of these to stick in my brain and maybe more if I can stop confusing the dakuten shit

アニメがゴミだぞ!

天王陛下万歳!!!

Threadly reminder.

Also is the spam gone yet?

Surely it must have been introduced earlier. Like there's no way I could have gotten this far without knowing the difference between transitive/intransitive verbs.

What are passive versions of verbs btw? I thought intransitive and passive was the same

助けてください。

You're not going to get grammar right off the bat. Play some games once you know the basics.

>docs.google.com/documen/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#

Let's take the simple sentence "I give you a present"

In this sentence "you" is the indirect object and "a present" is the direct object.
Transitive verbs can have/require a direct object,
whereas intransitive verbs can't have a direct object.

So the verb "to give" is a transitive verb.
And the verb "to walk" is intransitive, because you can't walk 'something'.

Passive is a verb form, not a category.
For example "The present is given to you by me"

And if I remember correctly, only transitive verbs can be put into a passive form, because they need an object that is acted upon.

Of course because Japan, in the Japanese language you can also put an intransitive verb into a passive form, as a polite expression.

is a broken link. It pops a 404.

Haven't seen these videos here yet:
youtube.com/user/freejapaneselessons3
There's lots of content especially for JLPT preperation

The link is fine, the problem is that "docs.google.com/documen/" portion of the link is missing a 't' for some fucking reason. Who knows how the hell that happened. Just add a 't' to document and it will show up.

Can you just keep putting auxiliary verbs on top of each other indefinitely, or is there a point where it will just stop making sense? For example, does this sentance make sense:
If you can layer auxiliary verbs, it should mean something like:

Alright.

I've decided the best way to learn verb conjugation is to just grind them out as one.

Is there a pre-existing anki deck for this or am I gonna have to make my own? I have searched but I can't find anything that looks like it

I am actually that fucking retarded

Anki isn't really a good way of learning grammar.

I suppose trying to understand these could be pretty effective in getting forward. At least it's a Japanese person teaching in Japanese so no shortcuts allowed.

Fuck, I hate how hard Japanese game downloads are to find sometimes. Don't they have a piracy scene there?

No, because the government and ISPs actually crack down on that shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=s6bZA2xVBkE (a long N3 prep video)

Holy shit he explained well the difference between みたい、らしい and そうだ

Based on what I saw from the first parts of the video, they focus on the easy to confuse grammar like that.

The various forms are refusing to stick so I need an alternative way to remember them.

くいて、ぐいで
うつるって
ぬむぶんで
すして

必ず覚えなさい

what games can i start with?
any other medium i can play with to improve myself? tv shows are too fast for me
because i dont think stopping and pausing at every kana signboards in my area just to read it will improve my nipponese
although i find it fun
last one i read was ベストミルク at first i read it as buzutomiruku

i feel like a retard because I have no idea how that's supposed to work and googling just reveals it's a poem

Damn. Are there at least any more reliable sources than shady Chinese sites?

embed related

Yeah, I should have realised it was -te form conjugation.

BITCH

So following up from that… 'to Kick' is a transitive verb, but 'to Breath' isn't?

The concept of a "dead language" is a real thing
Please don't misuse terms like some buzzword spouting faggot

So I've almost read through all of Tae Kim's guide, learned most of the JLPT N5 and N4 vocabulary and I'm ~1000 kanji into the RTK Anki deck. Today I got a few volumes of ジョジョ that I ordered last week on Amazon Japan and while I do understand a fair amount of words just from the kanji alone there is still a ton of new words and pronounciations of course.
How do you deal with these words? Do you just look them up every time you see them until you can remember them or do you create a vocabulary deck for all of this shit? I'm afraid that if I keep adding words to Anki I will quickly grow tired of it and lose my motivation because the kanji and JLPT vocabulary is enough work already.

I just look them up. I don't have a custom vocab deck yet, but I probably will once I finish my core vocab deck if I run into words that I haven't learned from that.

This bump was brought to you by the kanji for time.

Time is very precious, make sure to use it efficiently.

This is what I did. I started to make a custom vocab deck at one point but that didn't last long. It worked out fairly well I think and I haven't had to constantly use a dictionary in years unless I was reading something with really unfamiliar terminology.

Is Rossetta Stone any good? So far all I learned is that this dude is an apple.

Can you learn Japanese?

About as well as one can learn any other language I guess.

Rosetta Stone is utter trash. Try Genki and/or Tae Kim's guide.

Why is it trash? Why is it that the other programs are better. Have you tried all three?

Nah. It tries to teach you via "immersion", but Japanese is too different than English to learn like that.

I can
You can
We all can
except for the バカs

I tried Rosetta Stone about ten years ago and all it did was show me pictures and taught me how to saw boy, girl, man, woman, tree, newspaper, and water. I've heard that it gets into grammar a bit later on, but very late. Genki is a book, or rather, two books (though I only read the first because it was a bit more verbose than I needed by the end, but I appreciated it in the beginning). Tae Kim's Grammar Guide is a website which is much more brief. Genki and Tae Kim's guide are good.

What's the easiest way to learn Hiragana and Katakana? Not looking for the fastest way, just the simplest way to get it stuck in my head.

Write it, use flashcards and review them every once in a while.
Reading loan words in Kana also help since they are similar to words you already know and let you practice.
Like コンピューター (conpyuutaa - computer)

Most basic Japanese verbs come in transitive/ intransitive pairs. Modern English doesn't generally do this, but "lay vs lie" is one case where it does, at least in proper grammar (but in common speech most people just use 'lay' for both.)

EX:
The book lies on the table. (intransitive)
Bob lays the book on the table. (transitive)
The book is laid on the table.(passive)

Here's a Japanese example:
とめる stop (transitive)
とまる stop (intransitive)

The difference is the transitive always implies a subject and object, while the intransitive only implies a subject. Both these words could be complete sentences on their own in Japanese.

とまる would mean "[unspecified subject] stops."
とめる would mean "[unspecified subject] stops [direct object]."

Here's an example. Let's suppose there is a burglar running away with loot, and a bunch of guards sitting around. If their employer yells とまれ, then it means "Stop!" and he is most likely talking to the robber. If their employer yells とめろ instead, then it would mean "Stop him!"
(or her/ them etc. depending on context),
and he is clearly speaking to the guards. That's the way transitivity works out in practice in Japanese. Since transitivity is explicitly marked, you don't have to explicitly say the object, and it's still clear if given context.

Well done. I tried to make such a long post last night but couldn't because Holla Forums wouldn't allow me to send it.

And thankfully the pairs are usually pretty easy to remember.

The most common seem to be:
-める transitive
-まる intransitive

-かす transitive
-く intransitive

I hate that there's no hard and fast rule for them, just a rough sort of "generally if it has す at the end it's transitive". One of my major fuck-ups is getting the pairs mixed up.

This link's kinda interesting for a history of why the verbs are formed that way: sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/message/jpnEUwEoW7XEUhMPq0e.html

You'd learn more if you just read those lewd VNs.

Of course not.

Translating Japanese comics?

i subbed and posted a video and someone said translating is a bad habit

You can't learn Japanese.

Did they provide a reason why? Or did they just reckon it was bad based off anecdotal evidence?
I translate lewd comics from time to time and not noticed any sort of ill effects on my learning.

Seems like there is a rule to me, or a regular pattern at least.

For verbs that end in る the pattern seems to be: end in ある=intransitive, end in える=transitive.

For verbs that end in う the pattern seems to be: shorter version of the verb is intransitive (ex. 驚く), remove the last う and add あす to make it transitive (驚かす).

It's not completely terrible but you're not learning anything practical, unless you plan to go into a career translating that is. The problem becomes that anyone who tries to "learn via translation" is only learning how to do this
Japanese input->translate to English->think of response in English ->translate to Japanese
You will never be able to keep up in a real time in person conversation because you can't speak efficiently if you're switching languages, you need to learn how to think in Japanese and respond in Japanese on the fly if you want to talk to people or even write to people, if you don't and just want to read your mangoes and vidya all day that's okay too, it's just not gonna help you learn how to respond effectively.

Hey senpai, are you still browsing these threads?

My J-J dictionary just arrived and I'm overwhelmed, it seems so difficult (I bought the one you recommended)
Should I just translate everything I don't understand (which is almost everything) or should I do something else since my powerlevel is still to low?

I plan on doing text hooker assisted VN reading practice from now on as well and dropped the famous core anki deck.

Just noticed I can't seem to look up words via kanji, it's ordered by kana.

Alright, how do I learn grammar. Reading both genki and taekim leaves my brain numb with boredom.

I can quite happily grind anki, but reading? This shit is just not working.

I can see how doing that in isolation would be an issue, yeah. But if combined with actual straight reading in Jap, speaking with natives, etc… I can't see it being a problem.
I certainly had no problems chatting with people over there in Jap. I was even lucky enough to be able to pull off the best/worst pun ever.

That was a fun trip.

i don't know, can homophones really be puns?

It's perfectly fine to do it and isn't like it actively hurts you but as you said alone it wouldn't be any good.

バンプ~

This?
vndb.org/v5244

It looks pretty fucking cute but

ムリムリムリムリ

無理じゃない

じゃあ。。。無駄ってがもっといい?

Nice, you're starting to get it. The more words you learn, the more often you'll immediately know the readings.

I just got to the point where I can read hiragana fairly quickly and I know all my katakana. What do I do to get myself started on kanji now?
I was pointed towards this addon addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rikaichan/ An in browser Japanese dictionary from what I can tell. It sounds useful, but the youtube comment I followed was a few years old, and I'm wondering if there's a different add-on that's better maintained or something.
Also, is it better to read the rules of grammar or just look at a bunch of examples of how it works?

これ、よめるの?

yeah, rikaichan is still worth using. yes, it is better to read the rules of grammar until you understand how each component of the language is meant to function, then look at a bunch of examples to see how these rules are applied in practice.
read the not-OP. use anki with the core 2k deck. I also suggest that you learn proper stroke order and write the kanji out until you're blue in the face, and then write them out some more. you can also learn radicals. kanjidamage is bretty gud but there are other online resources, just google "kanji mnemonics" and you should be able to find something.

maybe someone else would disagree with this, but this is how I am learning. I only suggest what works for me

There's a version called Rikaisama which adds onto Rikaichan. Can't remember what all it adds.

this read can?

Okay I think I'm being retarded and I need help with the real time import for anki, since I'm not 100% sure what it's supposed to do since I've set it all up and even get the 'Note Added' pop up when I use it with Rikaisama but I don't know what it adds or changes since it's still all the same.

You press R and the popup should say note-added. Rikai will import the word and definition using a preset template that you can modify in the settings. If you just want a note with the kana and don't care about the kanji you can press T instead. The note will automatically be rotated into whichever deck you had opened, and will pop up the next time you review, provided your queue isn't already maxed out with new words you haven't reviewed yet.

Well I feel doubly retarded now because I did all of what you said before and I could have sworn nothing happened, even when I opened and closed anki, but now it's there. Thanks for the help anyway though

When I said that I can read hiragana fairly quickly, I was being literal. I meant that I have gotten comfortable with the hiragana and katakana to a lesser degree, but still only know about 50 words.

It might be because I am new to it, but it seems like Japanese has gotten progressively more complicated as people have tried to simplify it. Kanji was too complicated so they made katakana, but still kept kanji around. Multiple pronunciations developed for the kanji due to the language split At least I'm getting the impression that there are multiple pronunciations from looking at beginner kanji guides, and the Japanese decided to keep both the traditional way of saying them and the new way. Then, they decided that katakana was too hard to read, and they made hiragana. Now I think they have 3 alphabets, multiple pronunciations for kanji, and several spellings for each word depending on which alphabet(s) you want to use. It feels like the Japanese have been trying to make their language efficient by adding new stuff, but they've neglected to get rid of the obsolete parts. Am I getting the wrong impression here? I might just be a little depressed after having looked into the kanji system some more.

Is this where we brag about how we all know 日本語 and are playing shit uncensored or unreleased? Cause I just finished this game and holy shit, it was good. Got it on sale on Play Asia, I cannot believe I would have missed out on this had I not started learning JP, it's Phoenix Wright but with a hotblooded NEET Kamina blowing the fuck out of normalfags, it's great. Not that complex either, I understood the plot and I only know 500 or so kanji. Had to look on the dictionary a few times, but most of the time it was smooth sailing, helps it's in a modern setting with lots of katakana, it reads pretty much like an easy level light novel.

Any other recommendations? I want to pick up Reco Love but holy shit 65 bucks for only a single version that has less content than Photokano fuck that.

Each kanji usually only have two spellings: the kunyomi and the onyomi.

There are no "words that are pronounced different depending on the alphabet you use". There is only correct way to spell a word. Happiness is 幸福. In hiragana that would be こうふく, which is how you pronounce 幸福. There is no other way to spell this particular word, if you see 幸福, it's happiness, that's it.

Is there a website or video or something that explains, very simply, how to set up sophisticated Anki cards? I've been using super simple front/back shit for a while now, but I need to step up my game.

I meant the kanji symbols themselves. I read in tae kim's guide that they have two pronounciations pic related depending on positioning. I'm not sure what the rules are, but if I understand it right the traditional pronunciations are still used in some contexts. It just seems really clunky to have 3 ways to spell almost every word in your language.

What you are not understanding is that there are not multiple ways of writing kanji, there is multiple ways of speaking/reading them. In general, there are two per a kanji as this user said which don't affect how you "spell it".

An English example would be bass, there are two ways to say bass depending, if you are referring to the fish or the guitar, they aren't "spelled differently" they are pronounced differently depending on context.

Sorry, I've done a shit job of explaining. What I mean by multiple spellings is multiple ways of representing the words. The author has the ability of writing the words out in Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. So the Japanese word for person could be ひと, 人, or possibly ヒト. I don't think the katakana version of this word will be seen much, but I've heard that the language is kind of liberal in letting you decide which alphabet to use. I understand that the representations within the specific alphabets won't change. It's probably just my unfamiliarity with the language that's making this seem like a bigger issue than it is. I'm just going to keep going, and it's bound to get more recognizable at some point.

I'll just give you the simple general guidelines and unless you see someone specifically mention an exception, you should just stick to these.
1. If you know the kanji, you write the kanji down. An exception might be made if you say, are writing to a child who may not know kanji or another baka gaijin who doesn't.
2.If you have heard a word, but do not know if it has a kanji, write done the hiragana. They may be able to guess which word you are talking about without the kanji, but you should avoid this.
3.Some words simply don't have Kanji, say これ. Use hiragana.
4. Katakana is used on loanwords only.

These are the general guidelines, unless you see someone mention a specific exception (an example would be ニューハーフ to rule number 4, the Japanese used the English words new and half to make a completely new word in the Japanese language that doesn't exist outside it, but it is still spelt with katakana) follow those guidelines

Though usually hiragana, there's 此れ among others.

Often used for onomatopoeia, animal names, scientific terms and more.

Perhaps I should change it to
We could play "but this" all day but I'm trying to simplify.

Katakana can also be used like ALL CAPS to emphasise words. It's used in manga a lot.

Well to be honset 4/5 of the world hates the US.

You guys are kind of like Israel, everyone despises you but nobody has the balls to actually tell you.

Jap girls only date whites for free English lessons and to brag to their nip friends.

wake up user, wake up!

Unless you're a 7 feet tall brazilian monkey man you're not getting none of that slanted pussy.

and we only date them because ez pussy so i'd say it evens out

whens the last time you were given something for free/with minim effort that was actually decent?

well i dunno user, most white women take a lot of work and they really aren't any better in the end

my grandfather died and I inherited 80,000 dollars
Also I don't care if I get laid by some cute jap grills, I just want to learn the language for its own sake. doing anything in the hopes that you'll get laid is a very sad and pathetic existence. sounds like the type of shit beta faggots would do.

Coming from English, Jap is one of the hardest to learn. So yeah. If you're gonna learn a language; go hard or go home, son.

if you want to easily get laid to go Taiwan, chink grills and most of them already know English.

バンプ~

Slacked off for too long, now I'm going on a hiking trip to Fuji in six months. Hopefully I can attain basic literacy and conversation skills in that time.

I'll start learning tomorrow

I swear

I said the same the beginning of the year.

Good luck user.

DO IT NOW

語彙覚えられないぞ

くやしいな

I kept saying that everyday.

It's a year later now and it's only in the last few weeks that I decided to buckle down. If only I actually started last year I could be somewhat competent at Japanese by now.

I actually did start last year, but after I learned the kana I dropped learning the language altogether for no reason and I regret that now since I had to learn the kana again, although it was much quicker.

Alright what's the best way to do this. Spoke with a native earlier today and realised that my current studying methods have been next to useless.
These two are big offenders but I realised that I was actually unable to construct simple sentences.

I think the best thing to do here would be to memorize a shit tonne of premade sentences and forget about anki word grinding. The 2k/6k deck I realised has been teaching me a lot of words that I'm not going to need especially as a beginner.

Does anyone know where I can find a good repository for this shit?
does anyone have any experience at what I am about to do?

ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/ might be what you are looking for.

書ける文だけを使ってみて

やっぱり難しくて恥ずかしいけど、しょうがないな

ankiweb.net/shared/info/85640050
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

I think going through the Tae Kim grammar guide while using this ordered deck may improve your confidence in forming simple sentences. Don't try to memorize the answers in the deck, make sure to understand the grammar behind them.

I had much the same problem. My first time speaking with a native I was dropping some hard spaghetti.

If you have a grammar book or general exercise book like Genki, make sure you do all the exercises.
For listening, download some Jap podcasts or even better if you can find live TV or talk radio from there. You will understand like almost none of it. But that's cool. Just keep listening and over time you'll pick up more and more words and sentences. It's actual Japanese, not slowed down simple stuff for learners; so don't be discouraged if it's hard to keep up with.
As for speaking, if you've got that native to speak to try and organise another session. Or go on somewhere like italki and get them. Practice really makes perfect here.

Bonus round: If you're in Japan or are going soon, go to an izakaya. Best way to get speaking/listening practice. People are there to relax and socialise; you're foreign and exotic; their bar for Japanese is very low. You'll learn a lot and they'll be more than willing to help. Plus you get to drink and have fun.

So how exactly does anki work? and how user friendly is it on mobile?

I'm currently using a kanji app, but it doesn't test me on phrases, only on single kanji. But the UI is incredibly easy to use.

Works pretty well on my android phone. Mostly do my reps on the PC, though.
Anki works on the honour system. So you see the card and you select whether you got it right or not, basically. You can even add a typing field to the front of the card so it'll make sure you spelled it correctly.
It's pretty good, I'd definitely recommend it if you haven't tried it already.

There's a train of thinking that learning phrases rather than individual words help you level up faster.
eg. eating ~ learn phrases like where's the food. could I some more etc.

Where do you think you are?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

3.5 years

Isn't competitive just about picking the same top tier Pokemon as everyone else?

this desu
not like there's anything worth buying anyway

Just typical cancerous teammates who want you to swap before the match even begins. The game is becoming more enjoyable when I mute everyone.

Reminder if you care about politics, you don't belong here and you're a normalfag.

fucking spam

NO!!!
DO NOT LEARN OUR FUCKING LANGUAGE FUCKING IDIOT FOREIGNERS
YOU FUCK OUR WOMEN, YOU FUCK US OVER, YOU GET YOUR IDIOT WHITE PEOPLE GERMS IN OUR COUNTRY
DO NOT COME TO JAPAN DO NOT LEARN OUR LANGUAGE, GO PLAY YOUR WHITE PEOPLE GAMES IN YOUR WHITE COUNTRY
FUCK OFF AND DIE

Anyone got a single image with all Kana characters on it?

Japanese isn't that awful to learn if you have a way of keeping your exposure up. Problem with anime is that the characters don't really speak the way a normal Japanese person would– just as people in an American drama or cartoon don't always talk like the average American.

I was lucky enough to live here for going on 5 years now and the way i got to where I am with the language was mostly just getting drunk and making myself be social with people at bars and clubs.

For people not living here I'd say that watching Japanese variety shows and the like is a good place to go after you have a couple of years learning the basics from books etc. If not at least because you can hear how the language is actually spoken in everyday situations. Nuance is really big in any language so even just seeing how the talk without necessarily understanding it can be pretty valuable

yeah try again nigger

Is there any way I can use the Rikaisama real-time import to also automatically make reverse cards for recall purposes? I'm bad at navigating anki so please no bully.

It's shit like this that makes me fucking LOVE Japan.

Man, I've started watching Azumanga Daioh raws and I'm able to follow along and get the gist of most things (helps that I've seen it before).
So with my ego boosted I whacked an episode of Bilingual News on during the drive home to see how my listening had improved since I last tried that.
やっぱり、全然分からないんだ。;_;

To be fair it's a podcast aimed at Japanese natives looking to learn English. So I mean, I should have expected to be totally lost. I mean, I found NHK news broadcasts easier to follow than this.
Thinking of trying again on the trip to work tomorrow, but with the audio slowed down a bit.

I'm using a fingolian UI but it's pretty much the same. After doing this copy paste the front side of the Card 2 to the back side and vice versa.

Thanks, but I'm looking for a method to automate it entirely. I've done that part and managed to get two card types. The real-time export is now duping the newly created cards, but now I just need to figure out how to automatically flip the second one so the question/answer is reversed.

You have to edit the front face and the back face to actually make the cards different; the naive way is to simple take the front template and paste it onto the back and vice versa, but you probably want to edit the html of both of the new sides to condense the front and expand the back.

So what you're saying is that it's impossible to completely automate the process?

Only in the most literal sense; the card templates allow you to create multiple card types from the same input data, and if the templates are the same, you’ll get the same card. You need to change the template so that what was the backside is now the front side and what was the front side is now the backside.

I’ve attached two images that show how using multiple templates can be used to create back/front cards. Note that the “{{…}}”s in the template are references to the fields in the deck

I understand that. I guess what I'm asking is if it's possible to set up the templates in such a way that rikaisama's real time import add-on automatically creates two cards, with front/back reversed for recall and recognition. Automatically.

If this is really simply and I'm being an idiot, I apologize, but I am bad at Anki. No matter what I do to the templates, the add-on just dupes the cards 1:1.

バンプ~

Yuki no Shingun

What we've told you does exactly that. You don't have to change settings in Rikaisama to do that.

Nice translation faggot.

Started Daiteikoku in nip. This girl is pretty cute, but I want that nazi loli I saw in the intro.

If you struggle with Hiragana you're fucked.

Nah you just gotta know how to practice it. I remember trying to study it for a few days, but it didn't stick with me. Then I gave up for about a week and came back and started writing shit down in Hiragana. Even doing simple shit, such as writing the work "cookie" like "くき" helped because my brain was being trained to associate the symbols with the sounds.

My favorite way of practicing to read Hiragana is find some Japanese comment section on YouTube or Twitter and see if I can phonetically understand what they're saying. Once you get to the point where you can read a Japanese comment online minus the Kanji, etc. then you're good to go and can start actually learning Japanese.

バンプ~

So I have Aniki and the Deck, now what?

bump because even though you don't study nearly as much as you should, you can still learn Japanese.

I'm seriously lost on where to start. I have everything lined up in the guide, but well, should I start with grammar or vocabulary? I need way more hand holding than this, but I'll give my best.

I read that as manzai and had a hearty kek.

Start with something like Genki 1. It'll give you the grammar you need plus some very basic vocab lists each chapter.
From there you can probably do what I did. While moving through Genki you add a deck/course for N5 vocab and start learning kanji as well. At a pace you can keep up with of course. If you do it all at once from the start you're going to get burnt out.

I was practicing the Kanas of Hiragana, the strokes and that kind of stuff.. You know, writing them and memorizing what they are. Aniki can help me with that?
Sorry for my early posts. I just read the thread etiquette sectionAlso, I'm kind of retarded so I'm asking here to clarify my doubts, sorry if I'm rude or ask too much
I thought about Tae Kim, but I'll give that one a try.
Also, I don't quite understand how Aniki is supposed to work. I know they're cards, but what exactly is their purpose?

The idea is you get shown the card. You say in your mind what you think the answer is. If you get it right, you push "good" or whatever and it reprompts you at a later and later date until it's in your long-term memory. If you fuck up you push the very left option and it'll re-prompt you sooner.
For hiragana/katakana I'd suggest keeping the cards as ones you're reading out in your head. Once you get to vocab see if you can modify the front of the cards to have a typing field so it forces you to type the word.

Tae Kim is a good read and a very comprehensive reference for grammar. I go back to it a lot when I get confused about things. Genki is a textbook. So it'll introduce you to shit and have you practice it in exercises so you know it well.

Also the program is Anki (暗記). Means memorisation. Aniki (兄貴) is your older brother or your senior.

Katakana is sometimes used in place of common words with high stroke order kanji, like ダメ or キレイ.

Thanks, user. Consider that this is day one, but I'll take it slowly. I'm using Kana Teacher for the time being, memorizing a few kana. I already memorized the simpler ones, the ones with only one vocal, but I'll keep going after a while to make sure I memorized it well. I'll repeat it for tomorrow and then I'll move on to the other ones.
One of the things that bother me about the kanas is that they don't follow any logical sense, do they? Itseems like that will make it harder to memorize them.

Finally, by any chance user, are you a NEET? Learning Japanese worries me about my job. If it interferes with it at all, since I then to concentrate a lot in what I want to do, in this case learning Japanese, and that might take some space in my mind. Also, I guess I'll have to take time for practicing a little before going to work and after I get home. I'm pumped, user.
That also reminds me, is there a game that would make easy Japanese learning? As in, an educational game, to "game" while learning, at least.

What about Spanish?

Haha, nah. I work as a sys-admin/sys-engineer. I tend to do my anki study during my lunch break or when I get home in the evening.
Once you've got it all set-up it's piss-easy to maintain. Just takes an hour or so out of your day, depending on how hardcore you're going.
As for memorising the kanas, I found when starting out to use their shapes to create mnemonics (ミ looks like three MIssiles). After a while you start to just know them off by heart, though and don't need the mnemonic. It's a helpful starting step for that, kanji, vocab, everything.

I don't know if any other anons have educational game recommendations; but I've tried Influent and while it was fun, I didn't exactly learn too much.

English -> Romance language = relatively easy

Or are you talking coming from Spanish? Because I imagine it'd be roughly the same. Though I do hear Spanish speakers are able to pick up Japanese pronunciation easier.

This.And yeah, I've heard that spanish speakers get japanese pronunciation easy too, which give me a little hope.

Exactly what I'm doing.

Eh, the kana is so easy I don't think you even need mnemonics.

This. Grinding them without any sort of mnemonic will ensure you learn them within a week, or maybe two if you're dumb/slow. From thereon you'll remember them forever, assuming you are even halfway serious.

Is there any need to complicate the process to shave a day or two off of that?

Any good games for snes? Just got an emulator running on my phone, so might as well.

For ン (n) one of the more troubling katakana to learn because of ソ (so) looking so much like it I saw a mnemonic I thought was pretty funny. A youtube comment obviously from someone with a black avatar said the line looked like the stripe in Nike's logo.

Kana Teacher is much like a game for me. I'm having a lot of fun with it, for some reason.
Also, bump.

By the way, any app similar to RealKana but for android?
I can probably find it by googling it, but have another bump.

Try Kana Town and Kanji Study (it has a section for kana)
I recommend you use both since they have different fonts? Or is it style?

I met a dude in an izakaya in Tokyo whose friend apparently developed that app. Small world.
It's pretty good for learning stroke order on kanji. I really slack off on kanji writing practice so when I'm doing genki exercises half the time I'm looking up kanji because I can't remember how to write them off by heart.

Why is Japanese so shit?

YOU CAN LEARN

YOU CAN LEARN

BUT YOU'LL ONLY

CRASH

AND

BURN

Anything for those sweet jap games.

Will try, thanks fort he recommendation.

15 pages into first book of JoJo and I've already added 40 new words to my deck. One must persevere, though.

Is らめ supposed to be a slurred だめ or what? I keep seeing it pop up here and there during sex in nukige/doujin and jisho gives me nothing.

Does anyone actually know the alphabet in order without the song? Nobody cares about order anyway. Just learning to associate symbols with sounds is easy.

Yes.

難しい話なのに素晴らしいです!

What does this mean? I posted a story in Japanese. Someone said that after explaining my grammatical errors.

pic unrelated.

I need something somewhat extensive translated and will pay whoever translates it $50
any of you competent enough / want fiddy bux

"That story was good despite being so sad!"

Thanks! That was about what I thought it said. I use Lang-8, by the way. It's good for getting into the habit of writing in Japanese daily. It's based in Tokyo, too, so there are a disproportionate amount of Japanese to correct your posts.

store.steampowered.com/app/438270/?snr=1_7_7_ut2_150_3

Is this a good learning game? Hirigana is such a fucking chore, and the idea of turning it into a JRPG is novel, I want to make sure it's accurate before I buy though… Anyone try this? Is it worth buying?

Looks pretty entertaining, but nothing that Kana Teacher isn't already.

I used lang-8 for a while. It's pretty neat.
Unfortunately I don't often have time for it so my usage kinda waned for a long time. I really should get back into it. It's super-useful for the free-form sections of exercise books where there's no official "correct answer" to check against. Post the answers you put and get natives to judge if you got it right.

I made a friend in Kyoto through it, then when I went there we met up and walked around the local shrines for the day. Was good fun. Though I haven't heard from her since so maybe she thought the flesh & blood version of me was a bit too obnoxious.

You can't skip katakana.

That doesn't mean "Skip Katakana," dork.

I periodically review Katakana because it's easier to forget.

Thanks user. I made a lang-8 post after like 9 months.

wew, slacked off for a week cause christmas and all that. but I find that taking breaks helps things stay in my memory easier

fuck, man. I have been procrastinating. I load up anki like once a week and smash out maybe 20 new characters. I learn the stroke order, which helps a great deal in memorizing them, the pronunciation, and that's it. I feel like I could be doing so much more studying, especially because I'm a NEET.

How do you keep yourself on a strict schedule? At this rate, it's gonna take me another 6 months just to get to a 3rd grade level. Not that I'm in a hurry or anything, but I'd like to be more productive.

Breaks are fine if you get bummed out, but sometimes you just gotta force yourself to get back into a groove.

Been a bit stressed over learning, as I've been trying to brute force progress through reading, but I realize I just need to go back to a methodical pace with Anki and regular grammar study. I don't quite have a firm enough grasp of basic grammar and vocabulary to have much success in reading.

I'm gonna make it ;_;

What're you reading? Yotsuba&! is a good starting point. I can read that no problem, but Azumanga Daiou by the same artist I take longer simply because it has no furigana for new words.

I was reading the stories on this site:
hukumusume.com/douwa/pc/jap/

It seems to be a great source of reading material for beginners, as it's written for children; there are also audio files for hearing them read aloud. No furigana, but it's simple enough to use Rikaichan.

Cheers user. That actually looks like a really useful resource. Bookmarked now.

Shit, I was using anki and learning around 20 kanji a day. I think I might have been going overboard, I still don't know much grammar and I'm only now getting into vocab.

20 a day is fine. It's really not overboard unless you are retarded.

Well I don't really have trouble remembering them, except for the odd one every once in a blue moon but I really should be concentrating on grammar and vocab.

I'm in need of help: i'm learning grammar with Tae Kim and i think i understand it but i'm not really sure if i'm getting it or maybe i'm fucking dead wrong or if i'm forgetting shit.
I was thinking of ending all the course, then move to the Core deck and reading materials and analyze every phrase in it by grammar so to get a better understanding while starting a more in depth guide like imabi or something else.

Tae Kim is just a reference. You're not going to get grammar until you practice reading a lot.

上げ

Anyone have any recommended links for live TV/radio from Japan? I had one before but it's since been taken down. Makes for really good listening practice.

Here's a little motivation for people who are getting burned out. Remember you'll never have to deal with this kind of shit once you've learned moon.

Yes, you're getting the wrong impression. Kanji comes from China and doesn't fit the Japanese language at all. It can express words, but not inflections, honorifics, formality modes and many other things - since Chinese doesn't have any of that shit. Initially, people used kanji only and had to guess all that while reading, since there was no indication of which form the word took in kanji-only written text.

Then hiragana was invented as a writing system for women - who were not expected to be educated in the complicated Chinese writing system. It's easy to write and can express the entire language, but reading is hard since you don't see where words begin and end (apparently nobody thought to invent spaces) and can have trouble distinguishing homophones of which Japanese has a lot. Then somebody got the dank idea - let's combine both writing systems! Chink characters for words, kana for inflecting parts and particles. Works reasonably well for Japanese.

Oh, and kanji readings… Usually you have two readings: the sound-reading (borrowed from the way chinks pronounced the character back in whatever century it came to Japan), and the meaning-reading, which is the native Japanese word for the concept described by the character. However not always Chinese characters map one-to-one to native japanese concepts, and you can then end up with multiple words using the same character (since there isn't any other that would fit better). Sound-readings are generally used for compound-words (multi-character), which were originally borrowed from Chinese literature and used Chinese pronunciations (since no equivalent native-jap word was available). With time, it became customary to use sound-reading for compound words - even those invented in Japan. Sometimes, the same character would reach Japan multiple times in history, carried by Chinese scholars from different provinces and speaking different dialects of Chinese - hence multiple sound-readings. Pronunciations also shift with time, and a character could get an additional reading by being imported twice a few centuries apart.

All in all, this mess is a result of centuries of trying to fit square characters into a round language. There was no "simplification" to talk of, just attempts to make shit somehow work.

The tv site I used on occasion seems to have died sometime since I last looked, but there may be something in the guide in the op.

I recommend Twitch or ニコ生. They have the added benefit of potential for communication.

simulradio.info/

Pretty sure I've seen it more commonly written in katakana.

Get a good dictionary, niggers.
tagaini.net/

wat

twitter.com/onoderasan001/status/814711310533292034

ジュー共をガスして人種戦争今

Because it is.

上げ

さげ

バンプ

明けましておめでとうございます
I hope this is right.

Moon runes have always been indecipherable, and always will be.

Pffffffttt… FAGGOT!

I've learned all the Monographs and the majority of the Diacritics. Just need to finish and I'll know Hiragana.

If you want a Hiragana and Katakana flashcard thing on your android look up Kana Town

actually in addition.

Does anyone have a untranslated manga they would recommend in the effort to get better at Hiragana and Katakana?

You'll be drilled on it enough just by reading grammar texts, or virtually anything else.

Nigga really? Come the fuck on. Most conjugation is covered by the following embed. MOST, not all. Memorize it and go through Tae Kim's verb lessons AFTER you memorized it. Then watch the clouds part and witnessed your dick being suckled by a voluptuous ara as encouragement for your new state of enlightenment.

右翼の死の部隊

bump.

女気が安いじゃないだ

Is this grammatically correct? Does it make sense? I dunno, I'm just grinding anki and trying to make basic sentences in between cards.

Basically tried to make the sentence, "women are not cheap".

YOU FAIL
First, it's not「女気」, but either 「女」or「女性」.
Second, you don't use the「が」particle in simple sentences like this. It's technically correct, but sounds awkward. Use「は」instead.
Third, you don't say「だ」after「じゃない」, 「じゃない」by itself ends the sentence.
Fourth, you don't say「じゃない」after an i-adjective, you inflect the adjective itself into the negative form,「安くない」in this case.
Fifth, women ARE cheap - you just need to know how to handle them.

Stop cramming vocabulary and read up on sentence structure and grammar. And go read some ero-doujins to get a feel for how the various forms are used in live language. Fapping optional.

ありがとうございます。 So then how would you write the sentence? Would it be like this:
女は安くない。
On'na wa yakunai
"women are cheap"

Is that right? You can't leave me senpai.

(checked)
Go read some fucking Tae Kim or something.

Yeah, I've been meaning to do that. It's just that I want a solid vocabulary before I start fucking with grammar for realsies. I was planning on grinding the fuck out of anki for a month or two before starting with basic grammar. I mean, I briefly flipped through Tae Kim's grammar guide, but it feels pointless unless I have a few words under my belt. How the fuck are you supposed to put sentences together without words a building blocks? Doesn't make sense to me but whatever.

Tae Kim provides a good amount of words as vocabulary. Also, how are you supposed to sling words together if you can't understand their order, how to conjugate, etc etc. If every single sentence you make is a broken piece of shit that doesn't even convey what you're trying to express, then what's the point of all that vocabulary?

Stop being a dumby and go read your grammar books.

(checked)
yeah ok. you're right. I'm just an autist.

How can I get more used to hearing spoken Japanese and listening to Japanese voices?

By listening.

Read through some of Azumanga. Got up to the part where they do the sports festival. Then I watched the next raw episode I was up to, which just so happened to be the sports festival one. It was great. I could pick up on entire lines before they finished saying them because they were identical to the manga.

Is there something like genetic kanji that I can print out? My eyes need a break from looking at screens.

Just started playing Valkyria Chronicles.
I'm far from understanding everything but it's nice to still be able to spot when they felt like adding in their translation something that isn't in the Japanese dub for whatever reason.
Like here where she doesn't say anything about being his hero.

I enjoy finding things like that.
It also shows how wrong localizations are.

Yeah, it's annoying to see
but it also keeps me motivated in learning Japanese.

This is exactly why I hate "localizations". We need translations, not "localizations".

It's actually a great way to learn when you're a beginner assuming the text corresponds to the spoken words.

No it's not. It's a handicap that just makes you learn slower.

(e)penis inspection time?

I've got a shitload of suspended buried because I migrated my memrise courses into anki after 1.5 years of using memrise, and it carries over all the ignored words in courses as suspended cards.
Problem is the way anki works I can't just delete them all because they're linked to other things I do want.

jfc are there even that many words?
I thought I was scraping the linguistic bottom-of-the-barrel when I started getting political crap like 外相 and 大蔵省. Surely that's not just a vocab deck.

All the jouyou kanji are ~2.5k. They're not really "vocab". And all the N5, N4 and N3 courses double-up as I have another course for "kanji > kana" instead of "english > kana".
It's messy as shit, but that's because that's how it arrives when imported from memrise.

Also my misc deck contains a lot of words from Lufia 2 when I was playing that. So being a JRPG there's lots of archaic words/phrases and shit that's just not very common. Like 石板 and 運の尽き.

It's like training wheels on a bike. Once you are able to ride some distance without them, they're a handicap to further mastery. But before you reach that point, you wouldn't be able to ride at all without them - at least not without considerable pain…

And like training wheels, you don't actually learn until you take them off.

I wonder how many nips actually feel that way

Grinding the Core2k deck makes getting into Tae Kim easier but I think the reverse is also true. Tae Kim introduces the same words in the same order and has a Rikaichan-like script on his website that allows you to hover over words and see definitions if you forget them.

get at me nerds
Never ever stop doing Anki. The longer you put it down, the harder it is to get back in. I put it down for a week when I went on a trip and, apart from one sincere effort to get back in, I never touched it again. Relying on Rikaichan and KanjiTomo holds you back.

It's better to just start a new deck if you get too far behind.

the holidays fucked me up but I'm ready to get back into things. Every fucking day, no excuses. You only need two hours a day anyway, which isn't much at all.

I'm having fun grinding the deck, so I'll probably do that for a month at least, if not longer. I want to see just how much I can cram before I want to blow my brains out. I feel like grammar shouldn't be too difficult to learn compared to the seemingly gargantuan task that is memorizing all the kanji in this deck.

I hope you aren't spending two hours a day on all those new cards. Keep in mind that once you start getting into reviews and mature cards your time is going to more than double.

バンプ~

何?

the kanji for room [部屋] is pronounced [へや], which is what it sounds like they're saying in the chorus of that song. Just a shitty mnemonic.

Oh, I didn't listen to the audio so I was confused what the relation was.

I see I'm not the only one who remembered it that way.

下げが禁止

さげ

ひどいよ…

Can you learn Japanese Grammar and plug and swap words like english?
I can't help but feel like I'm not actually learning things with phrasecards and books.

りんごを食べる "ringo o taberu" "I'll eat the apple"
オレンジを食べる "orenji o taberu" "I'll eat the orange"
ももを食べる "momo o taberu" "I'll eat the peach"

These three sentences are structured the same, the object is the only thing that changes. However, this is a very simple example, I don't know how well you can just rip words and replace them with others when it comes to more complicated phrases/grammar. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, but maybe there are exceptions that you need to consider when conjugating/cultural implications to certain phrases that are used in ways you wouldn't expect/etc.

I'll bear that in mind.
As in I'll assign language bear to make a note of that. having a logic system for a language is so much easier than flopping around with phrases with no contextual explanation of the utiliziation and word structure.

バンプ~

What are your daily averages, anons?

It's not 王 but 皇、この無知あほ。

Once upon a time, deep in the thicket of an ancient wood, there lived a society of imps. They were a gregarious lot, and they took pleasure in merrymaking of all sorts. They'd drink, they'd pass the time with various games, and they'd sing and dance. For the average imp, life was great. However, one little imp wasn't so satisfied. He was born a bit of a runt, you see, and on a regular basis he endured the brunt of his peers' abusive chiding, as a result of his small stature. Being the butt of every joke and considered a fool only embittered his heart, which inspired his reclusive tendencies. Often, the more empathetic among his circle of associates would try their best to assure the little imp that the teasing came from a place of good-natured fun, and that his hecklers meant no offense, but he took no solace in these words. Instead, he'd hide away in his room, alone and obscured from the world, where he'd read the myriad of books from his collection, and those from which he'd acquired from the public library, among other sources.

One day, during one of his routine trips to the bookstore, the little imp happened upon a mysterious book clad in black leather. Strange and unrecognizable symbols embroidered its cover, along with the words Magick Incantations, and Similar Curiosities. This phrase alone was enough to pique the imp's interest, and he felt compelled to take the book home. He approached the shopkeep, who brandished a sullen and anxious expression at the sight of the book. "Where did you find that?" he asked, seemingly flustered. "It was on the back shelf, on a pedestal, clear as day" replied the imp, who raised an eyebrow in response to the shopkeep's strange demeanor.

"I can't let you have that" the shopkeep exclaimed.
"Why not? I've got good money, same as everyone else…"
"It's not about the money," The shopkeep began to slowly move from behind the counter and towards the imp "Just don't ask any questions and give it here"
The imp was enchanted by this book. He had to have it, and he wasn't about to let this old geezer stand in his way. He threw all of the cash he had on his person down on the counter and made a break for the door. The shopkeep chased him and shouted at him from the doorway, "THIEF!". The little imp didn't look back as he ran as fast as he could towards home, darting through alley ways and across fences, in order to throw off any potential pursuers. He reached his house just after sunset, and let out a sigh of relief at the realization that he wasn't followed. He started down at the book in his hands. He felt a tremendous sense of wonder, and he couldn't retain his eagerness. He began reading immediately.

The book contained information about a vast number of obscure and mystical concepts; the sigils that adorned the cover were syllabic components that could be used to intone spells of varying degrees of potency. The little imp spent hours reading through the pages, almost as if he were possessed by an unearthly compulsion to do so, and he eventually encountered a spell that beckoned him. This spell is described in the book as 'having the ability to make small things great'. The imp's heart pounded as he read through the forumlae required to intone the spell. He had to try to cast this spell. He could become a full sized imp! He'd no longer have to bear the burden of laughing stock! He'd be normal.

He went into his room's crawl space and retrieved a large cast iron cauldron that was passed down from generation to generation in his family, who were in the business of distilling various concoctions that could be used in a manner of folk remedies. The imp placed the large cauldron over the equally large fire pit inside his abode, and set to work rummaging through his stock to acquire the necessary ingredients to create this magical potion. The recipe called for a strong spirit base, a unique type of fungus, the shredded stalk of a unique bean plant, and a tuft of hair from the spell's intended target. The imp, luckily enough, managed to procure the items that he didn't already have on hand from the local marketplace, and set to work on boiling the mixture for the required time; two days and three evenings.

On the dawn of the third day, as the glint of daylight breached the imp's home, the cauldron began to emit wafts of thick, black, noxious smoke that were streaked with various sharp colors. The imp, who had dozed off from exhaustion after vigilantly watching over his potion, had awoken with a coughing start when the fumes invaded his nostrils. He took a moment to observe his surroundings; The air was hot and acrid in his little home, and his excitement grew when he realized the fruits of his efforts were nearly ripe. He peered into the boiling cauldron; a twisted reflection, an amalgamation of vaguely discernible faces, peered back and rolled into a swirling boil as bubbles rose from the substance and popped. It's ready he exclaimed to himself as he clutched the book in his hands and began speaking the words to his spell.

The fire beneath the cauldron flared and assumed a bright azure glow as the imp focused his intent to invoke each syllable of the magical phrasing. The mixture began to rise and spew from the cauldron; the room began to quake as though some unseen energy had stricken the immediate vicinity; a vortex of smoke and energy emitted from the heart of the mixture. As the imp uttered the final words of the phrase, an thunderous crackling roared through the room, and the vortex of energy that radiated from the cauldron began to command its own gravitational pull.

The imp couldn't have predicted what would have happened, but he didn't care. In his final moments, as the vortex of energy swirled around the room and began to devour everything in its wake, he saw glimpses of a future that could have been. He saw himself as a handsome and well liked imp of rank, someone who commanded the respect of everyone around him. I tried he exclaimed, as the vortex ripped him headfirst into its depths.

Well, fuck you. When I see this kanji, it reminds me of some little witch doctor or something, doing some magic dance around a cauldron that rests atop a bonfire. He's clearly intoning some magical spell. In the story, the imp hates himself because he's too short, which is what the kanji represents. The reading for the kanji is 「みじかい」 which sort of sounds like "magic", so I imagined the little dude is really short and used some magic to try and get tall.

Yes, I wrote a fucking story to help me remember this one kanji. I have a lot of free time.

Once sentence would have sufficed user.

What are some online games I can play and interact with nips? Not PSO2, and preferably no VPN required.

That "arrow" is so [short], it's as [short] as a "bean".

R E T A R D E D

That actually makes sense. The Japanese version deliberately uses the English word for Japan, so the English version might as well use the Japanese word for it.

Maybe if it was real world Japan we're talking about. This is shit in the vein of those fuckers "translating" Rance to Lance in that older anime.

A long time ago in the DJT there was an user who created an all in one japanese learner package that would lead a person through a full year of japanese and anons have had good resutls with it. Sadly the link for the companion download was lost for good and nobody had kept the original zip so it was left as a guide without the material it it guided users to, Long story short I found the materials on an old HDD so here you go faggots the DJT All in one learners package:

mega.nz/#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk

pastebin.com/FGn3cxMR

What does 「蔑む」 mean? I put it into google images and a bunch of people doing the shiggy face came up.

scorn; contempt; disdain. They're judging you.

Will you help them Holla Forums?

Thanks for this.

THIS. Why complicate things?

Get a dictionary, you retard.
tagaini.net/

it's not all that complicated to remember that mijikai looks like a little dude conjuring some magical spell out of a cauldron, I just made it more entertaining by writing a story about it.

Sure, if they're still looking in a year or so.

Long story short.

What are the differences and how do I learn the miyazaki dialect?

It looks like a bean to the right of an arrow. You are supposed to know those characters already.

How?

Are you saying い is supposed to be the bean? Where's the arrow? I don't see a damn arrow, unless you're trying to say that one of the components of [短] represents an arrow. If the little stick figure on the left side is meant to be an arrow, well I don't see it cause it's a fucking stick figure.

Oh, I see what you mean now. Nevermind. [豆] by itself means bean, and [矢] by itself means arrow.

Makes it heckuva lot easier to learn if you know those two beforehand, eh?

Yeah, I can see how knowing the meanings of individual components of new symbols can help you make better mnemonics.

I understand asking for cleaners/editors/QA or even scanners if they follow a specific series. I don't understand asking for translators.

Why? Anyone can be an editor, translators are harder to come by.

No. Anyone thinks they can be an editor. I've had to read papers by people who were born and raised in the US but wrote like a recent immigrant from a foreign country. There was a 100% correlation between people who had supreme confidence in their grammar and spelling ("LOL how can my writing be shit, I was born in the US, so I'm a master of English!") and people whose writing wouldn't have passed muster in my elementary school. People who are honest to god good at grammar are insanely rare, and nobody knows how to identify them because everyone is so sure they're the grammar master and everyone else is wrong. For example, people on this site almost invariably use plural conjugation when talking about a company. This is incorrect in US standard English. A company is a collective noun, and collective nouns are considered singular except in the case that the sentence is about an internal problem within the collective.

It's precisely because translators are hard to find that I think it's stupid. It's like a bunch of vidya ideaguys looking for programmers and artists for their super original concept donut steel. If you already have the skills required to make a game, you can summon ideaguys and other such low-skill "positions" at will. Same goes with translation. You can find cleaners, typesetters, and sub timing guys everywhere.

We're not talking professional grade here, we're talking about things that would break the immersion of grammar nazis when they're trying to read a story or bust a nut. I think there's no real reason to hire someone specifically for this purpose, which can easily be done by a typesetter, unless you are a large group putting out a lot of material.

I can see the appeal of big groups working together to translate stuff faster. But I don't know. Maybe I'm weird. I just translate/edit/etc… stuff myself if I like the source material and see nobody's bothered to translate it, yet. Hell, in the realm of non-smut I was thinking of even giving Shirokuma Cafe a go. Seems only 2.5 volumes were ever translated, and last update was like almost 12 months ago. Saying that, what do you guys reckon? Should I start from volume 1 or continue off at the last translated chapter I can find? I reckon the former myself, just to keep things consistent.