Ragnarok Online

Ragnarok Online.

So, what the fuck happened?

Brazilians happened.

RO was interesting because it was the MMORPG with the biggest presence of female players in history, i think.
Like legit girls, not pretend i'm-actually-50-years-old-bald-and-fat girls.

I have enough RO stories involving girls fucking people over, even stories with girls doing some real filthy shit with official mods to get items and favors…and then i have even more stories with me being a GM and running a couple of private servers over the years, i've got so many stories abouth this game.

And then i moved onto WoW and i experienced even more fucked up things there too.
You know what, MMORPG memories are sorta useless.
Most of them are bad experiences and even the good experiences were fake in the end, you weren't really "friends" with anyone on there.
Worse yet, i've known people that were in close friendships, and i've watched their friendships being completely destroyed from the inside out on these stupid games.

The entire genre has to fuck off, nothing good came from it, at least this is my conclusion.
Play singleplayer games, or if you have to play online games, play games that require minimal interaction, or comfy co-op titles, MH for example.
Fuck MMORPGs.

It was always terrible. Great way to find out just how shit someone's taste can be.

bots

can't really confirm that, as I played a fake female character to get lots of stuff for free from phillipineans

Personally it was one of the few free open world mmorpgs that I knew of (at that age, private server), where you can actually stumble upon your friends while strifing through the lands.

I never heard of this shit.

t. Europoor

This shit ended with bots.
Bots fucked with the economy and grind.
Before, you'd explore some maps killing what you could and trying to join other adventurers on the way, with bots, every map was just crowded with nonplayers just grinding nonstop and getting free loot while you had try and join the only player party in a super crowded grinding map. The official servers were so shit that there was no reason not to join a private one, and those were also broken, either ruined by bots or instant end game for PvP. PvP only would be nice if the game didn't play like shit, the combat was very broken in RO, most classes just click on their target and spam a skill and items until it's dead.

You missed something that was really great for an unfortunately short time.

The fluted sound used here reminds me of a track in another game…fuck, i've got the tune in my head but i can't remember the game.

Oh, yeah!
Fallout 2, how could i forget.
At 0:46 onwards.

I have two very good friends that I still talk daily to this day, whom I met playing this game. Of course most people are shit, but the good people are there if you bother to try and find them also applies to real life of course

Also playing an online game while thinking with your dick will only fuck you over, and "close relationships" that get destroyed because of a game were probably not that strong to begin with

Tl;dr MMOs do suck but you people should stop being whiny faggots

i had great time playing with infinity guild(s) o heRO server:
1st: from right Dorito Pope, Me, Townbike, Spiv, Lustercandy
2nd: Me and Hoimi ready for rebirth
3rd: Coercing Rozen to wear a dress was easy, though reaction "NO ERP" was nice.

Shame the rate was low. And the game had lot issues with design to begin with. But i need to admit, it was only time i enjoyed playing mmo.

Ok let me put this into context.

I've seen two people that were extremely close childhood friends, living in the same apartment sharing the bills, with their families also being close, being torn asunder due to multiple instances of in-game drama.
It deteriorated to the point where one of the two smashed a mirror onto the other's head, and they took it to fucking court, and to this day they hate each other's guts even tho both of them stopped playing the game many years ago, and managed to even turn their families against each other spreading rumors and venom.

And this is just a single instance, i've seen tons of shit like this, i've seen people playing MMORPGs living in miserable, inhumane living conditions slowly becoming NEET zombies neglecting their own children.

I'm sorry, but this is like saying that when children act violently it's because they play violent games. If a game took them to such a point, they must've had problems way before that time (just maybe not with each other), and the game was just a trigger; it could have been anything else.

Back in school I played Trickster Online with some bros, among our closer circle of friends we even shared our passwords for eventually helping each other out and stuff.
One day one of the friends backstabbed me and stole some of my shit I needed for an event.
We sorted it out, but the friendship was never the same but we sorted it out.
Shit is gonna happen between even the closest of people, be it on MMOs or outside of them, you either try to fix it or let it ruin everything.

This. Relationships nowadays are so superficial, everything is flowers until the problems come, then people just run away from it. I doubt that shit would happen to a real, stable relationship between level-headed individuals.

BOYHOOD

I didn't really have anyone around me to warn me about how fucking retarded other kids would be, that and my computer was fucking trash because kids don't know shit about computers, lets take it to shlomoshekelberg's store. There was this fat fuck which would invite me to his house to play video games in a really shit (but functional) virus-ridden computer and let me be honest with you, every account I used there got hacked into.

Runescape (I still get emails for infractions on a 2006 account) and Trickster online. Yeah kids are pretty fucking retarded if there's nobody to stop them from fucking up.

I don't think that applies to MMORPG players.

I never played Ragnarok, but I dropped out of Tree of Saviour because of bots.
What's the deal with them? I mean I know why they exists, I can't understand why it is so hard to get rid of them? Can't devs write some anti-cheat or anti-bot program?
Most online games have anti-cheat systems, why koreans can't too?

Mind tell us some of those stories?

Wasn't there like a Private server with Holla Forums players on it?

What happened?
It didn't even last 2 months.

Most actually do. The bots are just that much more persistent.

This hits so close to home goddamn.

Botting, for one. To this day it's still the ultimate sprite MMORPG and will most likely always will be.

The everybody vs BR huehuhaehuaes race war was probably one of the funnest things I've ever experienced out of an MMO

it's quite sad

i used to be in one of the best guilds and we were pretty close but then one day it was like overlord and we had to attend to real things

i still spend time wondering about my mates ingame buddies and what they're up to these days after all these years. all those thousands of hours of spent together will be like tears in the rain time to

The more sophisticated the anti-cheat software, the more sophisticated the bots get. Goldfarming and RMTing is a massive multi-million to supposedly billion dollar industry where the profits can even exceed what the game devs themselves earn so there's massive incentive to bot. We already have bots these days that are so sophisticated that they can hold proper conversations. It's a neverending arms race for the devs to lose. At best they can only hire more GMs, which is why western games give off the illusion of less bots (western games also tend to use the most advanced bots so you can almost never tell and these days in MMOs hardly anyone interacts with other players as it is) but that's costly. Besides, anti-cheat software is already intrusive as it is. The software and system that Steam, Warden, and nProtect GameGuard use rapes your privacy so badly even the NSA would be jealous.

I played there.
It was a blast grinding with the guild, partying up to reach strong areas and all that. The server was somehow clean from bots, so every player you found was real.
Some post renewal stuff creeped into the pre renewal server, tough. There was this thing called "Battlegrounds" that was absolute cancer and rewarded absurd amounts of EXP/Gear and and player/GM hosted events were annoying as fuck yet rewarded mad cash so you couldn't skip them either. They had some custom stuff in the server but was okay, but some were very bad implemented, monster of the week resulted in the whole guild raping a single map of the game to killing a single monster because it was super weak and was giving very high EXP for an entire week.

Ya just need the game to run in a good engine, and also make a game that doesn't have braindead combat so a bot couldn't spam autoattack on weak monsters and profit from it.

The ultimate sollution, is of course, GMs.
I never understood how games like RO that had people whose full time jobs were monitoring the game be so full of bots and gold vendors.

ToS engine was so crappy that the bots wouldn't just play, they had cheats like having their auto attacks hit the whole screen and could freely teleport around the maps.

I remember it being extremely fucking slow and painful to level and keep in mind the "residents" played for up to 8 years and had several accounts which they tried to offer for the 8ch guild. Normalfags were constantly using global/main chat to say some inane shit like "buying placenta xdDDD" and you couldn't really grind outside of a Holla Forums party because again, residents already played the game long enough to have several characters to hand out to anyone willing to play for them. Couple that with both temporary summerfags and idiots playing every single day of the week until they got sick of the game.

HeRO wasn't the best choice. Holla Forums certainly isn't ready for the autism that an 8~ year old low rate server presents, nor tryhard enough for a high rate PVP server. Content wise, custom hats were fucking retarded and better than standard items created by Gravity (frequent drop rate +INT/DEX 4 DEF hats on a looter mob that's easy to farm) and you really spent 99% of the game in the same spot farming nekos because everything else was completely shit in comparison. I'm not going to open the HeRO patcher and wait hours just to check, but the rotation regarding maps/monsters with extra experience was painfully slow and not really worth the trouble and you would end up repeating the same shit quests over and over again for exp. It didn't help that you could only level up 1 (ONE) time per experience increase.

GVG was garbage, with PVP arenas being extremely expensive to try, offering high experience rewards, and giving you small amount of progress towards extremely broken items and otherwise you would end up facing a 80% damage resist chucklefuck that would just use a skill and 1HKO you.

A lot of mistakes that ultimately led to interest in the game fading out. I think some tried to go for a renewal server that turned out to be complete shit as the lack of further RO threads about it suggests.

Some thought that RO was all about getting an endorphine hit from leveling up every few minutes with minimal effort while others connected just to do Battlegrounds (BGs)/quests and seeing their experience bar fill up with 6 million exp every minute and left as soon as BGs were nerfed. BGs werent about experiencing PVP or working as a team but rolling a dice and taking turns winning and losing just to earn progress to another level and some disgusting weapon that outperforms the product of several players killing shit mobs for an entire week.

Fucking up your skill build would set you up big time because paying for a stat/skill reset took you massive amounts of shekels and involved hunting for mobs that are hard to solo on classes that are most likely to fuck up their skill build (Archers get 49 out of 50 skill points, magicians have to pick really well as it's 49 for 121) and at that point you may as well make another character.

Community wise the server had messages constantly reminding everybody to be nice to each other as if the player base was made of overly sensitive children. There was some monthly roleplaying event where I guess the admins + whales got to roleplay as if they were in gaia forums.

Stopping whatever you were doing and participating in random events was obligatory as they offered extremely high rewards and you couldn't multi client.

Regarding multi-clienting, setting up a vending alt was a pain in the ass to do and simply not worth it as everyone already had whatever items they needed.

The most fun I had in HeRO wasn't because of the server itself; we decided to ignore the messed up party system (Exp share range was fucking 10 :^)) and go boss "hunting", that is throw corpses at catgirls and getting BTFO because OF THE FUCKING LAND PROTECTOR JUST MOVE THE BOSS AWAY FROM IT.

Then of course it all goes to shit for the already mentioned reasons, coupled with the niggers that either tell the normalfags about Holla Forums or post "dead game" hourly, as if they're using a stopwatch, because (((reasons))).

You might be confusing Reborn with Nova, the latter is a renewal server. There was indeed a few who played there, but overall no one was interested in playing renewal. Reborn was the one that had a bigger push, and while it gathered an handful of folks from Holla Forums it became clear there wasn't any interest anymore for RO in general whether it be heRO, Reborn or whatever server; those still playing let the thread die and quit. From what I can see I'm the only one still playing, admittedly on and off. The biggest mistake that was made was trying to split our already borderline unsustainable numbers between two servers but even if that hadn't happened I'm sure it would've died all the same.

All in all, I've made peace with the fact that RO with 8v, as fun as it was, was a flash in the pan.

they redid many skill and character equations to take into account level for calculations and introduced questing. They increased the level cap to 175.

The over abundance of points and influence of level made character customisation less relevant.

The quests and influence of levels railroaded the game so you can no longer just explore wherever, whenever or build your character for certain types of areas.