How Black Mirror's best new episode repudiates the awful fanboys of the internet

“USS Callister” couldn’t be timed more perfectly. With the release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, entitled “fans” have spent months now whining about any number of grievances, nearly all of which boil down to “Girls! Yuck!” So, as many struggle to understand how somebody could so thoroughly hate a movie as crowd-pleasing as The Last Jedi, let us direct you to this new video essay from ScreenPrism, which aims to delve deep into the mindset of the toxic fanboy.

avclub.com/how-black-mirrors-best-new-episode-repudiates-the-awful-1822161264/amp

TAKE THAT MENCHILDREN
mobile.twitter.com/randallcolburn
mobile.twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/953704167209623553

Other urls found in this thread:

unvis.it/https://www.avclub.com/how-black-mirrors-best-new-episode-repudiates-the-awful-1822161264/amp
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Take that toxic fanboys

I'm not reading any more of that trash than I have already. What is the episode about exactly?

Seems accurate.

Watch the video insecure alt-right Nazi

The episode, if you need a refresher, centers around a programmer named Robert Daley (Jesse Plemons), the CTO of a virtual reality gaming company who secretly creates a private virtual world set in the fictional land of his favorite TV series, the Trekkian Space Fleet. There, he essentially tortures living avatars of his co-workers, who he despises for perceived slights.

lol no nigga. ima torture some NPCs in a game instead. Postal 2 or GTA?

t. drumpfsperg

No he could have given his money to the proud African Lady.

I don't play to these misogynistic games.

you should move to arabia

I think it is best for me to influence the life of my local community.
Besides there is not to my knowledge enough Nubian bulls to satisfy my urges.

have they done a single episode that doesn't revolve around dude AI lmao?

You aren't a part of any community, you post on 8ch.net/tv/

The National Anthem
Fifteen Million Merits
The Entire History of You
White Bear
The Waldo Moment
Nosedive
Playtest
Shut Up and Dance
Men Against Fire
Arkangel
Crocodile

Take a shave, soylet.

I mean I only saw three episodes, you could've just said no

the ones not about ai are about social media

unvis.it/https://www.avclub.com/how-black-mirrors-best-new-episode-repudiates-the-awful-1822161264/amp

You don't deserve these clicks.

I know they are talking out of their ass but even if someone wants to take what they say as truth they still sound retarded

This retarded meme needs to die, Star Wars was based on The Hidden Fortress samurai movie, you retards think just because its scifi its based on that.

pretty sure Lucas said he didnt target little boys as his audience but adults, thats why there is so much death and adult themes

Star Wars is everything George Lucas liked as a kid, condensed.

No wonder it was puerile trash.

It's for children, o cultured one.

That's an unfortunate name.

Either the Christmas Special or the first episode of season 3 were the last good episode, and even then before that it was a mixed bag.

I can't do this anymore, can we have a nuclear holocaust already?

wow that whole thing reads like tumblr projection

Do you see what a danger Gamergate is now?

where is the black mirror episode where a race war happens and all the traitors and niggers get thrown into a pit to die

The whole episode sounds like a reverse power fantasy of what these idiots THOUGHT Gamergate was about.

Once again, the story is basically a power fantasy that neurotypicals often project onto their media when thinking about the creativity and genius of autistic individuals. The white, autistic protagonist invents tech that fundamentally changes the nature of human existence and is thus sacrificed for inventing it with the post hoc rationalization that he "slighted" neurotypicals. A want for familiarity and a general avoidance of logical/rational thinking mark the mind of a neurotypical.

This episode of Electric Dreams was entirely about the importance of fatherhood and traditional masculinity and boys being boys while women are useless and even mocked veganism.

Is Amazon /ourguy/?

Why couldn't Robert just build the AI to just play along with the game, rather than give them personalities like the real life counter parts? They are just zeros and ones. And when they called out for help, couldn't he just shut them down and re-arrange they AI?

Give it a rest

Not true. The National Anthem is about vilification of the political class. Fifteen Million Merits is about reality TV. The Entire History of You is about being able to record memories and play them back. White Bear is about the justice system. The Waldo Moment is about the dumbing down of the political conversation and media control. Playtest and Men Against Fire are about virtual reality. Crocodile is about mind reading technology. Arkangel is about microchipping children.

For the most part each episode is about something different, but Season 4 retreaded over stuff that was in White Christmas especially Black Museum, guess they assumed nobody had seen it or Brooker just liked the concept too much not to use it again.

They are trying so damn hard to make USS Callister about those evil gamergaters when Daly is clearly just a maladjusted nerd in the traditional sense. The rapey angle is hard to justify also when Daley didn't even give them genitals.

I haven't watched all of Electric Dreams yet but I liked what I watched of it, only four episodes. Anthologykino is making a comeback. Favourite so far was 'Crazy Diamond' I think.

The point was to have complete power over them because he was treated like shit in his real life. He wanted them conscious of what he was doing, it wasn't just his space fleet fantasy, he was punishing them.

I get it was a power fantasy, but he wasn't really punishing them. They were just AI. What was the point? I mean sure they are copies of them, but wouldn't of it been better if he just made them into NPC and tortured them? Because most likely they were going to revolt like they did. Sure he had powers, but didn't he know they were going to go into the system and alert the chick like SHE DID? ESPECIALLY SINCE THE ONE GIRL DIDN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT CODING WHICH MEAN SHE WOULD PULL SOMETHING LIKE THAT?!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, can't help but agree, he could've given them limited free will, still able to think and feel but not you know use his fucking computer.

If I were to rewrite the episode I would have Daly strike up a friendship/relationship with the new girl, and that's how she finds the modded version of Infinity. Then the cops come, pull the plug and delete the game, with Daly still stuck in the game. Obviously it would be less hollywood and it would have no happy ending, but it would make more sense and be more fitting for Black Mirror.

The Waldo Moment is easily the dumbest episode of the second series.
It's just such a stupid concept and it's executed in an equally stupid way, it's the only pre-series 3 episode I'd call bad. White Christmas and White Bear were both mediocre, the latter was seriously lacking in the ending, but The Waldo Moment was plain bad. Even normalfags think this as it has the second lowest rating of any episode and was not only the first episode to dip below an 8, but a 7. It was only surpassed three weeks ago by Metalhead; an equally stupid episode.

Care to elaborate?

I really like the Waldo Moment, I think it hit on the blurred lines between comedians/entertainers and political commentators (Russell Brand, Adam Hill etc. dragging politics down to their gutter level) and the political apathy of modern Britain.

If you think that could never happen, check out what happened in South Thanet where Al Murray ran as his comedy character 'The Pub Landlord' and idiots actually voted for him. The line between politics and satire is practically noexistent in this country.

My issue isn't that a fictional character won an election, like said: that can happen.
My problem is that after he wins the people controlling the campaign make it an authoritarian town with Waldo a 1984-style figure plastered everywhere who can incite assault and even riots.
Not only is a local politician not powerful enough to do what's seen in the end of the episode, but doing what Waldo did would have gotten the police on the campaign's ass. The people running it would have been arrested after Jamie ended up in hospital, let alone after INCITING A FUCKING RIOT. Waldo would have been depositioned a day after being elected.

The Waldo Moment was a stupid episode, Metalhead was bad for entirely different reasons.
It had no plot and the robot was able to do basically anything. It's never explained where everybody is, what's going on or how the robot knows these random signals are from the person it's following after the tracking device is gone.
The more you think about the episode the more holes there are.

Suspension of disbelief.
Obviously when they show the glowing nigger talking about taking Waldo global as a political figure you can surmise that it's no longer the guys from the beginning controlling him.

Finally watched this. It's the same old 'that quiet guy we bully is really secretly worse than Hitler so we are totally good people for doing it'. Very much an overdone leftist trope.

It's a poorly written episode from a shitty show with a hamfisted agenda and the fact that anyone could watch it and come to the conclusion that the real message was that Trek fans are all psychos who dream about being Captain Kirk, but as a serial killer.. well that really shows just how little is going on in Black Mirror, doesn't it? I mean, the show sells itself as being a dark sci-fi exploration of what technology is doing to society and it supposedly proposes dystopian applications for social media and advanced human augmentation technology… and what do we get? "HUR DUR FANBOYS ARE TOXIC"

Bravo, Brooker! You've blown our minds again with your outstanding insights and scathing social commentary!

Amazing. I assume this episode won a prize already?

A stupid premise is a stupid premise, I can't look past that.
At least you got some enjoyment out of the episode, I couldn't stand it.

tell it to Lucas, he is the one i first heard about Flash Gordon from when he was asked about his inspirations during an interview
becaus adults just loooooooove teddy bears, right?
as for the deaths
how many happen on screen?
how many do you actually see something that would scare a child
oh no, Luke's uncles are dead, but we see nothing but ash that we're told are human corpses
oh no, a planet exploded, but we knew nothing from it and it's only survivor seems to be taking it quite fine
oh no, some guy got shot, but lazers cauterize the wound, so no blood
oh no, obi wan died, but his body just vanished instead of being cut in half
oh no, the deathstar was blown up, but it was filled with faceless bad guys so who cares
a severed hand is the worst a child will see in that movie, and to be honest, even fairy tells are edgyer than Star Wars
Peter Pan canonically cut off captain Hook's hand and threw it to a corck while laughin at him, and now the cap is terrified of this giant jurasic predator who just wants to eat his ass
Star Wars is as mature as saturday morning cartoons

Black Mirror went downhill fast after the first series.

Sounds unnerving taking into account the pilot was pure shit

A recent episode was a woman running away from a robot dog for 40+ minutes then killing herself.
The show has gone off the fucking deep end.

BRUV
KILLER ROBOT BEES
KILLER ROBOT DOGS
LMAO

It gets a lot of praise and even people who admit that the newer episodes are worse seem to think it's first season was good.. but man, you stop for a moment to actually think about anything actually happening in each episode and the whole message of the plot and the twists.. This show has always been shit.

How is it like to be a plebeian that can't enjoy film-making by itself and needs a kids story being told to him alongside with it or his blind ignorance makes him bored since he can't see what is actually being shown on screen?
Is there less suffering in your life?

Nigga are you actually defending this show

I'm talking about the episode, do you have issues with understanding text as well?

The show's ratings have slowly been slipping, with episodes like Metalhead being highly divisive among fans I can easily see this show wearing out its welcome in a few years.
Season 1's average episode rating was 8.3.
Season 2's was 8.1.
Season 3's was 8.3.
Season 4's was 7.9.

If you made a graph of each episode's rating, it would be a downward trend with the exception of season 3, I don't know what fans see in that one.

That's clearly it, not that the main antagonist goes from being a guard dog to a horror movie villain who literally chases the MC around with a knife.
The last few scenes were comedic in nature, there is no reason for this guard dog to be going this far to catch some petty thief.

If you have many guard dogs, and in a post-apocalyptic scenario, it makes sense you would want to send them out to murder whoever. They had tracking systems for a reason.

But after she takes out the tracking system and runs away there should be absolutely no reason it thinks the walkie-talkie signals are her. It could be absolutely anybody.
The biggest problem with the episode is that for the entire 18+ hours that robot was out stalking her, the place it was defending had nobody there. Could somebody have come in and robbed the place while it was gone?
Every defense I've heard for this episode relies on fan theories or assumptions.

Who cares about these flags lets see who got

Shill accounts to bump up the ratings combined with the normalfag shit taste rating curve. This show is 6/10 writing, acting, and execution, combined with 7/10 production values on its best episodes.

It was dead twice, wasn't it?

That's above average

You are arguing he should be dumber? lol

Clearly the defense of the place was deteriorated, since the robot was on some shelve and wouldn't even be activated at all if not for her bad luck. In its original state, its likely the dogs wouldn't be the only defense, and in a larger number with better placement.

of all the episodes you choose to defend you have to pick the one that's generally accepted as the worst episode in the entire show
why

I've been getting master baited by you this entire time, haven't I?

because its the only actual sci-fi episode, made not for normie's FEELINGS, but out of actual technical curiosity. Its obvious it would be poorly rated, are you honestly using normie rattings as an argument?

What is next, you pop-sci fags are going to tell me Primer is shit because you didn't understood the plot and its boring and there are unexplained elements?

Metalhead is shit because it's poorly thought out and fucking boring.
Not slow-paced; boring.

I was on the edge of my sofa, so, we agree to disagree.

Hey! Same user who posted . I watched the "MetalHead" and it was ok. Didn't understand why she didn't she just shoot the thing rather than throw paint on it, then shoot it. And also that completely unnecessary truck/van chase sequence since the fucking thing could of caught up to it on foot. But it was just ok. Nothing horribly bad but not really memorable.
Probably the best one on the new season.

Also fuck that retarded Black Museum Episode. That shit was garbage!

Just barely. I don't think they deserve any awards for it, but it's not on the level of the Big Bazinga Theory and most of the performances are passable. The biggest problem is the script, moreso than the acting.

Wow it's almost like they're trying to make a point or something. .

I laughed my ass off at this

Remember kids, just tell YOUR truth.

It's okay to be gay folks
bad goyim

How its not?

sweetie, we don't have to dream anymore.

for me, the problem with Primer was that i felt like i was asked to solve a math problem before i could get back to enjoying the show.

Maybe this is the feeling women get when they watch the matrix - where basically it was too complex or foreign an idea, so you can't enjoy it until you reconcile what you don't understand. Granted i missed a few parts it felt needlessly convoluted to me.

Series 1 > Series 2 > Actual shit >>> Series 3 > Series 4

That entire episode was bullshit. The only thing the guy did wrong was steal his coworkers DNA without thier permission. Other than that, he was clearly the victim. It's a fucking video game! They have no rights because they're NPCs. Video games too violent, you shouldn't play that way dialogue. Sickening. They're not real. That episode made no sense! So many plot holes and just bad writing in general. Like the NPC who kept bitching about his son, then gave zero fucks about him when the update reset everything. He didn't even ask about him. How the creator got trapped in universe he designed, but the NPC could someone get control and send messages. Why in the world whould be give that option to any NPC. Ugh Black Mirror use to be enjoyable, now tumblr shit.

It's literally a reddit show

your shitposting is not funny at all

My biggest problem with Metalhead was that it was filmed in black and white for no reason.

The people in the game were complete one to one recreations of people, they were sentient A.I. Throws up the question of whether A.I should get human rights and how 'real' or 'humanlike' do they have to be to be get these rights. If Daly had just used the bodies as in game models and coded some limited form of consciousness, there would have been no problems.

Do you not understand what "based on" means? Star Wars could be a 1 for 1 rip of the The Hidden Fortress's cinematography and it still wouldn't be "based on" it.

Waldo Moment is fun if you apply death of the author, and view it as an episode about people like Russell Brand. Moronic comedians who get a bit of a following and suddenly think they're politicians, and that they actually know anything about the world beyond silly voices and knob gags. Charlie Brooker is basically one of those people though, and the episode was supposed to be about "muh UKIP" or something.

you are stupid

That shit actually bothers me a lot more as a plotpoint than most of the other dumb shit in the episode. You can't copy a person's memories and personality with a trace DNA sample taken off a damned coffee cup.

Is that GRRM?

I guess the writers forgot that everything about you is a social construct and nothing is determined by genetics. Very problematic of them.

It's another case of normalfags just not getting technology. Just because a simulation is really convincing, doesn't mean it's actually alive. There is no Pinnochio magic that makes a puppet into a real boy as long as it's just lifelike enough.

You can copy a person's DNA, doesn't mean you can copy their exact memories or personality.
Certain traits are genetic, yes, but twins aren't exactly the same personality wise, neither would a genetic copy be.

I think it was filmed in black and white to distract from the fact that the episode doesn't have any substance beyond "oh no, a killer robot!"

Requesting that tweet from the official account where they pretty much said that their fictional scenarios are better than the reality (of living in Trump's America).

The main thing I took out of that was: to be a fan something you have to have no complaints and love it 100%. Faggot, I'm the most critical of things I like. Don't pull that shit here.
At least I'm not a Star Wars fan. You can have it.