Ace Combat thread

Reccently started replaying these games, I had forgotten how good these games are. Besides I finally got to play ace combat 4. (Surprisingly short, I finished it in three hours of playtime.) AC5 is good for it's amount of content and having a good story, AC0 is cool for it's branching story. I guess I'll have to get Assault horizon legacy sometime in the future. What do you think of the series? Do you like it? Are you looking forward too Ace combat 7? What is your planefu? Mine is MiG-21.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/e-cre3yrTYQ?t=37s
rb-d2.itch.io/wingman
businessinsider.com/damning-report-on-f-35s-dogfighting-problems-2015-7
flightglobal.com/news/articles/f-35-locked-and-loaded-with-improved-block-3i-softwa-425098/
mega.nz/#!wNtx2SSR!53lBPgLMwkFDsOkn1mNNzv2xqAP9xuioONU1wE6PqTI
nettsteder.regjeringen.no/kampfly/2016/03/01/f-35-i-naerkamp-hva-har-jeg-laert-sa-langt-the-f-35-in-a-dogfight-what-have-i-learned-so-far/
zxstudio.org/blog/
rb-d2.tumblr.com/
danbooru.donmai.us/posts?tags=ace_combat
rule34.paheal.net/post/list/ace_combat/1
youtube.com/watch?v=t63k_amFU4c&list=PL7854FCCCBC9E9F96&index=15
gwiki.orz.hm/acinf/機体/X-49 -RN-
gwiki.orz.hm/acinf/機体/ADFX-01 -PX-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why do Belkans ruin everything?

Ace Combat 7 is gonna be shit

screen cap this

question
can you fuck the planes
this is very important

What would be a good one to start with?

Quite the prediction.

4, 5, 0 is what everyone says. Worked for me.

The X-02 Wyvern.

Actually started playing AC 5 two months back, and currently got 4 and Zero because of it. At first, I never expected to be so attached to the squadron nor the game, but after playing through the thing, I get all choked up from hearing the soundtrack or replaying a certain mission especially mission 27..

Of course.

Not really. Seeing the backlash on Assault Horizon is a bit worrisome, and these days it's a gamble to look forward to anything without getting your heartbroken.

Can't really pick one, but if I have to choose, I would pick the F-5 Tiger II.

Can't be worse than Assault Horizon.

My first Ace Combat game was Legacy and I played the fuck out of it. Bought 5 on PS2 a while ago. Haven't started it yet. Decided to play Assault Horizon because it's been in my steam backlog for ages. I'm half way done with the game and I want to kill myself. I don't think I've found a single mission I'd like to replay. The only redeemable thing about it are the visuals and music.

Nigger, fuck you.

GLORY TO BE BELKA

How come nobody ever talks about best game in these threads?

Assault Horizon is the worst game in the series. It wasn't even made by the same team IIRC. It's to Ace Combat what Thi4f was to the Thief series, or what Postal 3 is to the Postal series.

I have other AC games to play. Part of me wants to finish this game though. Because so often lately I just bail on games. But my fear is this game will beat the joy of jets out of me if I keep going.

Because that's not the JP version of 3.

Probably the best (Non hardcore flight sim) flight franchise out there, and probably the only good one on consoles.

I like a lot of it. I feel like it could be a bit more realistic with its flight properties (certainly not overly realistic) but overall it's a pretty fantastic game. Really fun.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Most of Assault Horizon's shitty gameplay changes were removed in Infinity, which is definitely a good thing, but Infinity also introduced microtransactions which is probably the most cancerous addition to any Ace Combat game in the history of the franchise. I'm hoping that Project Aces has enough sense to not add that shit in a main-series game.

I absolutely love the F-35A Lightning II. I'm studying to be an aerospace engineer and I find its design to be absolutely ingenious and it just looks beautiful.

If we limit things to just 4.5 gen and under then I would go with the F-20A Tigershark. Such a phenomenal fighter didn't deserve to be treated the way it was by the USAF and the Fighter Mafia.

I assume that video is from said clone. What's it called? I thought Vector Thrust was the only one.

I cannot love ACX more.

the one on the 3ds good?

It's great, much better than what the title has you believe. Reason being that it's a remake of AC2, and it was called AC3D in Nipland. It got changed to AHL to cash in on the really shit one.

Pretty good remake of Ace Combat 2. Though the circle pad sucks hard. I think they made a version for the n3DS that supports extra shoulder buttons and nub

They did, it's the same title but they added a + at the end.

It's damn fun. I haven't played the newest version of it. But I spent a ton of time replaying missions and unlocking planes/skins. Honestly if you see it, pick it up. It's worth it.

well it looks like I'll give it a try

>yfw you hear everyone singing journey home and you can almost hear chopper singing it too.

Don't do this to me user…

The journey begins, starts from within

I think I'm going to quit Assault Horizon. I hate not finishing a game, but I just can't stomach it anymore. I think I'll start up 5 or one of the PSP ISOs I have tomorrow.

Because not many people actually bought PSPs

Things that I need to know

The song of the bird echoed in words

For fucks sake somebody tell me what game this is. I NEED IT

Hey remember this? It might be what got me into fighter planes in the first place. I barely remember anything about it.

Did they fix issues with the ps2 emulation, with the non existent collisions and numerous graphical glitches?

youtu.be/e-cre3yrTYQ?t=37s

Ace Combat 6 doesn't get enough love.

It's shit.
What do you call a horse made by committee? A camel. Just kidding, it's the F-35.

It's not a game, yet. Casual shilling because I like what this guy is doing: rb-d2.itch.io/wingman

Well yeah, its short, and a lot of the missions are kinda lame, and the whole game has a weird greenish hue for some reason.

Sure, it is pretty, and has even better clouds than the later games on PS3, but 360 exclusivity and being the first Ace Combat with DLC kinda ruins it. Someday it'll get ported to PC.

I don't find 360 exclusivity any worse than PS2 exclusivity, given that PS2 emulation is hit-or-miss for a lot of people.
Also, it had huge battles. You really felt like you were part of a massive war.

Yeah, that was lame.

I can't recommend this movie enough, it's a fucking masterpiece.

Which kinda is a problem: it's Ace Combat. You're supposed to be combating aces, not tending to CAS every other mission and ground attack for a majority of the mission.

It has embed related. I think it might be my absolute favorite song in the entire series.

No matter how much you like the F-16, AV-8B, and F/A-18C/D, they NEED to be replaced. All three designs are ancient by aircraft standards. Just look at how long their predecessors served compared to them. Most were lucky to hit 20 years while the F-16 and F/A-18 are pushing 40, and the AV-8B's design is even older than that. You can only upgrade something so much before it's just plain obsolete. The F-35A, B, and C are all completely capable of taking on the roles of those aircraft and will be able to even support future technologies (such as piloting drones or using anti-missile lasers) that none of its predecessors would be capable of.

Didn't the F-35 completely lose in a mock dogfight against an F-16?

Is it really bingo time again? Jesus christ it's barely been a week.

No. It wasn't even a dogfight. It was a test to evaluate the control laws for the F-35's fly-by-wire system and its handling during high-AoA maneuvers. The media spun this as a dogfighting test when it's blatantly obvious that's not what it was. The report is public now, so go ahead and read it.

Godspeed you magnificent bastard

A-10. Pleb tier? I dunno.
I just love it's crude, rugged simplicity. Two big engines, titanium armour, stupidly fucking huge gun, and its fuck this, fuck you, fuck everything BRRRRRRRRRRT peace out niggers attitude.
Oh, you shot the shit out of my hydraulic control lines? Well fuck you cunts, I got backup wire cables to physically pull on my control surfaces, take your optical fibre and shove it up your ass.
I like how it was custom designed to do just one thing, and it does it perfectly, unlike the clusterfuck the F35 program turned out to be.
It's a shame Ace Combat doesn't love it as much as I do. There's this one mission in AC6, where you fly through a canyon under the radar to bomb something, A-10 was perfect for it. But after you complete the main objective, you get absolutely fucking swarmed with fighters that keep respawning until you manage to retreat. Like, wtf? They make the ideal A-10 mission, and then be like "lol fuck you should've picked an air superiority fighter".
It's not the only time the series had done that either.

>tfw callie briggs is the waifu to end all waifus

t. Lockheed Martin

But really, the F-35 isn't a bad concept, but it lost scope early and is fucked up by the multi-branch variants and being basically an export version of the F-22, without anything the F-22 has.

The F-16 could stand to have a few more modernizations, as well as the Super Hornet. The Harrier simply needs to be dumped and someone in DC needs to finally tell the Marines that they don't need fucking fixed wing fighter and attacker aircraft. They're Marines, not the Air Force. They don't need the F-35B, and it's even pushing it to say the Air Force needs the A variant. Anything the A does the F-22 can do better, and it was a fucking stupid decision to stop F-22 production and development, especially when F-35 dev cost has soared past what the F-22 dev cost was. I bet Lockheed had something to do with the decision to stop production of the F-22 due to it being export blocked, they want those sweet export contracts with different countries.

Yeah but even that test showed giant fucking flaws with the plane and the avionics, including that stupid as fuck helmet.
businessinsider.com/damning-report-on-f-35s-dogfighting-problems-2015-7

Also
flightglobal.com/news/articles/f-35-locked-and-loaded-with-improved-block-3i-softwa-425098/
The plane is a ticking software timebomb.

What ideally should have happened

Not pleb at all. The A-10's fucking great.

Pic related.

The GAU-8 can't even penetrate modern tank armor. The A-10 is nowadays a flying missile and guided bomb sled, not a flying gun.

You can't argue that it doesn't act like a flying gun in Ace Combat, though.

I can, not enough brrrt. Project Aces sound team is shit.

I think it's a fun flight arcade series that has just the right amount ludicrousness to prevent it being boring, until Assault Horizon came along.

First game was 6, explicitly bought a model 1 PS3because I'm too stupid to get a PS2 emulator to work to play 4, 5 and Zero. So yeah, I do.

I have cautious optimism it won't be absolute garbage, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
My planefu is the S-27 and it's derivatives. I don't usually like slav shit, but fuck this thing is cool.

THEN MAKE IT BIGGER

You want another Pentagon Wars, user?

The one true planefu is the SU-37 and no one can tell me otherwise.

>tfw it never reached production in real life.

It is a pretty amazing plane, thrust vectoring owns the skies, after all.

The thing about Ace Combat is that every plane's gun is exactly the same. The A-10's gun is one of its most distinctive features, and the game takes that away from it.

Vector Thrust makes an effort not to do that. Planes have accurate weapons to an extent. The A-10's gun is more powerful and its shots create small explosions when they hit, which makes it stand out. Even the generic homing missiles are a bit different between planes; newer planes supposedly have more accurate missiles.

Now if only they could fix the bugs, stop the game from crashing all the time, and actually made a substantial campaign…

If that's the case, why not get some extra life out of it by mounting them on m1128's and calling them an "Urban Pacification Vehicle"?

"Make the gun bigger" is a single, straightforward idea. Pentagon Wars shit would be if you wanted to make a bigger gun while also making the A-10 a stealth air superiority fighter with VTOL.

Because A. I believe the entire gun is bigger than that vehicle and it would be completely unstable, and B. the gun still has use on the A-10 as the main armament to use when encountering something lighter armored than a T-72 and not worth wasting AGM-65s or bombs on

Don't give them ideas

I NEED MORE HIGH QUALITY SQUAD EMBLEMS

Truly the planefu this thread deserves.

How about high quality scans?
mega.nz/#!wNtx2SSR!53lBPgLMwkFDsOkn1mNNzv2xqAP9xuioONU1wE6PqTI

You're welcome

Well, yeah, and a P-51 couldn't win against an F-16. But you can still appreciate that something was great for the era in which it was designed.

I doubt they need my help. They came up with the F-35 all on their own, after all.

The problem with the F-35 is the small weapons loadout they carry due to them having to use one of the weapons bays to store the kitchen sink.

And in Infinity a cute loli uses it as a fighter and command and control aircraft for a swarm of laser drones. How can you beat that?

But even by the A-10s introduction its gun was pretty outclassed by armor developments. Even the T-72 introduced in 1973 required pinpoint shots at specific parts of the tank to ensure penetration, or at least a mobility kill.

Warmongering criminals who murder civilians don't belong in the same post as respectable squadrons.

Isn't it still useful with tearing apart muslims from the sky?

The BRRRT couldn't penetrate the T-72A from the front at all, from the side more than a slant mile away and the rear from two. What the gun did, does, and has always been for in the first place is softer targets. Trucks, bridging equipment, lightly armored APCs, second or third line tanks (T-55s in particular), etc. The job of doing in true first line battle tanks has always been something for ATGMs or cluster munitions or other tanks.

Well put, user. Thank you.

Well, the A-10 weighs about 13,782 kg loaded(19,083 kg for anti-armor and 21,361 kg for CAS respectively) , the m1128 is about 18,770 kg.

The Length of the Gau-8 is about 6m for the total weapon system, the M1128 is 6.95m in length, it can probably carry it, since it does carry a 105mm M68 on it.

Plus imagine such a thing being painted matte black with "Search and Rescue" being written on the sides in Impact font. I want to live in that world user.

Sounds like quite the dream

The F-22 is a phenomenal design, but it really can't do all those things. This is like saying we don't need the F-16 because the F-15 can do everything just fine. The F-22 and F-35 are complementary fighters, they're meant to work together just like the F-16 and F-15 or the F/A-18 and F-14. The F-22 wouldn't exist without the F-35, and vice-versa. While I do agree that we need to expand the F-22 fleet, replacing the F-35A with the F-22 would be idiotic. The F-22 simply doesn't have the avionics package that the F-35 has, and modifying it to include them would be costly and time-consuming. You can't just take a plane and make it take on a role it was never designed for and expect it to work well, aircraft design is far more complex than that. Things like thrust-vectoring and supermaneuverability, things that were very important in the F-22's design, are downright useless in roles like CAS or E-warfare. They just add complexity and weight on an aircraft that doesn't need them, and that's why the F-35 doesn't have those things.

We were literally just over this user, there was no "dogfighting test". Read the damn report yourself. That test was to evaluate control laws and test its high-AoA handling. That article even sources War is Boring, which is probably one of the least reputable sources for F-35 information I can think of. When it comes to the helmet and cockpit, many pilots have stated it just takes getting used to and that you can look behind the plane just fine. A Norwegian F-35 pilot (formerly F-16) talked about this in an article he wrote here: nettsteder.regjeringen.no/kampfly/2016/03/01/f-35-i-naerkamp-hva-har-jeg-laert-sa-langt-the-f-35-in-a-dogfight-what-have-i-learned-so-far/

try harder.

Holy shit that's a good one. The Silent Eagle's unit cost is far above the F-35's full-rate production price. A single F-15SE would cost $100 million (2009 dollars) while the F-35A's FRP unit price is around $75 million (2016 dollars). That's more money for less stealth and less compatibility with future technologies. Once again, you can only upgrade an old design so much before it's just plain outdated. Also, are you seriously implying that it's a good idea to replace a small, lightweight multirole fighter with a large air-superiority fighter? Cause that's a fucking dumb idea. We're talking about the replacement for the F-16 here, remember? The F-15SE was marketed to countries who wanted the F-22 but couldn't get it. It can't really adequately measure up to the F-35 because it was never really meant to.

The problem, I think, is that the Pentagon is trying to shoehorn the F-35 into slots where the F-22 would be a better tool, presumably because F-22 production ceased. I would have no problem with the F-35 if people would stop pretending it's an air superiority fighter.

indeed fellow (((user)))

But less than developing the F-35 in the first place.

Well of course, the F-35 teaches us that 3 times over.

Why would the F-35 do something the A-10 and other electronic warfare aircraft already do and better?

The "dogfight" wasn't my point, my point was you have a pilot complaining about lack of visibility in the cockpit due to that god awful helmet. Lack of visibility is the biggest flaw any fighter could have, it's what separated early versions of the F4U, P-51, P-47, etc. from their later counterparts that had bubble canopies instead of greenhouse ones.

I did.

My point is the software suite development in general is a bungled fucking mess. Sure it fixed one problem, but is probably creating a bunch more in the future, especially when it has millions of lines of code at this point. That's a lot of potential for something to go wrong, and thus either ground the fleet or have a terrible accident.

Yes, but the development cost of the entire program would be dwarfed by the F-35's 1+ trillion dollar dev cost. Who cares if the F-35 unit cost is cheaper when the entire program costs more than any other weapons program ever?

Prove it. The Russians have been doing just fine with their aircraft.

For starters, the F-35A is a shit example of a multirole fighter to begin with. Secondly I didn't say the F-22 would replace it, rather the F-35A would be replaced by the Silent Eagle and more of the fighter aspect of the F-35A would be delegated to the F-22 fleet.

The F-16 replaces itself better than the F-35 ever could. Why is stealth (which is stretching the term considering the F-35's stealth isn't exactly great, and radar improvements are going to outpace stealth tech anyhow) needed for a multirole fighter? SEAD, which is better done by other aircraft or other technologies?

No, the F-35 was marketed as that.

this nigga called it

Great contribution.

[citation needed]

The F-35 is probably the worst example you could give in this instance. The three variants were all built as multirole fighters from the start. You clearly have zero understanding of aircraft design and development. A better example would have been Lockheed's attempt to convert the F-117 into a true fighter aircraft.

Because the A-10 is an aging aircraft that can't survive in a contested airspace and fighters in the electronic warfare role has been a thing for ages. See the EF-111 and EA-18G among others. Plus the F-16 already carries out those roles, so of course its replacement would be required to do them too.

There is only one report where a pilot had this issue. One. If you read the article I posted, that pilot was wearing the Gen 2 helmet and had no issues with it. He even lists the headrest as a bigger issue to turning than the helmet itself. But he also makes it clear that once he got used to it it wasn't an issue. Maybe you should base your opinions on a sample size greater than one.

Do you havisfaction a singlelicious satisfact to snack that up? It's not like the F-35's the first aircraft to have a digital avionics system (though it is the most advanced) and no fighter jet fleet has ever been grounded due to a software bug. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I am saying it's foolish to say that it WILL happen.

Damn you really haven't done your research have you? The F-35 program hasn't costed us anywhere near $1 trillion yet. The F-35 program will have costed us $1.508 trillion in 2070, 54 years from now, and also includes the costs for maintenance, production, and possible future upgrades for every single F-35 on earth. Plus that cost wasn't solely on the US. A shitload of countries are also paying and helping develop the program. You don't honestly think that the US was paying for this shit alone were you?

If their current aircraft were so great then why would they need to develop the T-50 or LMFS at all?

Ah yes, the F-35 is a shit example of a multirole fighter, as opposed to the F-15SE, the dedicated air-superiority and strike fighter, and the F-22, the other dedicated air-superiority and strike fighter. Neither the F-22 nor the F-15 is capable of properly replacing the F-35 due to cost. Both the F-22 and F-15 cost far more to operate than the F-35. A small single engine fighter will always be cheaper to operate than a large two engine fighter. The operating costs of the F-15 alone is the entire reason why the F-16 exists in the first place. There needs to be a cheap, lightweight fighter that can fly more often than the large, expensive fighters. That's the niche that the F-16 and F-35 fill.

Yeah sure you keep telling yourself that buddy. Tell me, what does the F-16 solidly beat the F-35 at? The F-35A is more than capable of being a proper replacement for the F-16.

Stealth has been demonstrated to offer a definite advantage over other aircraft in air combat. Hell, you can even see this demonstrated in non-stealth aircraft. Do you honestly think that there's no room to grow for stealth technology? Because you'd be very, very wrong there. Of course better radars will be developed, only an idiot will think there won't, however stealth technology will certainly grow with it. If stealth technology really were a sham like you seem to believe, then why would 9 different countries be independently developing and testing stealth fighters? And why would an even greater number of countries be interested in purchasing them?

Originally had a lot more here but I hit post limit :(

V I D E O G A M E S
I
D
E
O

G
A
M
E
S

W A R P L A N E S
A
R

P
L
A
N
E
S

Remember when Holla Forums was all about having fun and talking about our favorite games?

Me neither.

I haven't played any Ace Combat game, only a demo of the 1st or 2nd one on one of those PS1 "interactive cd". Was pretty entertaining.

I'm interested in AC7. Is there any new info about it besides the VR not being mandatory and who's in charge of the OST and scene?

Not really, they've been pretty tight-lipped since the initial reveal.

Aside of what you said, and that it's using Unreal Engine. That's pretty much it.

Almost a year since it was announced and almost no information so far. I don't know whether to be happy that they're not pushing pre-ordering or mad that we know literally nothing about this thing.

NO GAME, NO HYPE

Hopefully there will be something at the Tokyo Game Show in three weeks.

great contribution

They're probably going to show something at the Sony event in September, purely because of PSVR support. That said, I am kind of worried. Haven't heard a single thing in a year, and nips can't into Unreal Engine. I hope they manage to translate the feel from the old engine to this one.

So apparently all the DLC for AC6 has been removed from sale.
You can no longer be lady :(

w-what is this

The result of a hard-fought battle between Mobius 1 and the Yellow Squadron. Strategic ISAF victory.

Also don't forget this
zxstudio.org/blog/

I loved AC5 because of how it let you know the enemy knows who you are, and rightfully fears you.
It just feels so good hearing the Belkans panicking and freaking out over "The ghosts of Razgriz!"
Reminded me of the earlier Halo games where the grunts would run from you and call you "THE DEMON!"
Or of the Metroid Prime series when reading through Space Pirate logs and seeing them in a panic over "THE HUNTER!"

I love that feeling too user.

I hope we get to play a new qt female pilot.

I just played through all of them on ps2 on a whim and holy shit i had no idea what i'd been missing. 0 was kind of a let down after 5 though. 5 had everything, and I still get goosebumps whenever I hear "the demons of razgriz". A lesser game would have ended when you save the president but 5 gives you a badass emblem and black planes instead.

Even if you play a female pilot, you'd have no way of knowing what she looks like. No AC game has ever shown your character's face.

not true. AC5 does once

All I remember is a picture where your guy is in it but their face is covered by someone else's hand or something.

He has a Tumblr, too: rb-d2.tumblr.com/

I'm intrigued, but apparently modding support isn't a certainty. That's a pretty big thing for me.

The body of blaze is shown, but his face is always obscured by someone or something. Though I wouldn't mind playing a qt pilot or a handsome one, and not know what they fully look like either.

Well maybe we'll get to see the body of our new female protagonist if you catch my drift

Yesterday I watched an old TV movie called Flight of Black Angel. It was kind of funny to see Dead Meat from Hot Shots! playing a psychotic fighter pilot who thinks God told him to steal a tactical nuke and go rogue.

Also, I like the F-16 a lot.

Now the only acceptable way to play is to get it on a hacked 360, I guess.

It doesn't really matter who your player is since you'll never see them. I just want my squadmates with banter.

>if you catch my drift
Pic related. regardless of the sex of the pilot, i don't mind seeing either way

Same here.

This nigga caught the drift

The modern day Marine Corps is built around being entirely self reliant once they hit the beaches. That includes air support. The Marines are an expeditionary force so they have to be able to handle everything on their own for weeks or months cut off from friendly forces. Guadalcanal taught them the value of having their own fixed winged aircraft and them giving up something that important is extremely unlikely to happen.

In addition to that you have the massive advantage of turning nine amphibious assault ships into light carriers.

Ace Combat is shit and you have no proof to prove me otherwise.

kys tbqh famalamadingdong

Ayo famalamborghini chill tf out

This guy gets it.

The fun I have while playing it is ample proof otherwise.

They asked what game people wanted to see remade out of 3, 4, and 5. 5 won which is shame since I'd rather see a full remake of AC3 done since 7 is moving towards the futuristic setting, and America can finally get what the game actually was supposed to be instead of the godawful abortion that was ported to the PS1.

That would be some cute shit.

I like to imagine the rest of the squadron started shooting cockpits because every single one of them shut the fuck up when it was about over

(checked)
My favorite was the mission where you bomb a supply depot hidden under some mountains and you're constantly being hounded by ghost SAMs. Your faggot wingmen are nearly at their worst when they're constantly whining about fatigue (except Edge for some reason) then you start landing some hits in the depot. A fire alarm goes off and the Jungle Slaves start shrieking in pure terror and one guy goes "Get out of there! You're gonna get fried!" Then your faggot wingmen finally shut the fuck when they realize what they are doing. Then you still hear the siren as most of the voices go deathly silent and the ghost SAMs stop shooting you by the end of the mission.

The best part of this mission wasn't the fact that you became an insane mass murderer for 12 minutes. It was the fact that it immediately followed that godawful airport defense mission when you are forced to use your air superiority fighters that took out bombers the mission before to protect a civilian airport from magically teleporting (((Belkan))) tanks and sudden airforce, none of which think to bring down the airliners full of people down on the city and cause thousands of deaths. The depot mission was set up to nightmarishly cathartic and I loved every minute of it

Does rule 34 of this game exist? I must know, for science.

F-14D Super Tomcat.

danbooru.donmai.us/posts?tags=ace_combat
rule34.paheal.net/post/list/ace_combat/1

No

Went back and found the level. Apparently you could strafe the people shooting Stingers at you if you knew their source and the mountains develop holes where the ammo dumps were. Somehow I missed all that in my god-knows-how-many runs

If you have an i7 CPU, use these settings in PCSX2 to properly emulate Ace Combat 4/5/0.

OpenGL Software mode gives the most accurate emulation. DirectX 9 or 11 Software mode has some annoying black border issues but that's minor at best, should you absolutely need to use it.

Edge Anti-Aliasing makes the HUD elements render properly. Mipmapping renders the textures properly. Settings the Rendering threads to 6 gives it the final speed boost it needs to maintain 60fps.

The minor slow down in this WebM was only because of the recording software stealing CPU power. Just playing runs perfectly.

Is it really that rare for people to play in first-person cockpit mode? That's how I always play. I was very disappointed to find that Vector Thrust has no cockpits.

I usually play in first-person cockpit view.

I never liked cockpit view since it obscures so much of your view. I respect your devotion to realism, though.

Hearing the enemy terrified to witness Mobius 1 was better, because all it took was a single pilot rather than a squad to make them shit themselves.

I always use third person just because I like to see the control surfaces do their thing

I find it also makes the planes feel more different. Going back to Vector Thrust, I find that even though there are a ton of planes, a lot of them feel the same without different cockpits to distinguish them. I've started playing in third person so I can see my plane, and it helps.

Yeah, I'm starting to see the appeal from playing Vector Thrust in third person. I don't have access to my PS2 right now, so it's the closest I can get to AC, and it's fun to actually see my plane in action. I wasn't sure I'd like the cel shaded art style, but I do.

(checked)
I always wondered what happened to the SR-71 and its pilots and why they were flying so low to be intercepted

(and checked)
It wasn't that great since your view is limited and until 6 came out you didn't even have animated instruments like airspeed and attitude indicators. You're better off with just HUD view or third person to see your plane and your wings sweeping.

Not to mention that AWACS says they are at 6000 feet but then they come in around 3200 feet.

If I had to guess it was having mechanical trouble and that was also why they didn't respond and subsequently crashed during the dogfight with the Belkan/Yukes

I always played in cockpit mode. Sometimes I'll take a peek at the actual plane, but not during combat.

The mission briefing said the SR-71 was damaged by a SAM.

I'm not so fond of cockpit mode because it obscures your vision on a lot of planes.
On some it's better than others, but the ones that suck, REALLY suck.
And I just don't like third person because of the camera jerking when adjusting pitch.

Just get pcsx2 and get the iso from emuparadise. Pcsx2 has come a long way, you can play pretty much any ps2 game without slowdown or graphical glitches now.

Except AC is currently and will still be broken for a while, until they get around to rewriting the texture cache which is likely not anytime soon.

Basically the problem comes from AC using a custom mipmapping implementation that completely breaks with the workaround PCSX2 uses to bypass that in other games.

CAN YOU TAKE IT ALL AWAY

Can you take it all away
Well you shoved it in my face

It might be ugly as fuck, but holy hell it is FAST.

I have 5 on ps2 but I wanted to emulate 4 and zero. Kept getting ugly glitches when i raised the resolution and I said fuck playing it on native.

Nigger we just discussed this. Just use these settings

AC runs fine on PCSX2. I use these settings as well on my laptop and it's great. I wish we could get a 60fps hack someday though.

Just play it on native, you get used to it after a while

Belka did nothing wrong. Osea took advantage of their economic struggles to gain land. Belka had to fight back.

Thought he meant HW mode, disregard I said anything then.

Flight Highschool has some great comics with the MiG-25/31

Any Su-37 comics?

Ace Combat is 60fps though… The emulator straight up says it's running at 59.94fps. 5 and 0 are definitely too smooth to be 30fps.

Who's SAM? Osean? Belkan? Why was it flying low enough to be hit by one? It's just so weird that the SR-71 and its pilots are just forgotten about so quickly

That could be the emulator. I had some N64 games run near 60FPS on a fucking phone's emulator even though I know for a fact that they never were as smooth on the original console.

This game isn't even good, like jets aren't even real nigga, like I ain't even feel the combat in this ace.

Osean. Modern SAMs can easily get up to the SR-71's height range.

It then explodes in midair shortly after the Yuke fighters arrive.

Nothing specifically about the Su-37, but there's definitely a few comics satirizing the sheer size of the Su-27 family of fighters. Also a fair few poking fun at the Su-47. There's actually a pretty funny one where Su-47 gets caught talking to a picture of the ASF-X from Ace Combat Infinity.

Part 1 of Su-47 comic

part 2 (plus continuation)

see
.>>10505323

Fucked that one up

I know it has been quite a long time since I played 5 but I could have sworn Chopper remarked that the plane crashed either in the ocean or on Sand Island.

Spontaneous combustion seems to be the standard procedure for removing NPCs from the map when they're no longer useful. It happened to the guy who was supposed to replace Captain Steve Blum and the people and ships that get shot down by the burst missiles since most friendlies are immune to enemy fire otherwise

Yeah, software mode works fine. I have some slowdown on the rainy levels but fiddling around with the presets in emulation options fixes it.

What specific settings did you change?

Yeah that was hilarious on my second go through, after I learned how to actually play the game well

Well good I've cleared the airspace and he should be fine

Cream of the Osean airforce right there.

Just remembered something else about cockpit mode: Different planes' guns actually made different sounds if you played with the cockpit on. In HUD-only mode, every gun makes the same generic sound.

Did they even say there was anything wrong with his plane? All I remember is that he said he was out of fuel. If anything, that would make your plane *less* likely to explode.

I also have to wonder what else they expected him to do except try to land despite the danger. Eject, I guess.

If you tail far enough behind him, you can see some Yuke fighters following him. After he gets shot down the HUD updates so you can target the fighters.

Huh. Never noticed them but then again my TV was kinda crap.

In Vector Thrust news: I WANT THIS SO MUCH

But that's not even remotely what the YF-12 looked like. It's supposed to be a interceptor that can go fast but not much else, it would suck really hard in a dogfight, like, worse than the MiG-31. The YF-12 was pretty much exclusively a BVR fighter.

ay cool fam but lemme ax u sumtin do u think dat like a nigga i mean like a real nigga doe do u think dat a real nigga wud put hiz dik in a vacuum juz like wun time ta see wut it really felt like u kno whut im sayin cuz i aint kno any niggaz who did that but like if dey wuz thinkin bout it i mean like it aint really dat weird u kno

It says YF-12 family, but the plane itself is labeled CL-1000-53. Meaning it's probably some kind of predecessor plane and the YF-12 itself is further in.

As for dogfighting: I don't give a shit. I just want to go fast. The Mig-31 isn't in the game so I have to make due with this and the streak eagle.

This, the CL-1000-53 is a concept of the YF-12, pro-tip is says it in the bottom right corner.

Whoa, Bartlett's Yuke girlfriend has the same voice actress as Aribeth from NWN. I never knew that before.

Nagase could be fucking SCARY when she wanted to be.

youtube.com/watch?v=t63k_amFU4c&list=PL7854FCCCBC9E9F96&index=15

I just used the preset slider. Setting number 2 works for me, if that doesn't work try 3. Also, I don't understand why, but switching the view mode will often fix slowdown. I don't know if it's something to do with rendering the plane in 3rd person or what.

I guess it should be sign of things going to shit where a good chunk of the airforce are full of underranked pilots since most modern airforces need officers with experience to even let people fly and Osea sends people who don't know how to pull the flight stick back and push the throttle forward to climb and have those people man the frontline. Oh and the guy voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch is only an airman when he becomes a wingmate

A lot the actors in the PS2 games are big in the voice acting and anime dubbing scene.

I just realized that the Demons of Razgriz theme is the song that plays during this trailer. I would flip my fucking tits if that squad made a return in 7.

The problem with the F35 is that the B variant fucked up everything

There should be a regular and a naval variant and thats it, that alone would replace the F15, F16, FA18 and others

Fuck even a CAS variant with bigger wings and shit would fucked up the design less than a shitty VTOL fan did

The muhrines could keep using the harrier and get fucked

You high nigger?

Love the fact that they based the Yuke girlfriend on Balalaika from Black Lagoon.

Shoot I didn't notice that until now.

That would be pretty surprising and very heartwarming to see the squad again.

I can confirm that playing in 3rd person slows down the emulation. Good thing I hate playing in third person.

That trailer was really poorly animated.

If we get Assault Horizon physics again I'm fucking done.

After playing a few missions in 0 in first person mode without the cockpit on recommendation of this thread I can say that first person is much more exhilarating and also a little bit easier so nothing of value was lost.

BVR in the early '60s was firing nuclear-tipped rockets into bomber formations.

This is a pretty common misconception that I used to believe as well. After all, the lift fan changes the appearance of the Bee and it does look like a dominant part of the design. However, the size of the aircraft wasn't dictated by the lift fan, but the internal weapons bays. Lift fan or no the F-35 would still look pretty similar to this final design. Also, it really seems like a lot of the hate on here for the Bee is also just directed at the Marines, instead of actually criticizing the aircraft.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. The YF-12A was equipped with the AIM-47 Falcon, a missile with a range of at least 100 miles. It had a nuclear warhead at one point as well but it was replaced with a 100-pound high-explosive warhead.

(checked)
It also doesn't help that the Britcucks wouldn't make up their mind for the longest time on whether or not they would make a proper fucking carrier so they would use the F-35C instead of helping the Marines and the kikes at Lockheed to force the B to be a thing

Atta boy.

Currently playing 4, and so far it's very exhilarating.

Open source Ace Combat soon fellow ace

This is some monkey's paw bullshit.

online multiplayer and idolmaster skins?

I don't get it, it seems like the shit that would do well on that platform?

I only have a laptop with entry-level gpu (710m). Will I be able to properly emulate the PS2 AC trilogy?

AC:AH did.

These are comments from people I know have zero experiencing working with aircraft of any type. Let me tell you from a mechanic point of view why the F-35 and sadly why the F-16 is a bit shit They are too fucking fragile and complicated meaning that if anything so much as gives them a mean look they go down. Hell weather conditions can play absolute havoc with avionics. It bit the US on the ass hard when we went into Panama, we lost a few F-16's and Blackhawks mainly Blackhawks due to their electronics cutting out due to the humid conditions, meaning their engines cut out. Their wires literally eroded. Maintaining these aircraft is like having them hooked up to a life support machine constantly and if you are having to literally strip apart the aircraft and rebuild it from the ground up each time you perform maintenance then you know there eventually is going to be a horrible accident. There is a lot to be said about simpler sturdy aircraft, it's because it's not a miracle each time they go up in the air they actually work!

But no doubt you young ones will just dismiss this, cause you never ever get to see what actually goes on behind the closed doors of a hangar.

would you have preferred the f-20 going into service instead?

don't think you have to be an airplane mechanic to see how those things can go wrong though, since you only have to look at modern automotive tech to see how bad complicating an interface can be

Northrop can actually make pretty good planes, hell there was a reason why the Navy fought bitterly to get the YF-17 adopted as the F-18.

Probably the reason why they don't get more contracts is because their sales team must absolutely suck, or more likely and this is the sad part, they didn't line the pockets of enough Senators which is usually how it goes. No joke, you'll be taught how to pour a mean martini in the Airforce cause you want to get more money.

It's because it was done on a complete shoestring budget. Not to mention is has a horrible F2P system in it's own stamina form. There's a plane in there that if you were to purchase fuel to max it out it would cost over $3500 easy. Not to mention having to get "skilled pilot medals" to even unlock it.

Jesus Christ. This makes black desert online's ingame shop prices look like nothing.

I don't know why, but it seems that scene where Admiral Andersen says "Yes, Kestrel" became a small meme in the Japanese fanbase

ACX was fucking boss, shame they didn't implement the features in other games

Well the actual gameplay is actually solid unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it. That price is an estimate for one particular superplane that's a tiny bit better power wise then the one that's one tier below. All superplane types generally have a discount option. The only pay-waled weapon being EML and somewhat LSWM if you aren't patient.
Here's the overly expensive plane
gwiki.orz.hm/acinf/機体/X-49 -RN-
And the just as good essentially alternative plane that's everyones pal.
gwiki.orz.hm/acinf/機体/ADFX-01 -PX-

if the F-35 is so good why does it perform like shit?

Nooo, my planefu….

Shit, the sortie fuel was bad enough but did they really go full retard on the microtransactions when I wasn't around?

the coins are just the replacement rewards for the "tournaments" similar to the ticket shop. 100 coins for top 200 planes 20 for top 1000 with some 500 coin and 1000 coin planes. So yes and no, you can save coins for the plane you want if you don't want to buy fuel now so in a sense it's ok, but you don't get the whole package as in each item you would get for a 200 rank is 100 coins each.
Yes getting top 200 in a current spend as much damn fuel as possible event gives 100 coins.
Real shame too since the AC3 planes get their own unique hud.

The trailers for Infinity had me really excited, I was crushed when I learned it was a F2P game.

just made this, thought it wud b laff

original included for actual photoshopfag

yes it can

Ace Combat always struck me as a game that didn't need you to play the tutorial. I don't think I ever did.

I didn't even realize the tutorial was there. Maybe it can teach me how to use all those other weird bombs instead of sticking to plain old UGBs all the time.

The tutorial doesn't mention any special weapons aside from UGB, XMAA and SAAM. Really the only other weapon in the game that's actually complicated enough to warrant a tutorial is the BDSP, but you can figure that out just through trial and error.

Speaking of that? How do you guys use that weapon? Whenever I use that weapon, I always miss my target or it's pure luck of actually destroying the target with it.

I didn't even know any Ace Combat had a tutorial. I just played the game and learned how to play as I went on.

It made 04's campaign all the more satisfying since I really felt I went from a nobody to a full-fledged Ribbon

If you're aiming at a ship, try to aim about one ship-length ahead of the target (yes, they actually move that fast).

Eventually, supposedly.

Parts were implemented in Cross Rumble. It's a pretty solid title if you have a 3DS.

You really don't. The only really useful thing I can think of that wasn't obvious was high G turns. I only figured those out since the AH: Legacy stresses that you need to use them and sure enough, they're in Ace Combat 6 as well

I must be an idiot, then, because I never figured out how to use anything other than the UGB effectively.

user, I… how did you even play?

Thanks for the tip. I'm currently playing AC4, and I'm in the mission where you have to destroy the solar panels.

Pic related. That's pretty impressive, user.

I picked up Ace Combat 4 and 5 the other day at my local store. Which do I start with?
I'm assuming I should start with 4, but maybe 5 is much better?

Start with 4 user.

Start with 4.

Nope, it was made by Project Aces themselves. No farming out to other companies

Namco wanted to get the Call of Duty audience and PA showed them what that looked like
The story was written by some New York Times bestseller author, which may explain everything

That was the beauty of AC6, in my opinion, Talisman is a different kind of ace. There is a sense of loyalty between the player and NPC allies because Talisman isn't a mercenary dog or a nugget nobody knew, he's a ranking Captain in the Emmerian air force. Your allies trust you to help them and are eager to return the favor if you order them. It's fun flying around, saving all the other squadrons, and then unleashing hell on earth in the form of full barrages from all the allies you saved on that mission with a Allied Attack order. Even the shitty tank squads and battleships you help out join in with artillery fire, and it's gratifying to see your hard work reciprocated once in a while.

But you're right, there weren't enough deadly enemies to confront. They tried to pad you over by having you face both the old and new Strigon team along with a few other Stovie aces here and there, but they really spoiled players with the amount of elite enemy forces ACZ threw at you. I suppose the challenge of the game comes more in the form of being efficient with your time on different operations across huge maps instead of dogfighting for aerial superiority. And even when you crank it up to Ace of Aces, you only get that rush of having to take on the deadliest pilots in the worst possible situations for five missions. The Aigaion was pretty cool, but when it comes to stupid ass super weapons, Belka does it better. Chandelier sucks.

Technically, the Aigaion itself is still a Belkan design. You even go up against the Belkan who was in charge of the project as an enemy ace on the higher difficulties as he defends his own baby.

Apparently the novel that was written for AH isn't bad. "The last Ace" it was called, Namco ended up cutting massive chunks of it out. Kono's obsession for setpieces didn't help with AH either.

It can't be easy to see through that visor.

How well of a introduction to the series would the PC games be? I played a little bit of one of the PS1 releases and a demo of a PS3 one.

Intro into AC? Absolutely horrible. It's a different universe that forces you to play in an odd way and you're not in a plane the whole time. Best to start with either AC2 or 4.

Progress is exciting. Here's to hoping it actually gets fully translated.

Are the PC games worth playing from a lore/enjoyment aspect alone?

Enjoyment, maybe? If you haven't played much of any other AC games, it's alright. Definitely one of the weaker titles, annoying QTEs thay in the end mean nothing. Lore? Nope. Absolutely no reason to play for the lore. It's a different universe from Strangereal, one based on normal Earth. I think it's the same universe as X2 on PSP and Infinity, but otherwise you'll get nothing of value.

I'd say get it for $5 when it inevitably goes on sale, but don't be surprised if it's shit. A slightly better game to get, despite is not being related at all, is Vector Thrust. It's the closest thing to an Ace Combat clone I've seen. Last I played it was a bit buggy, but otherwise good.

Not really. Thats the tragedy of the AC series is they are confined to the consoles. You'll want to buy a cheap PS2 slim in order to play them.

It's how I played Zero, and how I should preserve my discs of 4 and 5. Great system.

Thanks everyone for the (timely) advice.

I assume the Tony H.A.W.K series can't be considered a clone then?
What type of bugs mainly? If it is graphical, I can live with those.

I have a slim and a PS3 (that doesn't have PS2 emulation hardware). The systems have polar opposite problems, the with the PS2 I can insert disks and ~99.99% of the time they will boot up just fine. However very recently I decided to play with the system again only for the memory card that I probably used the most to lose about 80% of it's data.

On the other hand about or even less than 50% of the time the PS3 doesn't read the disk a first (second, third, four, etc) time. However I be relatively shure that data won't get deleted untill I decide to do so. I know that the optical drive is going but I can't really justify spending money on it when I use my PC way way more.

Being able to pop disks in, have them read the first time and that it is very compact. Is pushing me very heavily towards finding it more likable than the PS3. I stupidly sold most of my PS2 collection to finance the PS3 one.

I would suggest getting WinCemu and then putting the disks in a optical bay, then selecting "make an ISO". As for the physical disks,the case they came in is fine or a optical case.

Never played H.A.W.X, haven't heard good things though.

You should still get a PS2 fat and a HDD for ease of playing other games.

If you want an introduction to Ace Combat on PC, you're better off with Vector Thrust despite all its problems.

Weren't there a couple of fans working on Ace Combat campaign mods for Vector Thrust? I haven't touched VT in forever since it was still a buggy mess.

It crashes. All the time. You'll probably exit the game because of a crash more often than because you actually chose to quit. It can even crash when you pause it.

Framerate is another problem. Even if you have a system that's better than the recommended specs, large missions with a lot of objects will still slow the game down significantly.

The gun sight could be better. Instead of that floating circle thing that you try to move over the target, there's a lead indicator like you'd see in Freespace or Wing Commander. That might not be too big of a problem if it weren't for the fact that your actual gun sight appears and disappears at random, and you often have to fire the gun to make it appear. It also disappears as soon as you stop firing. What this means is that you'll waste several bullets just to be able to aim properly.

It's not uncommon for an enemy plane to fly through the ground and stay there. This is a big problem if it's a plane you need to destroy for the mission, because naturally the ground will block all your weapons from hitting it.

Also, there's not a lot of content. The included campaign is quite short and feels more like the first act of a story than an entire story in itself. Despite the game's high level of moddability, very few people have made any missions (though there are some).

The lack of cockpits is something I find annoying, but it might not be a big deal for you.

Ironically, the graphics are the one thing that seems to work perfectly.

In spite of all this, I still think the game has a lot of potential and could still be saved. The gameplay is very good. It set out to emulate Ace Combat, and it does so very well. It even improves on Ace Combat in a few ways. Newer planes have more accurate missiles, not every plane's gun is the same, and you actually have countermeasures to deal with missiles instead of relying entirely on dodging (although it would be nice to give me some indication of whether I'm being tracked by a heat-seeking missile or a radar-guided one so I know whether to use chaff or flares and don't just spam both). I also really like games that allow for modding, and Vector Thrust was designed to be modded from the beginning. I even like the art style and think it makes the game unique. I'm really pulling for the developer to fix things up and make a longer campaign.

I don't know. I haven't seen anything about it on the game's Steam forum or while browsing its Moddb page. It would be a worthy project, though.

One more (minor) thing: Despite the huge number of planes, the F-18 is conspicuously absent. That's not a major mark against the game, especially because it could be easily fixed even by a modder, but it's still something that stands out.

Also, if someone could give me the actual term for this so I don't have to keep sounding like an idiot when I talk about it, I'd appreciate it.

Projected impact point indicator, more commonly referred to as a pipper.

The pipper shows up when you're 800 meters from the target. However, effective range varies particularly against ground targets and I've hit buildings from two kilometers away. I'm guessing each plane has it's own effective gun range, but the UI only uses the default 800 meters.

BELKA DID NOTHING WRONG

Well son of a bitch, you're right. Still bad UI design, though. Like you said, every plane seems to have its own gun range. I know I've made gun kills from farther away than 800 meters, on both air and ground targets. The UI should adjust for this. I think I also might still prefer a traditional moving pipper instead of a fixed one. It's weird that the dev put a few more nods to realism in Vector Thrust than Ace Combat has, and then he did the gun sight in an unrealistic way when even Ace Combat uses the system that real fighter planes have.